• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does magic = science in fiction annoy people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
(This thread focuses on the MCU, but the question applies to any other media that uses this concept.)

ycKf3wk.png
MSuN6Rl.png
lnMzhPa.png

What's exactly the problem with fiction following the notion that mystical powers are just things we're currently unable to explain scientifically?

Ever since the first Thor movie I've seen people constantly complaining (on GAF and elsewhere) that this version of the Asgardians aren't properly "magical", but instead use an advanced form of technology. The MCU also leans more heavily on the fact that they're powerful aliens instead of "actual gods".

However, the idea that magic is just phenomena that we still can't explain is pretty ok to me, as is the idea that gods are just advanced alien beings. I mean, in real life there was a time when rain and lightning were considered magic thrown by people who lived in the sky. Granted, I always liked seeing scientists trying to figure magic out in stories, and mixing magic with technology is cool as hell to me since I grew up playing games like FFVI and VII.

It also sounds like the magic in the Doctor Strange movie may still operate under this. We just got news that they're filming at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN (might not mean anything though). But there's this Feige quote from 2014 too:

I sat down with Marvel honcho Kevin Feige at the junket for Captain America: The Winter Soldier and asked him how Marvel intended to move into the realms of magic and the unknown.

Are you watching the Cosmos series? That’s magic, [the quantum physics]. It’s unbelievable. If somebody knew how to tap into that stuff, what’s the difference between that and magic?

You don’t get into it in Harry Potter, but if a scientist went to Hogwarts he’d find out how some of that stuff is happening! We’re not going to spend a lot of time on that, but there will be some of that. And particularly for a character like Strange, who goes from a man of science to a man of faith and who traverses both worlds. And sometimes there won’t be an answer! Sometimes he’ll want an answer - “How is this happening?!” - and nothing.

So it's not even like there isn't "magic" per se in the MCU, it's just that the lines are blurred.

Other choice quotes:

Your ancestors called it magic and you call it science. Well, I come from a place where they're one and the same thing.
-Thor in Thor 1

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
-Arthur C. Clarke (Clarke's third law)

I was twelve [in 1940] when I read my first sf magazine…it was called Stirring Science Stories and ran, I think, four issues….I came across the magazine quite by accident; I was actually looking for Popular Science. I was most amazed. Stories about science? At once I recognized the magic which I had found, in earlier times, in the Oz books – this magic now coupled not with magic wands but with science…In any case my view became magic equals science… and science (of the future) equals magic.
-Philip K. Dick, Self Portrait (1968)

This is a page from Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #7, which takes place in the main Marvel Universe from the comics:

4IyTmdH.jpg

What's exactly the problem with fiction following the notion that mystical powers are just things we're currently unable to explain scientifically?
If every feat of "magic" is actually the employment of advanced technology, that implies that anyone can use magic with the proper tools and training. I personally find that less exotic and exciting.

I have no problem the concept of magic being measurable by science, though. I just prefer that they'd always be out of reach, even if measurable.

Gods actually aliens with more advanced technology than us = unexciting.
Gods actually beings from a higher plane of dimensional existence [insert science fiction mumbo-jumbo] = exotic.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
If every feat of "magic" is actually the employment of advanced technology, that implies that anyone can use magic with the proper tools and training. I personally find that less exotic and exciting.

I have no problem the concept of magic being measurable by science, though. I just prefer that they'd always be out of reach, even if measurable.

Gods actually aliens with more advanced technology than us = unexciting.
Gods actually beings from a higher plane of dimensional existence [insert science fiction mumbo-jumbo] = exotic.
Good point, depending on how far the merging goes it does risk getting less exotic, and the way they go about it in the MCU is indeed quite mundane most of the time. I agree that a lot of it is down to how out of reach it is and what type of techno babble is employed in case it's going to be connected to science.

It does seem that the Doctor Strange film will take things to a more outlandish place though, really curious about that one. Here's hoping we get more wackiness in the mix of technology and magic like in the comics (I just love posting these panels):

geZFWLp.jpg

0AhQqrg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom