• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Bungie STILL not include sound options in their games?

Robin64

The music in Destiny so far is amazing, but there should be options for audio.

Why can't I have Dinklage talking through my controller, either? That would be awesome.

You answered your own question in the original post. and it takes away from the experience to meddle with the sound options. Enjoy what's been presented to you. It's not really that big of a deal is it?

I had to go into the menu to switch to inverted look when I spawned and it completely destroyed the entire experience for me.

jesu

My hearing might not be the best but I've never been able to satisfactorily hear the characters voices in the Halo games, so cheers for that Marty.
Every other game I turn the voices up to hear them better if i need too.
Haven't had any problem with Destiny because there is hardly any talking.

Dunno, maybe Bungie's sound team have their heads up their arseholes. It's one thing to tune the game, but players should have the ability to tweak simple things like VO, FX and Music volume.

I personally love the way the game sounds as it is now, but if I'm to play this for dozens of hours, I might not want to hear the music the entire time.

also walking on metal should occasionally sound somewhat like walking on metal. /nitpick.

see5harp

I will say that even if it all seemed low to me, when I did get the volume up, that sound effects had some crazy ass dynamic range. Distant gunshots echoed around and close range guns sounded super fierce. Plus the position of characters and shots was easily determined simply by the sound, which isn't always the case with shooters.

grimmiq

I have a cheap mic and chat volume was coming through very quiet..so I decided.. "I know, I'll put it through my speakers, turn up chat and turn down in-game volume."...nope..

Yup, I play the PS4 exclusively with in-ear headphones and when I went to partner up with a random person last night I could barely hear what they were saying. Tried to turn the audio down in the options but no such luck! Very annoying. People need to bitch loudly about this.

Teknoman

Always surprises me that there are people that want to turn off the music in games, especially when the soundtracks are really good. But to each their own I guess.

Yup, I play the PS4 exclusively with in-ear headphones and when I went to partner up with a random person last night I could barely hear what they were saying. Tried to turn the audio down in the options but no such luck! Very annoying. People need to bitch loudly about this.

There should be an option to prioritze chat, but I forget where I saw it... It was either in game or a PS4 menu option.

Always surprises me that there are people that want to turn off the music in games, especially when the soundtracks are really good. But to each their own I guess.

I find most games more immersive without music. It's not a reflection of the quality of the music in a game, just that it's easier to 'lose myself' in the world when all I have are ambient sounds, and not some artificial soundtrack.

I know it's heresy to pretty much all people, but I almost always turn off the music in any game that'll let me.

Dahaka

I will say that even if it all seemed low to me, when I did get the volume up, that sound effects had some crazy ass dynamic range. Distant gunshots echoed around and close range guns sounded super fierce. Plus the position of characters and shots was easily determined simply by the sound, which isn't always the case with shooters.

Yep, the design is pretty good. There could have been more material based effects though.

And in 2014 i really think it's fucking time to end the flat bullshit rendering part of audio. I want elevation. Objects above or below me should also sound like they are where they are.

Yeah, it was great not being able to hear dialogue while orchestral music and explosions screamed through my headphones.

The option to alter audio settings would be welcome.

Wallach

Drives me nuts, you can't hear the in game voice chat for shit with their balance. Using PSN party chat to get around it for now but it needs patched.

Vashetti

Banned
You only need to look at Naughty Dog's expansive audio settings on TLOU:Remastered to see that every other developer is behind when it comes to that sort of thing.

I mean, look at this:

fky2OH7.jpg

They need to patch in decent audio settings, asap.

You only need to look at Naughty Dog's expansive audio settings on TLOU:Remastered to see that every other developer is behind when it comes to that sort of thing.

I mean, look at this:

But will they? Do they give a shit even?

Should we start a petition? Start harassing Bungie on twitter?

I don't know how internet activism works....

SpokkX

I actually looked for an option to disable voice acting..

Dinklages voice is driving me insane. It really is way worse than i could have imagined. Of course the script is really bad but his performance is just grating :(

eshwaaz

I find most games more immersive without music. It's not a reflection of the quality of the music in a game, just that it's easier to 'lose myself' in the world when all I have are ambient sounds, and not some artificial soundtrack.

I know it's heresy to pretty much all people, but I almost always turn off the music in any game that'll let me.
I can totally relate. I don't turn music off, but I almost always turn it down from default settings if possible.

Bungie has been frustrating me with this for years now. Music is always overbearing, weapon sounds always too soft. The lack of sound options always felt like an ego-driven omission to me.

I actually looked for an option to disable voice acting..

Dinklages voice is driving me insane. It really is way worse than i could have imagined. Of course the script is really bad but his performance is just grating :(

I noticed when I was playing last night that they don't have the 'that wizard came from the moon!' line anymore.

Strange, seeing as how they made a t-shirt out of the phrase

ced

This is why they fired Marty.

Seriously though, as amazing as the music is it was too loud in Halo and too loud in Destiny.

Muffdraul

I haven't had any audio issues with Destiny, everything about it sounds great to me. I did notice that certain weapons sounded pathetically weak sauce in Halo 2/3; The shotgun and sniper in 2, the AR and BR in 3. And I always assumed (or maybe heard at some point) that it was indeed Marty, making sure his music wasn't being stepped on. I'm really hoping 343 rectifies that in the MCC. All in all, I wish Marty was still with Bungie...

This is why they fired Marty.

Has that been confirmed, or are you just speculating? I would think if they fired him for his 'I know best' attitude, the first thing they would have done upon firing him would be to put audio options in the game.

I thought I heard that they just fired him because he was demanding a large raise or something like that....

hohoXD123

Yeah, I noticed problems when trying out voice chat, it's very difficult to hear unless if you only have the person's voice fed through the headset.

I haven't had any audio issues with Destiny, everything about it sounds great to me. I did notice that certain weapons sounded pathetically weak sauce in Halo 2/3; The shotgun and sniper in 2, the AR and BR in 3. And I always assumed (or maybe heard at some point) that it was indeed Marty, making sure his music wasn't being stepped on. I'm really hoping 343 rectifies that in the MCC. All in all, I wish Marty was still with Bungie...

Did Halo 4 have sound sliders? I heard it didn't (didn't play it) which is interesting, considering Marty wasn't even a part of it.

Maybe it isn't Marty after all, I dunno. I've looked online and can't find a quote of him confirming that it's his decision to leave the sound unadjustable. I thought I heard it from a reliable source thought. Maybe it's just something in the official Microsoft mandate for the game? But no, then why would Destiny be the same way?

SO CONFUSED

Slime

Banned
Slightly off-topic, but does the anniversary edition of Halo: CE have a subtitle option? I don't think I've ever heard all of Cortana's lines in any playthrough because of the sound mix. Might give me another reason to get the MCC.

Slightly off-topic, but does the anniversary edition of Halo: CE have a subtitle option? I don't think I've ever heard all of Cortana's lines in any playthrough because of the sound mix. Might give me another reason to get the MCC.

No idea. I'll be curious to see if that game has audio sliders in it.

My guess: It won't.

Daigoro

I'm getting annoyed with fucked up sound mixing in a lot of games lately. Even with sound options, Diablo 3's sound is all over the fucking place and they still haven't fixed it despite how long it's been out and the fact it is out on multiple platforms. Also if what OP said is true then fuck Marty O'Donnell. NO ONE can know what's best for the countless sound setups out there. And that is not even factoring in what people prefer for their sound levels to be for sound, music and voice.

agreed! Bungie games have always been like this and its fucking bullshit. you cannot account for every type of setup, and the sound mix will never be the same for everyone.

at least in Diablo there are some sliders. i still cant get it perfect, but at least i can turn down the main sound effects and hear something else than explosions rattling the walls. they totally screwed the pooch in the sound mix for D3. a fix would be nice.

im with you 100% and i almost always leave the in game soundtrack on. there are exceptions though, likedriving sims where it makes no sense to have music ruin the beautiful sound design of the cars themselves, and games like Trials HD/EVO where the soundtrack is insanely repetitive and you need to have a custom sountrack in order to not go insane.

also OPTIONS are good. the more the better for me. see below.

I mean, look at this:

that is glorious. truly.

No, its the worst performance.
Words are irrelevant. I boot up Diablo 3 and Danganronpa afterwards and hear crazy shit said with conviction and feeling.
Tyrion phoned it in.

blame the director. it's their fault if the final product comes out like that.

D3, really? lol

I have zero problems with the chat volume in the 360 version. My headset has separate chat and game audio sliders to dial in the right balance.

RiverKwai

Pretty sure it wouldn't be hard for them to patch in audio options. I'm no sound engineer, but I'm pretty certain they have the access to the music master files and could allow users to lower them or GOD FORBID turn them off entirely.

While it's not "hard" per se, it really is something best done early. Not when they are more or less in crunch time for Alpha and Beta.
Likely a lot of debugging and stuff that would have to do.

Top Bottom