• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3rd person perspective feels so good.

Patrick S.

Banned
I play DayZ, and I prefer first person view, because for me it’s much more immersive. I really feel like I am the character on the screen. Sometimes I play in third person because of the higher FOV and situational awareness, and it’s also nice to actually see you character. But I never feel like I am that character, only that I’m controlling him.

For a game that involves moving your body in any significant way (rather than just aiming a gun, where 1st person makes sense), it's more natural to use a third person view. Even in dreams, people often report being sort of inside and outside their body, seeing their actions in some way. Our awareness of body and space makes the first-person camera view actually feel very unreal and different from our natural mode of experience.

There's one great design solution that can work around this limitation, documented thoroughly in this strictly academic thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nsfw-best-butts-in-gaming.1509664/#post-255847300
Forget dreams - half my real-life memories are in third person!

Aces High

3rd person games with beautiful character models and high quality animations are the best.

1st person games with focus on gear are the worst. I mean wtf?

SHA

Yes, but first person games are more likely to count them your favorites than 3rd person games cause they're scares, you could barely name 20 3rd person games in the last 10 years, maybe that's alot for some but not me.

I don’t mind first person, but I always preferred third person. I like seeing the characters and their animations interacting with the environments.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Depends on the game.

For a shooter I prefer a first person view. For an action game, like God of War, third person is the way.

Ideally most games would have both views for player choice. GTA V or Fallout are good examples of games that work great in both first and third person.

poodaddy

I vastly prefer first person. Never really liked the idea of a third of my field of view being taken up by a clunky ass character model, I wanna see everything.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I don't know what it is, but swinging a sword or even shooting a gun in third person feels so damn good. I play a lot of genres, but recently when playing Remnant II I once again felt that "ohhh yeah this is home" with the perspective.

What makes it so good?! Most of my favorite games are third person. Dark Souls, Metal Gear, Resident Evil (sometimes), Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, etc. There's something so satisfying about controlling a character from this perspective.

First person feels more "immersive", but that's about all I can think of that is superior. Outside of shooters (and hell, SOCOM II and Ghost Recon 2 are some of my all-time favorites, so not even all shooters) I prefer third person.

Side-scrolling is a close second.

I don't really know what the point of this thread is, but what can ya do.
Exactly why we need SOCOM back PRONTO. FPS’s are getting TIRED and STALE.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Exactly why we need SOCOM back PRONTO. FPS’s are getting TIRED and STALE.

More shooters should offer a blend of first person and third person cover mechanics, like in Rainbow Six: Vegas. It was so cool, I'm not sure why it's not implemented more.

REDRZA MWS

More shooters should offer a blend of first person and third person cover mechanics, like in Rainbow Six: Vegas. It was so cool, I'm not sure why it's not implemented more.

I love Rainbow Six Vegas, and the old Ghost Recon games. Gears does an awesome job of 3rd person with cover mechanics. Id love a military tactical 3rd person cover shooter such as a new gen SOCOM or if UBI would bring back the old GR games.

Arachnid

Yeah, it's easily the best. I feel like I just tolerate first person when I'm forced to, but 3rd always feels better (RE7 vs RE2/4make for example).

Same. I pretty much just like first person while in VR, and even in the VR space I wish there was more 3rd person games like Astrobot.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
No issue with third person shooters, I don’t think it was the demise of socom.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I think I’m becoming more of a third person guy these days. I’m really curious how Starfield is going to play in it. I know iD helped Bethesda with animations and shooting, so I’m curious how much improved it is.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Third person has more potential for unique perspectives in a way that first person cannot replicate, like that Driver San Fransico example where they create a '2nd person' perspective by fusing both perspectives together, turning another driving car into your camera. Not to mention the better sensory perception for games. But 99% of games being third person over the shoulder is fucking boring to me. It sort of takes away the fun of third person when you can only see above the torso and your character movement is locked to your camera for aiming purposes.

It's basically not much different from first but with a charcter on the screen. BORING! I want more overhead and resi style perspectives. that's the interesting shit you can't get with first person
the constant need for everything to be OTS 3rd person even in games that would benefit from a wider FOV and pulled out camera (cough cough God of War 2018/Ragnarok cough cough)

There are perspectives other than over the shoulder, even in the third person realm, like third person fixed camera which is ironically more cinematic than OTS despite that being the most common one for cinematic games
002-2.jpg

Third person Normal (which used to be the standard)

IGDB-1.jpg

There are so many different unique configurations for cameras in video games and yet all of the biggest ones focus on this specific over the shoulder one where the FOV is shite and the character takes up the entire left side of the screen. We get it Resident Evil 4 was a masterpiece but holy fuck do something more original. Bring back fixed cameras or predetermined camera angles for once.

Top Bottom