• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people always forget about Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together?

Tamanon

Banned
My problem with the game was that I played it after several other SRPGs so the clunky, slow system just bored me to tears. Should pop it back in some time, I never sold it, hah.

ethelred

Grivenger said:
I'm not really sure of TO's world name, but I could swear that the Ogre Battle series do NOT take place in Ivalice.

It doesn't.

The island of Valeria, where Tactics Ogre takes place, is in the same world as the rest of the series. That's why you've got indivuals there from Lodis and Zenobia.

ethelred

Himuro said:
I wasn't specifically talking about Ogre Battle, but Tactics Ogre. That's what I thought: I thought TO and FFT were thinly connected.

I don't consider Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle in the same series because the battle systems are so distinctively different.

Well, you may not consider them in the same series, but they are. It's called the Ogre Battle Saga. Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen is Episode 5, and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Togher is Episode 7.

Ogre Battle 64 is Episode 6. There are 8 in total, so TO comes right before the great big finale which thanks to the cruelty of the world we'll never get to see made.

TO has no relation to FFT in its story aside from the fact that Matsuno and his team just carbon copied Denim, Vice, Kachua, and Lans in order to get Ramza, Delita, Alma/Ovelia, and Vormav. TO IS, however, entirely and completely connected to OB.

I mean, you've even got a bunch of returning characters from OB to TO -- Lans Hamilton (the Holy Knight), Canopus, Warren, Tristan Zenboa, all are featured in major roles in Ogre Battle.

Ceb

ethelred said:
TO has no relation to FFT in its story aside from the fact that Matsuno and his team just carbon copied Denim, Vice, Kachua, and Lans in order to get Ramza, Delita, Alma/Ovelia, and Vormav. TO IS, however, entirely and completely connected to OB.

I mean, you've even got a bunch of returning characters from OB to TO -- Lans Hamilton (the Holy Knight), Canopus, Warren, Tristan Zenboa, all are featured in major roles in Ogre Battle.

FFXII was also heavily "inspired" by OB. Oh, Matsuno... :lol

ethelred

Himuro said:
OB64 was done by Matsuno, or was that another TO: Knights of Lodis deal?

That's interesting, Ethel. Now I have incentive to get into Ogre Battle again. I didn't really care for it.

OB64 was not done by Matsuno -- it was done by much of the lead staff on the original game, though, and the scenario was made using Matsuno's notes and outlines so I'd say it's very faithful to how the game would have been had it been made by Matsuno.

Unlike Knight of Lodis where I think they pretty much just made up the story on the fly, and it shows.

I read the topic title and immediately GUESSED that the topic creator was himuro. What is up with you and your reactionary tendecies! HUUUUUUUUUH?

Tarazet

I was lucky enough to bump into a complete copy for $34.99 at Gamestop (and the next day, incredibly, I snagged a sealed copy from another GS). I also bought a copy of Ogre Battle around this time. I played them some, and the overwhelming impression I had was that they were archaic and unplayable. I suppose that's the disadvantage I have of having grown up with speedy, exciting action games like Sonic and Rocket Knight Adventures and not epic RPGs like Phantasy Star..

Pellham

Banned
demi said:
Because people like you remind us why it needs to remain forgotten.

why do your posts remind me of vestal

to Himuro: it's a great game, considered to be the most influencial SRPG in Japan by Famitsu readers, but it's too old for 99% of gamers to remember. Of course all true SRPG fans have played it. :)

I have the SFC and PSX versions of TO, I just need the Saturn one to complete my collection! :(

PC Gaijin

Himuro said:
Is the Saturn one particuarly rare?

Can we have a comparison of all the versions? I have the PSX version.

No, it's quite common. You should be able to buy a copy for five or ten bucks tops.

PC Gaijin

Himuro said:
Was it released only in Japan?

Well, yeah. If it were released in the US on Saturn it would probably run even more than the PSX version.

Edit: forgot to add the differences between Saturn and PSX versions. Keep in mind the only version I played all the way through was the US PSX one. I've checked out the SFC version in an emulator, but only for a few minutes. I played the Saturn version through the end of chapter 2. I thought the Saturn version was nicer than the PSX one. Graphically they're about the same, although the Saturn one seems to have a slightly weird aspect ratio. Everything is squished horizontally a bit. The Saturn version's colors look a little better (they're more muted, which I prefer), and there's some slowdown in the PSX version that the Saturn doesn't have. The sound and music in the Saturn version was better, which surprised me. There's a logo on the startup for the Saturn version for some kind of audio codec (Hermit? I can't remember). Nice music, not quite as midi as the PSX music. The Saturn version also has voice acting. Sounded fine to me, although what do I know? I did notice that the VA for Kachua Powell was the same person who did Lei Fang in DOA. :lol Does anyone know if the Japanese PSX version had voice acting?

JoshuaJSlone said:
Series with entries that have come out in recent years?

As has already been said, it's mostly that even among fans of the genre the original game has mostly been out of reach. It didn't arrive for SNES. It wasn't easy to get ahold of for PlayStation. It didn't have a readily available ROM translation like other important but left-in-Japan games. So to me, Shining Force II and Final Fantasy Tactics were my intro to that type of game, while I've still yet to play the original Tactics Ogre.

Yeah, I remember that. I wasn't a big GameFan reader, so it was probably the issue I bought for Seiken Densetsu 3 coverage. :)
Ah, I loved GameFan. I'd start buying gaming magazines again if they resurected. Beautiful shiny page quality, constant import coverage, the GameCave gaming hobbyist pages in the back, all the editor personas, etc. EGM, GamePro, and GamePlayers just couldn't compare.

HolyStar

Banned
B/c Tactics Ogre: LuCT is the rarest of the Ogre Battle games.

I have never played and I am a HUGE Ogre Battle fan.

jarrod

Banned
HolyStar said:
B/c Tactics Ogre: LuCT is the rarest of the Ogre Battle games.
Especially in America...

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (SNES) 19,174
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen: Limited Edition (PS1) 47,665
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PS1) 16,940
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber (N64) 76,529
Tactics Ogre: The Knights of Lodis (GBA) 100,000+

Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1) 899,223
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA) 650,000+

Tsubaki

Himuro said:
I have hardly seen anyone talk about TO in my almost 2 years here at gaf. It's mostly FFT/Disgaea/N1/FE.

Duh. GAF = mainstream gamers. We've had this discussion before.

jarrod said:
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (SNES) 19,174
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen: Limited Edition (PS1) 47,665
The "limited edition" rerelease selling twice as many copies. :lol How messed up is that?

PolyGone

Banned
KyanMehwulfe said:
Ah, I loved GameFan. I'd start buying gaming magazines again if they resurected. Beautiful shiny page quality, constant import coverage, the GameCave gaming hobbyist pages in the back, all the editor personas, etc. EGM, GamePro, and GamePlayers just couldn't compare.

play?

Joe Molotov

KyanMehwulfe said:
I'm surprised the N64 OB sold that much better than the SNES version.

You shouldn't be too suprised. Ogre Battle SNES was hardly a blip on anyone's radar, but I remember Ogre Battle 64 being a fairly big deal.

Top Bottom