• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does everybody like pizza so much?

It's hard to pick one favorite food when someone asks you that question. Pizza is a good answer. I usually say steak.

I think when someone asks you "what's your favorite" anything, they are just trying to figure you out.

What's your favorite color of your favorite type of food on your favorite day of your favorite month of the year?

Nymphae

Banned
I don't doubt that (especially on company's dime LOL) but pizza does have it's way of making even the more cranky employees crawl out of their corner cubbies. It makes even the older employees excited... in a way that a steak party wouldn't, I don't think. Ice Cream has a similar effect.

I kinda wonder if there is some nostalgic aspect to it. In the west, or at least the US, pizza has been a birthday party favorite, and in grade school it was essentially the de-facto Friday lunch.

I think nostalgia, also the fact that there are usually options provided so no one is left out or unhappy, and that it's just easy finger foods. It's hard to not enjoy pizza unless you have some dietary reason you can't have it. But honestly people at my work get just as excited when someone brings in Timbits (donut holes in America I believe), free food gets people excited and into the lunchroom talking no matter what it is.

Last edited:

lil puff

Would you personally rather enjoy have a steak dinner or a pizza dinner?

I mean I love steak but pizza is just so delicious
Without a doubt, a steak for me.

Oddly enough, even in NYC I tend to like the big chain pizza better. Pizza Hut, Little Ceasers, etc. I'd actually prefer a grilled cheese with tomato soup over a slice. So it's probably more that I don't use much logic in the foods I like.

But I do think some folks in NYC overrate one pizza place over the other for silly reasons, such as seeing a long line, old pictures on the wall, or seeing a place on TV. They're like Ohhhh this place is so awesome, but that one is shit! Those kinda guys (imo) just buy into the hype of things and just like the things other people like.

Without a doubt, a steak for me.

Oddly enough, even in NYC I tend to like the big chain pizza better. Pizza Hut, Little Ceasers, etc. I'd actually prefer a grilled cheese with tomato soup over a slice. So it's probably more that I don't use much logic in the foods I like.

But I do think some folks in NYC overrate one pizza place over the other for silly reasons, such as seeing a long line, old pictures on the wall, or seeing a place on TV. They're like Ohhhh this place is so awesome, but that one is shit! Those kinda guys (imo) just buy into the hype of things and just like the things other people like.

I know chain pizza gets ragged on but the Dominoes thin crust is really good. It's flaky and has a nice crunch without just being a cracker. Cheap as hell too

It's versatile. It can appeal to the working class and the elite. It can be veggie/vegan or for omnivores. It is eternal, a classic and forever young. Pizza is the gift that keeps on giving.

epicnemesis

Pizza is great, but not the best.
Pro tip: pulled pork is the best topping. I had leftover pulled pork once and threw it on a plain cheese pizza. So good.

manfestival

Pizza is high in the glycemic index. This should be part of the reason why it is so desired. There are also plenty of non scientific reasons as to why people like it so much as well.

lil puff

Pizza is great, but not the best.
Pro tip: pulled pork is the best topping. I had leftover pulled pork once and threw it on a plain cheese pizza. So good.
I tried something like this a BBQ pizza, and I did like the idea of the pulled pork.

But the BBQ sauce for me, is too sweet for pizza, too intense and I did not want more than 2 slices.

Pizza is high in the glycemic index. This should be part of the reason why it is so desired. There are also plenty of non scientific reasons as to why people like it so much as well.

There's' also the "Pizza Effect" I read about when researching diabetes that is something like the fats on a typical pizza, especially a meaty one, create a delayed blood sugar spike 2-3 hours after eating from the delayed carb absorption, or something like that

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I always figured its popularity was more due to convenience than actual merit. While it does taste good, its biggest benefits, at least to me, are that it's quick and easy.

epicnemesis

I tried something like this a BBQ pizza, and I did like the idea of the pulled pork.

But the BBQ sauce for me, is too sweet for pizza, too intense and I did not want more than 2 slices.

I don’t put sauce on my pulled pork. BBQ sauce just makes everything taste like BBQ sauce. The magic is in the rub.

ROMhack

Problem with pizza is that there's nothing to it but pizza.

I'd prefer to have a proper main and sides.

Last edited:

Ribi

pizza i recently made

IMG_20190330_151912.jpg

JCK75

Good mom and pop pizza had that amazing crispy crust that is moist and chewy on the insane, flavorful sauce and cheese that just strings across the room loaded with tasty meats and veggies..
nothing better..

Less great Pizza such a Dominoes we roll with because it's a convenience food, one of the few you can feed a lot of people cheaply and they will bring it to you... and even that is really enjoyable in it's own way.

brap

Banned
Are you asking around an elementary school or something lol? Yeah nearly everyone likes it but I'm not sure everyone would claim it as their favourite meal.
lmao nah. just so many people i know act like it's the greatest thing ever.

What makes it good? Variety of ways to prepare it, many different options, easy to eat, no utensils, hot or cold.
lmao nah. just so many people i know act like it's the greatest thing ever.

pizza i recently made

IMG_20190330_151912.jpg
Nice salad bruh

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I know chain pizza gets ragged on but the Dominoes thin crust is really good. It's flaky and has a nice crunch without just being a cracker. Cheap as hell too

As far as chains go Dominoes is the best IMO.

And usually they run some sort of special, I think every monday its 50% off any pizza.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Probably a food that has the best combo of everything:

- Can buy it, make it from scratch or heat up grocery store pizzas
- If you make it yourself, it's pretty hard to fuck up (really the only key screw up is leaving it in the oven too long burning it)
- Everyone can have it the way they want
- Cheap
- Filling
- Delivery
- A million locations open late
- A partyfest. This is the ultimate share and have fun food. Most things you make or buy is single servings. You aren't going to break a burger in half or cut someone half your steak
- You can use your hands and eat it on the go
- Great for leftovers, and if you have the space in your fridge you just jam the cardboard box in

Bonus: Grab a defrosted pizza from your fridge and put it on your BBQ! Not too hot. And if you're concerned about that, put it on the small top rack (if your BBQ has it). Those rising crust pizzas come out like a champ on a BBQ!

HoodWinked

i came back on pizza, i liked it as a kid, but started to like it less as i got older but more recently i've started to enjoy it alot more because how easily accessible brick oven pizzas are now. i don't put pineapple on artisan style pizzas but on chain pizzas it makes them much more of a sweet, salty, savory mess that junk food should be.

Ellery

Pizza is the best. No matter if it is frozen, chain or good restaurant pizza.

The last 2 years I learned to make good pizza from the ground up. I bought a nice oven just for Pizza. I tried about 10 different flours, varying degrees of top/bottom heat combinations, amount of yeast and duration of fermentation, lots of different cheeses and more sauces than I can count (or lets say spices/herbs in those sauces).
Took me roughly 18 months and 200+ pizzas to achieve a result that is consistent and repeatable (but still has a lot of room for improvement).

Here are some things I found out to be the most important :

- Bottom heat is KING. The reason most pizzas made at home in a conventional oven are not as good is because of a lack of bottom heat. Direct contact is best.
- The longer the proofing/fermentation the better the dough tastes
- One of the most important things is the protein in the flour. 12-14% is optimal for good stretching.
- You can make really good pizza at 250°C (482°F), but the best pizza is always from ultra hot wood fire stone ovens ( 450°C / 840°F )
- Pizza is much more complicated to make than people think. Try out 10 different recipes from the internet and you will fail 9 times and get lucky once. Probably fail 10 times.
- It is mostly because following recipes is not that easy because you have to make a specific dough for your specific circumstances and flour. Each flour has different water absorbtion.
- Sugar and oil in the dough is good at low heat ovens for the browning. High heat oven can do just fine with just having flour, water, salt, yeast.

I am a lover of pizza. No matter if it is deep dish, detroit, new york, roma or the most traditional of them all the neapolitan.

Here is a picture of a pizza I would love to try out, but it is like 4000 miles away :

o.jpg

fatty

pizza-hawaii.jpg

Yes I love Pizza Hawaii with Pine apples. Come at me :p

Also chicken Curry Pizza which aslo has pineapples :p

pizza_curryhuhn_4.png

I know this place is pretty lenient with posting but you really should put something this offensive behind a spoiler tag and label NSFW.

But I think it is a losing battle with some people and their pineapple pizza, my wife even likes the stuff. Oh well, nobody’s perfect.

Greedings

Pizza is just good tasty food. It’s really hard to find a bad pizza, and a mediocre pizza is still tasty.

Necro'd

Just wanted to let everyone know my affinity for pizza as well. It's delicious. I had Cici's buffet for the first time a few weeks back and have been going once a week now. Good for the price.

lil puff

Necro'd

Just wanted to let everyone know my affinity for pizza as well. It's delicious. I had Cici's buffet for the first time a few weeks back and have been going once a week now. Good for the price.
I have been seeing the commercials and they make me hungry everytime.
Too bad we don't have Cicis.

Thanks for the lunch suggestion! Pizza soon!

Top Bottom