• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why gyro assisted aiming is not common thing on PS4 (consoles)?

dex3108

So today i decided to go back to RotTR and finish it now that i got new GPU and i decided to play it with gamepad because Steam now has nice support for DualShock 4. I heard before with Splatoon release and Steam Controller release that Gyro Assisted Aiming is really good thing so i decided to try it. Oh boy what difference that simple thing makes.

Then i started to think and i really can't see reason why PS4 games don't support it (or any other consoles that have gyro)? Is it that hard to implement it? Why Sony at least doesn't push it in 1st party games?

Soulflarz

Banned
Gyro aim is the best thing for small movements. You can keep your sensitivity high and still make small adjustments, it offsets one of controllers largest issues.

drotahorror

Only game I've used it on on PS4 is Blue Estate. I liked it but I had to constantly press a button to recenter the reticle. Probably due to the fact that my PS4 was at a 90 degree angle from me.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I can not for the life of me play any First person game with an analogue stick and I just struggle with aiming as I just find it slow and clunky.

Now with motion control, gyroscope or mouse and keyboard I don't have that problem and I wish that more games offer those option and just the standard controller.

-shadow-

I don't get it, the few games that do like Killzone, Splatoon and the Zelda remasters it's absolutely glorious. And if you don't like it, just disable it.

Edgeward

Considering how well it works on the Steam Controller, I am dismayed at how consoles don't have it be a standard option. It really is a game changer for me and I feel more in control and have more fun with shooters because of it.

dex3108

I mean i can kinda understand 3rd party devs who do multiplatform releases and as far as i know X1 gamepad doesn't have gyro so they don't bother. But why 1st party devs don't use it? It is such a good feature that improves gameplay significantly i would say.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Because Six axis was already a thing and it ended up being irrelevant and a mere tacked on novelty.

DBT85

I wish it was, I truly do.

I've said it tons before, but gyro aiming is what made me replay Uncharted Golden Abyss when I never replayed any other Uncharted. It was that simple. It gave me just that little bit extra so that I didn't feel like a complete potato when shooting things like I do in any other game.

As it is, I don't buy FPS games largely. I bought BF4 at launch of PS4, played the campaign and enjoyed it, then got my ass handed to me round after round online for a few weeks and then sold it. I've not played a COD since MW (which was on PC) and my Mass Effect games are all on PC.

It's amazing how underutilised it is. Use the joysticks for the bulk of the work and use the gyro for that extra bit of precision. Between Uncharted, Killzone and Borderlands 2 on the Vita, it was brilliant.

geordiemp

If the western market was so crazy hyped for gyro aiming shooters then why do they buy COD, Destiny, overwatch and GTA 5 on consoles ?

Why did the western market move away from Wii and WiiU ?

Some opinions on Gaf and whats popular on consoles are very different things imo.

Gyro aiming should really become standard. It makes aiming with a controller feel so natural. Thanks Splatoon for showing me the light.

Because the Xbox One controller stopped it from being a industry standard.

That doesn't explain why it's not there in First Party games. And the sixaxis gyros have existed since PS3 days.

It should be a Playstation standard at least.

I was disappointed that ND didn't incorporate it after playing Uncharted: Golden Abyss.
I don't believe that it doesn't work without the screen being portable.

dex3108

If the western market was so crazy hyped for gyro aiming shooters then why do they buy COD, Destiny, overwatch and GTA 5 on consoles ?

Some opinions on Gaf and whats popular on consoles are very different things imo.

We are not talking about full gyro aiming here. As optional addition to standard control scheme gyro aiming is amazing thing that improves gameplay. And every PS4 has gamepad with gyro built in so why not use it?

Who are you talking to? The entire premise of the thread is the OP expressing disbelief about how it isn't "crazy hyped".

And incidentally, this has nothing to do with Wii or WiiU. The OP is talking about using a normal controller for first person games but, by utilising the Gyroscope in a controller, you can make subtle movements without using the analogue stick. It's got nothing to do with Wiimotes or waggle or anything.

ViciousDS

Banned

Didn't help that the WiiUs analogs were shit. Try aiming in splatoon with Gyro off. You're basically fighting the damn controller to aim correctly. Xbox is definitely better but PS4 still has the best analogs for shooters this gen when it comes to sensitivity and reaction.

I hope to god the switch has virtually no deadzone and great sensitivity.

The only reason I even bothered with Gyro in splatoon was because of the fact that you were at a huge disadvantage without it. If it would have had good analog aiming in the first place it would have been a whole different story. I like Gyro but would still use analog aiming without it if the controls aren't bad in the first place. It's the reason I used Gyro aiming for UC vita was because it was nearly impossible to aim well with the sticks in the first place

Nanashrew

Banned
It's one of my favorite things that enhances gameplay. It may not be for everyone, but the option of having it would be great for those that do enjoy it.

I love it when implemented as well. Hope to see it slowly build traction.

Now that Xbox is moving away from normal generations, I wouldn't be surprised if they continued with separate controller generations. And perhaps six-axis could be a new feature at some point.

I hope the Switch Pro controller has it. But I can't help but doubt it. Because it would likely mean they'd have to put the sensor in the Joy-Con based controller-handle-thing as well.

Only game I've used it on on PS4 is Blue Estate. I liked it but I had to constantly press a button to recenter the reticle. Probably due to the fact that my PS4 was at a 90 degree angle from me.

It's all internal tech, doesn't matter where your PS4 is. Could you be thinking of tracking with the camera perhaps? That's a different tech. Gyro aiming uses a built-in sensor, like in smartphones, DS3, Vita and 3DS.

Oni Jazar

It's amazing how underutilised it is. Use the joysticks for the bulk of the work and use the gyro for that extra bit of precision. Between Uncharted, Killzone and Borderlands 2 on the Vita, it was brilliant.

My man.
HyYUuae.gif

Motooni

It's a curious thing, the ease of aiming with gyro sensors... makes analogue sticks feel like playing with oven gloves on.

Acerac

Banned

Who in this thread said these things are popular?

Did you post in the wrong thread?

Orayn

You don't even know what gyro aiming means based on this post.

Reallink

Cause 'core' gamers are morons who irrationally hate anything related to motion controls and dev/pubs are too scared to rock the boat.

stuminus3

Banned

I don't think you understand what we're talking about.

Nanashrew

Banned
They were forced in Splatoon because the aiming without them was genuinely some of the worst I've experienced in the last decade of gaming. Felt like shit.

Splatoon also doesn't have any assistance like in other console shooters too. Maybe that's the issue? I mean, you don't necessarily need assistance for the type of game it is and how some weapons have a wider spread than others. But it definitely was designed around gyro first and foremost, yeah.

A more traditional shooter could keep the assistance when gyro is off. Should be no issue.

Splatoon also doesn't have any assistance like in other console shooters too. Maybe that's the issue? I mean, you don't necessarily need assistance for the type of game it is and how some weapons have a wider spread than others. But it definitely was designed around gyro first and foremost, yeah.

A more traditional shooter could keep the assistance when gyro is off. Should be no issue.

There's actually some aim Assist in Splatoon but it's rather minor though notable.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Gyro aim/Fine tuning should be a standard for console shooters at this point, it makes a huge difference.

WaterAstro

Probably because of multiplatform.

Let's say that Battlefield One doesn't have gyro aiming on PS4 because of Xbone, EA suits will tell the devs to fuck off if they want to make it work on PS4.

It was great in Killzone 2
It was great in Uncharted Vita
It was great in Killzone Vita

I have zero idea why it never took off. Its a great way to add a little more fine control.

Top Bottom