• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is it not okay by outrage gatekeepers to be upset about Pokemon?

DryvBy

I've noticed a lot of people are up in arms about people being upset that the new Pokemon is a completely stripped version of a mainstream Pokemon game. These same types—most whom admit they've never played this series—are nitpicking Tweets or petitions that are clearly trolls or outliers as the norm.

I'm buying the new Pokemon because I'm a moron. And I completely agree with almost every criticism. Removing major features, removing moves, removing a good portion of the ability to "catch em all", reusing animations and art from the 3DS versions, having a pretty bland looking environment for the first major Pokemon game to hit a TV screen, these are all reasons to complain.

I don't take a lot of value in mainstream reviews, but these weird, fart sniffing gatekeepers of anti-fandom are almost exploding with joy that a few of the reviews are giving it glowing reviews. The complaints people have are legitimate imo as the game has clearly else features but is one of the best rated from certain sites. But the fart sniffers are mocking anyone that complains. It's almost like they believe if your apart of the corporate media, you can make criticisms but you're a troll if you disagree.

I can only imagine how these people would feel if EA Sports stripped 60% of the teams in their sports games, removed plays, and removed online play.

Grinchy

Banned
I see it with Fallout and the Elder Scrolls games as well.

It's strange to me for any consumer to not care about the quality of the products they are buying. If you go to the store and pay a premium price for apples and you get cheap ones with rotted spots, I sincerely doubt you'll be saying, "Apples are always like this! What did you expect? They taste just fine!"

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
People can rant a out whatever games they want, people can like or dislike whatever games they want. None of the outrage in either direction bothers me. Why? Because I ignore it. I’ve seen articles and threads based on it and I don’t click any of them. Whatever people feel is fine with me, it’s a video game.

Fake

Is so strange. I've been follow some guys over the internet, neogaf, reddit and even era.

They insults EA, Activision, Bethesda, ATLUS and even Sega, but I look right now they really change their ton. I mean, when the subject is Pokemon they really get defensive and bash toxic attitude even when you see their historic about being toxic with other companies.

I find this a totally hypocrise.

brap

Banned
Is so strange. I've been follow some guys over the internet, neogaf, reddit and even era.

They insults EA, Activision, Bethesda, ATLUS and even Sega, but I look right now they really change their ton. I mean, when the subject is Pokemon they really get defensive and bash toxic attitude even when you see their historic about being toxic with other companies.

I find this a totally hypocrise.
You aren't allowed to criticize nintendo.

Doom85

But on the same note, as someone who is happy with a new JRPG adventure that hasn't cared about "catching them all" since way back in Gen 1 nor plays Pokemon for cutting-edge graphics, I don't appreciate being told I'm "part of the problem" or "willing to put up with anything" or other passive-aggressive elitist bullshit. Telling people they can't be upset is wrong, but likewise don't attack those who are still looking forward to the game as that's just as fucking obnoxious.

Larxia

I see it with Fallout and the Elder Scrolls games as well.

It's strange to me for any consumer to not care about the quality of the products they are buying. If you go to the store and pay a premium price for apples and you get cheap ones with rotted spots, I sincerely doubt you'll be saying, "Apples are always like this! What did you expect? They taste just fine!"
What?... If you're talking about Fallout 76, Okay, but if you are talking about the single player games... Are you serious?
Are you really comparing games like Fallout 4, Skyrim or Oblivion to the disaster that is this new Pokemon game?

I personally really don't understand the specific hate of some people toward Bethesda TES / Fallout games, because it's always incredibly exagerated.
Sure, there are some bugs, but first, most open world games have bugs, and secondly, if there are some issues, the games largely make up for it in my opinion with what they offer, Bethesda Fallout / TES games have a very, very specific kind of freedom that I have never felt in any other games.

I'm not saying they are the best games or whatever, but as far as I'm concerned, I love them, because they are a very unique genre, and I have never played anything else that feel like these games, even Outer Worlds which tried to be close to them really doesn't feel like them in my opinion, it lacks interactivity, life, freedom, everything feel a lot more closed and scripted than in Bethesda games.

