• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do I almost always have to play as a good character?

Fahdis

Big Boss
Heihachi
Playing as a mercenary in Ace Combat 0 - Garm 1

All fallen from Grace and Heroes.

Also, Thanos did nothing wrong.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Because most people prefer to play as the good guy. That's literally it.

Under 10% of Mass Effect players went Renegade when given the choice.

anthraticus

Banned
Play RPGs like the KotoR games (if you like SW), Planescape, Mask of the Betrayer, Arcanum, Age of Decedance, Fallout 1/2/NV

Kane&Lynch is imho one of the few games were they fully commited to having bad guys as the playable characters, one even pretty mental, and only small glimpses of having some morales and care for others.
Whiny Kratos, or forced choice in Spec Ops, or just changed colors and slightly annoyed friends in Infamous (or some RPGs) never have the same impact.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Cause gamers brains implode if you're not playing the good guy (the Last of Us 2)
Abby wasn't the bad guy, hell by most standards she had all rights to go after Joel, people didn't like that game because some parts of the story really sucked.

Laptop1991

You shouldn't in games, you should be able to play the way you want, good, bad, neutral or a combination of them.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Talking about TLOU again...... 😶‍🌫️

ZEsn4rl.jpg

Gandih42

Tyranny was a pretty good stab at a nuanced take on playing as the "Evil" side of a story. You're essentially the enforcer of a ruthless conquerer and most of the cast have very little regard and empathy for the lives of others, but it's still very grounded in terms of how things unfold. Its never (to my recollection anyway) outright comically evil ala "muahahaha I will eat your children" kind of stuff.

I think most games that lets the player be "Evil" leans more on the comical, power fantasy side of things. Because first of all, most people probably (hopefully) don't really connect well with being truly Evil. And while a story from the point of view of an "Evil" character can be incredibly interesting, it's also a lot less digestible than following a more traditional Good character. If its a power fantasy (ala God of War), morality doesn't really matter because it's about the spectacle and gore. You don't actually feel like you're an Evil man killing innocent people, you're a badass anti-hero fighting monsters and comically killing health potions disguised as people.

I think Spec-Ops: The Line is a great example of what "Evil" plays like, and is a thoroughly unpleasant but interesting experience.

k_trout

last year I played a whole bunch of From soft games, and not really following the stories I felt the whole time like I was the bad guy
oh and Mario, he's a psychopath

Majukun

Because research shows that an overwhelming amount of people, even when given the choice to do otherwise, decide to role play as decent human beings, at least in the first playthrough.

Although part of this might be dictated by the fear of missing some content if you are a jerk to npcs... I remember only games like alpha protocol making "bad guys choices" actually open up new content instead of locking you out of it.

Last edited:

Hugare

Thats why I have one dope idea for an RPG, OP

You start the game playing as the "warriors of light" reaching the end boss. You try to defeat him, but you can't. He defeats you, everyone gets killed, world ends.

Then the end boss enjoy his world domination for some centuries, but eventually gets bored. No one to challenge him.

So he disguises himself as a human and go find the reincarnations of all the "warriors of light" to prep them to take down the end boss (himself)

Monsters would recognize you during battle and would be afraid to hit you, only hurting your party. You are immortal, so you "die" when all your team mates fall in battle, but you take no hits.

Gimme money to make a pixel RPG like this, Square

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Pearl clutching establishment.

Up until the 2000s it was the theological conservatives.

Nowadays it's them as well as liberals.

Shut0wen

If a game has the option i do my own choices but always do the bad choices on the metro series as its legit canon

Neo_GAF

Banned
why is the US always depicted as the good guys?
why were white bald dudes only playable for a long time in games?

oji-san

Banned
I always play as the good guy, i remember even feeling sorry for stealing in one of the Metro games.

Toots

Gold Member
I'm playing Jedi Survival right now and as almost always, you're the good one. Especially here it would make sense that the main character changes to the Dark Side. Or at least give me the option to be the bad guy. In Mass Effect I was sometimes good sometimes evil. The same in Fable. Gives us some choice. I don't want to play the same stuff all the time.
I thought that you meant, almost always play good character when you have the choice to be bad.
My answer would be, because it makes me sad doing bad stuff even to brainless pnj. Plus often being bad in video games really mean being a cringy edge lord.

Toots

Gold Member
You can play as Razor Ramon in WWF Wrestlemania . "Bad Times don't last, but bad guys do! "

AUTv.gif
Hey yo Spyxos Spyxos ! You’re here in your thread talking about how you want to play bad guys and not just goody two shoes heroes. Well Big Kev, SEGA_2012 SEGA_2012 and I were in the back and we just wanted to let you know….. WE DONT CARE…. Hey yo…

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Because even if you make a game where you’re the bad guy, people will rather rebuy GTAV.

Also, most people are the bad guy in their daily life one way or another. It’s understandable they want to be a candid hero when they have the chance.

Top Bottom