• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't more people use Prepaid Wireless in America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amzin

Anyone familiar with the T-Mobile prepaid deals? I see a $30/month for 100 minutes but unlimited text/data which would basically be perfect for me. I just can't figure out how you even get that plan, much less what it's compatible with. When I go to browse phones there's some nice Androids in the list (at full price but you'd save in the long run over contract anyway so...) but there's nowhere to actually buy the $30/month or whatever card/plan/don'tevenknowwhatitis.

Link here for reference.

Edit: Jeez. Spent too much time futzing about T-mobiles website I guess. So it looks like I can't even do that plan anymore? Minimum of $50 to have 500mb of data is pretty terrible, $60 for 2.5gb is basically contract price if you have someone to split a family plan with anyway. Sadface.

border

those are the new Classic plans, which will only be offered by 3rd party vendors, like Best Buy.

the Value plans and Monthly 4G (Prepaid) options are going to be the only options offered to new customers in T-Mobile stores. no word yet on how grandfathering will be handled.

these are the new Monthly 4G (Prepaid) plans:

Sweet god, I hope you are either joking or have seriously misunderstood things.

So I could theoretically go from paying $30/month for 100 minutes/5GB 4G cap to paying $50/month for unlimited minutes/500MB cap?

The whole damned reason I switched from AT&T GoPhone to T-Mobile was for the low minutes and unlimited data plan. Yeah, I'm stuck at 2G speeds since I have an iPhone, but their 3G network was supposed to be iPhone compatible by the end of March.

Now they might kill the plan I'm on before I'm even capable of receiving a 3G signal. Wonderful. If I don't get grandfathered in on my old plan I will switch back to AT&T prepaid immediately.

border

Anyone familiar with the T-Mobile prepaid deals? I see a $30/month for 100 minutes but unlimited text/data which would basically be perfect for me. I just can't figure out how you even get that plan, much less what it's compatible with. When I go to browse phones there's some nice Androids in the list (at full price but you'd save in the long run over contract anyway so...) but there's nowhere to actually buy the $30/month or whatever card/plan/don'tevenknowwhatitis.

I still see the $30 plan as available on this web page. When I switched over from AT&T, I ordered a micro-sim from T-Mobile, received it in the mail, and selected the $30 Unlimited Data plan during the activation/porting process, though I can't say if that is still an option, or how long it will continue to be an option.

If you're trying to order a phone and select their $30 prepaid plan at the same time, I think it's impossible. Get the sim, activate it, and put it into a phone you've purchased elsewhere.

Link here for reference.

Edit: Jeez. Spent too much time futzing about T-mobiles website I guess. So it looks like I can't even do that plan anymore? Minimum of $50 to have 500mb of data is pretty terrible, $60 for 2.5gb is basically contract price if you have someone to split a family plan with anyway. Sadface.

it's prepaid, you would pick that plan when activating.

(assuming it's still there when you get the package, haha!)

Sweet god, I hope you are either joking or have seriously misunderstood things.

So I could theoretically go from paying $30/month for 100 minutes/5GB 4G cap to paying $50/month for unlimited minutes/500MB cap?

The whole damned reason I switched from AT&T GoPhone to T-Mobile was for the low minutes and unlimited data plan. Yeah, I'm stuck at 2G speeds since I have an iPhone, but their 3G network was supposed to be iPhone compatible by the end of March.

Now they might kill the plan I'm on before I'm even capable of receiving a 3G signal. Wonderful. If I don't get grandfathered in on my old plan I will switch back to AT&T prepaid immediately.

well, we don't know if they will cancel grandfathered prepaid options yet.

Amzin

Oh I see, you have to actually have the phone and activate it before you can select a plan. Well, with that new shitty thing they're rolling out, it doesn't seem worth it to throw money at a big phone for the $30 plan right now since it looks like they're losing it.

Edit: Yea for some reason I was thinking it was like a card or code like tracfone, that's why I was confused.

border

Oh I see, you have to actually have the phone and activate it before you can select a plan. Well, with that new shitty thing they're rolling out, it doesn't seem worth it to throw money at a big phone for the $30 plan right now since it looks like they're losing it.

Nobody seems to know what will happen to their $30 plan. Your best bet is to sign on now and hope they let you keep the plan later.

Just go on eBay and buy an unlocked GSM phone, or get an iPhone from the local Gamestop and unlock it.

Edit: Yea for some reason I was thinking it was like a card or code like tracfone, that's why I was confused.

they offer refill cards but they are cash value based.

Nobody seems to know what will happen to their $30 plan. Your best bet is to sign on now and hope they let you keep the plan later.

Just go on eBay and buy an unlocked GSM phone, or get an iPhone from the local Gamestop and unlock it.
this. if you order a phone or SIM now, you should have it by monday for sure and if not, it may still be available anyway, and if not, you can still call and complain about the plan not being there when you bought the device/SIM with the intent to use with the plan.

Amzin

Yea that might be a good investment actually. It'd still beat having 2 phones like I do now (old Incredible for when I have wifi, tracfone for otherwise~).

Edit: Man the Nexus 4 is sexy >.> they have free overnight shipping right now so I'd for sure get at least one month of the $30 plan, but feel like it's a hell of a risk to pay $500 for the phone I want up front :p Will have to see if I can get a cheap-ass GSM phone quick.

KingFire

Banned
I use a prepaid t-mobile plan, mostly because I don't need web capabilities and I barely talk on the phone. I end up paying ~$20/mo. I sometimes bring my iPod Touch around if I know I'm going somewhere with Wi-Fi.

I have an unlocked iphone and use it with t-mobile $15 plan.

so is tmo going to let value plan people out of their current contract?

yep, according to the documents the Value plan will just flip to being no contract and people on the Classic plan will be coaxed by employees to 'Bridge to Value' by paying out a specific rate based on contract months left or if 6 months or less are left, the conversion is free and there's a $20 reduction in monthly fees.

yep, according to the documents the Value plan will just flip to being no contract and people on the Classic plan will be coaxed by employees to 'Bridge to Value' by paying out a specific rate based on contract months left or if 6 months or less are left, the conversion is free and there's a $20 reduction in monthly fees.
That's just what I encountered. I called randomly today with new SIM in hand ready to switch to prepaid then they dropped that on me. I was like... Welp, makes sense especially since I was right at 6mo left.

Unlimited voice, text and 2.5GB 4G data with Mobile Hotspot for $30 and no new contract. Plus my school discount will still apply apparently so it should stay at about $30 after all taxes.

tino

Banned
So TMo prepaid stop giving out value discount to online wholesellers. But I am able to find cheaper refill option on ebay. Just paid 40 for $50 refill credit.

Husker86

Man this sucks. Been on Straight Talk for 2 months, trying to switch to Net 10 since they at least clearly define how much data you can use and...their website just redirects to a login page when I try to port my number. Customer service has been slow and today is the last day of my Straight Talk 30-days which I don't want to extend since I have 30 days of Net10 ready.

I was throttled for using 1.2GB in a month on Straight Talk, the last day I used about 120MB. Been throttled this whole month at 300kbps. This is all with AT&T SIM of course; T-Mobile isn't available in Omaha.

Shit like this is gonna drive me back to Verizon, which I really don't want to do.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
hey i need some help here because this doesnt make sense. t-mobile still has $30 a month for unlimited data and 4g up to 5gigs, but their $50 and $60 dollar plans offer less 4g data? the talk minutes make up that much a difference? im not trying to get screwed here

also, do you think i should get the nexus for that plan or wait for some new badass line of phones(im completely out of the loop on smartphones and dont want to do a ton of research)

Husker86

Yeah, it's the talk time.

Nexus 4 is still a great phone. Just based on the price I'm probably gonna be Nexus hopping as they come out.

