• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does everyone complain about this generation?

Guilty_AI

I'd say getting hung up on terms such as "next-gen" is the issue. Hardware has come really far, game development challenges nowadays often come more from a management/logistical stand point than how well you can wring up the hardware like in the old days, as well as a creative one of course.

Of course, there'll still be improvements, but they'll become less and less frequent, less and less noticeable. At least until some new general tech revolution comes around, much like how movies didn't change much since the addition of color and sound until CG and digital TVs came around.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'd say getting hung up on terms such as "next-gen" is the issue. Hardware has come really far, game development challenges nowadays often come more from a management/logistical stand point than how well you can wring up the hardware like in the old days, as well as a creative one of course.

Of course, there'll still be improvements, but they'll become less and less frequent, less and less noticeable. At least until some new general tech revolution comes around, much like how movies didn't change much since the addition of color and sound until CG and digital TVs came around.
im of the opinion that the pro consoles soured people on the improvement next gen brought over

But at the same time i also think we should have just gone for 1440p instead of 4k because thats more sensible

3rd to 5th gen all had the same resolution of 240p and the difference was staggering

hqdefault.jpg
27870-kirby-super-star-snes-screenshot-the-tree-throws-apples-on.jpg
172620-kirby-64-the-crystal-shards-nintendo-64-screenshot-combining.jpg

radewagon

You just answered your question. Every single one of those are easily possible on a PS4. Why do we need this new generation?
Nobody said the games were bad. People who bought next gen consoles are understandably upset nothing substantial has come out to justify their purchase.
Gamers are such a weird bunch. The thing that justifies a new purchase is that there are new games available that can be played on said consoles (sometimes even exclusively). As a bonus, the experience is also better than it would have been on a previous console (by how much, is debatable, but regardless, it is better). That's about the end of the discussion for most every other media that's not gaming. Can you imagine if people that bought a new streaming box were mad that the movies they were watching weren't significantly a different experience than what was available on their old Roku. If they were going on like, "only the resolution and sound are better." Or if people that bought a new Kindle or Tablet were mad that the books were not taking enough advantage of the new processor.

I've grown up with gaming. Started on the Atari. In the past, we saw huge upticks in what was possible with each new generation, but honestly, that is kind over and done with. A lot of people are saying PS3 and I agree. That generation is when we got to see, basically, a gaming landscape where budget, scope, time, and imagination became the predominant limiting factors of the medium over what was traditionally a technological set of limiting factors. Anyone wanting the next new thing because of a new console generation is pretty much setting themselves up for failure because it's not the tech that's holding devs back from making the games that justify the PS5 (again, not something that really needs to be justified).

If you're looking for a justification, the new consoles play new games and play the old ones better. If that isn't enough, then stick with PS4 and just sell the PS5 to someone that will appreciate what it brings to the table.

* All arguments are Playstation focused, but can easily be used with an Xbox-centric framework.

hyperbertha

Gamers are such a weird bunch. The thing that justifies a new purchase is that there are new games available that can be played on said consoles (sometimes even exclusively). As a bonus, the experience is also better than it would have been on a previous console (by how much, is debatable, but regardless, it is better). That's about the end of the discussion for most every other media that's not gaming. Can you imagine if people that bought a new streaming box were mad that the movies they were watching weren't significantly a different experience than what was available on their old Roku. If they were going on like, "only the resolution and sound are better." Or if people that bought a new Kindle or Tablet were mad that the books were not taking enough advantage of the new processor.

I've grown up with gaming. Started on the Atari. In the past, we saw huge upticks in what was possible with each new generation, but honestly, that is kind over and done with. A lot of people are saying PS3 and I agree. That generation is when we got to see, basically, a gaming landscape where budget, scope, time, and imagination became the predominant limiting factors of the medium over what was traditionally a technological set of limiting factors. Anyone wanting the next new thing because of a new console generation is pretty much setting themselves up for failure because it's not the tech that's holding devs back from making the games that justify the PS5 (again, not something that really needs to be justified).

If you're looking for a justification, the new consoles play new games and play the old ones better. If that isn't enough, then stick with PS4 and just sell the PS5 to someone that will appreciate what it brings to the table.

* All arguments are Playstation focused, but can easily be used with an Xbox-centric framework.
Dumb analogy. The games can also be played on PS4 which is one of the points. Only just now we are finally starting to get next gen exclusives. Also, you can't compare with movies, as they don't have the premium associated with buying games, and movies are complete experiences, not wrought with graphical flaws we need to tolerate. Imagine if a streaming box promised 4k, and you were still stuck with 1080p movies. That's a better analogy.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
wow.look at all these New IPs. i am impressed.
Games in 2008
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Dead Space (New IP)
Grand Theft Auto IV
Far Cry 2
Call of Duty: World at War
LittleBigPlanet (New IP)
Persona 4
Battlefield Bad Company
Mario Kart Wii
Gears of War 2
Fable 2
Spore (New IP)

Games in 2022
Elden Ring (new IP)
Stray (New IP)
Neon White (New IP)
Tunic (New IP)
Vampire Survivors (New IP)
Bayonetta 3
Tinykin (New IP)
God of War Ragnarok
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Kirby and the Forgotten Lands
Sifu (New IP)
Chained Echoes (New IP)

💀

Last edited:
imho every generation, 2 of the 3 big consoles blend more and more. PS1/N64 era, most games were exclusive except for licensed games. In the PS2/Xbox/GC era, there were still lots of exclusive games on each console, with each more or less being its own ecosystem. PS3/Wii/360 era, the consoles were still distinct but the distinction was far less significant than in previous iterations.

By the time we get to the PS4/whatever the xbox was called/(wii u lol Nintendo basically skipped this gen) nearly all games were cross platform. Any exclusives would eventually be ported to PC.

Now, in the PS5/current xbox era, neither of them have anything exclusive that lend them any real identity. I guess ff16? Nintendo is their own beast here and is the only entity with any kind of real identity. I almost got a ps5 for ff16 but decided against it.

We arent ever going back to the glory days of the PS1/N64 and PS2/GC/Xbox, but we do have a bunch of extremely good surprise indy titles that are more or less on par with a lot of those old school games.

this is just my take, feel free to disagree or w/e, Im just writing it because its been on my mind recently.

Games in 2008
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Dead Space (New IP)
Grand Theft Auto IV
Far Cry 2
LittleBigPlanet (New IP)
Persona 4
Battlefield Bad Company
Mario Kart Wii
Gears of War 2
Fable 2
Spore (New IP)

Games in 2022
Elden Ring (new IP)
Stray (New IP)
Neon White (New IP)
Tunic (New IP)
Bayonetta 3
Tinykin (New IP)
God of War Ragnarok
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Sifu (New IP)
Chained Echoes (New IP)

💀
yep. these new consoles are not justifying their existence.

We are missing The Crossovers. I had a dream last night, after Final Fantasy 16, The next Chronotrigger is Final Fantasy x Dark Souls. It was a badass dream. Really pumped me up for the future!

I wanted to make a thread about it but I don't have privileges yet!

Last edited:

RedC

Sorry, I thought this was the thread to shit on Gen Z and I was more than happy to participate.

I'll just leave disappointed along with my pitchfork. :pie_disappointed:

tr1p1ex

that's because there is less and less truly new and exciting in games at least for me.

And too many games are slaves to graphics. Too many expensive yet empty soulless buggy poor performing static generic mediocre shells of games that came before.

There's more money than ever being spent on smaller gains than ever on graphics and there's a feeling that that money could be better spent elsewhere. That the tradeoffs aren't worth it any more. That we could get some cooler more interesting games if everyone (every western AAA developer) wasn't out there being a slave to the graphics every time.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
At first I was gonna reply because young people today might be the most entitled and clueless of all time, but then realized we are on the game board. I think it’s because so far, I don’t feel like there is one absolute must have on either Xbox Series X or PS5 that couldn’t or is t on the previous generation.

Starfield feels like the first real big AAA game of the generation and we’re 84 years into this gen.

Last edited:

ungalo

Games in 2008
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Dead Space (New IP)
Grand Theft Auto IV
Far Cry 2
LittleBigPlanet (New IP)
Persona 4
Battlefield Bad Company
Mario Kart Wii
Gears of War 2
Fable 2
Spore (New IP)

Games in 2022
Elden Ring (new IP)
Stray (New IP)
Neon White (New IP)
Tunic (New IP)
Bayonetta 3
Tinykin (New IP)
God of War Ragnarok
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Sifu (New IP)
Chained Echoes (New IP)

💀
That's quite deceitful. You take one year in particular then you make very partial lists.

Iin 2008 there was also Mirror's Edge, Braid, Valkyria Chronicles, Professor Layton, World of Goo, The Witcher, Castle Crashers, No More Heroes, Lost Odyssey...those are way more impactful than Stray, Tinykin or Chained Echoes.

I played Tinykin or Chained Echoes, that's not something you can compare in any way to either games that had an impact like Braid or Lost Odyssey, or even more to games that started whole new franchises.

New IP means something when we talk about AAA because it's actually a risk that's taken. A ripoff of old JPRG with a new name like Chained Echoes and no production value doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things (and i liked the game, that's not the problem), we have to compare what's comparable.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Iin 2008 there was also Mirror's Edge, Braid, Valkyria Chronicles, Professor Layton, World of Goo, The Witcher, Castle Crashers, No More Heroes, Lost Odyssey...those are way more impactful than Stray, Tinykin or Chained Echoes.
It's hard to measure impact. is it the amount of discussion generated? The amount of copies sold? GOTY awards? by those metrics vampire Survivors would be considered more impactful than any of the games you listed, It takes two would still be talked about and praised these days, and people would still reguarly be talking about and praising Tetris instead of relegating it to discussions of the Game Boy.
I'd have heard about Braid sooner than I have Cave Story, Limbo, Pizza Tower or Ultrakill.
You really shouldn't use terms like 'impact' and 'soul' because you can't very well define them.... No one can

Last edited:

ungalo

by those metrics vampire Survivors would be considered more impactful than any of the games you listed, It takes two would still be talked about and praised these days, and people would still reguarly be talking about and praising Tetris instead of relegating it to discussions of the Game Boy.
Am i saying the opposite ? I guess it's debatable but why not. About Tetris in particular, it's pretty obvious it's one of the most impactful game of all time.

It's probably pointless to try to measure it perfectly but the objective factors still exist. What you mentioned are objective factors and are just hard to assess, it has nothing to do with "soul" which is purely subjective i think.

In any case, when people are talking about the lack of new IP they are obviously talking about games in a certain range of budget. Because making a new IP doesn't represent a particular challenge for an indie studio, it's either safe or an obligation. If you wanted you could have made an entire list of new IPs for 2022, and if it's futile to try to classify games in regard of their impact you could have fill an entire page. But it's not an indication of the shape of the industry when distribution platforms make it so easy to launch games.

People (including me) want to see bigger studios and publishers make new games, i think it's a fair complaint.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
About Tetris in particular, it's pretty obvious it's one of the most impactful game of all time.
I'm not arguing on that, but still. Impact doesn't guarantee consistent and everlasting relevance, even if Tetris was one of the most influential games of all time.... It's still a game from way back in the 80s.

Im fine with the rest of yo post tho

0neAnd0nly

This thread old, but I’ll comment my thoughts…

• Game dev time longer than ever, less massive hits.

• 3rd party chaos ensuing as consolidation continues

• Creativity at ABSOLUTE ALL TIME LOW

• Political undertones in seemingly every game from Madden to TLOU.

• Real Supply chain issues followed by…

• Controlled supply chain issues… followed by…

• Price hikes on 2 consoles?

• First price hike on software in a bit

• Journalism and reviews in the industry at the worst trust level of all time

• Not a consistent leap in visuals or quality with almost all games still being produced for last generation as well

On and on and on…

There is some serious problems in the industry right now that people try to pretend don’t exist, but it is certainly creating some pessimism as a whole. Pessimism is the new western trend though, so why not I guess?

I'm 90% convinced that those complaining only play AAA titles.
Play more indies and middle market games and less corporative extravaganzas that rarely deliver.

The rot has well and truly spread to indies and AA as well though.

If a dev in this sphere makes something that catches fire on Steam then you can bet that nearly every other notable dev at that level will make a clone of it with their own "unique spin" on it.

It's why people are fed up of the new stuff coming to gamepass for the past year or so. It's mostly stuff from smaller studios that feels like stuff that everyone has played numerous times over already.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I'm 90% convinced that those complaining only play AAA titles.
Play more indies and middle market games and less corporative extravaganzas that rarely deliver.
You are correct. But that doesn’t make us wrong. Those great indies can can still be played on old hardware. Vampire Survivors is definitely in my top 2 games from last year. And then there’s Hades the year before. Another amazing indie, but not pushing the hardware. These consoles just aren’t being used to their true potential yet, which sucks because we are years into generation.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Realistically a lot of people just complain about everything now. We’ve become so spoiled as human beings that we no longer appreciate what we have, and it’s never good enough. I’m just grateful to have a roof over my head, food, water, and electricity. Everything else is a bonus in my mind.

KXVXII9X

The rot has well and truly spread to indies and AA as well though.

If a dev in this sphere makes something that catches fire on Steam then you can bet that nearly every other notable dev at that level will make a clone of it with their own "unique spin" on it.

It's why people are fed up of the new stuff coming to gamepass for the past year or so. It's mostly stuff from smaller studios that feels like stuff that everyone has played numerous times over already.
This. Exactly this. When people say, "Just play indies," I want to scream. I have loved indies and AA and still do sometimes. Games like Sifu, Stray, and HiFi Rush are fantastic. I don't need someone to condescendingly point out indie game's existence. They have been a thing for over a decade. I loved them at first, but now a lot of them are so derivative of older games that were done better with more polish. Indies have the same issue with every dev hopping on trends. I am burnt out on stuff like roguelikes, farming games, Metroidvanias, Soulslike clones, etc.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
• Game dev time longer than ever, less massive hits.

• Creativity at ABSOLUTE ALL TIME LOW

• Not a consistent leap in visuals or quality with almost all games still being produced for last generation as well

These consoles just aren’t being used to their true potential yet, which sucks because we are years into generation.

that's because there is less and less truly new and exciting in games at least for me.

And too many games are slaves to graphics.

wow.look at all these New IPs. i am impressed.
I hope someday you guys can all figure out what mysterious problem is causing these issues. Truly a mystery.

MiguelItUp

Fewer and fewer big games. And the variety with aaa games isn't the best amymore unfortunately.
Yeah, and I think a lot of that has to do with development costs and time. It's a shame. It feels like it's only going to get worse and worse before it gets better. On top of that we hardly see any that are unique. A lot of them just feel safe, piggy backing off of ideas and mechanics that worked before, and continue to. So they can won't have to worry about their game bombing, and the money it makes will be decent.

At least indies and AA games are getting better and better, and are more plentiful. If we didn't have them and ONLY had AAA, it would definitely feel a lot worse.

Last edited:

charles8771

Yeah, and I think a lot of that has to do with development costs and time. It's a shame. It feels like it's only going to get worse and worse before it gets better. On top of that we hardly see any that are unique. A lot of them just feel safe, piggy backing off of ideas and mechanics that worked before, and continue to. So they can won't have to worry about their game bombing, and the money it makes will be decent.

At least indies and AA games are getting better and better, and are more plentiful. If we didn't have them and ONLY had AAA, it would definitely feel a lot worse.
PS4 and PS5 stand for Remasterstation 4 and Remasterstation 5.

Remasters/ports happen in order to fill the very low number of new games coming

After all, folks complain about these new consoles for lacking on games.

0neAnd0nly

I hope someday you guys can all figure out what mysterious problem is causing these issues. Truly a mystery.

I believe I know what you're alluding to, however I am simply just listing the problems that are affecting the industry regardless of obvious cause and effect situations.

I also don't think it is so black and white. Games taking longer, meaning the tech is behind visually, but that's because games are bigger and better isn't the entire problem.

Journalist pressuring publishers to not work employees overtime, an interesting dynamic of a changing job market post covid, etc.

The biggest issue though, IMO, is the complete lack of creativity. We are no longer hiring the best in the industry, and it shows. More of a western issue I suppose, as there is still creativity abroad - but even those markets have met their fair share of issues to handicap them as well.

Tedditalk

you mean graphics & AAA budgets?

Its a lot of factors really but i'd assume you mean those 2

This is half of the mystery right here. The other half is share holders demanding big return on investment. The end result is that current big releases are costing over 200 Million dollars and cannot afford to be anything less than incredibly successful or share holders will not green light future projects. So games are getting much safer to appeal to as many audience members as possible. The costs of these graphics are also bleeding into the AA and even indie studios since people are demanding more detail in games all the time, so why take risks? Not financially viable.

Add to this that few are willing to pay for good writers, and you just end up with games with milquetoast writing, mechanics and features you already seen before, with the only new thing being the pretty world you are doing it in. Sadly I do not see an easy fix.

I am just glad there are still developers out there making risks still. Baldur gate 3 looks like a dream project come to life.

Last edited:
*scratches head*. I remember NeoGaf was full of flame wars back in the PS3/360 era, today is a lot more tame the PS3 inferior port debates. God, you would love to see it when the exclusives start raising hell with all those accolades.

RTX4070

Banned
True that but the infestations of mtx and bullshit and absolutely no innovation in sight. Ki, Physics are still like 20 years before. Only Texture’s got better thats it. No really new ip that tries something new.

No matter what game comes out, you have already played it a 100 times.

GymWolf

You must be out of your mind saying 2023 is the best year gaming ever had. Especially at 36.
I never said that, i said one of the best.

You must be out of your mind to think that this is a less than excellent year for gaming, and the year is not even finished.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Speak for youself. The thing that "justifies" a purchase for a customer is what ever they say it is. If the same games "could have" been released on the previous console and there isnt an appreciable upgrade to validate a $500+ investment especially after being marketed to the contrary they have ever right to express buyers remorse.

And to your second point video games and the relationship between console manufacturers and there customers is completely different than film 0r tv. Not only have film makers not based there advertisments primarily on future tech upgrades they havent indulged in the morally bankrupt habbit of blatant false advertising to the customer base in an attempt to fool them into hype about the future and hopefully trick them into expecations that would lead fhem to consitently upgrade and thus keep these companies afloat only for them to later sellout The resentment from those constantly mislead and taken advantage of is fully justified.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, I just played Bioshock 2 and it's leagues above most games this gen I've played as per my tastes.

Western devs have gone the "more more MOOOOOAAAAR" route and that makes their AAA games overwhelming and bloated to me, that's why I've enjoyed AA gaming way more these days.

Japanese game devs are still the same, they focus on gameplay and art style and keep evolving and innovating and pushing the industry in those fields.

But western games are all about simulation, realism and cinematic feel, and even then they've used their advanced simulations in such a "realistic" way that two games (BOTW and TOTK) running in way less powerful hardware than most western devs put their games on put them on shame.

As an example, I LOVED Doom 2016 but one thing I didn't like from Doom Eternal is that... basement?... WHY? the game didn't need it, it feels like unasked clutter that breaks game pacing.

Games never needed to be more complex, they just need to entertain, be it because they're fun, because they're scary, or whatever, instead of pushing for "more more mooooooar" as they've done.

I haven't suffered as many it seems, most western games look uninteresting to me anyway so that trend only hits me when they poison some japanese games or when I feel like playing a western game but I'm very selective for those.

The complaints and criticisms about any particular generation can stem from a variety of factors, including social, economic, and cultural changes. It's important to note that not everyone complains about a specific generation, as opinions and perspectives can vary widely among individuals. However, here are a few common reasons why some people may express discontent with a particular generation:

1. Cultural Shifts: Each generation experiences unique cultural shifts, and these changes can sometimes lead to generational clashes or misunderstandings. Older generations may view the values, attitudes, and behaviors of younger generations as different or even disruptive to societal norms.
  2. Technological Advancements: Rapid advancements in technology have greatly influenced the way people communicate, work, and interact with the world. Some individuals may feel overwhelmed or disconnected from the digital age, leading to complaints about the younger generation's excessive reliance on technology.
  3. Economic Challenges: Economic conditions can greatly impact a generation's opportunities and financial stability. Some individuals may express frustration or concern over job prospects, income inequality, or rising living costs, which can contribute to negative perceptions of a specific generation.
  4. Political and Social Issues: Generations often have different perspectives on political and social issues. Conflicting viewpoints can lead to tensions and disagreements, with each generation believing their values and priorities are being disregarded or challenged by others.
It's essential to recognize that generalizations about an entire generation may not accurately represent the diverse range of individuals within that group. While complaints or criticisms may arise, it's important to foster understanding, empathy, and open dialogue across generations to promote mutual respect and positive change.

Hudo

True but I still have Armored Core VI and Super Mario RPG to look forward this year, 2023 keeps on giving.
True enough. I forgot that Super Mario RPG is coming this year, for some reason I think of it as a 2024 game as well.
Also: Super Mario Bros. Wonder and Dragon Quest Monsters 3 are 2023 releases as well!

IAmRei

A lot of games these days lack soul. It's difficult to point to just one specific thing as a potential culprit because it's more like an amalgamation of many smaller elements and design philosophies that drive modern game development that simply make a lot of them feel like they were designed by a committee. They lack any bold and risky ideas, creativity, and that joyful energy and sense of discovery. Every game these days needs to appeal to as broad an audience as possible because they cost a lot of money to make and therefore, publishers and developers want to ensure the return on the investment. And it kinda kills any sort of risk-taking as a result. If a game is done by the numbers, then it's gonna play as such too.

That is why Elden Ring felt like such a breath of fresh air, because it felt different from most other triple-A games that come out these days and didn't try to conform to the notion that every game should be for everyone. It had a very specific experience in mind and by sticking to that vision, FromSoft was able to create something unique and fresh. It's why Capcom and many other Japanese developers are held in such a high regard as well, because they either give us what we want by remaking great classics, or take some risks with new IPs that prioritize being a game first.

I don't think it's a coincidence that whenever I pick up a 20 year old game that I've never played before, I'm having tons more fun than with any modern triple-A game released in the past few years.
no kidding, few years ago, i found 2d open world in GBA and shocked lot of newer feats implemented in the game and having a blast to played, even in in emulated form, because of the game is fan translated.

charles8771

5 years to develop Andromeda and has worse facial animations than PS2 games.
Clearly long time development is due for poor management and leadership, a game that took 5 years to develop shouldn't have day one patches.

If you're one of these people, I'd love to know your reasoning.

These two videos sums up the reasoning

This is NBA 2k14 on PS3:

This is NBA 2K14 on PS4:

Until now there has always been a big jump in graphics and performance from gen to gen . This hasn't been the case so far, than you factor in all of BS with full priced games needing multiple patches and a low amount of AAA games releasing. Its no wonder people are complaining about this gen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom