• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is every game now putting time sensitive skins and FOMO content. It's pissing me off!

Rikoi

You clearly didn't read his post, mate. He isn't against working hard to get a skin, just against the idea that the skin is limited for a specific time frame.

OT: I am not a fan of FOMO in games. Let me earn it by playing the game and doing ever increasing challenges. Don't hide the skin, item, or event behind a very limited time-frame that may happen once or twice more in the lifespan of the game.

If I go and play FFXIV, I can still earn the raid set from Ivalice, years after it was relevant. I just have to put forth the effort to grind for it. I can't say the same for the unique skin in SMITE which was only available for a specific time frame back in Season 3.
Final Fantasy XIV also got seasonal stuff though, if you join the event you get them for free, if you want the stuff once the event is over you gotta buy them from the cash shop (if/when they put it up there).
Also it's a pay to play to game, so a different business model.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

It's the psychological trick of the fear of missing out. Gotta hurry before you'll be left behind!

Some games are decent at it because they're seasonal events and you know that if you can come back to it next year if you're still playing. But others are shit like Destiny 2, where they "vault" (disable content) and puts even more pressure on you to play/pay just to get the items or else you'll never see it again.

theclaw135

Banned
Locking DLC behind preorders is deplorable. It's content that is immediately discontinued upon the game's street date.
No waiting for a price drop, no getting a chance to borrow/rent the game to tell whether you like it, nothing.

I don't recall Gundam Versus' bonus mobile suits or the Secret of Mana remake's costumes being available anywhere else in the US.

Dontero

Banned
I really hate that trend.

It is basically tactic to make you log in into game daily/every once in while instead of playing in one go or in your pace so that your involvement will be spread out and do PR talking about game for developer.

Obvious answer then: Do not care about it and always send negative reviews. With enough people developers will have to sooner or later deal with discontent and bad reviews.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I’m more annoyed when I see ridiculous, flamboyant skins that have no business being in that games universe.

Pride flag skins on armor and guns don’t fit in the aesthetic of Halo, CoD, Gears etc... nothing more annoying in multiplayer to see someone with a florescent hot pink rifle skin that would never be on any real battlefield.
Oh man, this reminds me. Yesterday, when I played Dead by Daylight, one person got incredibly triggered at me for killing her, calling me "tunneler", which means that I chase one person more than others. I politely explained to him/her that wearing a bright purple dress with shiny earrings makes it easier to track her and kill her. Like seriously, you are mad at me for chasing you when you picked such an eye-catching dress? It is a "hide and seek" game and your idea is to wear bright purple AND complain I target you. Fucking nuts. The worst thing is that the person just kept messaging me "why did you chase me, there are other players" when I explained it 3 times, only on my 4th post when I went in depth about camouflage and the idea behind the game did the person finally stopped bothering me.

I really hate that trend.

It is basically tactic to make you log in into game daily/every once in while instead of playing in one go or in your pace so that your involvement will be spread out and do PR talking about game for developer.

Obvious answer then: Do not care about it and always send negative reviews. With enough people developers will have to sooner or later deal with discontent and bad reviews.

I don't mind it very much myself. It expands the number of cosmetics so less people look the same, which makes the game more interesting visually. It doesn't bother me that I "missed out" because there are other things in life to chase. If I really want some cool skin or something in a game then I have to keep tabs on it and jump in at the right moment. Looking at a twitter feed of my favorite game once a week for a minute doesn't cost me anything.

Last edited:
I consider skins, that can only be bought, as non-existant. Really helps your self-worth not going shopping like a little girl for her dress-up dolls.

Kagey K

Banned
I dint play games for that shit, if I miss them, I miss them, whatever.

Games are supposed to be fun, not a second job.

I have a friend who sets alarms on his fit bit, to tell him the exact second he’s back at full energy so he can grind Marvel Strike Force a little more. And no matter what he’s doing if that alarm goes off he’s on his phone for half an hour.

I can’t and won’t live my life like that. Games are for me to enjoy when I want to enjoy them.

If I miss shit in game so what? I probably got more out of my real life then the game was going to give me.

anothertech

Every fucking game...

1. Overwatch

2. Gears 5

3. Grand Theft Auto V

4. Fortnite

5. Destiny 2

and the list goes on and on... all these games with a service, bull fucking shit.

You can't get it anymore because you weren't there when it happened. It adds nothing.
Sure you might make a player special for being the only one, but holy fuck does it exclude many players going for it.

Example.

A newcomer comes into playing Destiny 2, he's your typical average consumer, trying it out because of Covid-19 got him locked in his house and he got nothing to do.
He flies into the main social hub (The Tower) and sees cool looking decked out armor.
He's like, holy fuck I want that. He asks around, how he can get that cool piece of armor.

Well, he can't because the game says, fuck you.

The player with it tells him, you can't get it. It was only available for this limited time period. You had to be awake during x amount of hours, doing this boring tedious shit, while being upside down and putting a controller up your ass and that's how you are rewarded with it. Since you miss out and its account locked you can't get it, EVER!

The newcomer is disappointed, no amount of effort, skill, or even money can reward him for the content that he going after.
This adds nothing. No goal to be set. Nothing. You get NOTHING!

Now, what if the content wasn't time-sensitive the conversation would be different.

The newcomer can ask, "Oh sweet, where did you get the armor piece", then the player with it can be like, dude, you gotta go to this hidden fucking dungeon and shoot out this motherfuckin' boss, I CAN SHOW YOU and help you out.
See now this alternate way builds community.

None of that time-sensitive shit.
All this time-sensitive bullshit just further fuels people buying and selling accounts with skins. It perpetuates further bullshit.

I wish games with seasons can go fuck off.
We are reaching Farmville levels of timely check-ins.

Remember when games never punished you or dictated you when you should play and all the content was there when you came to it and you looked forward to updates that brought even more new content.
With all this FOMO shit, you have players coming in and doing tedious, boring, repetitive grind of missions. You got dailies for fucks sake in a game, it sounds like a fucking chore.
Ah shit, I got to fucking, like shoot 999 enemies with this shitty gun I don't like using to get this really cool armor piece. Motherfucker. All these dailies and weeklies it's brain dead chores.

This is why I love completed masterpieces. No piecemeal games, No Bullshit.

Every game needs to be like Cyber Punk 2077.
Be a respectful developer and whatever game you buy be it the first adopter or even latecomer, the content is always there. Nothing gets removed and no one gets punished.

Fuck FOMO in games. Fuck you Blizzard, you piece of fucking shit. Die!

/rant over.
This is assuming Destiny even let's you chat with other players..

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Why are they doing it now? And you're complaining about Blizzard? There's been FOMO content in WoW going back 16 years mate. The whole point is that you're rewarded for being there at the time. If not, oh well.

You shouldn't be able to do/get absolutely every little thing in every multiplayer game without playing it every single day, otherwise none of it is special.

Kagey K

Banned
Why are they doing it now? And you're complaining about Blizzard? There's been FOMO content in WoW going back 16 years mate. The whole point is that you're rewarded for being there at the time. If not, oh well.

You shouldn't be able to do/get absolutely every little thing in every multiplayer game without playing it every single day, otherwise none of it is special.
Even if you do play it and show up for it,is any of it really special?

Paasei

I'm still upset that I missed my disco ball charm in R6 Siege....

If you are too late to the party it's better to just skip the game entirely. You won't be able to keep up. GTA V is a perfect example.
Even WoW with all of its catch up mechanisms will still take you ages. Good luck getting into a M+ if your 3rd party website rating isn't high enough.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

See while those guys are up late getting that sweet rare piece of armour in destiny 2

Other people are out looking for that sweet rare piece of ass in real life.

You choose your path

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Even if you do play it and show up for it,is any of it really special?

Depends what it is, but some of it, absolutely. If you saw a guy with the "Scarab Lord" title next to his name walking around in WoW you knew he was the business.

royox

I love this kind of exclusive stuff some MMO's do, give the players that got it a real feeling of having something exclusive and new players will have their chances of getting some other thing in another event.

Rikkori

They make more money this way. There's a lot of people that would feel like you do except they don't want to so they pony up the moolah instead.

Vindicator

Still sitting on 1000 silver in Destiny 2, due to double-dipping Shadowkeep, there's some really nice stuff in Eververse but I'm unwilling to support that.

VN1X

Banned
Happily supported the Devs but not anymore tho, done my part. At least (selected) Tennogen stuff could be bought with plat on PS4.
Yeah put it over 600 hours and spent around 180eu I believe so far (that's including the Rhino statue I bought from their store though). Happily supported them as well as I absolutely fell in love with the game. However ever since the Kuva Lich update I fell off the bandwagon hard. I genuinely wanted to offer them money in order to get that shit erased from my game lol (it's such an infuriating system, but I believe they've somewhat fixed it since then). I haven't logged on since and the Lich has probably infected my entire star system but I just can't be bothered. I was very hyped for the Railjack update but that too ended up being a non-event, especially for solo players.

So yeah I'm a bit bummed out due to missing out on all the other good stuff (and now Inaros Prime) but I'm going to continue this Warframe break for another few months I reckon and jump in 'fresh' at the end of the year maybe.

Last edited:

zombrex

I hate this so much and personally it just leads to me not bothering to buy the game if i feel I have missed out on too much. I did not buy Hitman because of that stupid elusive target mode for example which is even worse because you lose access to both unlocks and the content itself.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Time sensitive offers are an age old, super effective marketing trick at getting more people to buy. Once you know somethings limited, you don't think twice too much and just bite in case you might regret later. It also gets people coming back once they've lost interest in the game. Very predatory, and games like these shouldn't be supported. If you enjoy playing it keep playing but DO . NOT . BUY.

Last edited:

SCB3

To be fair, Destiny 2 is going back on it somewhat in September

You also missed a really bad offender for this:

Fallout 76

CuNi

I am torn between it.
I don't like it when it's things that affect gameplay in a meaningful way like OP Weapons/Gear/Items whatever.
Cosmetic things, like specially skinned weapons, Character Skins/Outfits, special looking gear etc. are totally okay for me.
I even prefer it that way, because it gives me a meaningful reason to get them.

If they are tied to special in-game events, like for example the themed Season in Destiny 2, then I totally get it. I'd obviously wish for D2 to introduce transmog like WoW has it since sunsetting is going to be a thing soon, but I actually like having gear that only people have that played during specific season and earned it. It does not give me a gameplay advantage in any way but shows that my Character has been around the world longer than new players etc. and I can reflect that with Looks. I don't want people to join a game 3 years in and basically just get all the gear/weapons etc. handed to them.

I’m not exonerating devs here but you seriously need to get rid of FOMO disease. It’s cancer. Just play the games for fun and relax.

levyjl1988

Banned
47qh4x.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Final Fantasy XIV also got seasonal stuff though, if you join the event you get them for free, if you want the stuff once the event is over you gotta buy them from the cash shop (if/when they put it up there).
Also it's a pay to play to game, so a different business model.

You are correct, which is one of the few issues I have with FFXIV. However, even with its buisness model, we can see the same thing happen across the board. WoW does this. Games you pay 60 dollars for like AC Odyssey do this as well. Its frustrating.

How about not caring this much about dumb, optional skins?

They showed up, you didn't, they got a souvenir. That's part of what makes it special. You need to deal with made-up mental illnesses like 'FOMO' instead of demanding everything serve you.
This, I started to enjoy games more when I got the right mindset behind it. Fuck being a slave of the clock on games. We are already slaves of the clock in our daily lives. Videogames are my escapism to all of this.

Atelier Ryza did this in a big way, there was a costume for people who bought the preorders/early that are no longer accessible, even when buying the deluxe edition. It's ridiculous.

Top Bottom