• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy's run from VI to X was INSANE.

cireza

Shame VIII is an atrocious video game on almost every level.
It is actually super fun to play. I'd pick V over the other SNES games, and and VIII over the other PS1 games any day. By far the ones that are the most fun to play. So many things you can do !

For example in VIII I almost never use any G-Force (except Hell Train late game) and spells only if required. The fun in this game is keeping a fast pacing for battles ! Steal spells until you have 100 and never touch them again. Junction them, create monsters. And then, use Mad Rush to kill Malboros baby :messenger_sunglasses:

In V, I don't remember which class it was, but you can get "Equip two weapons" as well as "Attack 8 time". And I remember of a "Dancing Dagger" that would do enormous critics. There is also a Berserk class with some good potential and a ton of possibilities through combining skills from each class.

In recent years, the only FF game that really delivered this kind of "magic" was Lightning Returns. Many, many possibilities. Must play !

Last edited:

Ellery

Exactly what I feel too.

That era of FF games shaped me and they were genuine masterpieces that were released in such a short time and all of them are gigantic 50-150 hour games too.

We will never get to see something like this again. It was pure magic

Reactions: Dis

Dynasty8

Most of their games are merger were bangers. After the merger the quality dropped significantly for almost everything they released.

I think the reason why square enix started having issues was because AAA game development cost went up way too much and therefore they tried to appeal more to the casuals/western audience.

Square enix honestly should start making AA games and forget the high budget games at this point.

Go_Ly_Dow

Most of their games are merger were bangers. After the merger the quality dropped significantly for almost everything they released.
Merger definitely made managing the company a much more difficult beast.

But just so happens timing wise the merger aligned with the period where game development became increasingly more difficult and games starting becoming more complex presentation wise, from about 2005 onwards. Also shift in taste towards open world design began and WRPGs became absolutely huge during the PS3/360 gen with PC developers coming to consoles and bringing these IPs with them.

Pretty much all Japanese developers struggled PS3 era and some only really got their house in order around mid-PS4 time. They were well behind tech wise and weren't used to larger scale high definition development using complex shader based engines. So many scurried around to make in house engines like Crystal Tools that weren't good enough. Universally good 3rd party engines like we have today (UE4/UE5) that had Japanese documentation didn't exist.

Capcom, Konami, Square, Sega, Namco, Japan Studio, Atlus, Platinum Level 5 to name a few that had struggles related to tech and or game design.

I think From Software and Falcom were some of the few that came out strongly from that generation.

Anyway, some food for thought whether or not it was the merger that meant the quality declined or these factors mentioned above, or both!

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
100%

The goat series those days. I remember the hype for all of them at the time. I’m no fan of 10 but I liked it better than everything after. TBH that’s the end of FF for me. I always tried to get into them but they weren’t the same after. FF7 remastered was the only one decent and it still lacked soul. Looked amazing but the NPCS and side quests were horrible. Boss fights were good though.

sigmaZ

I'm gonna bring this one back.

As4v0Iz.jpg
This is the series to a t. But you could use the same breakdown for a lot of great media. The opening and ending of things are arguable to most important parts. Even the FFs that I thought were mediocre like 8 and 9 had fantastic endings.

sigmaZ

The height of 90s Square will never be touched again by another games studio. The creativity of those games and the influence they left on story telling, music, cinematics, engaging gameplay, beautiful art direction and emotional connection to polygons was quite insane in reflection.

FF6
FF7
FF8
FF9
FF10
Xenogears
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross

...to name a few.

The other day I was driving and listening to the classical radio station and they started playing Aeriths theme. After it finished it was amazing to hear the host say, "that was Aeriths Theme from Final Fantasy 7, by composer Nobuo Uematsu".
Xenogears and Chrono Cross were failures in my eyes. Even their amazing soundtrack couldn't mask the cracks from showing at Square. Xenogears would have beat out Chrono Trigger for me had they not been overly ambitious with the story and 3D elements. And the horrendous text speed oh god. If any game would benefit from a proper remaster it would be Xenogears. And Chronos Cross... Just replayed it when the remaster came out and yikes. Probably the most hollow 3D Square RPG I've played.

Susurrus

In V, I don't remember which class it was, but you can get "Equip two weapons" as well as "Attack 8 time". And I remember of a "Dancing Dagger" that would do enormous critics. There is also a Berserk class with some good potential and a ton of possibilities through combining skills from each class.

In recent years, the only FF game that really delivered this kind of "magic" was Lightning Returns. Many, many possibilities. Must play !

Too much work. Just Redx2 with Black Magic set, Ultima x2. Or Redx2 with Summon set, Bahamutx2. One up it, and have others set to Mime and just mimic that shit. Quick work of everything.

Also fun fact: the island where you're just Bartz, and you have a battle you're supposed to lose. You can win! Blue Mage 1000 Needles spam. IIRC, only takes 2 turns. The result is slightly different but....
instead of fainting and getting captured as a result, the monster drops a chest, which you open and releases a gas that knocks Bartz out and he gets captured anyway.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

SNES run was the best. FF4, FF6, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger

FF4 is killed by those random encounters. It's crazy and ruins so much enjoyment. The other 3 are in a class of their own. I still don't understand how Square of the PS1 managed to produce so many titles with resources and funding considerations. The output and quality were almost unmatched.

General,
FF8 even with its flaws and story falling apart is still under appreciated.
Secret of Evermore isn't a bad USA studio effort either on SNES using the Mana systems.

Such a golden era.

VII was so big, it made JRPGs into a AAA bro-game genre, that's how big it was. When I see people selling their PS2s and games on Facebook Marketplace, the games they have are usually a few racing games, a Madden or two, a few shooters, and FFX. Making XI an MMO was maybe not the best choice, and by XII it was somewhat niche again. I know this is anecdotal, but it looks to me like X is the one where most people dropped the series.

Go_Ly_Dow

VII was so big, it made JRPGs into a AAA bro-game genre, that's how big it was. When I see people selling their PS2s and games on Facebook Marketplace, the games they have are usually a few racing games, a Madden or two, a few shooters, and FFX. Making XI an MMO was maybe not the best choice, and by XII it was somewhat niche again. I know this is anecdotal, but it looks to me like X is the one where most people dropped the series.
Incorrect I think. FFX is regarded as popular as VII now. Based of the latest sales data.

FFX series 20.8mil shipped as of the last update - Sept 2021.

FFVII original 14.1mil sold as of the last update - 31 Jan 2023.

Obviously difficult to directly compare popularity, given the X series sales includes X-2. However VII original has also been out for longer. I know plenty of people who regard X as one of the greatest games ever made.

No ones really dropped the series, in fact the opposite can be argued that the series has retained a large amount of its audience, which is unusual for a 35 year old franchise. FFXII and FFXIII sold well I don't think we have numbers of FFXII including the Zodiac age. FFXIV one of the most popular MMOs ever. FFXV gradually sold over 10mil copies. FFVIIR likely at 7-8mil sold now despite being free on PSN 12 months after release and not being on Xbox. The price of VIIR has remained very high too.

The problem with FF popularity is that it hasn't grown, which is a concern as development costs increase so you get to a point where 5-6mil units doesn't cut it. XVI is another attempt at breaking this stagnation, which is ceilings of 7-10mil copies sold and breaking into the mainstream, which is now around 15mil copies or so.

Last edited:

Raven117

XIV is incredible. I know people don't give it it's fair due because it is an MMO but its the best FF story by a mile.
It’s absolutely in the S-tier of ff.
to be fair letterkenny problems GIF

In that time, they also released a bunch of DLC for XV, more content for XIV, and VII Remake Part 1.

XV also went through an insane amount of changes from its initial vision hence why it took so absurdly long to come out. As far as I know, none of the games from VI to X suffered these sort of issues behind the scenes, at least not to such an extent.
I see you are a man of culture.

CashPrizes

I don't like the framing. IV is amazing, and XII is better then VIII and arguably IX. Tactics is the best besides VI and maybe X. The series is so all over the place (with none of the mainline being really awful except XIII and XV) that it is hard to generalize in runs.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Square's ps1 output was legendary.

FF7-9, FF Tactics, Xenogears (my GOAT), Parasite Eve 1-2, Vagrant Story, Brave Fencer Musashi...

No idea how they pulled it off. So many quality games back to back.
Einhander, Saga Frontier 1 and 2, Threads of Fate, Legend of Mana.....

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I mean in NA alone, within 3 years you had:

Final Fantasy VIIPlayStationJanuary 31, 1997SquareYesYesYesYes[71]
Bushido BladePlayStationMarch 14, 1997Bergsala LightweightYesYesYes[73]
Final Fantasy TacticsPlayStationJune 20, 1997SquareYesYes[79]
SaGa FrontierPlayStationJuly 11, 1997SquareYesYes[80]
EinhänderPlayStationNovember 20, 1997SquareYesYes[67][83]
XenogearsPlayStationFebruary 11, 1998SquareYesYes[87]
Bushido Blade 2PlayStationFebruary 28, 1998Bergsala LightweightYesYes[88]
Final Fantasy VPlayStationMarch 13, 1998ToseYesYesYesYes[67][89]
Parasite EvePlayStationMarch 29, 1998SquareYesYes[67][91]
Final Fantasy VIIMicrosoft WindowsJune 24, 1998SquareYesYesYes[94]
Brave Fencer MusashiPlayStationJuly 26, 1998SquareYesYes[95]
EhrgeizPlayStationDecember 17, 1998DreamFactoryYesYesYes[97]
Chocobo's Dungeon 2PlayStationDecember 23, 1998SquareYesYes[98]
Final Fantasy VIIIPlayStationFebruary 11, 1999SquareYesYesYesYes[100]
Final Fantasy VIPlayStationMarch 11, 1999ToseYesYesYesYes[103]
Chocobo RacingPlayStationMarch 18, 1999SquareYesYesYes[104][105][106]
SaGa Frontier 2PlayStationApril 1, 1999SquareYesYesYesYes[107]
Legend of ManaPlayStationJuly 15, 1999SquareYesYes[111]
Front Mission 3PlayStationSeptember 2, 1999SquareYesYesYesYes[113]
Final Fantasy AnthologyPlayStationSeptember 30, 1999SquareYesYes[114][115]
Threads of FatePlayStationOctober 14, 1999SquareYesYes[116]
Chrono CrossPlayStationNovember 18, 1999SquareYesYes[118]
Parasite Eve IIPlayStationDecember 16, 1999SquareYesYesYes[119]
Final Fantasy VIIIMicrosoft WindowsJanuary 25, 2000SquareYesYesYes[122][123]
Vagrant StoryPlayStationFebruary 10, 2000SquareYesYesYesYes[124]

Kazdane

I'm on the "FFX has the best story by far" camp, although VII was the first FF I played back in 98 (iirc). Since then, I've played all the mainline games and their sequels (X-2, XIII-2 and LR) except XI Online, and I share the sentiment that XIII gets way too much hate while I'll also add XII gets way too much praise. I just don't see the appeal of the gambit system and I didn't find the story to be particularly memorable. If you configure it properly, in FFXII you only need to bring Vaan from one battle to the next and you can pretend you're watching an interactive movie; which pretty much goes against the whole notion of having a great battle system (it's so great it plays itself!). I do feel that XIII's battle system (which I think is the best of the ATB battle systems) is an evolution of the gambit system, so at least that's something positive that XII brought on. XIII had a great story and world that, unfortunately, were too hidden in the database, so people that didn't feel like reading a book inside the game didn't get the whole picture (and I can't fault them for that, hiding so much info in there was an odd choice).

I personally liked XV, but I do agree that its storytelling is a mess (similar to what had happened with XIII). Having played (and currently playing) XIV, I'm super curious to see what they've been working on with XVI. Of the VI to X era, anyone that has even a mild interest in some of the great JRPGs of all time should give them a go, they're great.

Nydius

If I’m being completely honest, while I’ve played every FF game that’s released, I haven’t really had fun with them since Sakaguchi and Uematsu departed from the franchise.

For me, FF4-X will always be the golden era of Final Fantasy.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Xenogears and Chrono Cross were failures in my eyes. Even their amazing soundtrack couldn't mask the cracks from showing at Square. Xenogears would have beat out Chrono Trigger for me had they not been overly ambitious with the story and 3D elements. And the horrendous text speed oh god. If any game would benefit from a proper remaster it would be Xenogears. And Chronos Cross... Just replayed it when the remaster came out and yikes. Probably the most hollow 3D Square RPG I've played.
giphy.gif

j/k ,but yeah dat text speed. Fortunately, there's a speed up mod out there.

Myths

Excluding X then yeah. I would say from IV to IX was major. Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story were great too. Desperately pushing the former to get a remake.

Last edited:
Only played half of VI like 7 years ago on a phone so I can't judge.

VII was great even by modern standards and fully deserves the praise it got.

VIII was a complete slog with very weird design choices.

IX became a slog halfway through the game and hasn't aged as well as VII.

X is timelessly great.

I think the series peaked in the PS2 era though.
I agree on every point.

BryceNobody

Ix is the best
Disc 2 & 3 drag on for what feels like relatively little plot progression, and about half of the cast was pretty forgettable compared to other entries.

Even X (which I hate from a story standpoint) had a more memorable crew than IX. Outside of Vivi and Steiner, I remember like a rat(?) joining my party or… something.

Did not leave much of an impression.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I just wish FF11 was not so damned old school. It was a bitch to get through if you were a solo player. It was a grindfest.

I think they have changed it now.

Ozzie666

I just wish FF11 was not so damned old school. It was a bitch to get through if you were a solo player. It was a grindfest.

I think they have changed it now.

When MMO's like Everquest had little respect for the players real life or time commitments. Definitely not easy mode and the XP/Chain parties were fun.

A.Romero

Square was a great company back then. Everything went to shit when they made that FF movie and got trashed financially. They entered hunger mode probably.

They are still good but not legendary like they were...

11 was, at the time, amazing.
12 was great.
13 introduced the stagger system so all its positives are rendered void, sequels were awful.
14 is my favourite entry in the series, hands down.
15 didn’t look good so never played it
16 follows 13 and 7R with a stagger centred battle system, so hard pass to play, maybe watch at 2X if a non American YouTuber plays it, who isn’t insufferable.

Aside from 14 and Theatrythmn, Final Fantas has been dead to this once die hard fan from 13 onwards.

Top Bottom