• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Excitetruck so DAMN AWESOME?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just unlocked Super Excite mode for racing...this is probably my most surprised game with the Wii. I absolutely didn't care about this game when it was announced at E3 and still didn't care for it...until I finally played it. Just WOW. Anyone else think this game is great? It's easy to get into thanks to the controls but if you want to really get 100% completion, it can be pretty challenging but fun. This game is like SSX on wheels. Pure awesomeness

Probably my favorite Wii game.

Oh shit, there's a 5th cup in Super Excite mode

JUST ****ING WOW

Scenester

I can believe this game is awesome. Is it not the spiritual sequel to Excitebike? Its a pity us PAL territories dont have it at launch. Oh well, we get Wii play :D

masud

Banned
Yeah screw the haters this game is awsome. Very solid arcade racer. I hope they up the presentation and add online for the sequal.

robot

Rented based on some positive impressions on the board, but I didn't like it too much. Got pretty boring after a few hours, and wasnt too crazy about the controls (too loose). I liked the changing terrain though.

Wario64 said:
JUST ****ING WOW

My brother got a Wii for his 6 year old sun. Excite truck screams I'm a game from 2001 with substandard controls, but I do see people having fun with it. I enjoyed Wii bowling much more.

gururoji

My first thought was honestly "I'm not so sure about this". The controls don't feel super "tight". But after spending a little time with it, I was really enjoying it. I really hope they make a sequel to this and polish it up.

Rushmore

Considering that it's an arcade style off-road game with mile high jumps, I don't understand anyone being surpised at how "loose" the controls are. I suggest staying away from Sega Rally and Rallisport if you think Excite Truck is too loose.

masud

Banned
sonycowboy said:
My brother got a Wii for his 6 year old sun. Excite truck screams I'm a game from 2001 with substandard controls, but I do see people having fun with it. I enjoyed Wii bowling much more.
See

I happen to agree, this game is a blast! I don't think the people who reviewed this game are fans of arcade style racers. The reviews were too overly critical of the controls (which I think are fine), and lack of online play (not essential). :)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Mister Chef said:
Game looks like a bad Dreamcast port IMO

HAHAHAHAHAHA! UR SO FUNY!

Have you even played the game or seen it in person? There are some great effects going on in that game that aren't even remotely possible on the DC. You make both yourself and real DC fans look like fools when you say shit like that.

Btw, sticking IMO at the end of a post doesn't make it less of a troll.

Tiktaalik

I've played it twice, once at a friend's house and once at an EB kiosk. I don't know, it doesn't seem that great to me. Ignoring the horrid music, there are still major faults. The gameplay doesn't seem to have much depth. Part way through playing a level at EB I was getting sort of bored, wondering when the lap was going to end. I don't think that's ever happened to me in a racing game before. Maybe because it seemed like the other trucks didn't matter. A lot of the time I was flying around and I didn't even know where they were.

My other issue is that often there isn't a good representation of where the boundries of the level are. Often I'd drift to one side and think maybe I could cut across somewhere, but suddenly a barrier would appear and stop me cold in my tracks.

masud

Banned
I'm convinced that anyone that dislikes the controls hasn’t played it for long. They do take some getting used to but the controls work very well.

Zaxxon said:
I've played it twice, once at a friend's house and once at an EB kiosk. I don't know, it doesn't seem that great to me. Ignoring the horrid music, there are still major faults. The gameplay doesn't seem to have much depth. Part way through playing a level at EB I was getting sort of bored, wondering when the lap was going to end. I don't think that's ever happened to me in a racing game before. Maybe because it seemed like the other trucks didn't matter. A lot of the time I was flying around and I didn't even know where they were.

My other issue is that often there isn't a good representation of where the boundries of the level are. Often I'd drift to one side and think maybe I could cut across somewhere, but suddenly a barrier would appear and stop me cold in my tracks.
Sums up my feelings. Seemed like the definition of a generic racing title with a tilting controller. I SAID MEH

Andy787

Banned
EXCITE TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EXCITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EXCITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
PantherLotus said:
HAHAHAHAHAHA! UR SO FUNY!

Have you even played the game or seen it in person? There are some great effects going on in that game that aren't even remotely possible on the DC. You make both yourself and real DC fans look like fools when you say shit like that.

Btw, sticking IMO at the end of a post doesn't make it less of a troll.

I'll be honest, as an owner of the game who actually enjoys it - it's ugly. Not even "It doesn't use bump mapping and a million particle effects!" ugly. It's just got a very unpolished, barebones feel to the whole thing. I love playing it, but it's visually on par with first gen GameCube games.

Tiktaalik

Oh also when I was at EB when the guy handed me the Wiimote to play the game I said, "Thanks. I'm really excited to play."

I don't think he was listening though :(

Stench

Banned
Andy787 said:
EXCITE TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
imagewrestlermd9.gif

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Andy787 said:
EXCITE TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EXCITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EXCITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AGREE WITH THIS POSTER

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Campster said:
I'll be honest, as an owner of the game who actually enjoys it - it's ugly. Not even "It doesn't use bump mapping and a million particle effects!" ugly. It's just got a very unpolished, barebones feel to the whole thing. I love playing it, but it's visually on par with first gen GameCube games.

But here's the thing you can say that like you said and back up your statement a little bit -- although you're wrong that the GC could perform this way with first gen games. I've played this for MAYBE 6 hours total (at the store) and I'm telling you that shit isn't possible on the GC. The water, the sight distance, the frame rate...that's some stuff going on there. I totally agree that its an "ugly" game, with a palette of mostly browns and greens...but the water looks amazing.

But comparing it to "a bad dreamcast port"? That's just being stupid, and you and the person who said it know that.

Mr Toast

Because of some weird colour association Ive noticed between EXCITE TRUCK! and ghost recon, I keep thinking this game should have been called EXCITE TRUCK: ISLAND THUNDER.

The only thing missing is commies on the beach.

The game actually has more depth than I first thought. The boost when landing properly, the jump boost, the trick system, the fact that your engine doesn't heat up when driving through water and so on.....it's totally great to have an '90s-style arcade racer this generation.

EXCITE TRUCK.

Stitchy

I spent about 1/2 an hour with this game on Sunday and I've come to a few conclusions.

I liked Burnout a lot more than this title.

The crash sequences are not really impressive.

I love the control scheme for tilting/gliding.

I will buy Excitetruck 2 on the release date. I'll pick this one up when it becomes a Player's Choice.

Bebpo

Banned
PantherLotus said:
But here's the thing you can say that like you said and back up your statement a little bit -- although you're wrong that the GC could perform this way with first gen games. I've played this for MAYBE 6 hours total (at the store) and I'm telling you that shit isn't possible on the GC. The water, the sight distance, the frame rate...that's some stuff going on there. I totally agree that its an "ugly" game, with a palette of mostly browns and greens...but the water looks amazing.

But comparing it to "a bad dreamcast port"? That's just being stupid, and you and the person who said it know that.

I agree with the other two guys. Out of the 5 Wii games I own (not counting Wii sports) it's by far the worst looking game and it looks a hell of a lot worse than F-Zero GX on GC or even Rallisport 2 on Xbox. It looks closest to Sega Rally 2006 on PS2.

You might be able to say the gameplay is good in ET, but you really can't defend the graphics. They are piss-poor considering the Wii's specs.

Amir0x

Banned
Bebpo said:
I agree with the other two guys. Out of the 5 Wii games I own (not counting Wii sports) it's by far the worst looking game and it looks a hell of a lot worse than F-Zero GX on GC or even Rallisport 2 on Xbox. It looks closest to Sega Rally 2006 on PS2.

You might be able to say the gameplay is good in ET, but you really can't defend the graphics. They are piss-poor considering the Wii's specs.

Yup. F-Zero GX >>>>>>>> Excite Truck AND at 60fps. Burnout Revenge, on PS2, looks better than Excite Truck AND 60fps.

Leatherface

I actually love Excite Truck as well. I think the IGN review was pretty dead on. It's not very deep but if your a fan of Burnout/San Fransisco Rush you will like this game alot.

I agree with the posters here who can appreciate a good arcade racer. It's really the first off road racer since the original Sega Rally to catch my attention.

Honestly, when I first tried it, I was a bit disappointed. But once I got used to the controls (love them now) and really got into the meat of the game, I realized how much each race has to it. The game's trick system, the drifting, turbo jumps, landing boosts, managing your turbo/heat, and the terramorphing feature all make for an incredible fun and deceptively deep title. Plus, the sense of speed is great.

No online hurts, but this is a great multiplayer game for a system launch. My friends and I are loving it. I just wish they threw in more options such as cpu opponants, 4 PLAYERS, LAN PLAY, and the option to just have a pure race to the finish.

The game definitely deserves a sequel addressing these issues.

As far as the graphics, I think you people are being overly harsh. It looks great on an SDTV. If you think about things like the wide open courses, impressive views (especially when in the air) and the awesome water, you see where alot of the hardware power went. Comparing it to F-Zero, a game with extremely tight tracks and a decidedly neon color pallette, is not fair. Two different styles entirely - although, yeah, they need to prioritize 60fps in the sequel and put some effort into the crash sequences.

Overall, this game is just alot of pure fun. I can't wait to get that $15 Kingston SD in the mail so I can rid my ears of the generic riffing though. :)

fallout

Wario64 said:
Just unlocked Super Excite mode for racing...this is probably my most surprised game with the Wii. I absolutely didn't care about this game when it was announced at E3 and still didn't care for it...until I finally played it. Just WOW. Anyone else think this game is great? It's easy to get into thanks to the controls but if you want to really get 100% completion, it can be pretty challenging but fun. This game is like SSX on wheels. Pure awesomeness

Probably my favorite Wii game.

Oh shit, there's a 5th cup in Super Excite mode

JUST ****ING WOW
Why are you travelling down this road? I like your posts. :(

Mar

Andy787 said:

Funniest post will LOL again AA++++

Excite Truck is a great arcade racer and my second-favorite Wii launch title so far (after Zelda, of course). Yeah, the soundtrack is terrible and multiplayer is way too limited, but the single-player game is pure adrenaline and is much longer than it initially seems. The controls do take a while to learn, and after a few days of not playing, I had to spend some time just readjusting to the steering. It helps a lot to experiment with different vehicles and fine one that suits your playing style.

Excite truck is damn fun, and once you become tuned to the controlls its F'n Awesome!! Haters be damned sign me up for the Excite Truck Defense Force!

Top Bottom