• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Excitetruck so DAMN AWESOME?

thatbox

Banned
Are you guys using some code to render trees insubstantial or something? I've gotten decent at the game so I'm not hitting trees every three seconds like I was in the beginning, but coming down from a couple hundred meters and brushing up against a sapling JAM A JAM A JAM A is sort of a buzz killer.

How come I can't do barrel rolls or flips? I think driving might feel more natural if you could rotate the controller left and right instead of up and down, and this way you'd have an access for both kinds of spins.

But perhaps most annoyingly, why is it like nine seconds from when I see all the trucks lined up to when I can actually GO GO GO. I'm all set up and ready to play and I gun the gas only to realize that that was just the first series of starting gate noises and I really need to wait four or five more seconds.

Unison

What?! Tree runs are the easiest stunt in the game, imo. I have no clue why you're having trouble with them.

Maybe you just need more practice.

thatbox

Banned
Unison said:
What?! Tree runs are the easiest stunt in the game, imo. I have no clue why you're having trouble with them.

Maybe you just need more practice.

I'm not complaining about voluntary tree runs! It's just uncharacteristically jarring when hitting a tree instastops you given the rest of the exciting nature of the game.

Unison

thatbox said:
I'm not complaining about voluntary tree runs! It's just uncharacteristically jarring when hitting a tree instastops you given the rest of the exciting nature of the game.

Hitting a tree generally stops a truck.

Unless you pick up a POW, of course. :D

thatbox

Banned
Unison said:
Hitting a tree generally stops a truck.

Unless you pick up a POW, of course. :D

Yeah, it does, but I just came down from three miles up having completed a 720 following ramming two other trucks off a cliff I created by hitting a floating icon. I'll trade some realism for more tree-resistant trucks ;_;

Zer0

Banned
Kevtones said:
Go back to gamefaqs lamer or play the game. GAME IS FUN AS HELL.

i love when freaks get so defensive about a mediocre product..have u done some work on the game? lol

Defcon

Banned
Zer0 said:
i love when freaks get so defensive about a mediocre product..have u done some work on the game? lol

Have you even played it for longer than 10 mins? It's far from mediocre.

Zer0 said:

You still haven't responded to what people said to you the last time you came in to make negative remarks.

i wonder why

SpoDaddy

Tonight I was able to put a solid hour of playtime into this, and I have to say I'm falling in love with it. I adored the original Excitebike and Excitebike 64, so when I heard about Excite Truck I was scared. Trucks don't handle like dirtbikes, after all.

Except in this game, they do. And it's fantastic. This is pure old-school gaming, where the point is to just do as much crazy shit as possible for points. Launch yourself 300 ft. in the air, weave through trees and cars Burnout-style, turn trees into mulch, turn other trucks into mulch; if it's fun it earns you points. The tilt controls become second nature very quickly, and at this point feel far more natural than working my thumb on an analog stick to drive. When I'm driving my car in real life I don't think about turning the wheel most of the time, I think about turning and I turn. That's what this feels like. The tilting to land properly also feels great; again, this is an Excite Bike game in terms of gameplay. There is no story to be found anywhere to explain it all and I find that refreshing.

This reminds me of those early-90's shareware PC games that you play for weeks just because it's so fun to drive around the environments; getting the full version to insert purpose into the game felt anticlimactic.

The graphics have grown on me; they're certainly not next-gen graphics, but the real-time terraforming environments and smooth framerates are very appealing (as is the great sense of speed). This isn't a game you play for it's graphics though. This isn't a game for everyone; if you like story and structure in your games you'll hate this. If you don't like arcade racers you'll hate this. But if you're the kind of person that would trade a thousand EA racers for a true sequel to Rush 2049 then you need this game.

I haven't played the Wii yet. But this thing about not marking boundaries. I kinda feel that this is how a truck race would be. Out in the middle of some desert. You would get lost, and a feeling of vast landscape is only natural to this calibre of racing. I think a sequel should keep this concept. So i could be chatting utter crap since i ain't played it. I suppose you'd have a map or something, but nothing too easy, where it says exactly where to go.

Nozi

Banned
Excitetruck is by far my favorite Wii game. 2 player is incredibly fun.. I don't know why this game was bashed by the media.

AniHawk

Opened up Super Excite Mode last night and have worked my way up to Platinum on that. Too bad those trophies don't count for shit, but it's a pretty fun little game.

AniHawk said:
Opened up Super Excite Mode last night and have worked my way up to Platinum on that. Too bad those trophies don't count for shit, but it's a pretty fun little game.
My most played Wii launch game. Fantastic in every sense. Even the 2-player is intense.

AniHawk

evilromero said:
My most played Wii launch game. Fantastic in every sense. Even the 2-player is intense.

It's my most played aside from Zelda. It's too bad these guys weren't given a longer development time because it could've been far better.

Once I open and beat Diamond, I'll probably start on SMB:BB. It's the only launch game I really haven't played at all (since launch).

Custom soundtrack works just fine, reads mp3s straight off the SD card. I believe just hit + at the beginning of the track and you can change your sound options there to use the SD card music. The only limitation for me is that the music must only be .mp3 format , otherwise its pretty cool! :)

Okay, looks like there is lots of cool stuff to unlock.

Crystal Road, (Crazy) Monster Truck, Mirror Races, Paint jobs and stuff

Can't wait until it hits Uropp!

:Motorbass said:
Okay, looks like there is lots of cool stuff to unlock.

Crystal Road, (Crazy) Monster Truck, Mirror Races, Paint jobs and stuff

Can't wait until it hits Uropp!
That track is truly insane. Reminds me of level straight out of Metroid.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
allarise said:
errr... looking for a racing game to play with Dad over the holidays on the Wii.

is this my best bet?

Yes, buy it. You really have no choice though since the other racing games on Wii are kinda crappy. Good thing Excitetruck is not.

evilromero said:
My friends and I have been playing it every weekend since launch trying to unlock everything in the game, the game is so damn addicting. We finally reached Super Excite mode last weekend and started unlocking
all the new trucks.
I hope they make a sequel to this, there is so much they could add to make it even better then it is now.

Japan release date 2007/01/18

Official site opened
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rexj/index.html
main01.jpg

2DMention

Banned
Indeed, a very fun and addicting game. May be a little shallow, but I don't care. I'm enjoying this game. Has anybody used the steering wheel thats boxed with those other games or sold separately for this?

AirBrian

I've gotten some good time in on this game now. I'm in love. I just finished getting S rankings on Bronze, Silver, and Gold, and I'm working on Platinum now. The one level in Gold with the tornado ****ing rocks!

2DMention said:
Indeed, a very fun and addicting game. May be a little shallow, but I don't care. I'm enjoying this game. Has anybody used the steering wheel thats boxed with those other games or sold separately for this?

That plastic steering wheel thing wouldn't do much good in Excite Truck, because the way it attaches to the remote assumes you are twisting the controller around a different axis. The Ubisoft games use a different tilt axis from ET. Should be customizable, IMO.

f@luS

More than a member.
stupid questions guys , is ur excite truck multi languages for the booklet and the box art?

thx

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That plastic steering wheel thing wouldn't do much good in Excite Truck, because the way it attaches to the remote assumes you are twisting the controller around a different axis. The Ubisoft games use a different tilt axis from ET. Should be customizable, IMO.

Holding the remote with the horizontal axis of the remote in the vertical position works in excite truck too. Should work with theh wheel thing.

Pimpbaa

I picked it up the other day, took a chance considering the mixed reviews. I am enjoying it a great deal. The graphics are pretty good considering the draw distance. I'm convinced that Far Cry for Wii was programmed by drunk mentally challenged monkeys (no reason why it could have not looked just as good if not better than excite truck).

This game is really fun, period. It's just pure gameplay, pure adrenaline. I beat all the races on Excite, I'm working on getting S ranks on all of them now. I like the old school gameplay mechanics such as memorizing the hell out of the levels so you know the right route to get the most points on.

f@luS

More than a member.
VultureDude said:
in canada the back of the box has french, english and spanish... that's a first i think... :lol

i wonder if airbrian isnt french too ? coz on ebay i see the same as mine only (with the 3 languages

f@luS

More than a member.
well , just played it a bit.

great so far, fun , but kinda hard.

btw , i head it was 60fps...Its not 60fps at all , kinda look 25-30

AirBrian

f@luS said:
i wonder if airbrian isnt french too ? coz on ebay i see the same as mine only (with the 3 languages
Oh crap, you're right. The instruction book and case have English, Spanish, and French. And I'm in the US.

japtor

Jonnyboy117 said:
from what ive noticed its just in relation to gravity, so it would be fine if you hold the wheel/remote vertically (buttons facing you, rather than up). hard flicks (like for spins) seem to work on any axis.
VultureDude said:
in canada the back of the box has french, english and spanish... that's a first i think... :lol
donkey konga had a manual/box like that, along with jungle beat i think. i remember being annoyed at how thick the manuals were.
f@luS said:
btw , i head it was 60fps...Its not 60fps at all , kinda look 25-30
it does get 60 here and there, but doesnt seem to dip below 30 (barring some insane points where i cant tell what the hell is happening anyways). for the most part it seems to hover a little above 30, like somewhere in the 40s. the thing is it doesnt do vsync, so instead of jumping between 30-60 constantly, it does whatever the hell it wants. i view it as vsync not being EXCITE enough to handle the game. after suffering from outrun 2 on psp i have no problem with the framerate here, the crazy framerate and tearing just makes it more EXCITE..

as for custom music, it works fine, just gotta remember to select the music first (kind of annoying, but you get used to it, and it remembers each song for each track). this song is what i use most when i need an edge. its particularly suited to the truck smash challenge i guess, but i use it for everything.

f@luS

More than a member.
yeah but i though it was 60 i was a little shocked at first but its hella fun.

but im very bad , i mean i can finish all the race 1st , and have the amount of stars needed but....its ugly to watch me drive...

anyway , the worst framerate is at the start imho...too bad i dont get why most of wii games get shitty IQ/framerate when gc had the best....i mean , fzero GX is tons better looking than excite truck while beeing at 60fps

if you want to know why i asked for the languages , because im living in EU , and i bought my Wii us + Excite & zelda bundle on ebay , but the ticket was a walmart half english half spanish so i was wondering :eek:

My excite has the box art and manual in 3 languages , my zelda got box art also multi but booklet is only english , and my wiisport sticker is 3 languages too (on the wii box)

This thread surprises me. I've been avoiding this game because of the poor reviews and general negative attitude toward it, but it seems there might be something worthwhile here. I'll definately check it out.

And as others have said, this thread makes me wonder if most of the reviewers actually played the game. Perhaps it's one of those "I've got 14 games to review by early next week; I've put an hour into ET, but I've seen all there is to see, right?; 6.6; NEXT!!" deals.

AniHawk

Beat Diamond last night. Not sure if I wanna go ahead and get S rankings on all of them... Think I'll finally start SMB:BB now.

Awesome game though.

ghostlyjoe said:
This thread surprises me. I've been avoiding this game because of the poor reviews and general negative attitude toward it, but it seems there might be something worthwhile here. I'll definately check it out.

And as others have said, this thread makes me wonder if most of the reviewers actually played the game. Perhaps it's one of those "I've got 14 games to review by early next week; I've put an hour into ET, but I've seen all there is to see, right?; 6.6; NEXT!!" deals.

After playing Excite Truck, I really have lost faith in alot of reviewers out there. Totally dropped the ball on this title in my opinion. Undeserving and unrealistic expectations is where this all started. Lack of online play (does this really matter at all?), The control takes a few minutes to get used to (although they fail to mention the control works pretty well and is fun to play this way), and its a short game (short is a relative term, if its not over 70 hours like Zelda, so its no good). Being over-critical seems to be the norm these days, instead of reviewing to tell me which games are actually GOOD and fun to play. The reviewers get two thumbs down and 1 star. :)

Branduil

AniHawk said:
It's my most played aside from Zelda. It's too bad these guys weren't given a longer development time because it could've been far better.

Once I open and beat Diamond, I'll probably start on SMB:BB. It's the only launch game I really haven't played at all (since launch).

Either a sequel to this or a true ExciteBike64 sequel with online multiplayer would be awesome.

Top Bottom