• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do Xbox 360 games generally look better than Playstation 3?

nOoblet16

If I remember correctly, someone correct me if I'm wrong, the plans for the PS3 changed really late in the game as well. Originally the thing had no GPU and was just going to run everything through 2/4 (?) Cell processors but costs (and backlash from first party devs) stopped them doing it. This resulted in the PS3 getting a fairly standard GPU and an impressive custom CPU with not enough RAM to use both effectively without massive headaches and work arounds. Unreal Engine 3 was notoriously bad, a lot of developers struggled with it and, I imagine, dev tools were also much better on 360. It also went the other way, Naughty Dog, because of the custom approach they took with TLOU struggled to get the game running on PS4 because of how closely it was tied to the PS3 hardware.... it's also why MGS4 never ended up getting ported anywhere, the thing runs on a custom engine that was used once, for that game, which is probably why Konami then went all in on Fox Engine, to ensure they had a truly multiplatform solution going forward. It's why the PS4 (and XB1) are basically off the shelf laptop parts now. The risk of custom hardware is too high. You'll never see a console with ridiculous custom chips again. Too risky, too costly.

Edit: Oh, and the PS3's memory footprint for the OS was also higher than the 360s and it came right out of the already limited memory pool so a lot of earlier PS3 games had less RAM to work with than the later games.
This is all true...Although I don't know how late the plans to use 2 Cells was changed.

Another reason UE3 was such a problem was actually also due to the fact that its development and Xbox 360's development were tied together. Infact Xbox 360 received last minute upgrades and modifications just so Epic could make Gears of War look the way they wanted. And the fact that most multiplayer last gen used UE3 only made that issue more transparent.

You could say the entire reason 360 ended up having better multiplats and easier to develop environment was down to Epic and UE3.

You can change titles but it will only show inside the thread... in the topic list it will display the original until mods edit.
Being more specific you can change the post title and not the thread title.... every post in GAF has a title that can be edited.

That's weird, 'cos when I did it, it showed my edited thread title.

TheYanger

This is all true...Although I don't know how late the plans to use 2 Cells was changed.

Another reason UE3 was such a problem was actually also due to the fact that its development and Xbox 360's development were tied together. Infact Xbox 360 received last minute upgrades and modifications just so Epic could make Gears of War look the way they wanted. And the fact that most multiplayer last gen used UE3 only made that issue more transparent.

You could say the entire reason 360 ended up having better multiplats and easier to develop environment was down to Epic and UE3.

Or you could say that it was because Sony made an awkward architecture. You're trying very hard to make sure that the fault isn't Sony's and the success isn't MS's. Like, yes, it is known that MS changed their RAM and shit due to what they were told very late - did Sony not have anyone working with them that could've said "Hey, this is weird"? The argument goes around all way.s

amdb00mer

Halo 4 does not look "better" than those, they are all on par with each other. Though I would still argue UC3 is somewhat technically superior still due to its volumetric lighting, animations and water physics but that's just me. Halo 4 has its own share of problems and shortcomings such as it has worse lighting quality than Halo 3/Reach (it used a lot of glow lights to give an illusion of lights rather than actual lightsources), it also completely lacked any form of AO and motion blur which for a 2012 game was odd especially since previous Halo games did have them. Infact I often find Reach more technically impressive even if people found Halo 4 more pleasing to look at due to its style.

Gears 3 imo was the best looking Xbox 360 game and it could trade blows with any PS3 exclusive.

I have to slightly disagree. Go back to Halo 4 on X360. The textures and overall image quality is just so sharp and clean. That's why it ended up being the best looking title in the MCC. It already had such high quality visuals on the X360 that when ported to the X1 it looked even more amazing. As far as the game being good, that's a different thread/topic.

galv

Unconfirmed Member
Revisionist nonsense. PS3 exclusives looked very good, but so did equivilent 360 ones per era. Like, late game? LOTU looked amazing, but so does Halo 4. Certainly better than every other single game you mentioned.

You know Ellie, we really are Last of The Us.

But yeah, 360 had great looking games too, Halo 4 being one of the best looking games on the console. With that being said, I thought Killzone 3 looked gorgeous in certain levels (the snow, the sci-fi jungle) and Killzone 2 is also really really well animated.

I wish devs spent a little more time polishing animation & destruction in some of the triple A games - it's sad when games like Crysis & Bad Company 2 still do destruction better than 99% of current shooters.

Thretau

PS. But you say Uncharted 3 that has better IQ than possible the 360 entry library.
I remember liking the graphics in UC3 but I played it again last year and holy shit does it look bad. Aliasing is terrible in that game. I found it so weird I popped in TLoU and it looks way better.

LeleSocho

Banned
Cell while more powerful was a curse to develop for.
Xenos (X360 gpu) was actually better than RSX (ps3 gpu).
X360 had also unified memory that made development easier and a small pool of eDRAM that helped with anti aliasing.

TheYanger

You know Ellie, we really are Last of The Us.

But yeah, 360 had great looking games too, Halo 4 being one of the best looking games on the console. With that being said, I thought Killzone 3 looked gorgeous in certain levels (the snow, the sci-fi jungle) and Killzone 2 is also really really well animated.

I wish devs spent a little more time polishing animation & destruction in some of the triple A games - it's sad when games like Crysis & Bad Company 2 still do destruction better than 99% of current shooters.

Right, I'm not saying any of the games listed looked bad, but that the notion that PS3 was UBER powerful and 360 was trash that just happened to have better multiplats is nonsense. Killzone and every Naughty Dog game were lookers. So was stuff like Halo 4. There are some PS360 games that still look great, resolution aside.

xabbott

I didn't own a 360 when it was current and mostly played on PC. But I did have a PS3 at the time and bought RDR for it. That was the first time I realized how much better 360 3rd party games looked.

antyk

It seems that what's the OP is experiencing and asking for is not the difference in graphics quality for multiplats (which was thoroughly explained already by many of you), but difference in IQ of even the best looking games on both platforms, in which case I'd say it is weird because the best looking PS3 games look better than best looking X360 games.

OP, do you use the same connection to your TV from Xbox and PS3? Do you use the same settings on HDMI channel (especially saturation & sharpening, blur / motion scaling, etc.)? Are you sure PS3 isn't set to overscan the image, which would result in EVERY game basically being upscaled (or zoomed in)?

Or you could say that it was because Sony made an awkward architecture. You're trying very hard to make sure that the fault isn't Sony's and the success isn't MS's. Like, yes, it is known that MS changed their RAM and shit due to what they were told very late - did Sony not have anyone working with them that could've said "Hey, this is weird"? The argument goes around all way.s

They did. That's why the PS3 has a GPU at all.

Ahasverus

The PS3 was a programming mess. Thank Kutaragi for that. There was some bullshit going on about how he didn't want to make an "easy machine" so developers would "discover" more power the further the generation went. Fuck that.

nOoblet16

Lolwut?
I'm not trying for anything, I have zero agenda here. I'm just stating the truth from neutral grounds and if you see something like the bolded then I'm sorry to tell you you've wasted your time and brainpower thinking about nonsense. Did you not see my post where I mentioned that PS3 exclusives looking great was not down to "power of PS3" but rather the money and resources Sony poured in.

PS3 multiplat games looked worse due to split pool memory, absurd architecture and the fact that the most common multiplat engine was a special fit for Xbox 360. Xbox 360 games looked better because of the exact opposite. Happy now? Or are you going to spend time talking about how I didn't go into detail about how Xbox 360 did better due to the opposite and figure out how I am not giving MS credit and as such must have an agenda. Like come on.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
360 versions of a huge majority of multiplat games were notably better than their PS3 counterparts. The gap was bigger at the start of the generation, 360 was just easier to develop for than PS3. Gap narrowed down near the end of the generation but generally speaking multi-plats were still better played on 360.

Here's a breakdown of all DF/IGN etc comparisons, the results are very telling.

https://misterslimm.wordpress.com/v...box-360-vs-ps3-head-to-head-face-off-results/

Of all of DF's comparison:

179 games were better on 360.
51 were better on PS3
102 were rated as equal

Revisionist nonsense. PS3 exclusives looked very good, but so did equivilent 360 ones per era. Like, late game? LOTU looked amazing, but so does Halo 4. Certainly better than every other single game you mentioned.

halo 4 looks OK. nowhere near the games i mentioned

Endo Punk

The PS3 was a programming mess. Thank Kutaragi for that. There was some bullshit going on about how he didn't want to make an "easy machine" so developers would "discover" more power the further the generation went. Fuck that.

Oh man can you imagine if Mark Corny followed that strategy this gen. A game like Second Son with its amazing visuals would have released in 2018 instead of 2014, if PS4 survived that long.

Nheco

360 to PS3 GPU was nowhere close to 40% difference.

360 ~240 GLOPS
PS3 ~200 GLOPS

That is 20%.

Xbox One vs PS4 doesn't have a 40% difference when you compare flops, you are just counting CU's. The real difference comparing flops is around 29%.

Comparing PS3 RSX with Xenos, in fact is around 20% comparing gpu flops, but there are other factors to account, since in several aspects Xenos has around 50% better and from a slight newer tech (even that it was launched earlier than RSX), things like fill rate and some aspects of memory bandwidth are waaaaay better on Xenos, and both are crucial for image IQ and resolution.

Because PS3 wasn't developer friendly thanks to the cell processor. Many 3rd party publishers didn't have the time or money to get the PS3 versions of games up to snuff with Xbox 360 versions.

It's one of the reasons why Sony ditched it in favor of x86-64 architecture for PS4.

EmiPrime

It was EA that showed everyone else how to do multiplats. In 2008 they published Dead Space, Burnout Paradise and Mirror's Edge.

Other than 2007 games as well as Rockstar, Call of Duty and Bethesda games the difference between the two systems is massively overstated, at least for what I wanted to play. I've double dipped on a lot of games courtesy of GWG/PS+ and I can't easily tell the difference between many of my favourites.

halo 4 looks OK. nowhere near the games i mentioned

I would put Halo 4 in the top 10 best looking games of last generation. It would be one of the first games to come to mind if I was compiling such a list. It's a lot better than just "OK".

TheYanger

It was EA that showed everyone else how to do multiplats. In 2008 they published Dead Space, Burnout Paradise and Mirror's Edge.

Other than 2007 games as well as Rockstar, Call of Duty and Bethesda games the difference between the two systems is massively overstated, at least for what I wanted to play. I've double dipped on a lot of games courtesy of GWG/PS+ and I can't easily tell the difference between many of my favourites.

I would put Halo 4 in the top 10 best looking games of last generation. It would be one of the first games to come to mind if I was compiling such a list. It's a lot better than just "OK".

Yeah to me someone trying to say Halo 4 doesn't look amazing is like saying TLOU looks 'ok' - obvious bait or bias.

From wikipedia

Inside, the Xbox 360 uses the triple-core IBM designed Xenon as its CPU, with each core capable of simultaneously processing two threads, and can therefore operate on up to six threads at once.

Powerful yet easy to utilize tri-core 3.2GHz CPU

Graphics processing is handled by the ATI Xenos,

More powerful/efficient than PS3 due to unified shaders.

which has 10 MB of eDRAM.

Superfast cache for framebuffer and could provide free 4xMSAA.

Its main memory pool is 512 MB in size.

Fast unified memory

PlayStation 3 uses the Cell microprocessor, designed by Sony, Toshiba and IBM, as its CPU, which is made up of one 3.2 GHz PowerPC-based "Power Processing Element" (PPE) and eight Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs).[97] The eighth SPE is disabled to improve chip yields.[98][99] Only six of the seven SPEs are accessible to developers as the seventh SPE is reserved by the console's operating system.

Only one general purpose core vs 3 on X360. 6SPEs very difficult to use early on.

[99] Graphics processing is handled by the NVIDIA RSX 'Reality Synthesizer', which can produce resolutions from 480i/576i SD up to 1080p HD.[91] PlayStation 3 has 256 MB of XDR DRAM main memory and 256 MB of GDDR3 video memory for the RSX.[100]

Seperate shader, Split memory made it difficult to fit ever increasing graphics memory requirements. Just not as efficient as unified and no eDRAM.

Posted from my phone so not as thorough as I'd like, but other than Red Ring the 360 was just better hardware wise. To OPs point on shimmering. The Xbox 360 version of games were generally higher res and or had better anti-aliasing.

Yeah to me someone trying to say Halo 4 doesn't look amazing is like saying TLOU looks 'ok' - obvious bait or bias.

Games like TLOU don't look good because of the PS3. They look good despite of it. Naughty Dog do great work. I would put Halo and Rockstar in the top 10 for sure.

DC1

Games like TLOU don't look good because of the PS3. They look good despite of it. Naughty Dog do great work. I would put Halo and Rockstar in the top 10 for sure.

Okay.. while the thread is still open.. The statement above makes as much sense as a jellyfish living on the surface of the sun.

Okay.. while the thread is still open.. The statement above makes as much sense as a jellyfish living on the surface of the sun.

The PS3 wasn't great hardware wise. It took every trick in Naughty Dogs book to make the games look that good. They had to hand off graphics duties to the Cell. I think Naughty Dog could have made those games on the 360 without compromising anything.

This thread has been very civil not sure why you think it will be closed.

horkrux

I also remember that HDR and MSAA couldn't be used together on the RSX, which contributed greatly to worse graphics in early multiplats on the system. That's when HDR was the hot new shit and AA-wise the PS3 only had Quincunx-AA to fall back to (which blurred the textures).
Of course this would then change over time with new AA methods popping up.

God it was such a mess

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
360 was easier to develop for and had a larger installed base. So it was often the lead platform in development.

When PS3 was the lead platform it had the better port. It also had the more impressive first party exclusives.

Lazaro

The 360 had a video scaler chip which upscale 1280x720 games and DVD to Full HD. 
I think that's why you might not notice shimmering on 360 games.

Better Ram, Gpu and easier Cpu to work with. The ps3 had to use the cell to achieve similar effects on the 360 and the split ram architecture really hurt the system in games that are open. Its really hard to enjoy Dragon's Dogma on the Ps3.

Metfanant

The 360 was the more powerful console marginally.

I have no doubt the 360 would've surpassed or matched Sony's first party efforts if they dumped the money into it, but they simply did not need to as they were beating Sony in the biggest market for so long.
So you're saying MS purposefully underfunded their first party studios, so they didn't make the best looking games possible, even though they were watching their sales lead slowly dwindle to the point they ended up in 3rd place?...

Seriously?

DC1

The PS3 wasn't great hardware wise. It took every trick in Naughty Dogs book to make the games look that good. They had to hand off graphics duties to the Cell. I think Naughty Dog could have made those games on the 360 without compromising anything.

This thread has been very civil not sure why you think it will be closed.

You're optimistic.
With respect to our conversation. Your point indicates that the PS3 was a horrible mess to program for while the 360 was significantly easier. I agree!

However it doesn't negate the significance of the graphical performance achievable through the PS3/CELL. In short, the games looked good because of the PS3/CELL (period); However, very few developers had the expertise and time to unlock the full performance. The design enforcement was a thorn in the side of the PS3s and was a major factor in the course correction/architecture of the PS4.

We can agree on this - yes?

Vashetti

Banned
360 had a fantastic scaler.

Only a minority of PS3 games upscaled to 1080p. For example if your console is set to output 1080p, you'll find the PS3 is still outputting 720p when playing Uncharted 3, for example.

So your TV is receiving a 720p image which it then has to upscale. If your 360 is set to 1080p, it'll feed every image to your TV at 1080p, regardless of the native game resolution.

Peltz

Xbox360 has a really well designed internal scaler up to 1080p. PS3 has no such scaler at all leaving your HDTV to do all the scaling.

Some HDTVs handle PS3 better than others.

Edit: beaten

Furthermore, PS3 had the design issues everyone else mentioned which often meant lower native resolutions or missing effects on certain multicomsole games.

But as far as pure IQ is concerned, I think the lack of scaler is the biggest factor.

Sephzilla

As others have said, multiplats generally looked better on 360 but PS3 exclusive games generally looked better. God of War 3 is still amazing to look at

gypsygib

Because it would cost developers more money/time to get the same level of graphics on PS3 so they often just went with close enough.

Towards the end of the generation though, many PS3 games look equal or slightly better.

The PS3 had higher highs than the 360 could ever achieve when developers took the time and effort to take advantage of the console. That's why no game on 360 comes close to The Last of Us's graphical showcase.

As for multi platform games? Yeah the rule of thumb is they'd look/run better on 360. The variation greatly diminished as the years went by until it was practically indistinguishable (hell, even some multiplatform games ended up running better on PS3 even). But during those early PS360 days it was not a pretty sight for PS3 owners.

Nheco

I was reading this crazy history about the PS3 originally not having GPU and was Naughty Dog who proved to Sony Japan how absurd this going to be. One of reasons why the PS3 was delayed from 2005.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9yOjB95gb0

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/08/playstation-3-was-delayed-originally-planned-for-2005

Bonus: The PS3 is Weird (A Tale of the Cell Processor)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZrDIgQB_ns&t=107s

Initially PS3 was designed to have two Cell's, one as CPU and another as GPU. Someone noticed that this wasn't a great idea, and they rushed to put a Nvidia GPU, and in order to not inflater the price a lot, they cut some corners. That's why the 360, launched a year earlier has a better GPU. Also, that's why PS3 has a heterogeneous memory setup (two 256mb pools with different memory types).

Top Bottom