• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why in the world don't they make a kickstarter for Shenmue 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kandinsky

pretty much.

elaborate, please.

I don't know I always considered to be one of the first nongames, but those "nongames" are what we call AAA/cinematic experiences these days, so what do I know. I do remember being incredibly bored by it. The whole open the drawer, take out your wallet, put it in your pocket, close the drawer, open the next one, take out your watch, comment on every single thing you see/touch. "Meet me in the corner in eight hours", the constant running back and forth and back and forth, etc didn't seem too gamey to me. But yeah this has nothing to do with what the OP is asking so I apologize.

Vorg

Banned
Let's face it, shenmue just doesn't hold up that well. You spend half the time doing mundane jobs and the other half doing mundane tasks. And just when you think you're getting somewhere, " look at the time... I better go to bed." The fighting engine and the toys and other little distractions were pretty cool back then, but they don't look that impressive nowadays. I would like to see a conclusion to the story, though.

I found the idea of doing "boring" daily tasks like going to work pretty cool and immersive. Made the game feel very much like I was part of that world. Certainly with what devs know now, they could add things to spice up the "boring" parts.

Don't get me wrong. It was cool at first. Just boring after the sixth time doing the same thing. "Move these crates. Now go back home"

Anyways.. if they did have a new one hopefully they'd spice it up like you say. Maybe Skyrim style. They have jobs for you to do, but not like that. You get my point I'm sure though. Again.. fun game back in the day.. but I don't know how that same exact style would be fun these days after all the new games I've played.

s_mirage

Shenmue 3 would get ~5 million in kickstarter and another 5 to 10 million from post kickstarter funding. Sega can allocate 15-20 million from their own pocket and the budget would be a respectable ~30-40 million, more than enough for the type of game. I reckon Yakuza doesn't even have half of that.

It would still need to sell decent numbers for that to make sense though, and I'm not sure it would. Without the series receiving a remake the only real audience would be Shenmue fans, and I don't believe they're as numerous as they are vocal.

I'd love to see Shenmue 3 but I just can't see how it's possible at this point.

injurai

Banned
This surprised me with all the hype the game got. People are suddenly fine with this crap?

Because that money is going towards creating the game, and people are willingly buying these ships to use day 1. There is hardly anything about it to get upset about.

They could license out the engine from Warehouse and Logistics Simulator 2014! That could save a few million dollars of development costs.

It would have to raise more than any kickstarter to date has raised, exponentially more.

In addition, it has to pay for its opportunity cost, as well. The people who would work on the game are not just sitting around waiting for the Shenmue Alarm on the wall to go off so that they can leap in to action and make Shenmue 3. They're making other shit. That stuff could potentially make money faster, give them something good to report on every FY, and is unlikely to be a boondoggle.

You want to know the real reason major publishers don't like crowdfunding? Because they're only getting a guarantee of the hardcore buying it. Games need more than just the hardcore fans. Justifying only the bare minimum of production costs in sales is a nightmare scenario, the only thing being worse would be actually losing money. There's no way to guarantee sales would drastically exceed what they've already promised on kickstarter and they don't want to take that risk.

Iorv3th

Shenmue cost $50 million with DC graphics, good luck Kickstarting that.

People bring this up a lot but the game started out as a sega saturn title and was in development for a long time. Shenmue 3 wouldn't (shouldn't) need to have a long development time like that because the story and everything should be finished and could have a set platform to make it for. Even if it came out with Shenmue 2 engine I would be happy.

I actually wish Sega would create a Kickstarter for it. That way when it inevitably failed the hundred or so people who continue to complain about the fact that the series is dead will finally shut up about it.

Nyoro SF

Before they even try to do any shenanigans like this they would have to port the first two games to HD platforms to gauge interest. Otherwise you're taking a huge financial risk on an unknown market.

I actually wish Sega would create a Kickstarter for it. That way when it inevitably failed the hundred or so people who continue to complain about the fact that the series is dead will finally shut up about it.

Not our sharpest knife.

TheMan

I don't think the first two games were very popular beyond a small yet vocal minority. Even if by some miracle they managed to get an adequate budget via kickstarter, I doubt the game would sell very well.

lewisgone

The computer lab in my college still has up as fact that Shenmue was the most expensive videogame ever developed. Still funny every time I see it.

They also have a poster that says the 2 most popular browsers are Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator

mclem

Let's say there are 1 million Shenmue fans, who are each willing to pay $50 (basically the cost of buying the full game).

Let's also say that from glancing through a few high-profile Kickstarter projects, I've not seen one that gets more than 100k backers. Is Shenmue ten times more popular than Veronica Mars?

Fuck, make it a 3ds game for all I care. The graphics aren't that important, it's more about the gameplay, characters, and story for me.

"Shenmue 3: The Text Adventure"

(Actually, as an aside riffing on that: Would a novella concluding the story be adequate for you? That's a lot more viable)

mclem

Shenmue 3 would get ~5 million in kickstarter and another 5 to 10 million from post kickstarter funding. Sega can allocate 15-20 million from their own pocket and the budget would be a respectable ~30-40 million, more than enough for the type of game. I reckon Yakuza doesn't even have half of that.

So Sega are stumping up 15-20 million in the hope of selling to people who *didn't* pledge to the initial Kickstarter? I'm not quite sure that's good business sense.

Roto13

Because big companies like Sega should be ashamed of themselves for using crowdfunding. If they have a project they want to do, they should fund it themselves.

Because its budget is too big for Kickstarter anyway.

Because nobody gives a shit about Shenmue in the real world.

Because Shenmue sucks.

This is one of the cases in which I strongly believe that when people say "ALL DIS SHENMUE FAN", what they think is not the actual reality.

li bur

Nah shenmue fans need to look for funding from hedge fund or private equity firm. They got that kind of money.

LOL

Kickstarter takes 5%, Amazon takes 5%, Uncle Sam is taking at least 15% (its probably a lot more, but my 5 second google search turned up nothing), creating and shipping out rewards is going to be a percentage...

They would need to raise 100 million at a minimum IMO on Kickstarter to make Shenmue 3

Naw. Someone could make a good Shenmue sequel on a Yakuza budget using that same engine. Lengthy R&D in creating an open world game jacked that price up in the 90s. I know a sequel will never happen - I'm not one of those fans, but it would not cost $100 million. It could easily be done on a $20-$35 million budget.

ND2phDK.jpg

I'd love a Shenmue 3 but I must echo the "Let it go" statements.

Edit: Typo

I think diehard fans would be heartbroken by the results, sort of like the SK/Eternal Darkness kick starter. Vocal fanbase =/= large fanbase.

Kazerei

Banned
Does anyone know how much Shenmue II sold? For some reason my impression is that it bombed, but maybe that was just the Xbox version in North America.

The true reason is that no one wants to see the heartbreak as shenmue fans finally realize that there game isn't nearly as popular as they think it to be and come no where near the amount needed to fund it.

At least you'll always have dreams Shenmue fans.

(do note, I understand and sympathize... I'm never getting another Mega Man Legends title either)

I think diehard fans would be heartbroken by the results, sort of like the SK/Eternal Darkness kick starter. Vocal fanbase =/= large fanbase.

Thank you for phrasing what I wanted to say better than I did :)

Ensoul

I loved the game but just about nobody cares about shenmue beside a handful of dedicated fans. That was proven about 12 year when shenmue 2 came out and it flopped for the Xbox.

You're not getting $10+ million dollars from any Kickstarter that doesn't say "Final Fantasy VII remake" in the title. And to do a Shenmue sequel justice like people are expecting would require a GTA-sized budget.

BadAss2961

It really would cost way too much, even after Shenmue 3 would cost much less to make than its predecessors. Fans would gladly accept a modest engine at this point.

Sega would have to fund most of the project themselves, but I think if they asked for a portion of like $5 million, we could make that happen.

Why not just Kickstart an animated Shenmue film to tie up all the loose ends?

I'd be very much ok with this. Come on, just finish the goddamn story. Yu Suzuki said he had the entire story already planned out and everything. Shit, just release the story as a scrap book! I'll animate the damn thing myself if I have to.

I don't know anything about animation

Because big companies like Sega should be ashamed of themselves for using crowdfunding. If they have a project they want to do, they should fund it themselves.

Because its budget is too big for Kickstarter anyway.

Because nobody gives a shit about Shenmue in the real world.

Because Shenmue sucks.

Because Sega sucks too.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The fanbase for this game is nowhere near as large as the vocal few on GAF may lead you to believe.

mrpeabody

Here's what they should do. Figure out how much Shenmue they can make for, say, $1.5m, then run a Kickstarter for that. Because that's how much, realistically, they could raise.

This would be a really small Shenmue. Like, isometric 2d Shenmue on PC and tablets. But it would keep the name alive and would make money if scaled properly. And if the Kickstarter doesn't fund, well, I guess we found out how many Shenmue fans there are.

Ramenman

I think the truth is nobody wants to make this goddamn game.

The game dreamt about for so much time, sequel to a 14 year old game (ie : freaking dated in every aspect), pioneer only of things that nowadays have become utterly commonplace, or disliked, or irreplicable with today's production values and scale expectations (meaning you'd just look like you're doing what everyone else is doing but less good).

All of this only to be hated to death because you'd never live up to the fan's expectation.

Whatever the budget is for yakuza.
Since yakuza is basically what shenmue would become. Yet yakuza doesnt sell. Why arent all these shenmue fans buying yakuza?

I think the truth is nobody wants to make this goddamn game.

The game dreamt about for so much time, sequel to a 14 year old game (ie : freaking dated in every aspect), pioneer only of things that nowadays have become utterly commonplace, or disliked, or irreplicable with today's production values and scale expectations (meaning you'd just look like you're doing what everyone else is doing but less good).

All of this only to be hated to death because you'd never live up to the fan's expectation.

Sounds like the Nights sequel that everyone demanded for years, only to hate when it was actually a reality.

danwarb

It wouldn't be nearly as expensive as the original, because development then was spread across two very different platforms and involved creating tools from scratch to push a new system. It was a showcase. There are many similar games now. They could use source or UE or something. The story and dialogue exists hidden away somewhere?

Because it's a subpar game.

No you're a subpar game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom