• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't we just nuke ISIS, ISIL, whatever they're called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

acETeGd.png
Hehehe, perfect

wsippel

Banned
Not trolling, just trying to create a discussion. I realize our US military have the precision to strike ISIS where they are, but I'm just saying...launch all the missiles and get it over with. While there are still going to be isolated targets all over the world on their mission to get their 72 virgins, at least wipe the floor of them in the mean time.

Also, on the discussion of nukes...what would be wrong with an area of the middle east having a Chernobyl area? Especially if it's an area wide-spread with ISIS. I'm not saying ruin the farming lands of the innocent, but if push comes to shove and there's no other option...why not? What would be the effects outside of that area to the rest of the surroundings?

Also, on the US military documentaries, there's a scene where our guys are in a humvee doing a supply run from point A to B and they know half way through the run they come across people who are sketchy and they can't fire on them until they start the shooting...I've always thought the "do not fire until fired upon" defense is weak.
You don't really know how nuclear incidents work, do you? Chernobyl was decades ago, yet we still have contaminated boars in Germany, thousands of kilometers away. You can not control or contain radiation.

The US already contaminated large areas of the Middle East by using tons and tons of depleted uranium in the last few wars, but that would be a complete joke compared to using an actual nuclear weapon. Nuclear weapons exist to never be used, anywhere, by anyone.

Hahahhahahah

I can't seriously believe OP is for real.

And I'm getting the impression that he was 100 procent genuine with his proposition thinking it was somehow 'smart'.

Jesus....

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Normally I stay far away from armchair-general threads on GAF as they're full of idiots, but this one deserves praise for taking it that one step further.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'm tempted to ask what you said before you edited it. Regardless I can assume you might need to lay off the Fox News.

That was the original post. He just wants the thread deleted. edit: oh, that was the first post. He made another DELETE post later.

Which is understandable, because now this is going to be available for everyone to see if they look at the OP's created threads.

Amir0x

Banned
so, let's see, how to salvage this topic

IF America were to go insane and, say, nuke Syria or Iraq, how would the world react?

Would the muslim countries all unite against us? Would other nuclear powers feel compelled to respond against us? Would they condemn us but do nothing?

Those have never been used in combat. Only tested.

Bunker busters in use now are regular bombs.

Oh, I see. I thought they used them in the Afghan caves against the Taliban/Al Queda

Well, for one thing there a few cities in that area. Like Deir ez-Zur. A City of 200K+ people. When we nuked Hiroshima, that was pretty small compared to what we we use now. Plus, all of these nukes you're theorizing about would be dropped from one missile in a cluster, so we could nuke that entire area you're mentioning in one single strike. The effect of that would mean that you would condemn more than a million people to death in a single instant. They would have no time to escape or recover. Their destruction would be instantaneous.

Beyond this, such a strike would likely make Iran and Russia very jumpy- causing Russia to just hand over nukes directly to Iran. This gets Israel nervous and you've got a recipe for a shitstorm. Not to mention the shitstorm we would be facing at the UN for starting the whole thing.

Suen

Hahahhahahah

I can't seriously believe OP is for real.

And I'm getting the impression that he was 100 procent genuine with his proposition thinking it was somehow 'smart'.

Jesus....
Yeah he's probably serious about it. Thing is that it's funny and may look like a joke, but there are plenty of people like him (and mainly americans from my experience) who have this line of thinking. It's a common pattern.

Kazerei

Banned
I mean like a bomb that has an effect of one-mile radius. I'm sure ISIS has some sort of territory that's a one-mile radius with zero civilians.

I'm just thinking outside the box...drop some large bombs on them in areas where they are concentrated and of course limit the innocent casualties or prevent them all together if possible.

We already are bombing ISIS in areas where they are concentrated, while trying to limit innocent casualties. We're targeting specific things like camps, training grounds, storage facilities, communication towers, stuff like that.

Dropping larger bombs over larger areas is an awful idea, first of all because you're going to kill more innocent people. But even if that doesn't bother you, it's an inefficient use of resources. No point of using more money and firepower to level civilian neighbourhoods and empty wasteland. Let's make certain we know what we're hitting first.

Sai-kun

Banned
No. I'm getting PM's from people and I do not want to be banned. I actually enjoy this website for the in-depth discussion of video games. Didn't think this would blow up like it did and get out of hand...

I mean for gods sakes, I saw a thread on "lets talk about farting" the other day....it's here in off-topic....I thought...why not say, just nuke the bastards...but apparently farting is much more intelligent to discuss.

so again...my apologies. If I could delete this thread I would have already done it...though in the advanced posting options I do not see such a thing.

'yeah, there's no way talking about nukes is dumber than farting'

howling

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I'm pretty sure OP was not joking and this was his legit opinion. But man it is really disturbing to see that value of human lives have degraded so much. How can you even think of something like this?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I'm pretty sure OP was not joking and this was his legit opinion. But man it is really disturbing to see that value of human lives have degraded so much. How can you even think of something like this?

Regardless of whether my opinion was legit or not or whether some person on the internet decides to decide whether it's legit or not, when I watch some war documentaries, it still amazes me how we put our US soldiers in such harm's way when we could simply fire rockets from the ocean/seas and get rid of the scum that rules the lands.

Restrepo was the last documentary I watched where our soldiers were in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korangal_Valley and I couldn't believe the shit they were in day in and day out...24/7. When they described where the enemy was...I was thinking, why are we not just carpet bombing that area and basically getting rid of the infestation? The area they were controlling basically had no civilians, but then again, the tards in Washington control the wars and our soldiers are at the mercy of some desk-jocky politician unfortunately. Yes...that's a legit opinion.

rjinaz

Regardless of whether my opinion was legit or not or whether some person on the internet decides to decide whether it's legit or not, when I watch some war documentaries, it still amazes me how we put our US soldiers in such harm's way when we could simply fire rockets from the ocean/seas and get rid of the scum that rules the lands.

Restrepo was the last documentary I watched where our soldiers were in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korangal_Valley and I couldn't believe the shit they were in day in and day out...24/7. When they described where the enemy was...I was thinking, why are we not just carpet bombing that area and basically getting rid of the infestation? The area they were controlling basically had no civilians, but then again, the tards in Washington control the wars and our soldiers are at the mercy of some desk-jocky politician unfortunately. Yes...that's a legit opinion.

It is. It's horrible that our American soldiers are sent into such conditions, and die. I get where you are coming from absolutely. But it's not that simple. We'd be just as bad as our enemies, or even worst, if we took the easy way out, sort of speak.

so, let's see, how to salvage this topic

IF America were to go insane and, say, nuke Syria or Iraq, how would the world react?

Would the muslim countries all unite against us? Would other nuclear powers feel compelled to respond against us? Would they condemn us but do nothing?

I'm under the impression that they would use extreme sanctions, but America would be like "Hey, no fair" because they've never felt what it's like to realise that shit DOES stink, regardless of who does it. However, I am largely referring to the UK, France, Germany, etc. I'm unsure about how the Middle Eastern countries would be responding. Either they'd prove once and for all that they're better than the US by not responding with nuclear attacks, or they'd bomb back, because holy hell, it's a heartless answer to a heartless attack.

I'm not too well versed in global thermonuclear war matters, though. Sorry.

... 'Not too well versed in global thermonuclear war matters' would be an entirely appropriate tag for the OP.

Philly40

Carpet Bombing is the obvious solution, it has literally never gone wrong in the past

Afrodium

Banned

So the civilians in other countries should just have their lives wiped out by the "tards in Washington" instead? You're arguing that instead of sending men and women who volunteered for the military into combat situations we should wantonly kill civilians with no say in the matter. Goddammit, I want to reach through my computer and shake OP.

Are you in JROTC by any chance?

slit

No. I'm getting PM's from people and I do not want to be banned. I actually enjoy this website for the in-depth discussion of video games. Didn't think this would blow up like it did and get out of hand...

I mean for gods sakes, I saw a thread on "lets talk about farting" the other day....it's here in off-topic....I thought...why not say, just nuke the bastards...but apparently farting is much more intelligent to discuss.

so again...my apologies. If I could delete this thread I would have already done it...though in the advanced posting options I do not see such a thing.

This is GAF not Free Republic, you're going to get backlash for a thread like this and not because it's ridiculous, but because it's ridiculous AND just outright thoughtless. It sounds more like a madman's rant then than a fun harmless fart thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom