• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do women tend to cover their mouths/faces when laughing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScOULaris

XM8RI.png

Maybe Girl-GAF can help me solve this timeless mystery. I'll never understand it. It's basically reflexive, because every woman I ever ask about this claims to not realize they are doing it.

This behavior seems to occur in woman of all ethnicities, cultural backgrounds, age groups, and social status. Even the most beautiful, outgoing woman with a killer smile and perfect teeth will reflexively cover her mouth/facing when laughing hard. Conversely, I hardly ever see men do this when laughing.

GAF, help me answer this incredibly important question!

Volimar

I find it kind of cute really. I've always thought it was a matter of manners. That perhaps it was not ladylike to let people see you bust out laughing. Going deeper, it might reflect on the expectation that "good girls" were expected to be more reserved and full of poise.

(I'm a guy) I do this from time to time. Though I don't look nearly as cute as that girl...

You love you lose...

Low self-esteem.

"My teeth are crooked/yellowed/missing. My breath stinks. I have spinach stuck on my teeth. I don't like my smile."

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Girl-gaf

Why do most of you break of bananas in smaller chunks before eating it?

ScOULaris

Girl-gaf

Why do most of you break of bananas in smaller chunks before eating it?

I don't often see women doing that. If I did, however, I'd assume they were trying to avoid "giving guys the wrong idea" about what kind of girl they are.

#lovestosuckcock

Suairyu

Banned
There are Japanese traditions about it due to women dying their teeth black for whatever stupid fashion, so in anime you'll often see characters of nobility and royalty doing it.

I have never witnessed it outside of anime, save for times when something is so damn funny that you just can't stop laughing - lots of people cover their mouth at that point because if they didn't they'd look like a horse. This is not a girl-only phenomenon.

OP do you watch anime? What's your favourite anime? I really like Tenchi and Princess Ayeka does this a lot so I'm guessing you really like Tenchi too? What's your favourite Tenchi song?

ScOULaris

There are Japanese traditions about it due to women dying their teeth black for whatever stupid fashion, so in anime you'll often see characters of nobility and royalty doing it.

I have never witnessed it outside of anime, save for times when something is so damn funny that you just can't stop laughing - lots of people cover their mouth at that point because if they didn't they'd look like a horse. This is not a girl-only phenomenon.

OP do you watch anime?

I'm talkin' about real life, bruh.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm talkin' about real life, bruh.
Well I aint been seeing that shit in real life save for the super-totes-funny-oh-god-I'm-a-horse moments I already mentioned. What kind of girls do you hang out with? Do they watch anime? Do they like Tenchi?

Anteater

I do it, incase I have drool and stuff exploding from my mouth from laughing too hard, never know. I cover my mouth when I cough too.

Ourobolus

Banned
When I lived in Korea this seemed to be a pretty common occurrence among women there. When I came back to the states I noticed it here and there, but nowhere near as much.

Kurtofan

Everytime or only when something is so funny you can't stop laughing? Or do you just have a really ugly laugh?

Actually I do it when I smile of embarrassment, like "oh shit I can't believe you did that!" sort of situation.
I don't laugh out loud in public.

big_z

I rarely see this happen and the odd time I do I usually figure it's because the girl is super shy or her mouth looks like a box of exploded chiclets.

I think it's mainly an Asian thing.

Steelrain

I do this when I laugh.

I hate looking like a super happy motherfucker in front of people I don't know too well.

Kinda like this:

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Except when he leans back.

Hmm... I usually do it when laughing at something I feel bad for laughing at (although I'm not a girl). I know lots of girls that almost never do that, though.

No problems with my teeth/oral hygiene here, though those are pretty valid reasons.
I tend to worry about
accidental-
spit spray...

As for the banana question, I don't break it up. Guy friends used to mock and make crude childish comments, until I got my own back by camping it up and going to town on one (a banana not one of them)...

Otherwise, I've never understood how eating a banana resembles a BJ?

Eating a banana = biting chunks off. How many guys envisage a BJ involving that, huh?!

Steelrain

No problems with my teeth/oral hygiene here, though those are pretty valid reasons.
I tend to worry about
accidental-
spit spray...

As for the banana question, I don't break it up. Guy friends used to mock and make crude childish comments, until I got my own back by camping it up and going to town on one (a banana not one of them)...

Otherwise, I've never understood how eating a banana resembles a BJ?

Eating a banana = biting chunks off. How many guys envisage a BJ involving that, huh?!

I dunno but post a vid of you eating a banana so GAF scientists can give you a proper answer.

We're professionals after all.

Raika

I do it too... Well, in front of other people anyway, when I don't want to look hyperactive and silly. But when I'm alone in my room I laugh like a madman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom