• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is it so acceptable to speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitten

Because the posted speed limit sometimes feels too slow/restricted compared to the road situation or your personal capacity as a driver.

Speed limits are catered toward the lowest common denominator for the sake of safety but it means that more capable drivers are held back.

Soul_Pie

Good luck with that in Australia, you'd be down a license and about a thousand bucks within the week.

I don't mind the low speeds in residential areas, especially near schools, but some of the ridiculously low limits on our highways are just ridiculous. A lot of the time you're paying for the privilege as well.

shem935

Banned
It's not 10%, it's five miles over. It's never failed me.

Try the $200 ticket I got for going four over when slowing down from a 40 to a 30 mph. Cop caught me as I was slowing down between the zones and decided to pull me over. Just shook my head when I saw the ticket. Was the first time I had ever been pulled over as well.

Nodnol

That 10% stuff is nonsense, at least here in the UK.

From trips to the US and from what I can gather, some of the speed limits imposed are stupidly inappropriate.

That's not really grounds to justify speeding, but it seems odd that limits are set so low on roads that don't really warrant such measures.

I will generally stay within a couple of MPH of the speed limit. It's only when I have a 20mph zone, normally used around schools, that I'll adhere strictly.

Motorways though, I'll happily do 80mph. And that's largely because so is everyone else, and it would be unsafe to stick to 70mph. Driving on a motorway is an entirely different experience so driving through town or across country roads.

I suppose ultimately I think fast does not necessarily equal unsafe; I've seen plenty of people stick to the speed limit and drive like absolute idiots, That said, I personally will never get frustrated at someone sticking strictly to the limit, although it drives me insane when someone is going considerably slower than the limit.

Having done projects in the Netherlands has broken that habit out of me so hard. Going anything over the speed limit gets you caught on cameras quite fast, and they also track your average speeds between points, making slowing down for cameras also pointless. Staying on the left lane longer than you need to gets you fined as well.

I just stick to the limit now and celebrate the occasional trip over German highways.

I just stay close the speed limit, don't go over more than 5. Never had a speeding ticket so I'll continue to do as I do. Really don't give a shit what other drivers think.

munchie64

I can't help but feel this is different where I live.

Edit: Yep
Come live in Australia, OP. Pretty much NOBODY speeds here.

I hate it.
I actually prefer it lol
But every area has a different problem other than speeding. No one indicates while changing lanes where I live.

Having done projects in the Netherlands has broken that habit out of me so hard. Going anything over the speed limit gets you caught on cameras quite fast, and they also track your average speeds between points, making slowing down for cameras also pointless. Staying on the left lane longer than you need to gets you fined as well.

I just stick to the limit now and celebrate the occasional trip over German highways.

They gotta get more your money somehow.

Hilarious until you kill someone with your car and get to live with it for the rest of your days because you had to be a 'cool kid' and pretend you're on a racetrack.

Yeah, going a few miles over artificially low speed limit's is what kills; not incompetence, road conditions, and alcohol.

Valnen

Yeah, going a few miles over artificially set speed limit's is what kills; not incompetence, road conditions, and alcohol.

Going slower allows you to stop and react quicker.

People that are always going 10+ over really shouldn't be allowed to drive. Or go outside, for that matter. Can't stand people that do this as they're also most likely the ones that will try and prevent you from changing lanes when you need to.

Going slower allows you to stop and react quicker.

People that are always going 10+ over really shouldn't be allowed to drive. Or go outside, for that matter.

If you're not incompetent, you're well aware of what's proper and whats not. There's plenty of roads in America where going 10+ is perfectly acceptable, plenty of situations where going the speed limit(or under it, chumps) is actually a danger. So yeah, don't go 10 over in a highly trafficked downtown area, or in a school zone, etc.. This is common sense. You can be going slow, be distracted and still cause issues. It happens all the time. People should be using their brains, not focused whether they're always following some artificially low speed limit plastered up on a sign just 'cause. Assess the situation, and USE YOUR BRAIN!

There's plenty of articles out there that's goes over this, and how few people actually following speed limits, and ya know, the reason for the vast majority of accidents. Poor drivers, poor road conditions, and being under the influence. These are thing to worry about, not someone going 10+ miles over on a highway, or on a sparsely popular road just because a road sign says it so. (you think cops, or the people that come up with that shit are following to a tee? lol, come on man)

Valnen

If you're not incompetent, you're well aware of what's proper and whats not. There's plenty of roads in America where going 10+ is perfectly acceptable, plenty of situations where going the speed limit(or under it, chumps) is actually a danger. So yeah, don't go 10 over in a highly trafficked downtown area, or in a school zone, etc.. This is common sense. You can be going slow, be distracted and still cause issues. It happens all the time. People should be using their brains, not focused whether they're always following some artificially low speed limit plastered up on a sign just 'cause. Use your brain.

There's plenty of articles out there that's goes over this, and how few people actually following speed limits, and ya know, the reason for the vast majority of accidents. Poor drivers, poor road conditions, and being under the influence. These are thing to worry about, not someone going 10+ miles over on a highway, or on a sparsely popular road just because a road sign says it so. (you think cops, or the people that come up with that shit are following to a tee? lol, come on man)

My problem with raising the speed limit is the vast majority of drivers don't adjust their speed for conditions. Ever.

Lizardus

Please, please stay in the right lane if you going to drive the speed limit or under it on the highway. Don't try to play speed police but blocking someone.

Its always better to get passed from the left rather than right because its safer.

Joni

There are too many drivers that they can drive better than everyone else, so they deserve to go faster. There is a high correlation between that group and people causing accidents.

Clearly you've never driven in California then. Speed limits are already too high for most drivers. Why do you NEED to get to your destination 3 minutes sooner, anyway?

Why do I need to drive at artificially low speeds limits(that they knew most people aren't gonna follow, and that plenty of people disagree with, not just "civilians" either), when I'm perfectly capable of going faster. and being just as safe? Why enforce the law sometimes, and other times completely let it go? Why do so many officers have varying degrees of over the speed limit you're allowed to go before pulling you over? Why do so many accidents happens when people are driving at or under the speed limit?

In other words, just stop with the bullshit. I'm perfectly capable of assessing whatever the conditions are, and doing what is perfectly acceptable. Limits aren't keeping you safe, not being a fucking idiot is.

Enco

Why do I need to drive at artificially low speeds limits(that they knew most people aren't gonna follow, and that plenty of people disagree with, not just "civilians" either), when I'm perfectly capable of going faster. and being just as safe? Why enforce the law sometimes, and other times completely let it go? Why do so many officers have varying degrees of over the speed limit you're allowed to go before pulling you over? Why do so many accidents happens when people are driving at or under the speed limit?

In other words, just stop with the bullshit. I'm perfectly capable of assessing whatever the conditions are, and doing what is perfectly acceptable. Limits aren't keeping you safe, not being a fucking idiot is.
You haven't given a reason for speeding. What do you get out of it?

Comments like 'why do so many accidents happen while under the speed limit' are really bad arguments.

I usually go 5 over in suburbs, so around 40 in a 35mph or 30 in a 25mph. Sometimes more if others are driving faster but I usually cap out at +10. I figure yeah, a cop could give me a ticket for going 10 over if he really wanted to, but 1) pretty much everyone including cops drive over the speed limit and 2) it's not worth his time and isn't solving any problem or making any example. If I got a ticket than it would just be because the cop randomly decided that I was the person he was going to ticket that day instead of the hundreds of other drivers that he sees going over the limit. Now say if I was going 50+ in a 35mph or 40 in a 25mph, then i'm pretty much asking for a ticket if I pass a cop. As long as I hover within +10 or less I feel like i'm safe.

Highways on the other hand, I drive probably 10mph slower than most of the fastest cars. For example, if cars are flying by me at 75-80+ than i'll probably hover around 65-70 just to be safe.

Exceptions are made for known speed traps tho, where I do the exact speed limit. No need to test my luck with a cop that is specifically looking to ticket people on some back street or whatever.

Comments like 'why do so many accidents happen while under the speed limit' are really bad arguments.

I haven't gotten a reason to follow the speed limit most of the time, because it's not an exact science by any stretch of the imagination, and set artificially low... for reasons. It's restrictive, it's total nonsense in so many situations, and frankly, it can be dangerous not to exceed the speed limit depending on what's happening around you. Staying with the flow of traffic is incredibly important in staying safe, and not doing so can lead to some very big problems.

Q. Aren't most traffic accidents caused by speeding?
A. No, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) claims that 30 percent of all fatal accidents are "speed related," but even this is misleading. This means that in less than a third of the cases, one of the drivers involved in the accident was "assumed" to be exceeding the posted limit. It does not mean that speeding caused the accident. Research conducted by the Florida Department of Transportation showed that the percentage of accidents actually caused by speeding is very low, 2.2 percent.

Clearly you've never driven in California then. Speed limits are already too high for most drivers. Why do you NEED to get to your destination 3 minutes sooner, anyway?

Slightly OT, but this is one of my favorite youtube channels. It's some guy who drives around (in SoCal) with a dashcam and constantly captures bad drivers on film.

Here in Germany we have generally no limits on our 'highways' and I concider that a good thing. Most cars move between 80-90 mph and it's fine.

Lizardus

I haven't gotten a reason to follow the speed limit many situations, because it's not an exact science by any stretch of the imagination, and set artificially low... for reasons. It's restrictive, it's total nonsense in so many situations, and frankly, it can be dangerous not to exceed the speed limit depending on what's happening around you. Staying with the flow of traffic is incredibly important in staying safe, and not doing so can lead to some very big problems.

Q. Aren't most traffic accidents caused by speeding?
A. No, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) claims that 30 percent of all fatal accidents are "speed related," but even this is misleading. This means that in less than a third of the cases, one of the drivers involved in the accident was "assumed" to be exceeding the posted limit. It does not mean that speeding caused the accident. Research conducted by the Florida Department of Transportation showed that the percentage of accidents actually caused by speeding is very low, 2.2 percent.

Its set low to accommodate for lowest common denominator. Good job, speed limit-followers, you are literally slowing us down in more ways than one :)

RulkezX

I work in a criminal records office. I'm a relatively new driver and my colleagues are actually poking fun at the fact I only speed a little. It's a common myth that largely holds true that we're allowed to speed up to 10% of the limit (33mph in a 30, 44mph in a 40).

I take advantage of that 10% rule purely because everyone else does and I don't want to be the guy holding up lines of traffic, but I'm actually having people say I'm not speeding enough. Apparently you're a ridiculous and slow driver if you aren't doing 40MPH in 30 and 50MPH in a 40.

Why is it so acceptable to speed, seriously? The limits are there for a reason: they are tried and tested. They save lives. If everyone stuck to or close to the limit, driving would be easier for everyone. I don't get it.

Sounds like bravado, driving at 40 in a 30 consistently will see you without a licence within a month or so (assuming you're in the UK)

Speed limits are arbitrary and have changed many times over the years. No lives are saved by following the speed limit unless everyone follows it, which obviously doesn't happen.

The American highway infrastructure is in too bad a condition to just remove all posted speed limits like the German Autobahn unfortunately. But most of the time, speed limits are intentionally low on purpose so people will speed and then the cops will be able to hand out speeding tickets and earn revenue for the city and county.

This is also why in recent years traffic cameras have proliferated and for some mysterious reason intersections which have cameras placed there suddenly have the duration of their yellow lights shortened. That way the light turns red before the driver can cross the intersection, the camera can take a picture, and the driver gets fined. Speed limits and traffic cameras are all about revenue generation, not public safety.

ElyrionX

Traveling is a waste of time. Life is short. Getting to your destination faster lets you spend time on more important things. It's not fucking rocket science.

Speed limits are usually artificially low and are not reflective of what average people usually drive like. They cater to the lowest common denominator, ie. the very old or very incompetent drivers.

People who drive at the limit on the overtaking lane when there is another vehicle behind clearly going faster than them are the worst. Move over and let people pass.

ElyrionX

Many people in this thread claim that speed limits are tried and tested to save lives. Are they really? Has any government ever lifted all forms of speed limits over a period of time and examined the impact?

Gustav

Banned
People who drive at the limit on the overtaking lane when there is another vehicle behind clearly going faster than them are the worst. Move over and let people pass.

Why do you want to live like an outlaw? Poeple like me help you from straying off the good and lawful life. Don't be a criminal.

Valnen

Many people in this thread claim that speed limits are tried and tested to save lives. Are they really? Has any government ever lifted all forms of speed limits over a period of time and examined the impact?

Yeah that sounds smart. Let's just play with people lives and see what happens.

If anything I'd rather see everyone forced to go a bit slower.

My boss is always getting speeding tickets, it's a wonder he still has a licence to be honest. Although he's one of those jack the lad characters who's probably not had a valid licence for ten years and still drives as if he owns the road. Only drives BMWs, last one was an X5 which was ridiculously big for the small car park and village roads in the area.

MBR

Banned
My father told/showed me that car speedometers generally aren't very precise, so if you were driving our old Volvo V70 at "90" kph you were actually driving 85 kph. After I learned that I don't care much, as long as I stay within the same 10-range. So for example on a 110 road I put myself at between 110 and 120.

If I go where I don't know the roads I'll follow the limit though, because even though I have no idea where there might be cameras, it would suck to be caught by some automatic system.

http://click2how.com/your-speedometer-wrong-can-drive-faster/

My boss is always getting speeding tickets, it's a wonder he still has a licence to be honest. Although he's one of those jack the lad characters who's probably not had a valid licence for ten years and still drives as if he owns the road. Only drives BMWs, last one was an X5 which was ridiculously big for the small car park and village roads in the area.

The kind of people that drive a variety of BMW's don't worry too much about speeding tickets.

Joni

The kind of people that drive a variety of BMW's don't worry too much about speeding tickets.

Indeed. They should just change the punishment process. Just impound and destroy the car after 3 severe infractions or like drunk driving once. It would probably have a bigger impact than just fining them.

Mathezar

I don't speed intentionally. I just drive with the flow of traffic while maintaining enough distance from traffic in front of me.

Tenck

Not only is speeding accepted by many, but most of them have this
jerk's
attitude. I want to go the speed limit, you want to go 10 miles over the speed limit. Why do I need to get out of your way, why are your desires more important than mine, especially when yours are against the law and objectively endangering the lives of people around you, like my pregnant wife and our two year old daughter, just because you feel like going a little faster - which saves little to no time, if you really think about it.

He's talking about taking the left lane, which is used to pass people. If you're not passing people, then move out of the way. Whether your wife or daughter in the car doesn't matter at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom