• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why has Mario never whipped out a peace sign in years?

Super_Mario_Bros._The_Lost_Levels_%28FC%29_%28JP%29.png

This is something that's bothered me for quite a while. It was ubiquitous to his image for a long time but at some point Nintendo just dropped it. He hasn't done it in any of his games since the Gamecube era.

An obvious example of what I'm talking about in the DS remake of Super Mario 64. Mario would do the v-sign every time he got a power star but in the remake he would raise a fist in the air instead.

fwonODG.gif

The DS clearly could handle sticking some extra polygons on his stumpy hands but it was clearly a intentional decision by Nintendo to not put it in. Why? Maybe I'm overlooking some changes in Japanese cultural trends in the early 2000s? What say you, GAF?

maxcriden

Yeah, it's V for Victory. I think the world has become more PC so they did their usual (wise) side-step of bringing political concerns* into their games.

*please note I don't consider people being gay to be a political concern and I would welcome this in Nintendo games

SerTapTap

American Mario desires no peace, only war.

The jumping fist pump seems to have taken the peace sign's place in most games.

Nibel

Wild theory: He always bumps his fist in the air now which is a universally accepted sign of victory. The victory sign, or peace sign, is seen as insult in some countries in the world. I can see Nintendo deciding to stick with the fist.

I'm no expert of anything and enjoy pizza a lot

Grisby

I dunno, I wish he would though. Just throw his hand in the air like he just don't care.

Victory sign is much better than a fist pump.

Eusis

Yeah, it's V for Victory. I think the world has become more PC so they did their usual (wise) side-step of bringing political concerns* into their games.

*please note I don't consider people being gay to be a political concern and I would welcome this in Nintendo games
If we've reached the point that a vague "peace" sign is to much for video games outside of some insane (usually right wing) people then we can say or have nothing interesting in games.

I want to know if this was seen post-SM64. Seems possible that the poor level of detail made it look like it could have been the back of his hand facing the viewer and thus look bad in England and other countries with a stigma for that, because the victory/peace version doesn't sound like it's offensive to anyone but the previously mentioned crazy people.

Krejlooc

Banned
If we've reached the point that a vague "peace" sign is to much for video games outside of some insane (usually right wing) people then we can say or have nothing interesting in games.

I want to know if this was seen post-SM64. Seems possible that the poor level of detail made it look like it could have been the back of his hand facing the viewer and thus look bad in England and other countries with a stigma for that, because the victory/peace version doesn't sound like it's offensive to anyone but the previously mentioned crazy people.

If anything, V for Victory should be offensive to the Japanese. It was a hand sign to signal the victory in the pacific.

SerTapTap

Surprised people don't like the fist pump, always thought it was sort of a callback to the SMB1 jump animation where he "punches" the block above him (but everyone and their mother sees it as him hitting them with his head)

MisterHero

It was pretty common when I lived in Japan. Maybe they thought it was too open to interpretation or something.

Do they not do the peace sign in Japan anymore?

Pociask

The peace sign was consistent with the peace flag he hoisted after each course in SMB1. /spoiler I know it's not a peace flag - but pretty sure that's what I thought for years.

Krejlooc

Banned
They don't seem to mind too much since the V sign is used extensively there.

I'm aware. It caught on in japan because the US stationed troops used it extensively over there after the war during the reconstruction period. They sort of took it and ran with it and made it their own thing over the years.

Joke answer: Nintendo has clearly identified the NES/Famicom era as their peak, and as such, sees little to no value in mining the SNES era for ideas or nostalgia. This is why SMB3 got Super Mario 3D Land and World and Little Mac in Smash 4 has black hair, while Super Metroid got Other M

Serious answer: why does anyone care oh my god

cacildo

if you buy Mario 64 on Wii vc you will be treated to the classic peace/victory sign

Which is a lot better than the fist pump

jay

I'm aware. It caught on in japan because the US stationed troops used it extensively over there after the war during the reconstruction period. They sort of took it and ran with it and made it their own thing over the years.

You should update Wikipedia with this.

RagnarokX

I don't think V for victory has taken a sideline because it might offend people, but because it's more of a Japanese thing and Mario has become more general. It confuses people. I mean the thread title called it a peace sign!

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
I'm not sure about this, but I think I've heard somewhere that the "V for Victory" pose is considered a bit childish. Perhaps its Nintendo trying not to make Mario into something that is considered solely for children but something for everyone.

For instance, in this Iwata Asks, Koji Kondo says that when composing the music for the Mario games he didn't aim to make something for children, but music that reflects that "Mario is cool".
Koji Kondo said:
Yokota-san, if somewhere in your mind you have an image that Mario is cute, please get rid of it.

The above quote in particular stands out. Mario is child-friendly, but not childish.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
probably because it's not trendy, not what kids are doing anymore.
it's not really in the zeitgeist like it once was prevalent in media.

For example, I expect a fist bump soon in Nintendo games.

oh wait.

cranky-donkey-fistbump-1024x576.jpeg

It was never a 'peace' sign. In Japan that hand gesture is a V sign. Generally referring to 'victory' or the like.

As for why it was changed? Because it wasn't a universal sign (as taken from Op's interpretation) most likely.

low-G

When Super Mario World came out I thought it was some contemporary culture thing because all my dumb classmates were doing peace signs all the time.

Top Bottom