• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people who don't like FFXII's battle system have the dumbest excuses?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Srider said:
What, you mean they've played the actual game?

Is it out? wait.... no.

Why even bother to care?

There is a demo out

Why are you so defensive of a game demo?

The demo sucked. It wasn't fun at all. Some of those reasons are perfectly valid, but most people know the final game could very well be much much better. You can't judge FFXII based on the demo.

But the demo itself? Bad.

Oh, and I don't remember just "pressing attack" in FFX. I thought it had the most strategy in battle in any PlayStation FF. Instead of just "pressing attack", FFXII does it for you? ... What? The point is that in the demo you almost never needed to do anything else but attack. That's why it felt like the game was playing itself for you for some people.

Moving the camera, yeah, that's kind of a lame reason to knock FFXII. But I understand it. It didn't really bother me as much as I think it doesn't work as well as static camera angles. I want to play the game with the static camera angles that move cinematically along with the character, like in FFX (but improved a lot).

I have faith in Square (although I am a little worried, which I never have been for an FF) to make this a brilliant game. I just know that it's not what I want at this point and based on what I know/played. I don't want it to be FFXI-influenced. I want it to play like an FF. And the demo didn't feel at all like an FF.

But that's just me (and others, obviously). Why does it matter to you if people feel that way? The game will sell shitloads, you'll get it, and most likely love it. So who cares?

Himuro said:
Why am I being defensive over a game demo? Why are people going ape shit over a game demo in the first place?

.. Yeah, you avoided the question by asking another one.

That's my point. People are saying the demo sucks and you're getting defensive. And my question is WHY.

And just so you know, not everyone is "going ape shit" over it. Tons of people love the demo. I thought it was generally loved at GAF. It's okay that some people don't like it.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Himuro said:
Why am I being defensive over a game demo? Why are people going ape shit over a game demo in the first place?

I think it's obvious why people are going ape shit over it... FF has a long following and for the most part the battle system hasn't changed that much, and while in terms of look and feel the game has matured this new FF from what I've seen and heard feels much different than any of the previous changes(regardless of the actual reality of that statement i.e. how much its changed)... Change always brings grumbling so we'll have to see how this all pans out.

Zilch

Banned
But the demo itself? Bad.

Objectively bad? Absolutely not.

The FFXII demo impressions thread here was OVERWHELMINGLY positive. This battle system is exactly what the stale FF series needs.

Gattsu25

Banned
I <3 Katamari said:
.. Yeah, you avoided the question by asking another one.

That's my point. People are saying the demo sucks and you're getting defensive. And my question is WHY.
Well, the answer to your question and his response question are one and the same. Perhaps he wanted you to see that?

Zilch said:
Objectively bad? Absolutely not.

The FFXII demo impressions thread here was OVERWHELMINGLY positive.

Yes, I said I thought most people on GAF liked it.

But I didn't. And I know many people that didn't.

This battle system is exactly what the stale FF series needs.

I completely disagree as the series isn't stale. FFX felt like a breath of fresh air for me, for a number of reasons (which don't matter as this isn't an FFX thread). I don't want the series to change. I mean if this chage ends up being awesome, then I won't care. I just didn't like the demo.

DarienA said:
I think it's obvious why people are going ape shit over it... FF has a long following and for the most part the battle system hasn't changed that much, and while in terms of look and feel the game has matured this new FF from what I've seen and heard feels much different than any of the previous changes(regardless of the actual reality of that statement i.e. how much its changed)... Change always brings grumbling so we'll have to see how this all pans out.

Exactly, and this change could be the best thing to ever happen to series.

And it might not.

No one knows yet, so people should just chill out and wait a few months.

bjork

The demo felt like WoW/GW/etc to me... run around, see enemy, whack enemy, repeat. It's different from the FF type of gameplay I'm used to, but it wasn't necessarily bad. Just different, is all.

R0nn

The only problem with most of these people is that they're blind and/or conservative fanboys who don't like it when their favorite series gets a complete revamp. I'm all for it though, since turn-based is getting real old at the moment and the series seriously needed a big overhaul anyway to keep feeling fresh and interesting. I'm really looking forward to the new battlesystem and all the other changes made to the formula. I hope it'll do to the FF franchise what RE4 did to the Resident Evil franchise.

Don't get me wrong, I like Final Fantasy, have played all of them and they're among my favorite games, but I hate stupid conservatism like: "Please don't change it, I like the way it is! Screw innovation and fresh ideas! I wont go to any length to learn the new gameplay mechanics 'cause it'll suck anyway!"

R0nn said:
The only problem with most of these people is that they're blind and/or conservative fanboys who don't like it when their favorite series gets a complete revamp.

I'm sure a lot of pepole are like that, but I don't think most people are like that. Most people I know that hate the demo are barely even FF fans. I think the demo sucks because I don't like that kind of mmorpg gameplay. So of course I don't want it in an offline FF.

EDIT: I like Wait mode more than Active mode, by the way. Active mode is FAR too hectic and everything is happening too fast. And yes, you can kind of control everyone, but there's no reason to.

they dont like it cause its actually fun and has some decent tension this time around rather than overblown cut scenes before every attack.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Kabuki Waq said:
they dont like it cause its actually fun and has some decent tension this time around rather than overblown cut scenes before every attack.

FU overblown cut scenes have become some of the best parts of the combat system! I love the overblown cutscenes for summons, special attacks, etc... regardless of how they don't gel with what's "really" happening to the character(hmm he just blew up the planet... we should all be dead...right?)...

My biggest problem is that there won't be any new BATTLE MUSIC. Yeah, they change it up for the bosses but still. Anyhow, with Uematsu out, I don't think it's gonna make a huge difference, as what I've heard from the score of XII sounds okay at best.

To be honest, the camera does seriously suck. It's not that it should all be automatic, but it should at the very least attempt to stay behind the main character or show the entire party. From what I remember, it does not. I'll play the demo again later to look into that. At the very least, you should be able to invert the camera controls, but I'll chalk that up to it being a demo.

Other than that, great character design, and a fun gameplay system that is a pretty drastic departure.

IAmtheFMan said:
My biggest problem is that there won't be any new BATTLE MUSIC. Yeah, they change it up for the bosses but still. Anyhow, with Uematsu out, I don't think it's gonna make a huge difference, as what I've heard from the score of XII sounds okay at best.

Really? I thought the music was incredible. The best part of the demo.

terrene

Banned
Well, I can explain why I didn't like it:

1) How can we really call it a Final Fantasy game when it consists of watching a radar screen to make sure you're out of the attack range of the enemy? You know what game that really is? Metal Gear.

2) Yes, if you turn on "wait" mode and decide to control everything, it's basically like "Active Time Battle" mode in FFIV and above. But that wasn't the default setting, and offering the option to let the computer figure out the battle strategy for you severly diminishes the "battle strategy" aspect of the game. Left to its own devices, the game is content to let you walk up to an enemy and let the computer fight it. What's fun about that? What's Final Fantasy about that? This type of gameplay is necessary for MMORPG, but not for single-player.

3) In the demo, environments were startlingly bland. I mean, I was either looking at hallucinoegenic brick patterns or an empty, featureless beach. The boss fights and the summon animations reminded me that "oh yeah, this is a huge-budget fantasy game from my favorite game series, not some Capcom action game."

I was totally disappointed in the demo. The FF series is not infallible -- it's last console releases being FF11, FFX-2, and FF: Chronicles, all of which suck IMO. It's okay to admit that a game from a beloved series isn't good, even (or especially) when your anticipation is running high.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
1.) Demo's content was garbage.
2.) Game's battle system was boring, unintuitive, and heavily reminded me of the three months I wasted playing World of Warcraft.
3.) Camera DID suck. It wasn't game-breaking, but it was tragically implemented. Unacceptable in this day and age, particularly in an RPG.

All IMHO, of course.

belgurdo

Banned
I don't get how people can deride FFXII for having boring combat, but will happily poopsock for hours on Dragon Quest VIII, just using one key skill per character for ages

belgurdo said:
I don't get how people can deride FFXII for having boring combat, but will happily poopsock for hours on Dragon Quest VIII, just using one key skill per character for ages

Because DQ8 isn't trying to have a battle system that takes after the worst RPG's on the planet, MMORPG's.

Tarazet

IMO all of the Final Fantasies since VII have just been trying to "fix" something that wasn't broken. Experimentation is grand, don't get me wrong, it's just that the whole series has become seriously schizophrenic and even self-loathing because every game has been such a departure from the last.

Mejilan

Himuro said:
Huh? That's what makes them so good. THey're all unique experiences. They're all totally different games and should be treated as such.

They can remain unique FF experiences without necessarily changing the games on a fundamental level.

Himuro said:
And what's wrong with changing the games in that way?
Nothing at all. People shouldn't play if they don't like it. I don't think I could stomach another random battle FF and probably wouldn't play it.

Mejilan

Himuro said:
And what's wrong with changing the games in that way?

Nothing wrong with it inherently... necessarily. But I do NOT want to play an offline console RPG that plays like an online MMORPG. I didn't like FFXI at all, I won't like a more traditional FFXII that plays like FFXI.

Different doesn't necessarily mean worse, but sometimes different is just plain unnecessary.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Mejilan said:
They can remain unique FF experiences without necessarily changing the games on a fundamental level.

There isn't anything inherently "game-breaking" about this. If they want to change simply for the sake of changing, that is up to them. I think it is wrong to say they've experimented with the battle system since FF6 and 7. They aren't experimenting; they are purposefully changing certain elements in each game to keep the gameplay fresh.

I don't understand how everyone could love the combat in a game like FF9 and then say something like FFXII is simply press the X button and sit there. So what if it plays like an MMORPG? FFXI as an MMORPG is not like many of the other RPGs. You can have a HUGE level of control over 12. I don't really see what the problem is...just configure the game so that it's basically old style FFs in a 3d plane.

Speevy

Banned
I'm playing Final Fantasy X for the first time and I have the FFXII demo (which I've played). Personally, I find the latter is much more interactive but summoning things looks weird.

It's like asking Morrowind to be graceful in that regard.

Mejilan

Y2Kevbug11 said:
There isn't anything inherently "game-breaking" about this. If they want to change simply for the sake of changing, that is up to them. I think it is wrong to say they've experimented with the battle system since FF6 and 7. They aren't experimenting; they are purposefully changing certain elements in each game to keep the gameplay fresh.

I don't understand how everyone could love the combat in a game like FF9 and then say something like FFXII is simply press the X button and sit there. So what if it plays like an MMORPG? FFXI has an MMORPG is not like many of the other RPGs. You can have a HUGE level of control over 12. I don't really see what the problem is...just configure the game so that it's basically old style FFs in a 3d plane.

Who said "game breaking"? And yer right, FFVIII wasn't experimenting, it was train wrecking. ;p

Y2Kev

Playing through it again as we speak (just got out of the fire cavern) and I really disagree with you. The system has a ton of customization potential.

Anyway, I just felt that since you were talking about game fundamentals and radically changing fundamentals of a series in a negative fashion would appear game breaking.

Mejilan

Fatal bugs are game-breaking. Horrendous design decisions can be game-breaking.

Unwelcome changes to the core mechanics of a long-standing and well-established franchise can be fun-breaking or unwelcome, but unless they represent a total assfuck of a horrendous design decision, can't be called game-breaking, IMHO.

Y2Kev

Mejilan said:
Fatal bugs are game-breaking. Horrendous design decisions can be game-breaking.

Unwelcome changes to the core mechanics of a long-standing and well-established franchise can be fun-breaking or unwelcome, but unless they represent a total assfuck of a horrendous design decision, can't be called game-breaking, IMHO.

Haven't we already had one semantic argument over the meaning of atrocious?

Point is, FFXII isn't an objective unwelcome change. That's the argument. It's, for myself and others, a necessary change that already rocks. Suit yourself.

Mejilan

Himuro said:
Oh, you mean train wrecking EXPLODINGLY GOOD?

FFXII is the next FFVIII. If that means anything to certain people that means it will be the best one.

@ Mejilan - Are you the type of gamer who complains about games not having any innnovation these days?

Nah, FFVIII was by far my most reviled FF. The ONLY good thing about it was the music, IMHO. Oh, and the graphics were pretty good for their time. Everything else, characters, story, world, gameplay, was utter filth, IMHO.

I'll keep my mind open on FFXII... this won't be the first time I've been totally turned off by a shitty demo only to be pleasantly surprised by the final product.

I dig innovation. FFXII demo wasn't innovative. It was boring dungeons and boring MMORPG combat in an offline game. That's a step back, not innovation, IMHO.

Speevy

Banned
Himuro said:
Yes. I have it for pc.

Well then you know what I'm talking about. That kind of combat can be very fun.

Random "glass break" battles are archaic and will never be the star of a first-rate RPG of the future.

Top Bottom