I'm also not saying that other games should be like Fallout / TES, but I really don't want to loose these, it's so unique and special, I don't get it when people ask for Skyrim to play like dragon's dogma or something like this, there are a lot of more traditional rpg / action rpgs out there, and I don't get why people don't want to let Fallout / TES be their own thing without trying to be a clone of the rest.

Last edited:

Shiken

I think it has more to do with people outside of the Nintendo fanbase looking for things to complain about just to take shots at Nintendo. Unfortunately this causes genuine fans to get caught up in it all.

Fans have a right to express their disappointment. It is a shame that the "console wars" make these discussions all about "our stuff is the best, your stuff sucks" kind of directions. What this does is cause fanboys to blindly defend or criticize a game just because they want something to hold over other console fandoms, and alienates those with valid complaints.

In short, we (as gamers from all fanbases) did this to ourselves.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
So people are only allowed to consume?

If enough people don't buy the game, then Nintendo would be forced to take notice. Complaints over the internet are heard of course, but nothing really matters to them until their revenues are hit. Reviews don't really say anything though, any Nintendo game will automatically get great reviews no matter what.

If you don't like what a game has to offer, don't buy it.

Acting like they ripped you off or "removed" half a game doesn't make sense. You know what the game is. Buy it if you want. Or don't.

Exactly. You would be "ripped off" if they advertised a bunch of shit and then delivered whatever nonsense this release will end up being. Honestly, it's fuckin 2019. There are so many avenues to gain information about a game prior to release that there really isn't any way to be "ripped off" anymore.

Collz69

I must admit, I don’t care for the Pokemon in sword & shield and I am disappointed that they dropped so many Pokemon (many of my favourites) although I do think it looks good graphically.
I’m not planning on buying it for myself, but my kids want it for Christmas so I will buy them a copy each.
They don’t care about Pokemon being dropped or assets being reused, why would they? It’s only man babies that are getting outraged and upset, most of us adults have more important things to think about like paying our bills and feeding our families.

brap

Banned
This thread further proves that you're allowed to criticize anybody except nintendo.

I must admit, I don’t care for the Pokemon in sword & shield and I am disappointed that they dropped so many Pokemon (many of my favourites) although I do think it looks good graphically.
I’m not planning on buying it for myself, but my kids want it for Christmas so I will buy them a copy each.
They don’t care about Pokemon being dropped or assets being reused, why would they? It’s only man babies that are getting outraged and upset, most of us adults have more important things to think about like paying our bills and feeding our families.
Agreed. People need to stop having opinions on things. Only a manbaby on a gaming forum would care about something like that.

Collz69

I don’t care if Nintendo are criticised or not, it’s just a company like any other, it exists to make profit.
If you don’t like this particular “product” don’t buy it.
If this “product” has disappointed you, let them know.
Maybe they will listen, maybe they won’t.

Acting like they ripped you off or "removed" half a game doesn't make sense. You know what the game is. Buy it if you want. Or don't.

Look at the 3DS->Switch markup (+$20) though!

How many adults still care about playing Pokemon? As a kid, I played Red and Crystal and then forgot about the series until X came out which was fun for a while but way too easy. Now it's 2019, more than 20 years since the first Pokemon craze, and I don't see how anyone would still take this series seriously. I think Yo-kai Watch or some other mixed-media collectathon should have replaced it by now.

Last edited:

Coflash

You can do whatever you want.

Not buying the game could result in change. Being outraged on NeoGAF definitely won't.

David Bateson was brought back as Agent 47 due to community outrage

Deus Ex HR's highlighting mechanic was changed due to community outrage

Remember Final Fantasy 14's first iteration? That changed.

Mass Effect 3's ending

Battlefront 2's monetisation model

Shall I keep going? Most of these games had great sales regardless of complaints but still ended up changing.

'Definitely won't' is definitely false.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Remember Final Fantasy 14's first iteration? That changed.

Yeah, I was there day one. Game sucked. But SquareEnix didn't remake it because people complained, they did it because literally almost no one was playing. I was on ghost servers at the time a couple months after release.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This iteration is going to divide the fanbase I'm pretty sure. There will be those like me who won't support it since there is a ton of issues that should be addressed and a few personal issues of where pretty much my Poke team I've run with for years was just removed from existence. Primarily NIDOKING. NIDOKING is my GILGAMESH. No NIDOKING. No buy. And personally with the way the game is at launch or is going to be I'd only consider it if they price matched their game with Little Town Hero at $25.99. Because that's what I feel it is worth as is.

And then there are those who will graciously accept whatever they are given and will enjoy and have fun with this iteration.

And that's fine. You are allowed to do that. More power to you.

Those that feel that the group that is upset shouldn't be just doesn't want to hear the truth, because they can't handle it.

The games will sell regardless. Maybe more, maybe less. If it's substantially less then maaaaybe they will decide that "yeah maybe we didn't do so hot".

Time will tell.

They are bloggers hired by the companies to look like legit game reviewers. 8 years ago and back, they'd be driven out by the gaming community faster than... well, FAST. Don't know why it's tolerated today since they are in part destroying this great industry.

Coflash

Yeah, I was there day one. Game sucked. But SquareEnix didn't remake it because people complained, they did it because literally almost no one was playing. I was on ghost servers at the time a couple months after release.

...you do know that the development team of the original game literally trawled through message boards looking for feedback, comments and so on, right? The thing you just said was pointless.

It also sold 600K copies in around a month

Keep digging, though...

Last edited:
...you do know that the development team of the original game literally trawled through message boards looking for feedback, comments and so on, right? The thing you just said was pointless.

Keep digging, though...
The game was subscription based. 600k in sales is minuscule to what was expected from a consistent monthly income.

Keep digging, though...

Just being aware of the Final Fantasy legacy and fanbase makes it unsurprising that 600,000 copies where sold in a month. It's hard to take that as some sort of reflection on the game as a whole.

Last edited:

FMXVII

I love Nintendo.

I bought BotW, even though I knew I'd hate the stupid breaking mechanic.

On both the Switch AND the Wii U.

I bought a Switch Lite, just to make bedtime gaming more enjoyable.

This despite knowing full well about the drift issues.

I have even bought both versions of each gen of Pokemon since getting into it with Black/White.

But fuck THIS shit.

I was already buying two copies of pretty much the same game.

I am not going to buy 1/2 a game twice, and still only have pretty much 1/2 a game.

I won't even buy 1/2 a game once.

Much less 1/2 of a trumped up 3DS game for $60.

...and I have both an N3DS Classic and an N3DS XL.

Both of which could run Sword and Shield, with the cut content included, as well or better than GF has gotten them to run on the Switch.

TL;DR:

GameFreak ain't playin' with a full deck, and I ain't playing without a full Dex.

Last edited:

Coflash

The game was subscription based. 600k in sales is minuscule to what was expected from a consistent monthly income.

Let's recap on things
  1. Being outraged online won't change anything
  2. Clearly it will, as per the examples given
  3. *Ignores most examples given* But Final Fantasy didn't sell well!
  4. It sold 600,000 copies in one month despite the fact it was garbage...
  5. But it's subscription based!
  6. It also had a physical edition in addition to an ongoing subscription model...
  7. That's miniscule!
  8. Okay?
I'm not defending that shitty game, and this argument is so far removed from the point being made

Last edited:

oagboghi2

But on the same note, as someone who is happy with a new JRPG adventure that hasn't cared about "catching them all" since way back in Gen 1 nor plays Pokemon for cutting-edge graphics, I don't appreciate being told I'm "part of the problem" or "willing to put up with anything" or other passive-aggressive elitist bullshit. Telling people they can't be upset is wrong, but likewise don't attack those who are still looking forward to the game as that's just as fucking obnoxious.
Pretty much. As someone who hasn’t played the previous Pokémon games since like gen 2 or 3, a lot of these complaints mean nothing me.

Why should I not buy a game I’m interested in becuase you are upset over some pokedex bullshit or whatever.

This thread further proves that you're allowed to criticize anybody except nintendo.

Agreed. People need to stop having opinions on things. Only a manbaby on a gaming forum would care about something like that.
In this case, yeah you’re acting like a child.

It’s Pokémon dude. It is not serious business

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Pretty much. As someone who hasn’t played the previous Pokémon games since like gen 2 or 3, a lot of these complaints mean nothing me.

Why should I not buy a game I’m interested in becuase you are upset over some pokedex bullshit or whatever.

This is where I stand too.

Ultimately Gamefreak hasn't changed their MO. They haven't changed their target audience. They have done the same thing they always have and I expected no less. People constantly crying over things and trying to find reasons to further justify their outrage doesn't really serve much of a point outside of fueling their own personal vendetta against the game.

Seems as silly as the console warriors who jump try to find reasons to justify their preconceived hate against that company/platform. Just take a look at any Death Stranding or Gears of War 5 thread over the past few months.

As for the "gatekeeping" the OP claims - I haven't seen any here. Just people with different opinions who call each other out.

Whitesnake

Banned

That’s irrelevant to the criticism, which is what is being discussed.

There are people on both sides that will get the game, and people on both sides that won’t.

Whitesnake

Banned
Ultimately Gamefreak hasn't changed their MO. They haven't changed their target audience. They have done the same thing they always have and I expected no less.

Well the reason there’s so much outrage this time around is because they are changing things, for the worse.
Gamefreak is removing features, dumbing things down, and making design decisions that make no sense.

If they just kept things the same there’d probably be a lot less complaints lmao

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Well the reason there’s so much outrage this time around is because they are changing things, for the worse.
Gamefreak is removing features, dumbing things down, and making design decisions that make no sense.

If they just kept things the same there’d probably be a lot less complaints lmao

They have always done this. They have always been dumbing down and removing/changing content. Been a thing since the series began. They simplified the game with Gold Silver, then again with Ruby Sapphire, then again with Diamond Pearl, etc. Content that was there was removed, changed, or making design decisions some disagreed with.

I point you over to this wonderful post/image as it describes most of the people enraged currently:

Let's recap on things
  1. Being outraged online won't change anything
  2. Clearly it will, as per the examples given
  3. *Ignores most examples given* But Final Fantasy didn't sell well!
  4. It sold 600,000 copies in one month despite the fact it was garbage...
  5. But it's subscription based!
  6. It also had a physical edition in addition to an ongoing subscription model...
  7. That's miniscule!
  8. Okay?
I'm not defending that shitty game, and this argument is so far removed from the point being made
Square had to salvage that dumpster fire because it was a giant money sink. This is mmo we're talking about, initial sales only cover so much when no one is playing. Doing the footwork to find out what players wanted was purely motivated by the money being lost.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Laughing at the overreactions and occasionally trying to reason with people isn't being "up in arms", that would be literally doing the same thing as what was criticized, lol, most don't :)

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

We have enough drive-by dipshits who couldn't give a crap about the franchise yet are dying to let us know how we're overreacting in every Pokemon thread.

Fuck off back to Politics or wherever you retreat to when the sun comes up.

Sybb

Banned
I think people who buy these games, AND complain about them have a lack of discipline. From a moral standpoint, they don't want to buy them, but they just can't resist. And because they can't control themselves, they start to blame others. If you don't like these games, and there are very good reasons not to, don't buy them. It's that simple. Don't buy, knowing what you're getting, AND complain. That's hypocrisy.

Game Freak made the business decision to not hire more animators and character modellers.
Game Freak lied about using new models.

They have handled these games so bad. If they were part of Nintendo, I don't think this would've happened.

sol_bad

That's exactly the point. Their revenue took a hit so they fixed it.

Top Bottom