Got my Net10 working. 30 day cards on eBay are only $38!

border

hey i need some help here because this doesnt make sense. t-mobile still has $30 a month for unlimited data and 4g up to 5gigs, but their $50 and $60 dollar plans offer less 4g data? the talk minutes make up that much a difference? im not trying to get screwed here

If you go over 100 minutes, they charge you like 10 cents per additional minute. Which is a pretty outrageous rate, but even if you use an additional 200 minutes, you still only end up spending $50/month.

Got throttled at 0.90 GB on Net10 AT&T. That's a new low. Between that and the the new 1.5 GB hard cap, I'm done.

I'm headed back to Solavei. Even with T-Mobile's garbage coverage in rural areas, I'll gladly go back to the 4GB soft cap.

And I'm porting my number to Google Voice and using it for everything from now on. It's a real pain in the ass to port my number every time I switch MVNOs.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
My Galaxy SII on Virgin updated to Jelly Bean yesterday!

Woot woot!

Only annoyance: the notification icons are all GREY now. Before, emails and texts were two different colors, now you can't tell them apart. Stupid design decision. Who the hell thought that it was a good idea?

bangai-o

Banned
samsungentro-gallery-angle-5.jpg

Virgin Mobile has a new cheapo flip phone. looks slick.

Wads

Banned

Unfortunately, I am on value and I am still under contract according to this:

http://bestbuymobile.com/upgradechecker/

They had me at 2014 which was wrong, and I did the contract review thing and they put me back at October 2013 which is right. Still under contract though :( I sent contract review another e-mail basically asking why I still have a contract if they are "uncarrier".

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
For some reason, I have 4G at my house now! Thought Sprint was done building out WiMax...

It is at least 3x faster than my 3G. Averaging 2.t Mb now! Funny thing is, I go up or down the street and there is no coverage...

kamspy

Got the GS2 from virgin mobile a few weeks ago and it's great. If killed any inclination a may have had to go back to a major carrier.

Just got an upgrade to jelly bean a couple days ago too. $55 a month is unbeatable for me.

Lkr

ok here is my story

i live in tallahassee right now. sprint coverage ranges from decent to downright unusable. which is a problem. i am under contract on a 5-line family plan. three of the lines on the family plan are not under contract however. does anyone know if sprint will allow me to do the following:
take iPhone and associate it with different phone number on account
associate my phone number with a phone that is out of contract
port out my number
switch the other phone back to the other number

would this be a plausible loophole to get out of my contract? i'd really like to take my iPhone to TMo or Straight Talk and get usable data speeds instead of 90kb/s when I am lucky

FroJay

Banned
Got the GS2 from virgin mobile a few weeks ago and it's great. If killed any inclination a may have had to go back to a major carrier.

Just got an upgrade to jelly bean a couple days ago too. $55 a month is unbeatable for me.

Enjoy, picked up the GS2 a few months ago on Virgin and have really enjoyed it and the pricing of course. Not sure if I like Jellybean more than ICS though, some of the changes are fine, but overall I think I preferred ICS.

Verizon has bumped is going to bump the data allowance on their prepaid plans!

UPDATE - Wednesday, May 15: Verizon Wireless is increasing the data allowance included in prepaid smartphone plans. Current prepaid customers will now receive unlimited talk, unlimited text and 2 GB of data for $60 a month, or for $70 a month, prepaid customers will receive 4 GB of data in addition to unlimited talk and text. The increased data allowance is available to current customers now, and will be available to new customers on June 6.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2013/02/new-prepaid-smartphone-plans.html

yes, you are still limited to their 3G network, no 4G LTE.

TUROK

Enjoy, picked up the GS2 a few months ago on Virgin and have really enjoyed it and the pricing of course. Not sure if I like Jellybean more than ICS though, some of the changes are fine, but overall I think I preferred ICS.
How come? I have the Evo V, and I really wish I could upgrade to Jellybean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom