• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does anyone care what Digital Foundry says?

MarkMe2525

I honestly don't get it.

Outside of Richard Leadbetter, who has/had a respectable career as a journalist, I don't really see much technical expertise from the crew. As far as I'm aware, they're not professional developers, they don't have dev kits, and I generally feel they don't have the credentials to discuss, with any real merit, the things they discuss. They're basically Beyond3D fanboys who put together a YouTube channel and then Pied Piper'd a bunch of foaming-mouth zealots into the woods with them.

I remember Dark10X from the old NeoGAF days, and he seems like a decent enough guy, but he's basically an enthusiast who would gnash his teeth over 60fps. Alex, whose last name I don't know (or care to find), is generally terrible, and the stupid Crysis gag is getting long in the tooth. He also has zero screen presence and should probably just limit his dialogue as much as possible. His choice of clothing, especially his v-neck sweaters, is appalling, and I hope he finds a kind partner who will help dress him competently in the years to come.

More than happy to be shown why I'm wrong about these gents, but in a world where everyone decries the atrocities of console wars, I don't see a whole lot of light being shed on this organization that, for all intents and purposes, supplies the arms to each side.

Also, I wish they would all stop using the words "lavish, lush, rich and bespoke." They sound like morons, and I don't care if it's an inside joke.
It's entertainment. I don't know if it's just the way I read it, but the way you bash Alex and his clothes comes off as envy to me.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Do you really think that uncharted looks more realistic than rdr2?

Well hard disagree, matter of taste i guess.
The only thing better in unchy 4 are nate and elena faces and some spectacular set pieces, during normal gameplay it looks fare more cartoony than rdr2.

DS is fucking barren and with almost nothing on screen, he has good character model (not all of them) and rocks, but even horizon or days gone are more impressive to me, a lot of ingame animations are straight up bad and stiff in that game (especially combat and when you fall down, total lack of ragdoll or euphoria animations style).
DS barren? You cannot put that against it. The amount of graphics is not equal to fidelity of graphics.
Attached screenshots from my ps4 slim. UC4, Death Stranding and RDR2. Don't get me wrong, rdr2 looks gorgeous. But uc4 and Death Stranding look photorealistic at times. RDR2 is closer to god of war.
Sorry, I have a lot of screenshots but picked some from what I have: (Die hardman face in there so mild spoiler but he was also in a trailer)
HCAQNMN.png

guSk3zG.png

7UlmPF7.png

JRXzKzm.png

vlpwJzl.png

pfsIsGu.png

EMRc1mS.png

YXVzx8v.png

vmItvJ2.png

GymWolf

Gold Member
DS barren? You cannot put that against it. The amount of graphics is not equal to fidelity of graphics.
Attached screenshots from my ps4 slim. UC4, Death Stranding and RDR2. Don't get me wrong, rdr2 looks gorgeous. But uc4 and Death Stranding look photorealistic at times. RDR2 is closer to god of war.
Sorry, I have a lot of screenshots but picked some from what I have: (Die hardman face in there so mild spoiler but he was also in a trailer)
HCAQNMN.png

guSk3zG.png

7UlmPF7.png

JRXzKzm.png

vlpwJzl.png

pfsIsGu.png

EMRc1mS.png

YXVzx8v.png

vmItvJ2.png
Dude i played all these games on ps4 pro on 2 different oled, i don't really need to see any screenshots.

Lets just agree to disagree, even not considering all the stuff on screen i still think that days gone, horizon and rdr2 are superior to DS graphically speaking.

Deadman or sam face are not gonna change my opinion, the best i can give you is that rdr2 has pretty shitty faces for most of the characters, but games are not only faces...

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Not really, no. It's anal to actually judge a game on pixel counts and magnified images. It's going to be even more anal in the coming generation. I'm interested in games and only games.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's one thing to get something wrong. It's another thing to bend reality for your own purpose or bias.

I don't see DF as biased.

I do see a lot of fanboys upset because they speak their truth and you can't cope with the facts. That's from both sides by the way.

The example given by -Arcadia- -Arcadia- is a clear example of DF just speaking the truth even though the masses were complaining about Spiderman's supposed puddle fiasco.

Likewise, they spoke their truth about the comparison between Xbox One X and PS4 Pro's Shadow of War "soup gate" issue.

To me, DF just calls it like they see it...if you get mad about it, then that's a reflection on you, not them

Flintty

I enjoy their videos. They’re the best I’ve seen doing what they do, they’re knowledgeable, likeable and despite fanboys on both sides regularly crying, I think they’re pretty much unbiased and are quite objective.

Each to their own though 🤟

LED Guy?

Banned
I honestly don't get it.

Outside of Richard Leadbetter, who has/had a respectable career as a journalist, I don't really see much technical expertise from the crew. As far as I'm aware, they're not professional developers, they don't have dev kits, and I generally feel they don't have the credentials to discuss, with any real merit, the things they discuss. They're basically Beyond3D fanboys who put together a YouTube channel and then Pied Piper'd a bunch of foaming-mouth zealots into the woods with them.

I remember Dark10X from the old NeoGAF days, and he seems like a decent enough guy, but he's basically an enthusiast who would gnash his teeth over 60fps. Alex, whose last name I don't know (or care to find), is generally terrible, and the stupid Crysis gag is getting long in the tooth. He also has zero screen presence and should probably just limit his dialogue as much as possible. His choice of clothing, especially his v-neck sweaters, is appalling, and I hope he finds a kind partner who will help dress him competently in the years to come.

More than happy to be shown why I'm wrong about these gents, but in a world where everyone decries the atrocities of console wars, I don't see a whole lot of light being shed on this organization that, for all intents and purposes, supplies the arms to each side.

Also, I wish they would all stop using the words "lavish, lush, rich and bespoke." They sound like morons, and I don't care if it's an inside joke.
You're just having problems with them at the personal level, which is your problems, not mine or many others, we all like their videos, their analysis videos are outstanding to be honest, yeah they may have their biases here and there a little bit, but they are as objective as the word "Objective" can be.

The only one I have problems with is Alex Battaglia a bit LOL!!

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gaming is going through a pandemic, digital foundry are smart people and gamers watch their videos. It's as simple as that.

Chiggs

Gold Member
So this thread is just you being a bitch, crying that they dare praise MS once.

Okay

No, and if you had bothered to follow the thread, you'd see that I've been questioning their authority on the subject of 3d graphics, their testing methodology, and whether or not their fan base would even be able to identify if they were right or wrong, especially since so much of their material is used for console war fodder.

This is a video game forum. Digital Foundry makes videos about video games. I made a thread about Digital Foundry on a video game forum.

You're just having problems with them at the personal level, which is your problems, not mine or many others, we all like their videos, their analysis videos are outstanding to be honest, yeah they may have their biases here and there a little bit, but they are as objective as the word "Objective" can be.

The only one I have problems with is Alex Battaglia a bit LOL!!

Well, I've seen varying opinions here on that front. I do agree with you on Alex, though.

Last edited:

Pallas

Funny seeing double-standard hypocrites showing up in the thread and bringing up member's previous altercations with DF and dismissing the fact that DF has lost their quality of being neutral as an authoritative figure in the gaming tech world.

Unless they change their key members for the upcoming generation and bring back neutrality in their stance, I'll be sticking to NXGamer NXGamer as the main source of tech analysis.

So it’s an ever revolving musical chairs of who supports my narrative. This isn’t against you specifically my friend, but it’s like “DF says my box is better, DF good!” “DF says my box is underperforming, DF bad! Need alternate source”

But I will say having second opinion is never a bad thing if it’s in good faith.

Their videos and concept are for the curious and people who pretend to be genuinely interested but are really just looking for bias confirmation. I like the videos where they compare diff versions of multi platform games but they arebt the only ones who can capture video others do the same .

Seems lately the whole concept has been co opted to find advantage in minor technical differences ..... But I don't think many people take them that seriously or the Xbox one X would have flown off the shelf .

NXGamer

So it’s an ever revolving musical chairs of who supports my narrative. This isn’t against you specifically my friend, but it’s like “DF says my box is better, DF good!” “DF says my box is underperforming, DF bad! Need alternate source”

But I will say having second opinion is never a bad thing if it’s in good faith.
I om only here and commenting because I see my name being used by peeps to throw shade on me for no reason AND completely incorrectly I will also add.

The reason I have quoted you is that I only saw this thread as I was tagged from the comment you have quoted (Thanks @miyazakihateskojima) BUT I want to just draw attention to your comments here which I have seen from others.

The "In Good Faith" and NX support Sony so Bad, DF is independant so Good etc etc I am seeing.

If you say that DF is not biased and fair, then surely that is the same for me or any other site?

If me or other sites are in "Good faith" then is that question also valid for DF or other sites the same?

Last edited:

pyrocro

Interesting responses in this thread. One of the themes certainly seems to be, "I don't care about their analysis, but DF Retro is fantastic." That's basically Dark10X's, so he should feel good about his creation.
going by the overwhelming support DF is getting here I would say you're wrong,
also going by the Zer0 objective evidence and all hurt feelings your offering I would say you're wrong.

now all you have to do is wrap it up in "IMHO" and say "change my mind", "you guys are unfair"

Why does anyone care if I care about what Digital Foundry says?
It's almost like they are trying to delegitimize DF,
Who need objective Facts from DF when we can hear what's in the heart of the fanboy, I mean really hear stuff like "I don't think it's right for Alex to wear what he wants" or "That Richard use to be good when Sony had the most powerful console but now he just sucks, look at his British accent. "

The problem is DF gives you their methods shows the numbers and gives their opinion based on the facts.

I absolutely do not agree. What do we do now? For me, Uncharted 4 looks like real life/movie at times while RDR2 always looks like a game.
Death Stranding beats them both in realism of characters.
The scope has nothing to do with it. You cannot elevate worse graphics, because there are more of them

If only there was a website or youtube channel doing technical deep dives to settle the technical part of this disagreement.
I actually think you two are having a health argument.

TigerKnee

They're pretty legit to me. Just because they don't fit the narrative of some people doesn't mean they don't have the credentials.:messenger_unamused:

SCB3

HCAQNMN.png

guSk3zG.png

7UlmPF7.png

JRXzKzm.png

vlpwJzl.png

pfsIsGu.png

EMRc1mS.png

YXVzx8v.png

vmItvJ2.png

Damn is RDR2 a gorgeous game

Kuranghi

Some people see what they see without being told by them first, but I don't have time to analyze every game I play at every combination of settings. They help me decide on the best image quality/res+fps ratio and I like that saving of my time.

Hugare

Such a cringy atempt of bait from OP

Even going on about how Alex looks and such.

Maybe you were trying to be funny, but go to some comedy classes then

pyrocro

OP, the literal exabytes worth of complete garbage on youtube and you go for Digital Foundary? lmao
HAHAHAHAH, you know
This alone tells you how he does not see how bad his take on it is.
I om only here and commenting because I see my name being used by peeps to throw shade on me for no reason AND completely incorrectly I will also add.

The reason I have quoted you is that I only saw this thread as I was tagged from the comment you have quoted (Thanks @miyazakihateskojima) BUT I want to just draw attention to your comments here which I have seen from others.

The "In Good Faith" and NX support Sony so Bad, DF is independant so Good etc etc I am seeing.

If you say that DF is not biased and fair, then surely that is the same for me or any other site?

If me or other sites are in "Good faith" then is that question also valid for DF or other sites the same?
Dude I have seen but one or 2 of your videos and they are doing you a disservice here.

No, and if you had bothered to follow the thread, you'd see that I've been questioning their authority on the subject of 3d graphics, their testing methodology, and whether or not their fan base would even be able to identify if they were right or wrong, especially since so much of their material is used for console war fodder.
So in other words you have NO evidence of what they are presenting is in bad faith, wrong or basis, your just putting it out there.

you know I hear you like to rub your left knee when looking out the window while tapping you small toe on your right foot after you commit larceny on the candy store opposite your house.
I can't trust a man that does that, I just can't, but I do like your thumbnail.

This is a video game forum. Digital Foundry makes videos about video games. I made a thread about Digital Foundry on a video game forum.

Well, I've seen varying opinions here on that front. I do agree with you on Alex, though.
He does not even say why he does not like Alex and you Agree with him. you just jumped on that.
what if it's because ALEX sent DMs to the animal shelter he adopted his cat from saying the way he hugs his cat is wrong, you don't know.

Pallas

Didn’t say you were biased or unfair, it really has nothing to do with what you said, but everything what others do with it. As I said, second opinions, contrasting opinions are never a bad thing, but with how some on here uses it to discredit, insult otherwise call their work lousy? I’m not saying they are perfect or you are perfect, but it’s clearly been weaponized by some. Both of ya’ll do good work.

Last edited:

pyrocro

Here is your chance to prove all your points, the video is even done by Alex,
But I suspect no one will have anything to say.

I have a few questions...

Can you really not see how DF fit into the landscape of the games community?

Can you really not understand that there are a number of people who find the types of comparison videos and ‘in depth‘ technical discussion useful?

Do you really think the gaming community online would be better without them?

To me they do a reasonably good job of staying pretty honest. I have my preferences as to who hosts. Richard and John being the best at keeping it real imo. Alex comes across as a PC master race elitist sometimes but he understands the tech well enough to help me learn a thing or two.

They have a useful input on Multiplatform games and while the stuff they spout about resolution means nothing to me as I’m still running my PS4 Pro on a 1080p screen I do care about frame rates and the technology being used to build and create game graphics these days.

Interestingly I often get as much enjoyment about finding out how game developers are doing things technically and so this next console generation is going to be a lot of fun comparing and seeing where things go with TF or GB/s being the more important.

If anything I wish they would work harder at improving their tech analysis. I want them to start to really try and push for insider access to Sony and Microsoft. Do better jobs of really going into the nitty gritty of the tech. Do hardware tear downs and see what they can see. Get so well regarded that it’s a bad idea for a game release to ignore their in depth stuff. Find out if there is any downgrade being seen or if it’s just rabbid fans crying foul.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
If this thread taught me anything is that in average Sony fanboys are the most entitled in gaming. DF ain't biased at all. They are just counting pixels and FPS. When the PS4 released everything was about 1080p vs 900p. 900p was made to be this blurry unplayable mess, and all console fanboys became expert pixel counters. DF was the holy grail

But all of a sudden when the X released DF became MS shills just for telling that the x runs games better than the Pro?

They tell it like it is: Sony released the Pro in a hurry because they were afraid that people were going to leave their ecosystem for PC gaming, as before the mining craze took place, 300/400 USD builds could crush the PS4. MS released their enhanced machine one year later and at a higher price. It is what it is, just a better designed and more powerful machine.

Love their content.

But all of a sudden when the X released DF became MS shills just for telling that the x runs games better than the Pro?

They were shills last gen, perfectly fine at the start of this gen, and shills again when Xbox One X launched. It's only going to get worse :messenger_medmask:

sn0man

This is why they are respected.

I don't think the usual suspect realize how obvious the poor arguments are.

I'm still waiting for any objective evidence, all I see is "well they like xbox one x now"

Objective truth is obviously not what they are looking for.

This is so ridiculous
with no real evidence offered other than Alex might steal your girlfriend type of argument, so now we should consider DF basis.
43sysj.jpg

It's mind-boggling.

I want to hear Richard say the FULL FAT Experience!.

haters definitely in here grabbing their tits outside and forecasting that it is currently raining

DF is almost like a double threat. They test the multiplats for us and they trigger the Sony Ponies, Xbots, and Nintendiots all at the same time.

DF isn’t afraid to call out the performance of a game no matter which platform. It’s invaluable when it comes to decide which platform to purchase a game on.

simple example: they have identified slowdown on a few of the indie switch titles I wanted to get so I went PS4 instead.

TexMex

I like DF, even though very little of what they say has any bearing on what games I'll buy. I'm not going to pause the game and do a 100x zoom on some dirt or someone's hair to see if there's a jagged edge when I'm playing. But I do find the analysis interesting. They break it down in an easy to understand and informative way. Great channel.

sn0man

Here is your chance to prove all your points, the video is even done by Alex,
But I suspect no one will have anything to say.

DF: “PS4 Pro has a lower resolution.”
Dude. This guy has some really ugly socks.

DF: “though Xbox has that trademark odd gamma that crushes detail in an admittedly dark game.”
Okay, I admit his shoes do seem decent.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don’t post often on forums these days (anywhere) but I did want to say thank you for the mostly kind words. Obviously this stuff isn’t for everyone but it’s something I’m passionate about and love producing videos on. That’s really all it is. I’m happy at least some other people enjoy it enough that I can do it. Especially the retro videos.

I don’t want to tell people what to buy or not - I mostly focus on what I find interesting or important in a game. Not everyone is going to care or agree and that’s OK. I just love games and I love talking about them.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
if there was no Digital Foundry or the likes of there wouldn't be so much discussions on SSD or TF. It all feeds our hobby of gaming

Whitecrow

Banned
Why do you OP post on this forum? Is not like anyone cares about what you have to say.

You will get your answer from that.

Quantum253

if there was no Digital Foundry or the likes of there wouldn't be so much discussions on SSD or TF. It all feeds our hobby of gaming
It seems developers/vendors generally have a good relationship with them too. I enjoyed DFs Xbsex overview/First look over other YouTube channels. Maybe Tflops sell. What's next, why do you care what Giant Bomb has to say?

I don’t post often on forums these days (anywhere) but I did want to say thank you for the mostly kind words. Obviously this stuff isn’t for everyone but it’s something I’m passionate about and love producing videos on. That’s really all it is. I’m happy at least some other people enjoy it enough that I can do it. Especially the retro videos.

I don’t want to tell people what to buy or not - I mostly focus on what I find interesting or important in a game. Not everyone is going to care or agree and that’s OK. I just love games and I love talking about them.

You and the team are great, love the videos. Keep it up!

(would love to see more Dreamcast stuff 🎆)

Business

Well they are useful to know if a game runs well on a given system. Now when they try to be a bit more than that they start to sound a bit ridiculous, specially the German dude.

-Arcadia-

Banned

You rock, and we (the sane people) all miss you here. Keep making amazing content! We need to be able to sit back and relax, now more than ever.

I don't know if you'd remember, but just before the launch of GTAIV there was this stupid gif going around which PS3 owners used to prove that the PS3 version had a better framerate. Also people saying pre-launch that the PS3 version had a higher resolution.

That dominated conversations about the game until it launched.

Turns out the PS3 had neither and the Xbox 360 version was better looking and performing, while the PS3 version was sub-HD.

So thank God we have DF to come to a definitive conclusion so those type of "discussions" are immediately put to rest.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I don't know if you'd remember, but just before the launch of GTAIV there was this stupid gif going around which PS3 owners used to prove that the PS3 version had a better framerate. Also people saying pre-launch that the PS3 version had a higher resolution.

That dominated conversations about the game until it launched.in

Turns out the PS3 had neither and the Xbox 360 version was better looking and performing, while the PS3 version was sub-HD.

So thank God we have DF to come to a definitive conclusion so those type of "discussions" are immediately put to rest.
I remember the PS3 version having more grass in GTA 5

Last edited:

Quantum253

How many times does a game or piece of tech come out and someone wants to hear what DF has to say? I know I'm waiting for the notification to go off. I guess if OP doesn't like DF, they can always learn how to build a PC from the Verge.

ROMhack

Late to the thread but no, I don't watch any gaming videos on YT.

What they do is great though. They're knowledgeable and the videos are well-made. Can't fault them for it but it's not for me.

Last edited:

Shmunter

They give insight into the details of the rendered gfx. I find the info interesting. Same reason I sub to NX Gamer.

I appreciate that the Alex guy presents as somewhat of a liability, but overall more good than bad.

Not for everyone obviously.

Top Bottom