• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do we have to lower our expectations ?

samoilaaa

Everytime a crappy game comes out and someone says everything thats wrong with it there is always a bunch of people that will try to defend it and say that " games take alot of work to make these days , if you dont like it just move on , you have high expectations "

So let me get this straight , i buy a pc ( in present time a full pc reaches 1000$ easy ) or a console thats 550-600$ ( even 700 in my country ) and when a game comes out thats crap , doesnt have proper optimization , doesnt have proper game mechanics , has game breaking bugs , has a shitty story just have to deal with it and move on

I paid fucking money that i earned to play proper games , if you order a tv and when the tv has a faulty screen and the salesman would say "Just deal with , move on , stop crying , you wanted a working tv ? next time lower ur expectations "

They keep games these days in development for 5 years+ , what the fuck do they do in those 5 years , witcher 3 was build in 3 years and its a pretty big game with alot of cutscenes

Im sorry for this post but im very mad , i need a hug

Pelao

You don't have to. And everyone should complain when a product they bought is a piece of crap. But also keep in mind that this doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon, so stop pre-ordering games. Wait to see what state they come out in and make informed purchases.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's just the trade-off for everything going digital. No longer do you have to queue up at a shop at midnight, or get off your ass to swap discs, but it also means developers can release half-finished products and fix them up later.

The Witcher 3 was one such game by the way. Buggy mess at launch. Just nowhere near CP2077.

Ar¢tos

Do what I do, I find out the release date, and add 1 year to it. So in my mind, the real release date is 1 year later and the price is actually much cheaper, but chances are that you will still get disappointed.

I can't wait to play FF16 after June of next year!

Otherwise, you really need to lower your expectations because publishers don't give a shit about you and know that they will fool a lot of people into pre-ordering or buying at full price.

Shifty1897

Everytime a crappy game comes out and someone says everything thats wrong with it there is always a bunch of people that will try to defend it and say that " games take alot of work to make these days , if you dont like it just move on , you have high expectations "

So let me get this straight , i buy a pc ( in present time a full pc reaches 1000$ easy ) or a console thats 550-600$ ( even 700 in my country ) and when a game comes out thats crap , doesnt have proper optimization , doesnt have proper game mechanics , has game breaking bugs , has a shitty story just have to deal with it and move on

I paid fucking money that i earned to play proper games , if you order a tv and when the tv has a faulty screen and the salesman would say "Just deal with , move on , stop crying , you wanted a working tv ? next time lower ur expectations "

They keep games these days in development for 5 years+ , what the fuck do they do in those 5 years , witcher 3 was build in 3 years and its a pretty big game with alot of cutscenes

Games are hard and extremely expensive to make these days, in an industry that is grossly oversaturated.

If you want to be a part of the solution you could try making games, just be prepared to work really, really hard, probably make very little money, and be hated by the entire internet.

Psychonauts 2 still remains my favorite game this generation. EVerything else has been lowered and some have even been Dashed on the rocks down by the shore.

samoilaaa

Games are hard and extremely expensive to make these days, in an industry that is grossly oversaturated.

If you want to be a part of the solution you could try making games, just be prepared to work really, really hard, probably make very little money, and be hated by the entire internet.
so is it that hard that you cant make a proper product in 5+ years ? what were those devs doing ? having coffee most of the time and talking about their day ?

if you know you cant make a proper game why make games in the 1st place ? ur trying to fool the customers ?

and thats not how things get solve " why dont you try and do it yourself " , we all took the job we wanted to take right ? if a plummer comes and does a poor job do you just fix the problem yourself ? even if you paid him

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

With how so many things have panned out over the years I learned to just reserve my expectations. At least that way nothing gets out of hand. I've been disappointed by music, shows, movies, and video games more times than I can count.

So, if I naturally feel excited about something, I allow it to happen, but I try to keep things believable and realistic, lol. I've been burned way too many times. But the end result feels much better than being SO hyped and then being absolutely crushed with the outcome of something that is bad, or just didn't live up to my expectations.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
No need to have a cry, there are more good games than ever.

Actually that's not true, that probably was the case in 2018 or thereabouts.

Everything's terrible now, but if your biggest problem is a bit of iffy animation or a dodgy framerate, you might have won at life.

Puppet Hooray GIF by Gerbert!

CGNoire

Preach Brother.

wvnative

Do what I do, I find out the release date, and add 1 year to it. So in my mind, the real release date is 1 year later and the price is actually much cheaper, but chances are that you will still get disappointed.

I can't wait to play FF16 after June of next year!

Otherwise, you really need to lower your expectations because publishers don't give a shit about you and know that they will fool a lot of people into pre-ordering or buying at full price.
I get what your saying, but it's a guarantee that FF16 will be polished day one.

For real, the games are complex now excuse sort of works until you get games like FF7R, Hi-Fi Rush etc. that are basically flawless. Those games prove it's still possible to launch games in excellent shape. Hell, most Sony AAA games launch with only minimal issues. (I don't recall any issues with god of war ragnorak)

Industry just needs to stop for a moment, and reassess their workflow and project planning.

Catphish

The only solution, on both an individual and collective level, is to stop buying games at launch.

It's obvious to me that the majority of game developers (or at least publishers) no longer care about releasing a polished, quality product. Get it out, throw out a patch or two, but not too much support because something else will be releasing soon to draw everyone's attention. It's no longer cost-effective to produce quality since, as gamers, we've revealed our attention span to be equivalent to that of a Jack Russell Terrier.

So, for your own sanity, wait a few months after a game has been released. It'll be in better shape, and cheaper to boot.

In time, if enough of us make a habit of this, we might just force change in the industry.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Lower expectations so you assume a game will be garbage made by companies only interested in making money. And when a game is actually good you can be pleasantly surprised. More often then not these days it's the indie devs and AA developers that are making great games because they have creative vision instead of chasing after currency.

Perfect example is Redfall vs Deep Rock Galactic. You have a unoptimized piece of garbage with an obnoxious large file size(100+gb) at the premium price of $70($120 in other regions) worked on by over a 100 people and requires always online functionality, whereas you got a game that only needs 2.5 GB of space, will run on a lot of setups for the low price of $30(it's also on sale for $9.89 until the 4th on Steam) and made by a indie team of 6 people and content is added regularly and can be played online or offline at your leisure where online is primarily used for lobbies or updating the weekly assignments for ingame stuff.

I think as gamers you should not only lower your expectations but also raise your standards and not so easily part with your money. Everytime you support garbage you say that's what you want. If you don't support bad products maybe a light will turn on saying to the people making these awful games that received a lot of funding that "maybe we are doing something wrong".

Last edited:

Shifty1897

so is it that hard that you cant make a proper product in 5+ years ? what were those devs doing ? having coffee most of the time and talking about their day ?

if you know you cant make a proper game why make games in the 1st place ? ur trying to fool the customers ?

and thats not how things get solve " why dont you try and do it yourself " , we all took the job we wanted to take right ? if a plummer comes and does a poor job do you just fix the problem yourself ? even if you paid him
Yes, it is that hard to make a AAA game in 5 years.

You don't want to do it because either you know it's a shit job, or you know it's a hard job and you can't do it.

samoilaaa

Yes, it is that hard to make a AAA game in 5 years.

You don't want to do it because either you know it's a shit job, or you know it's a hard job and you can't do it.
thats a very poor mentality , a job must be something that you enjoy doing

you dont choose a job acording to difficulty

Knightime_X

You should DEFINITELY lower your expectations if you buy from Wish.
As for games, just wait for first impressions.
Esp if said game isn't from a big time company because you don't know if it will ever get fixed if it has problems out the gate.

daveonezero

Banned
The creative artists, programmers and managers are getting pushed out and burned up in the industry.

Adjust your expectations as cookie cutter games become more of the norm.

games look great in screenshots but their gameplay, animations, writing and general feel will be lackluster, lacking or downright awful.

Fortunately this means gameplay is sort of stagnant and old games sometimes do thing better than the newest release.

Just look Vampire Survivors took over the world.

Then on the other spectrum you have RE4R. Both great but totally different.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I share your sentiments. It is frustrating and it feels like you can't say anything. I'm not a professional artist but love to draw and been to art classes in college and we welcome criticism. It is what helps us grow. We were all respectful and it was productive. It is worse online, and some people just love to troll, but I see legitimate criticisms hand waved away and it makes me sad. Maybe it is due to me having an interest in art and some art education to where this stuff makes me sad because I know things can be improved.

Edit: I'm sure a lot of this is due to corporate meddling and management issues as well as trying to keep up with the ever-growing weight of expectations. Sadly, things seemed to regress so much that I don't think the current state of profit over everything else is feasible. It has always been frustrating how art forms seem to be overtaken by greed and marketing. Yes, it is unrealistic to expect games to be made from passion to automatically sell well. At the same time, I am seeing such a fast decrease in standards and more talk about sales, marketing, acquisitions than things like game design, fun/enjoyment, music, and emotional impact.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Or you can wait a day or two after the game releases and find out if the game is well optimised and decide then?

Ar¢tos

I get what your saying, but it's a guarantee that FF16 will be polished day one.

For real, the games are complex now excuse sort of works until you get games like FF7R, Hi-Fi Rush etc. that are basically flawless. Those games prove it's still possible to launch games in excellent shape. Hell, most Sony AAA games launch with only minimal issues. (I don't recall any issues with god of war ragnorak)

Industry just needs to stop for a moment, and reassess their workflow and project planning.
After FFXV convoluted mess, I don't trust square. I'll wait until every issue is patched, even if it is in a ok state at launch.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I agree.

If a game is selling for $70, we should expect top-notch AAA productions with no cut corners. Otherwise, we should give these publishers hell.

Kuranghi

SlimeGooGoo SlimeGooGoo

Can't PM you so sending this here if you want to support the artist that I posted, I speak to him sometimes and he's a good guy:

He has one other album which is called The S?K Files which is more movie/TV samples than games, I also really like that one.

GHG

The solution is simple:

Step 1- Don't pre-order, don't subscribe to these subscription services long term.

Step 2 - Only buy games after they have come out and are proven to be good enough quality. Only subscribe or stay subscribed if the games that arrive on the service are good enough, if not cancel your subscription.

Step 3 - if you followed steps 1 and 2, congratulations, you can now enjoy your hobby and only the developers/publishers worthy and deserving of being rewarded get rewarded.

Somehow through all the relentless hype, FOMO and shills, people have forgotten that our relationship with the people who create games is supposed to be symbiotic.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

There's a fine line between being a pushover and being a fart sniffer expecting absolute perfection in everything.

You should always temper and manage expectations in life no matter what.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally didn't lower expectations, most of the game I enjoyed I had high expectations and they met and sometimes exceed them.

But there is big difference between being critical and just acting jaded over everything.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I take it you havent seen the Steam reviews for pretty much every broken game that has come out recently?

MarkMe2525

Have you tried not buying new games on pre-order, or before you've seen enough real world evidence of its quality?

It's very easy to only play good games. It just requires patience, and a bit of will power.
This for this win. I spend a little more than half of my time playing some of the best games ever made from yesteryear. When I do get around buying a modern game, I'll know it's worth my time and it will be at least 40% off.

Last edited:

If this is how you apply logic I might as well put you on the ignore list now

Fbh

Because things have been like this for a while and there's no indication that they will change.
So you can either continue blindly pre ordering games (or buying them on day 1) and getting upset, or you can do the reasonable thing which is to adjust your expectation based on the available information

X-Wing

Because no matter how big he says it is, it is always smaller than that.

It's not about lowering expectations, is about being less emotionally invested in this. Some games will be great, some will suck. Stop your FOMO and buy after launch, after deliberate analysis of a game is worth your money or not.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If you don't think it's worth it, don't partake. Vote with your money and time.

Antwix

There's enough coverage for games that I don't really feel like I get burned to much buying games anymore. Especially since I rarely buy games at launch.

I get really annoyed though when people (or the company) claims that it's so difficult to get games running properly on hundreds of different PC configs. Like I get that all computers have variation, but isn't this why things like DirectX/Vulkan/etc exist? Also many games are using the same engines more frequently too. I feel like this has been a relatively recent excuse. PCs in the 2000s weren't all the same either. If anything, it should be getting easier.

Regardless, these gaming publishers/devs have been saving me money so kudos to them.

Top Bottom