• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I bought a Nintendo Wii U and why you should too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Fire

I only want 4-5 games for the Wii U, so it's probably worthwhile to just wait until it's 150 dollars. Especially if the NX isn't backwards compatible, which we'll find out in the next year or so.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
That was a really delightful and well-articulated first post, and I'm happy you're enjoying your Wii U so much.

For me, however, my tastes are rather limited when it comes to gaming. I don't care much for most Mario, nor Musou, nor most of Nintendo's other staples. It is unfortunate, perhaps, but it is what it is.

What I plan to do is to purchase a used Wii U for ~$125-150 around this time next year, with Xenoblade Chronicles X behind it and Zelda (Wii U) ahead of it. Those are honestly the only two games on the system that call out to me and the wait has been rough.

sublimit

Banned
Xenoblade X will be my reason this December.Not that i don't have enough reasons already but this year i've been very busy and my backlog on other platforms is only getting bigger so i couldn't justify buying another console so far.

But like i said i'll be getting one once XCX comes out,hopefully in a bundle.

Mononoke

Banned
That was a really delightful and well-articulated first post, and I'm happy you're enjoying your Wii U so much.

For me, however, my tastes are rather limited when it comes to gaming. I don't care much for most Mario, nor Musou, nor most of Nintendo's other staples. It is unfortunate, perhaps, but it is what it is.

What I plan to do is to purchase a used Wii U for ~$125-150 around this time next year, with Xenoblade Chronicles X behind it and Zelda (Wii U) ahead of it. Those are honestly the only two games on the system that call out to me and the wait has been rough.

Man I feel for you. Getting a console for two games, and waiting that long to purchase something? That is rough. Maybe wait for the NX and wait and see if it has BC of Wii U titles?

I guess your tastes won't change with the NX. So Wii U being $125 used cheap might actually make more sence for you.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Man I feel for you. Getting a console for two games, and waiting that long to purchase something? That is rough. Maybe wait for the NX and wait and see if it has BC of Wii U titles?

I guess your tastes won't change with the NX. So Wii U being $125 used cheap might actually make more send for you.

Yeah, it'd sort of depend on Nintendo's message with the NX unveiling, specifically the types of games they announce with it. But I can't imagine they'll announce a new Zelda already, haha. That'd be pretty crazy. I don't know, if they showed off some neat RPGs and such I'd be more into the idea of picking up an NX anytime around launch but it'll probably be Mario. (Fingers crossed for Metroid too however. I do like Metroid.)

Firebrand

I'm in the same boat as I was with the Wii... it's cheap now, there's plenty of games... but I know their next one might be not so far away. I wouldn't count on the NX playing Wii games though, so maybe it's worth checking out as I haven't played any games on either system yet.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah, it'd sort of depend on Nintendo's message with the NX unveiling, specifically the types of games they announce with it. But I can't imagine they'll announce a new Zelda already, haha. That'd be pretty crazy. I don't know, if they showed off some neat RPGs and such I'd be more into the idea of picking up an NX anytime around launch but it'll probably be Mario. (Fingers crossed for Metroid too however. I do like Metroid.)

Makes sense. If Nintendo doesn't fix their two platform content issue, then I'm not going to invest in their system again. Def waiting to see what their messaging on it is, as you said. No point buying their next console if they don't make the proper changes to fix things.

I'll wait either way. Because even if they convince me they are making proper changes, I want to make sure they don't fuck up on marketing the NX either. So your plan actually makes the most sense, especially if your issue is the kind of games they are making. Get the Wii U as cheap as possible and wait and see on their next system. Plus, even if NX has Wii U BC and they sell you on it, you can't be too bothered paying such a low price on the Wii U. And I doubt they will have the games you want at launch.

Crazy you've waited this long :p But hey, I respect that. I wish I had waited before buying my Wii U. Even though I actually loved most of the games on it, I would have preferred having waited two years. So I actually am envious of OP or anyone coming into this late. Wish I had more patience, and wasn't so giddy buying new gadgets at launch.

Piercator

Banned
Welcome to the club. I have the same experience buying Sony's consoles and I decided to give it a try to Nintendo two ears ago with the 3DS. I was amazed, so I bought a Wii U only a few months later.

If you are enjoying this games, try Super Mario Galaxy 2. Man, after finish that game Mario 3D suddenly became a bad game in comparison. SMG 2 is something unique and powerful. It was one of the best games I've ever played. Simply amazed by its features and marvelousness.

batrush

What's your single interesting genre, train simulators? ;-)

Not sure what you or the other guy are getting at. The system offers little to the RPG fan. I'll grant you Xenoblade, even though I found Chronicles 3D underwhelming. It is a system mostly for fans of Nintendo's first-party titles, which don't appeal to me at all.

Rich!

Not sure what you or the other guy are getting at. The system offers little to the RPG fan. I'll grant you Xenoblade, even though I found Chronicles 3D underwhelming. It is a system mostly for fans of Nintendo's first-party titles, which don't appeal to me at all.

So you have no interest in the PS4 or xbone either then? Because they aren't exactly drowning in RPGs. Actually, none of the consoles are.

Tl;Dr

I'm selling mine. Second wii u too. I try to love it but Nintendo just isn't going anywhere. It is literally the same thing over and over. Nintendo can't even provide a competent online system. My Wii U has been off since weekend of smash release.

I'm glad I can finally comment on GAF, might as well start here. :) It's nice to see some good stories about people and their Wii U here after the recent barrage of negativity over Nintendo's E3 showcase, and I'm glad others are really getting the most out of their systems. I seem to have a knack for picking the least popular hardware every single generation, but despite what some people say, I think it's actually a really good time to be a Nintendo fan.

After having grown up on Nintendo systems, I let my GameCube go to explore third-party games through the PlayStation brand, and after a decade of being away from Nintendo, I decided it would be a good time to return on the Wii U, especially because it had Wii compatibility. I can't say I've been disappointed by the system's library, with excellent additions in core franchises (MK 8, Smash, 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3), quirky but highly polished one-off titles (Captain Toad, Rainbow Curse, Hyrule Warriors, Splatoon), and a pair of top-of-the-line action games (Bayo 2, Wonderful 101). And while the lineup for the rest of the year doesn't have quite the same appeal as last fall, there's actually more titles this year overall, I believe, and I feel that many of them will be as fondly remembered in a year's time as the rest of titles I listed above.

So, yes, while the system's future is bleak (though I don't think it's going to be as bleak as the last couple of years of the Wii), I'm definitely glad I grabbed it last year and encourage anyone who hasn't yet who feels even the slightest inkling towards the system's library to take the plunge: I've a feeling you probably won't regret it.

batrush

So you have no interest in the PS4 or xbone either then? Because they aren't exactly drowning in RPGs. Actually, none of the consoles are.

Already have Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3, and I am planning to get Persona 5, Disgaea 5 and Fallout 4 when they release this Fall. There are several 2016 RPGs on my radar too. And the generation has just begun.

Jimrpg

I gave away my ps4 to my brother for now so my number one console is the Wii U. (Technically PC is my number 1)

Xenoblade Chronicles X
Fatal frame

Will tide me over for the rest of the year.

Still got in the backlog

Bayonetta 1&2
Super Mario 3D World
Smash
Mario Kart

There's nothing on PS4 that I'm getting for the rest of the year.

Dynasty8

Seriously...?

Compared to the Wii U, the PS4 and Xbox One are drowning in RPGs. In the past month I spent 140 hours on The Witcher 3 and it was one of the most amazing games I have ever played. Before that was Bloodborne, then FFX Remastered...and before that was Dragon Age Inquisition.

Not to mention what's going to be coming out in the next 6 months and couple years...Persona 5, FFXV, KH3, Horizon, Tales, FFVII Remake, Mass Effect, Fallout 4, and I'm missing a ton more.

Other than RPGs, there are other amazing games to play. I can't wait for MGSV and Halo 5.

The only unreleased Wii U games I'm looking forward to are Xenoblade X and Zelda. One releases in December and the other we probably won't see for a couple years...which means this system will stay dormant while the other consoles will continuously release games I care about. The future doesn't look bright for the Wii U...and I do regret dropping $350 on it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is the first Nintendo console I haven't owned. I even had a Virtual Boy. I will jump in when Zelda arrived tho.

Maengun1

I thought the Wii kind of sucked, but the WiiU is my favorite current console (library wise) by far.

I always, always seem to end up being the contrarian to the general public. I don't even like it. I'm an unwilling hipster or something.

The good old classic Nintendo genre.

Matty77

What's your single interesting genre, train simulators? ;-)
While the quote you posted is shit level trolling, to act like the WiiU has worthwhile system selling content in all mainstream popular genres never mind everything but train simulators is pretty disengenuous at best.

While Nintendo is best at what they do, there is a lot they don't. There is a reason over half the people that love and recommend it refer to it as a secondary console.

All I've been playing lately is Wii U hah. My 3DS and Vita have been collecting dust. (Not for long though, planning on playing Alpha Sapphire and Tearaway very soon)

I bought the Splatoon bundle at best buy. Also got Mario kart. I'm super glad I got it because those games are awesome. Gonna get hyrule warriors and maybe watch dogs next.

Super pumped for star fox, one of my favorite Nintendo properties.

The Beard

Right now is a terrible time to buy a Wii U. Nintendo has all but officially thrown in the towel at this point. Wait for the inevitable price drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom