• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Is Helldivers 2 Viewership So Low On Twitch?

With the success of Helldivers 2 as a multiplayer title especially on Steam I was expecting interest on Twitch for players investing their time into this videogame, but viewership is absolutely bad.

enH2zEr.jpeg

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Hopefully because people prefer play the game than watch it? Or the game is not fit for Twich for whatever reason? Too chaotic maybe?

Some games just aren't as watchable as they are playable. Once the big variety streamers are through with them the viewer numbers take a nosedive, even if player numbers remain stable.

PvE games just aren't very big. People enjoy watching twitch when it comes to competitive PvP games. Co-op shooters creates kind of an unusual dynamic for the typical Twitch streamer

Who cares tho?

I hope there comes a day where more of this forum's userbase realizes the metrics of twitch and steam aren't always indicative of a game's success or failure.

In Twitch’s case it does matter today as you can make money playing videogames.
There have been a plethora of games in the past that sell well and never reach the top 10, let alone top 50 most viewed twitch stream categories. Same goes for steam games with console editions(sport games are a great example). This will continue to happen in the future and we will have to continue living with the fact that consoles don't have live player counts and twitch isn't 1:1 with the market.

Last edited:

Rockman33

Not really a very exciting game to watch. And quite frankly after a couple weeks it’s not that fun to play anymore IMO.

Regardless though I got a good 2 weeks of a fun game. Not every game needs to be endless. I’m satisfied with my purchase.

Last edited:
There have been a plethora of games in the past that sell well and never reach the top 10, let alone top 50 most viewed twitch stream categories. Same goes for steam games with console editions(sport games are a great example). This will continue to happen in the future and we will have to continue living with the fact that consoles don't have live player counts and twitch isn't 1:1 with the market.
I’m all for a game selling well especially if it’s something I enjoy but viewership on platforms like Twitch is important to me as a gamer because you can make money playing these games in 2024.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Maybe Arrowhead isn't offering up any of that sweet endorsement money to the big Twitch partners? It's not like they need to, the game was a roaring success during its first hours live.

acm2000

i dont find it that great to watch, its just the same thing over and over and those sort of games play better than they watch.

Imtjnotu

On a bad day I've seen 190k online playing. On a good day 300k.

Who gives a shit how many people are watching someone play

Last edited:
I’m all for a game selling well especially if it’s something I enjoy but viewership on platforms like Twitch is important to me as a gamer because you can make money playing these games in 2024.
Ah, my apologies, I did not know that was your intent with the OP. In that case I'd recommend following someone like maybe Sodapoppin or Forsen. Whenever an indie or AA game blows up in popularity it can usually be traced back to those two individuals being the first ones to give the game a spotlight with a big crowd, especially if the game has local multiplayer. By the time it reaches the gigantic/casual streamers(like Kai Cenat), it's usually too late for smaller streamers.

You follow that that trend line and there's a higher percent chance of striking gold.

Last edited:
I keep telling people Helldivers is going to have MULTIPLE lives.

When it is discounted to 30-20,10, and 5 dollars
When it is free for PS+
When it is F2P for everyone
When it gets tie-ins with properties like Starship Troopers, Destiny, and Killzone

All they have to do is wait for player levels to level off a bit and cut the price accordingly to keep it in the top 10 and shift the monetization structure accordingly.

That it has been able to sustain itself as a 40 dollar game this long already is an achievement.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I still don't understand why even 6000 people would want to watch someone else playing a game.

DrFigs

It's mostly politics. Twitch is heavily driven by what the big streamers do, and they're not really messing w/ Helldivers.

[Sigma]

Personally, I don't even watch twitch videos period other than like FGC events. I watch youtube streams and videos when it comes to Helldivers 2 and from few people like OhDough for example.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's mostly politics. Twitch is heavily driven by what the big streamers do, and they're not really messing w/ Helldivers.
Ninja, at the height of his popularity in 2018, would occasionally play a different game than Fortnite and his viewership would instantly crumble. He'd instantly lose more than 60% of what he was averaging on Fortnite on day 1. By day 2 he'd lose another 50% and then he'd come back to Fortnite and his numbers would bounce right back up to the usual levels.

Streamers go to games people want to watch. PvE is overly repetitive and lacks the drama PvP provides which is good for viewing.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I feel like streaming videogames peaked in the 2010s (yes I know about and watched justin tv earlier). It was novel and fun. But kinda been there done that now.

tmlDan

Cause streaming is dying, especially on twitch, who watches that anymore? Covid is over.

The most popular streamers are psychos, people dont watch for the games.

poodaddy

Some games make for very compelling gameplay but not very entertaining footage. Being that it's a game and not a film, achieving the former seems to be more priority than the latter, or at least it should be.

Cause streaming is dying, especially on twitch, who watches that anymore? Covid is over.

The most popular streamers are psychos, people dont watch for the games.
I can guarantee you streaming isn’t going anywhere.

There’s nothing wrong with making a couple bucks by playing your favorite games.

Top Bottom