• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I bought a Nintendo Wii U and why you should too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral Dog

Refreshing to see a positive thread among all the (justified) E3 vitrol, Wii U has many flaws, but for someone that is new to Nintendo or has not played anything from them before Wii, is a nice system.

Pizza

That's pretty much why I love mine! I cut my teeth on Nintendo and while I got bored of my Wii the Wii U won me back. Idc how powerful a console is as long as it's got the games and the Wii U has not had a single starfox adventures and beat my favorite Mario kart so I'm pretty damn satisfied

Oh ok haha. What would you recommend I play next?

Yup, that's what I'm thinking as well. But so many PS4 games to play first (and Splatoon), then I'll go back to Wii U.

I'll be honest. Not a fan of fighting games like this. So I even don't buy street fighter or Mortal Kombat.

I hate traditional fighting games, but love Smash. It really does a lot to cater to every skill level, such that you don't feel like you straight up can't play if you don't play on a high level.

In fact you can go ten years fighting your buddies and no one else, and think you're amazing, when really don't even have the slightest clue how to actually be good.

emrober5

I will give you credit for a lengthy, well thought out post.

But, as a former wii u owner, I just can't recommend it.

The exclusives are good, but with weak hardware, dead third party support, and the nx on the horizon, it is a bad purchase now, unless you can get a great deal.

Choomp

Banned
Did not read all of that text wall but I agree, the Wii U deserves a lot more sales and support than it gets. Buy it, you'll probably enjoy yourself.

Ulysses 31

Cheers.

This is going to sound like a dumb question but how do I download it on Wii U?

Via the E-Shop(after setting up an internet connection via System Settings) but the 3DS version is a lot easier on the eyes with the updated graphics and framerate, the N64 version runs at 20 orso fps.

Check your downloads with the home button and then download manager(blue icon bottom left)

A good 2D Zelda to start with is A Link To The Past on SNES which can also be purchased for Wii U VC.

thedan001

I've been playing smash 4, mario kart, and splatoon consistently with wii-u

online play and matchmaking is so much better this time around

Linkhero1

I will give you credit for a lengthy, well thought out post.

But, as a former wii u owner, I just can't recommend it.

The exclusives are good, but with weak hardware, dead third party support, and the nx on the horizon, it is a bad purchase now, unless you can get a great deal.

Exclusives should be enough imo. Hardware is outdated and OS is pretty bad but it has great games. That alone should justify a purchase. If NX is confirmed BC then I would hold off but we don't have enough information about it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I grew up on Nintendo and would love to have some desire to get one of their consoles again. The limited amount of games, a large portion of those games being IP that I'm completely burnt out on, and the continued high prices of their games push me away. Splatoon looks super fun, as does Bayonetta 2 and Pikmin 3, but I can't justify a system for a few games.

I'll probably end up buying one for $100 after it's totally dead, just like I did with the Wii.

Rocky

Banned
Via the E-Shop but the 3DS version is a lot easier on the eyes with the updated graphics and framerate, the N64 version runs at 20 orso fps.

Check your downloads with the home button and then download manager(blue icon bottom left)

A good 2D Zelda to start with is A Link To The Past on SNES which can also be purchased for Wii U VC.

Uh, Ocarina isn't on the Wii U eshop. You have to get it through the Wii shop if you want to play it on the console. There's only 3 N64 games on the Wii U currently.

Hugstable

Banned
Just started getting back into my Wii U again since E3, playing Shantae Pirates Curse right now (really fun metroidvania style game, really enjoying it). It's a good system as long as it isn't the only thing you have since the lack of 3rd party support, but if you go in knowing that you want good quality Nintendo games, it's a really great system. Planning to finally give Pikmin 3 a whirl after this, plus I just bought New Luigi U. Probably gonna be playing my Wii U phase til Mario Maker comes out at the least. That game has me hyped beyond belief and I don't even care much about creating as many levels as I do playing them.

Mh3ucoverger45.png
latest
TropicalFreezeBoxLarge.jpg

supermario3d_924874.jpg
latest
oufy3aghhkqbpv2xlnll.jpg

k2-_ca691b39-7c24-4d51-a584-b16af9035907.v1.jpg-19cffb9929143994b9aeecba3a6e54c210feff3b-optim-450x450.jpg
fbook.jpg
2129213-169_wonderful101_nindirect_wiiu_ot_080913.jpg
super_smash_bros_wii_u_3ds_characters_by_supersaiyancrash-d704xlh.jpg

my personal bests so far

Bashtee

Will wait for NX. I don't need it right now, backlog is hugh enough as it is, the addition of Xbox One didn't help either. I read somewhere in the NX thread that it should be backwards compatible. That's actually something I would wait for. If it turns out to be true, I'd rather put all the money into the next console or get a cheaper Wii U.

Congrats nonetheless, great games! What annoyed me with the Gamepad was the battery life, switched it for the bigger version before I gave it to my brother.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'll get it once I can find it really cheap. Game prices are too high, never drop, and it sounds like this console's support is nearing the end, which wouldn't be such an issue if I thought there was a decent enough library, but it doesn't have a ton of great games that interest me as is, only a small handful(in fact, only *real* must haves for me are Xenoblade and the new Zelda), so if I get one, it's gonna be a fairly limited use console.

I might wait a couple years and see if I can get one for like £75 or something. Just got a New 3DS recently, so that'll hold me over for Nintendo products til then.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I hate traditional fighting games, but love Smash. It really does a lot to cater to every skill level, such that you don't feel like you straight up can't play if you don't play on a high level.

In fact you can go ten years fighting your buddies and no one else, and think you're amazing, when really don't even have the slightest clue how to actually be good.

I see what you're saying. But I dunno. Every time I play a fighting game I just don't get into it. Is there a demo I can try out?

Welcome to Nintendo Online world. And I have bad news to tell you.
edit: If you asking about Twilight Princess that is.

Haha, don't worry. I used it to download wind waker HD and realised how crap and slow the shop is haha.

Via the E-Shop(after setting up an internet connection via System Settings) but the 3DS version is a lot easier on the eyes with the updated graphics and framerate, the N64 version runs at 20 orso fps.

Uh, Ocarina isn't on the Wii U eshop. You have to get it through the Wii shop if you want to play it on the console. There's only 3 N64 games on the Wii U currently.

Yeh this is something that confuses me as I know there is multiple places to download games and as I haven't really looked in to the virtual console stuff before I'm not sure where to go for each game. Is there a list somewhere?

my personal bests so far

I don't see Hyrule Warriors on that list..........

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Splatoon is a great game, shame it might be losing a lot of support from Nintendo as they focus more on the NX,

but I have a heap of games to play and then some Wii Games to catch up on, I am more than happy for now..

plan on picking up a few more bargains as well.

massoluk

Banned
I see what you're saying. But I dunno. Every time I play a fighting game I just don't get into it. Is there a demo I can try out?

Haha, don't worry. I used it to download wind waker HD and realised how crap and slow the shop is haha.

Yeh this is something that confuses me as I know there is multiple places to download games and as I haven't really looked in to the virtual console stuff before I'm not sure where to go for each game. Is there a list somewhere?

I don't see Hyrule Warriors on that list..........

The bad news was that Wii game downloadable library is extremely limited. Super Mario Galaxy becoming downloadable was considered huge for goodness sake

Qwyjibo

It's a solid complementary system if you can get it at a discount/promotion. I would've never bought it at full price and wouldn't recommend anyone to do it. Especially now that it's mostly dead going forward. I'm still totally excited for Xenoblade X though.

Mario Kart 8 and Bayonetta 2 are truly amazing and stand alongside the best of any other recent games. But beyond that? Ehhhh. Definitely some very good games but nothing mind-blowing. The gamepad is a total chore to use for games that aren't ideal for the Pro Controller (which is great, btw).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_America) has all the Wii Virtual Console games. They can all be bought on Wii U if you switch it into the backwards compatibility OS and use the old shop inside there. Keep in mind it's a different shop with a separate wallet and uses Wii Points instead of real money (you can still use a credit card but have to use it to buy Points instead of buying games directly).

Also you will need a Wii Remote and Wii Classic Controller or Wii Classic Controller Pro to play them. The Backwards compatibility doesn't support the Wii U Gamepad or Wii U Pro Controller (confused yet? Thanks Nintendo...)

ramparter

Banned
Oh ok haha. What would you recommend I play next?
I wouldn't call Wind Waker the best one. The best can be played on 3ds but hopefully Wii U will get Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword on Wii vc which are decent.

Since this is your first Nintendo console I highly recommend to play Metroid Prime Trilogy & Super Mario Galaxy 2 on virtual console. You just need a Remote & nunchuck

_h8bit

Banned
My Wii U compliments my PS4 really well. Just picked up Wind Waker HD during the sale today and I'm diving into 3D World for the first time today and the cat suit is such a neat mechanic. Splatoon scratches that arena shooter itch really well and I'm really looking forward to more VC games as well.

hohoXD123

Got mine just recently too. The combination of a decent deal and a good exclusive library at present and in the future was too tempting.

Vena

Its been a good enough ride in combination with my PC to definitely give me confidence in the NX as another system that will have those rare games I can't get anywhere else. For everything else, there's Master Ca... I mean, PC.

Doesn't hurt that I think it has access to the best games of several generations available to through backwards compatibility and, simply, its own library. Its an all-in-one box from Gamecube (with a little modding) to WiiU.

120v

i'm holding out for a price cut still. just can't justify paying over $200 for that hardware in 2015.

i'm holding out for a price cut still. just can't justify paying over $200 for that hardware in 2015.

I own a PS4 and have played the best looking games on the system and Wii U games are still visually appealing to me because their art style looks so good in 720p.

sensui-tomo

Zhuge EX the only thing i'll tell you is to avoid Warriors orochi 3 hyper like the plague.... it runs like shit, makes you wonder how they got HW to ever run well (plus i know you have WO3 Ultimate on a more recent console)

Matty77

Honestly, if you have a handful of titles that are must play to you, and the disposable income to buy a console as a secondary/(insert game name)machine, than by all means go for it.

But if you have limited budget, just want one primary, like a wide range of games from popular FPS to indies, I really cannot recommend it.

ZhugeEX

Banned
The bad news was that Wii game downloadable library is extremely limited. Super Mario Galaxy becoming downloadable was considered huge for goodness sake

That's one game I want to play! Tbh I'm not too fussed about playing all Nintendo games, but if there are some good ones that I should play then I'm down.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_America) has all the Wii Virtual Console games. They can all be bought on Wii U if you switch it into the backwards compatibility OS and use the old shop inside there. Keep in mind it's a different shop with a separate wallet and uses Wii Points instead of real money (you can still use a credit card but have to use it to buy Points instead of buying games directly).

Also you will need a Wii Remote and Wii Classic Controller or Wii Classic Controller Pro to play them. The Backwards compatibility doesn't support the Wii U Gamepad or Wii U Pro Controller (confused yet? Thanks Nintendo...)

Yeh I heard about this and I wii remote and nunchuck. I'd like to have used my Wii U Pro controller though. A bit of hassle really. But then like I said I haven't looked into it too much so I'm sure i'll figure it out once I start downloading titles.

Thanksfor the list as well.

I wouldn't call Wind Waker the best one. The best can be played on 3ds but hopefully Wii U will get Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword on Wii vc which are decent.

Since this is your first Nintendo console I highly recommend to play Metroid Prime Trilogy & Super Mario Galaxy 2 on virtual console. You just need a Remote & nunchuck

I'm interested in Galaxy series, not looked in to Metroid before but I'll check it out.

Thanks.

That's surprising that the Wii U is your first console as I thought you would have had either a Wii or a 3DS due to the exclusive Samurai Warrior games on it. But I suppose it wasn't enough to buy those consoles for you. I do recommend a 3DS though, if you don't mind handheld gaming with mediocre graphics, simply because it has access to all but a handful of past Legend of Zelda games. If you want to just keep with the Wii U for now though, I HIGHLY recommend trying out Pikmin 3. It's got a demo, so you don't have it buy it if it's not for you. Also Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a fantastic platformer, should you want to play another. In fact, the Wii U is pretty much the place to go for platformers. Mario, DK, Kirby, Yoshi, Splatoon single player.

Also, I really enjoyed the OP. It's interesting seeing what an experienced gamer's first introduction to Mario and other classic Nintendo properties are.

phanphare

Banned
OP if you like 2D platformers and can handle some challenge get DKC: Tropical Freeze. that game is really good. fantastic OST too.

dhonk

Wii U purchase last year has been one of my best purchases ever, really enjoying the exclusives. Anything I wanted on PS4 / Xbone has been announced for PC so they really have no purpose for me right now.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Zhuge EX the only thing i'll tell you is to avoid Warriors orochi 3 hyper like the plague.... it runs like shit, makes you wonder how they got HW to ever run well (plus i know you have WO3 Ultimate on a more recent console)

Haha, don't worry. I have PS4 and PS3 for all musou games like that. Only musou game I bought a Wii U for was Hyrule Warriors.

That's surprising that the Wii U is your first console as I thought you would have had either a Wii or a 3DS due to the exclusive Samurai Warrior games on it. But I suppose it wasn't enough to buy those consoles for you. I do recommend a 3DS though, if you don't mind handheld gaming with mediocre graphics, simply because it has access to all but a handful of past Legend of Zelda games. If you want to just keep with the Wii U for now though, I HIGHLY recommend trying out Pikmin 3. It's got a demo, so you don't have it buy it if it's not for you. Also Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a fantastic platformer, should you want to play another. In fact, the Wii U is pretty much the place to go for platformers. Mario, DK, Kirby, Yoshi, Splatoon single player.

Also, I really enjoyed the OP. It's interesting seeing what an experienced gamer's first introduction to Mario and other classic Nintendo properties are.

When the Wii came out I wasn't in a position to buy the console myself and quite honestly, even when I did have the cash, SW3Z came out on PS3 and so I got myself a copy of that. Never really been a huge handheld gamer tbh so the 3DS version of SW Chronicles didn't convince me. But the multiple musou games on PS Vita did.

What convinced me to get a Wii U was Hyrule Warriors and also Nintendo's games actually looked fun to play.

sensui-tomo

Haha, don't worry. I have PS4 and PS3 for all musou games like that. Only musou game I bought a Wii U for was Hyrule Warriors.

When the Wii came out I wasn't in a position to buy the console myself and quite honestly, even when I did have the cash, SW3Z came out on PS3 and so I got myself a copy of that. Never really been a huge handheld gamer tbh so the 3DS version of SW Chronicles didn't convince me. But the multiple musou games on PS Vita did.

What convinced me to get a Wii U was Hyrule Warriors and also Nintendo's games actually looked fun to play.

Right I do have another game to recommend, Bayo 1+2(bayo 2 but comes with copy of 1) Zombi-u (its going to be cheap but its fun for a while and the price you can get it at should make it worth it) For Wii titles .. xenoblade obviously, TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM (yes a fighter but its got ANIME VS capcom YATTA and very simple to learn and play) metroid collection (think thats on wii-u VC?) i'd have to think of other titles but those are some of my faves .

I see. I hope the KT-Nintendo relationship furthers into giving more Musou games on their consoles, because I do love me some Musou. Or make another Pokemon Conquest game. But anyway, Nintendo's first party stuff is almost always great because they're just fun, pure and simple. Also, I do believe Super Smash Bros has a demo on the Wii U, so you should be able to try it out first.

correojon

OP, apart from the WiiU gems you still have to play (DK: TF, Pikmin 3, Bayonettas...) you must go right now to the eshop and buy Metroid Prime Trilogy. And Mario Galaxy. And Zelda(Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess). And Punch Out. And Sin and Punishment. Really, the Wii has an awesome library, you should take the chance to experience it.

Vena

I see. I hope the KT-Nintendo relationship furthers into giving more Musou games on their consoles, because I do love me some Musou. Or make another Pokemon Conquest game. But anyway, Nintendo's first party stuff is almost always great because they're just fun, pure and simple. Also, I do believe Super Smash Bros has a demo on the Wii U, so you should be able to try it out first.

NX will probably launch with HyWa 2. It seems to be getting positioned as a familiar "off-shoot" for the series, and it had a lot of success on the WiiU and, probably will, on the 3DS.

I'm not even sure if the first iteration of NX will outright replace the WiiU or if its first going to slide in to replace the 3DS before the WiiU's NX equivalent comes along to that end. Depending on their pipelines and how they build the NX they could still fuel both with a singular development line (recompile between the two chains, rather than as per current of having to code two vastly different experiences from the ground up). Most programming is agnostic in this day and age, and while there are certain aspects of PPC that they wouldn't be so keen to keeping taken advantage of, I don't think it'd be that impossible of an eventuality.

The WiiU may just chug along for a little longer than we expect... but the 3DS is most definitely getting retired.

I'm interested in Galaxy series, not looked in to Metroid before but I'll check it out.

Thanks.

You haven't played the Prime games? Get on it. But be warded after playing Prime you will immediately be compelled to destroy all other inferior software in your possession... ie. all of it (including other Nintendo software).

Vitacat

Wii U is my favorite recent console, and I also own a PS4.

I completely missed the original Wii, so between buying up a ton of good Wii games and all the best Wii U games (no to mention having Nintendont on an SD card) the Wii U is an amazing Nintendo gaming resource right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom