• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't more people use Prepaid Wireless in America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I am looking at Virgin Mobile and I cannot for the life of me tell why more people don't use this over contract plans with other providers?

You can get a Samsung Intercept for $199. And then for $25 per month, you get unlimited Texting and Mobile Web and 300 anytime minutes.

I am debating right now on whether I should just sell mine and my wife's smartphones and get two of these (or the Blackberry Curve or the LG Optimus V) and pay one third of what we are paying right now! We are already on the damn Sprint network, so that wouldn't change. I am aware these aren't Droid X2's or Thunderbolts, but really, who gives a crap when you can get them for so cheap and upgrade whenever the hell you want!

Look at these rates!
planchart.png

Magnus

Doesn't having the average smartphone (esp. iPhones and Blackberries) mandate 2-3 year contracts?

Yeah. People like their smartphones.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The Samsung Intercept is a shitty ass phone. Slow, buggy and crashes especially when trying to make or receive a call. I upgraded to the iPhone and haven't looked back.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How are the phone's capabilities on Virgin compared to the main carriers?

How is the coverage?

I got sick of AT&T and Verizon. Cancelled my Verizon contract, gladly paid the termination fee of $180 in order to abort the remaining period of service (5x$75) and am on Net10 since I couldn't find a Virgin Mobile phone that fit my needs.

$25 a month for 750 minutes that can be used any way I please. Since I don't talk much, it works out well. Only issue is my ghetto phone doesn't have an IRC client I can use, but eh - it beats paying the $50 extra just to have an IRC client anywhere.

Big middle finger to AT&T and Verizon. At least when I'm paying $25 a month I'm not asking "WHY IS MY CALL QUALITY SO SHIT?!" :D

Trojita said:

How is the coverage?

Virgin has a couple Android phones, one of them has received strong ratings across the board.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380082,00.asp

Coverage you can look up on their website for yourself.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Magnus said:
Doesn't having the average smartphone (esp. iPhones and Blackberries) mandate 2-3 year contracts?

They have a Blackberry Curve and two Android phones! I know these aren't top shelf phones, but for 25 USD, that is just ludicrous! People are paying 120 US DOLLARS to have iPhones (after tax) or the latest Android phones. That is some serious dough. I might just have to start giving out my Google Voice number and use that and go prepaid! I could probably get enough out of my two HTC Hero's lying around to pay for a more decent (but still crappy, I get it) Virgin Mobile phone.

Trojita said:

How is the coverage?

Virgin and Boost use the Sprint network. Thats why they still offer unlimited, Sprint is the only one that does. So wherever sprint works, they work.

One thing Im not sure about is roaming. Since sprint has a smaller network, they offer free roaming on the verizon network where applicable. Not sure if virgin and boost do that as well.

I'm not certain, but isn't the coverage pretty low outside of the major wireless carriers? Cell signal and 3G-wise? I'd pay less, but I would think I'd get less as well.
Edit: pretty well beaten

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
JCX said:
Social stigma, not wanting to be bothered with cards.

Who still uses the cards? Virgin Mobile works just like any other monthly billed service; no top-ups, no points, credits, etc. It's seamless.

The reason they aren't more popular is because the phone selections are always a couple generations behind the times. I don't personally care, although the slow, clunky internet on mine makes me a bit envious of my friends and their iphones.

That 25 dollar virgin mobile plan is exactly what i use. Been having problems lately but i thiiiink it's because i need a new phone, as this one has been treated rather poorly.

Pein

Banned
I think I might switch to virgin or metro pcs, my att bill is killer and my mom has the samsung indulge on metro and its a neat little phone.

Cosmic Bus said:
The reason they aren't more popular is because the phone selections are always a couple generations behind the times. I don't personally care, although the slow, clunky internet on mine makes me a bit envious of my friends and their iphones.

Meh, on Verizon the Internet access on my Droid2 was slow and clunky pretty much anywhere I went. :\

In my experience with iPhone and Droid / Droid2 - IRC was the only consistently reliable application for the anemic data speeds through those knuckleheads.

Oh and Google Maps worked well enough, but I can get a GPS and not get reamed with a monthly contract. :D

bangai-o

Banned
my question has always been how the fuck are people willing to pay 70 to 90 dollars a month for a contract phone. Ridiculous.

JCX

Cosmic Bus said:
Who still uses the cards? Virgin Mobile works just like any other monthly billed service; no top-ups, no points, credits, etc. It's seamless.

A lot of the people who buy those phones from the store I work at buy cards, even though we also carry virgin mobile.

My brother had the intercept on Sprint. He said it was awful until 2.2, when it actually began functioning properly.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
GF had this until I recently got her an Android phone on my AT&T family plan. It was good for what it was, but the phone selection isn't the greatest. If you had a non smart phone though I'd easily go this route not counting what kind of network coverage you need.

Best Buy + Amazon always seem to have cheap phone sales though so your not really getting a better deal on a phone just the service. My GF had the cheapest phone she could get on Virgin which was the Kyocera Loft, and it was okay for calls and texting, but the web was shitty. I got her an Inspire 4g off of Amazon for a penny though which was a BIG upgrade phone wise.

It also helps that people get on family plans on carriers verses everyone paying for say Virgin. Plus we get more mins since Virgin doesn't have free nights/weekends/mobile2mobile.

I've used prepaid carriers since I got my first cell phone, I have no complaints thus far except when it comes to switching carriers/numbers, but I think that's going to be a headache with any company. Let the masses buy expensive plans and subsidize the infrastructure while cheapasses like me reap the reward.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Yeah, I think the most minutes I have ever talked in a month is like 200, and that is when I was out of town for two weeks and I called my wife every night.

I am seriously thinking of doing this. Cutting bills down to spend money wiser sounds smart to me. I have a family plan right now and am helping my mom out and my bill ends up being like 100 bucks a month. Screw that!

DiscoJer

I suspect a lot of people want unlimited talking. Practically every woman and probably half the men are glued to the phone when I go shopping.

I use this myself. Finally upgraded to a phone that can use ringtones! Woohoo.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
hmm, looks like Virgin has had the Samsung Intercept for about a year, looks like I will wait til they get something new out and then I am JUMPING SHIP! It's screen rez is super low and the LG Optimus V has a crap processor speed. The next Android they get is probably going to be in the 800MHZ - 1GHz range with 512 Meg RAM. As long as the screen resolution is 320x480 or better, I am in!

Husker86

Virgin Mobile won't roam, so if no native Sprint coverage, no coverage period.

I like current gen smartphones, but that doesn't mean some part of my brain never considered prepaid. I'd never switch though.

mr stroke

I would love to use Virgin Mobile. The price is right but poor phone selection and average coverage make it a pass

noquarter

I've been really considering switching to pre-paid, contract-less phone plans. Have had AT&T for about 8 years now and about sick of their shit (poor coverage, about three times a year I've had no coverage cause of maintenance or some other shit, charges showing up and having to call and ask why and them telling me some bullshit)

Got my wife a phone from the company out here in Hawaii, $45 a month for unlimited everything (no real web, but she doesn't use it anyways), and the phone was $60. Just after three months will have paid for the phone just from the difference in bills, without overages, and the rest of the year will just be extra money. Plus, if she does want to upgrade, the phone will still cost less than my iPhone and won't have a contract.

TomServo

Don't forget that a lot of people have family plans.

Most of my friends are on plans with other members of their family. Even for those of us on our own, it's not as expensive as it's being made out to be. I pay $70 / mo for my AT&T iPhone.

NoRéN

Don't know, OP. But I could not be happier with prepaid. I couldn't care less about a smartphone or what people think. Having a monthly cell bill of no more than $15 per month is great.

JGS

Banned
Magnus said:

This is the answer.
If I could link up my iPhone I'd be all over it.

Got a BlackBerry Curve on BoostMobile. 50 bucks unlimited is the sweet spot. No more contract phones for me. It goes online and makes phone calls, that's good enough for me.

tino

Banned
There is no retail presence for prepaid. You go to your local store the only option you see are the big four carriers.

Plus, ATT and Verizon gives out very deep corporate discounts. If you work for a decent size company, the chance is you can get 20-25% discount. That is the true price of post paid, not the price you see on their websites.

And you think VM is cheap? I use Page Plus, it is even cheaper. 4 cents a minute and it costs me 5-7 bucks a month. And there are way less people use it than Virgin. They don't do advertisement.

Angry Fork

NoRéN said:
Don't know, OP. But I could not be happier with prepaid. I couldn't care less about a smartphone or what people think. Having a monthly cell bill of no more than $15 per month is great.
Same here. I don't have many friends though so maybe that's the kicker. Once I start going to school I may have an incentive to get a plan, but right now I never use my phone for talking and only text here and there.

JoseJX

I've got an Intercept from Virgin mobile, it's really awesome for the price. Definitely root the phone once it's updated to 2.2, it improves the speed and battery life tremendously.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm actually moving to a prepaid phone next month. 85$ a month for my phone is entirely absurd, and I've been using a shitty smartphone for 3 years. I could stand to have a new, current shitty smartphone. It'd still be a step up and I'd save myself fifty bucks a month.

Oyashiro

I had Virgin until I was offered to be added to my best friend's plan an get an iPhone 4. Virgin was great though.

Mistake

I just use straight talk from walmart. They're just pre-payed cards. $35 I have 1000 minutes and texts, for $45 everything is unlimited no matter where I am. I can call anywhere in the U.S. and Canada, it's been pretty good so far.

I care more about the phone then the plan.

The price is inconsequential.
I use my phone all the time, and cannot deal with a shitty phone.

I'd love to go to these providers, but can't get jesusphones that way. And yes, I do use a smartphone to its full capabilities.

Have to deal with getting fucked in the ass, but welcome to the U.S. cellular market.

The phone selection is poor in comparison (iPhone, BB Torch, top of the line Android models) and there are often service issues like text message delays.

If you could deal with not having a top of the line phone then go for it. I like my iPhone too much personally, but it's no doubt smarter to save something like 70$ a month with Virgin Mobile.

I use a prepaid t-mobile plan, mostly because I don't need web capabilities and I barely talk on the phone. I end up paying ~$20/mo. I sometimes bring my iPod Touch around if I know I'm going somewhere with Wi-Fi.

I pay $65 bucks a month for my Verizon contract cause I get a discount from my job. It's worth it to be able to have a high end phone that I can pretty much do anything I want from anywhere I want. I can't have a low to medium end smartphone like a Blackberry. It's not for me. I'll gladly pay more to be able to handle a true top of the line smartphone for my everyday needs. And this is coming from someone a year ago who thought smartphones were dumb.

flyover

CajoleJuice said:
I use a prepaid t-mobile plan, mostly because I don't need web capabilities and I barely talk on the phone. I end up paying ~$20/mo. I sometimes bring my iPod Touch around if I know I'm going somewhere with Wi-Fi.
Same here, only with Virgin Mobile. Crappy $10 phone and an iPod Touch for me. Just about everywhere I go has Wi-Fi, and if not, I can use my phone for simple texting/browsing tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom