• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Excitetruck so DAMN AWESOME?

tmaynard

Excite Truck rules, I think it's my favorite racing engine. If it would beef up some of it's features in a sequel I think it would be the best racer ever. A lot of fun!

Rushmore

Excite Truck is fun for what it is but disappointing in the sense that it's easy to imagine what it could be. Personally, I'd like to see a proper sequel to Excitebike 64.

jko

Bebpo said:
I agree with the other two guys. Out of the 5 Wii games I own (not counting Wii sports) it's by far the worst looking game and it looks a hell of a lot worse than F-Zero GX on GC or even Rallisport 2 on Xbox. It looks closest to Sega Rally 2006 on PS2.

You might be able to say the gameplay is good in ET, but you really can't defend the graphics. They are piss-poor considering the Wii's specs.
yup, i popped in F-Zero GX in the Wii right after playing ET, and I thought I was looking at a game next-gen up.

Excite Truck is pretty fun for what it is, an arcade style racer. Like other people have said, fixing some of the issues (hard to determine what's a path and what isn't, 4 player, online, etc.) for the sequel means a definite buy for me.

AdmiralViscen said:
This game is ****ing awesome.

I still don't have SuperExcite unlocked (so many games..), is it a lot better? Describe plz.

Don't want that to be missed.

Am I the only one who thinks this game feels a bit like Hydro Thunder?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
sonycowboy said:
My brother got a Wii for his 6 year old sun. Excite truck screams I'm a game from 2001 with substandard controls, but I do see people having fun with it. I enjoyed Wii bowling much more.

Is your brother creating small galaxies in his living room?

I'm in the same boat with others in that I felt the game wasn't that good...at first. But, after my friends starting playing and pulling off these awesome turbo boost and insane air, I had to try again. The game really grows on you and now I love the controls and the difficulty level is just right...and later on in the game it's very challenging to complete the courses with an "S" Ranking. The game has way more depth than many people here are giving it, and the tracks are simply fun to play. Honestly, this game has gotten the most play from my friends and me, besides Zelda. If you're on the fence, definitely check it out! An hour or two in I think you'll come to love it.

denial.jpg

Dragmire

Craig Majaski said:
I'm in the same boat with others in that I felt the game wasn't that good...at first. But, after my friends starting playing and pulling off these awesome turbo boost and insane air, I had to try again. The game really grows on you and now I love the controls and the difficulty level is just right...and later on in the game it's very challenging to complete the courses with an "S" Ranking. The game has way more depth than many people here are giving it, and the tracks are simply fun to play. Honestly, this game has gotten the most play from my friends and me, besides Zelda. If you're on the fence, definitely check it out! An hour or two in I think you'll come to love it.
Yes! This is a game that grows on you. I didn't care for it at first, either, but watching my friend play it made me want to try it again. It has a lot more depth than it looks like at first, and it's ****in fun. It definitely surprised me.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
AdmiralViscen said:
This game is ****ing awesome.

I still don't have SuperExcite unlocked (so many games..), is it a lot better? Describe plz.

I havent tried it yet, I just unlocked it after going for S-ranks. Might be an increase in stars though? The first track required 80 stars. There's a new cup too. I'll try it out tomorrow

Wow, like a lot of you I hated this game at first. For some reason I couldn't get past the controls at first, although in retrospect I'm in love with them. It didn't take long for me to like them, maybe an hour or two. The tutorials were rough on me haha, thats probably why I hated the game at first.

We NEED an Excite Truck 2 with Wi-Fi, LAN for 4 player multi and particulary 1 v 1 on two tv multiplayer so their isn't any slowdown in the FPS, and more potential tricks.

Speaking of tricks, is their only one type of trick you can do in the game? I've only figured out the 360 one where you hold down a turbo button and 1 and flip the controller up.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Concerning tricks, complete the rest of the tutorials to figure out the other stunts. For air stunts, I think the spins are the only unique stunts you can do in mid air. Then there's other ones like doing a tree run (driving through trees without hitting anything)

My favorite way to get stars quickly is to use a strong truck and ram other trucks like you're playing Burnout :)

renvi

Banned
You sire have real bad taste.
I played this game at my local EB for 15 mins.
My impression about game is it's totally piece of shit.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
renvi said:

Well damn I guess you're right. Wario64 am part of the problem.

Super Excite is actually longer than Excite mode, and there are ten new vehicles to unlock. There's also a Diamond cup which has a new environment (!!!) and supposedly a new song that doesn't blow goats. I haven't gotten to it yet. The bronze through platinum cups have more difficult paths through the standard environments and higher star requirements, plus the AI is much tougher to beat.

You can win a lot of stars by hitting the POW symbols and weaving through heavily wooded areas nearby. Rings are also an easy pickup if you have the right truck. But my favorite method, as someone else mentioned, is to slam into the opponents at every opportunity. With any heavy vehicle, you can get a free Super Truck Smash at the beginning of any race by holding down gas + turbo and veering hard left at the starting line. Also, if you ever get a POW item and elect to stay on the main path, you can barrel through multiple vehicles for automatic Super Truck Smashes.

renvi said:

Yea, 15 minutes gives you the right to downplay the opinions of owners.

To me it's a bare-bones game, but what it offers is great driving mechanics. The tilting, especially in mid-air, is great fun and the sense of speed is terrific. There's just not enough to it IMO.

renvi

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Yea, 15 minutes gives you the right to downplay the opinions of owners.
What kind of game you think Excite Truck is? 15 mins is way enough to determain a whether a racing game is good or not.

Dragmire

renvi said:
I congratulate you on your wonderful satire.

Vyer

The demo bored me.

If I get a chance to rent it or something I'd still like to put more time in with it. I'm not that big on racers (except maybe Burnout) so I can't bring myself to commit to an actual purchase.

amodf

I thought I hated it and it was dumb dumb crap when I played it at gamestop store.

When I played it at home I thought it was actually really quite fun and had a good degree of technique to its sillyness.

I think it is a much better game than most Wii launch games and is quite fun. I like that there's a good deal of freedom in whether or not to race for winning and victory!!! and just running into jerks and driving around trees.

I have also only played it while drunk, but still think - if only as a game to be enjoyed inebriated - that it is quite fun, and a good deal more better than the rest of the launch games not called Zelda or Trauma Center.

Model 500

Excite Truck is a great racer with lots of "hidden" depth that some people here have totally missed...anyone struggling with the controls has no idea about the game at all. The track design works also on many levels, but yeah, what's the point, some people just don't care.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
played today

i expected turd sandwich and got EXCITE TRUCKING.

I enjoyed it and will play it again - glad i picked it up.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
can you download demos from the wii store? No idea why but this game leaves me cold (perhaps the general lack of good racers on Nintendo platforms apart from MKs), but I'd be curious to try it out.

I played through the first three circuits and I've enjoyed it. The control takes adjustment but it didn't take too long for me to feel comfortable with it. There is some depth to it too in trying to rack up stars in various ways. It's pretty average looking but at least it's 480p widescreen and has a good sense of speed. I'm happy I got it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
renvi said:
What kind of game you think Excite Truck is? 15 mins is way enough to determain a whether a racing game is good or not.

I didn't like the demo, then I bought the game and played through the tutorial where I learned the tricks to landing, boosting off jumps, stunts, etc.

The game rocks. His opinion > someone who played a 15 minute demo.

renvi said:

I called you out for crapping on his difference of taste as much as your rushed impressions.

As for the rushed impressions:

I'm in the same boat with others in that I felt the game wasn't that good...at first. But, after my friends starting playing and pulling off these awesome turbo boost and insane air, I had to try again. The game really grows on you and now I love the controls and the difficulty level is just right...

Yes! This is a game that grows on you. I didn't care for it at first, either, but watching my friend play it made me want to try it again. It has a lot more depth than it looks like at first, and it's ****in fun. It definitely surprised me.

I thought I hated it and it was dumb dumb crap when I played it at gamestop store.

When I played it at home I thought it was actually really quite fun and had a good degree of technique to its sillyness.

Wow, like a lot of you I hated this game at first. For some reason I couldn't get past the controls at first, although in retrospect I'm in love with them. It didn't take long for me to like them, maybe an hour or two. The tutorials were rough on me haha, thats probably why I hated the game at first.

I didn't like the demo, then I bought the game and played through the tutorial where I learned the tricks to landing, boosting off jumps, stunts, etc.

The game rocks. His opinion > someone who played a 15 minute demo.

And that's just from page2.

Not to mention all the unlockables, and the heft of Super Excite mode.

dante786

Banned
renvi said:

I dunno man, I played it at a gamestop too and came away totally meh and unimpressed. After playing it at a friends dorm a week later, I found for some reason I had a lot of fun with it, and will almost certainly be picking it up when I finally manage to find a Wii. The second time around I just had a lot of fun with it, controlling the truck, boosting and jumping just felt good, it was fun....simple as that for me. Obviously you're entitled to your own opinion, just throwin in my two cents.

Furoba

jarrod said:
Preferably from EAD or (in a pinch) AV or AM2. No NST thnx.

4-8 player online matches, custom paint logo's, and dolphins that attack you if you go beyond the buoys would be nice too. :lol

Excitetruck 2 needs online though...

Model 500

Fredrik said:
30? What a bummer. But I might pick it up anyway, sounds like fun.

I'd say it's closer to 40 than 30, but I've no official numbers. I was very surprised it wasn't 60 when I played it myself for the first time. Still, excellent game :)

This thread seemed sarcasm at first, and some people seemed to be playing along, thinking the OP was not being serious. But now it turns out people are for real after all? Maybe it is a good game then after all.

sammy

i've enjoyed it so far.... but it is in the wake of Zelda ----------- i'll come back later, with fo-real impressions....

Top Bottom