• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Nintendo incapable of emulating their own games properly?

but also another thing is so that the source is easier to encode to the gamepad. lower contrast saturated video compresses better and the compressed product has less artifacting if there arent high contrast edges.

Holy shit I never thought about that! That's an interesting take, but it wouldn't explain why they never limited high-contrast screens for native Wii U titles. Super Mario Maker is full of sharp edges and high-contrast, and is also full of apparent compression on the Gamepad. They didn't seem to care there.

my guess is the darkening is a deliberate change to make games have less overall contrast/saturation for people who may be sensitive to color flashing

but also another thing is so that the source is easier to encode to the gamepad. lower contrast saturated video compresses better and the compressed product has less artifacting if there arent high contrast edges.

But this darkening effect was also present on the Wii, and is also present on the 3DS

Whatever happened with the F-Zero X stick issue for the Wii U VC version? Was that ever addressed? Also, did anyone ever find a way to kill the dark filter on all of these N64 games?
Patched in Europe.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/12/f-zero_x_wii_u_update_improves_controls_and_deadzone_issue said:
There is still a small dead zone (tested with the GamePad and Pro Controller) but it's much better. Still not as good as an N64 pad, but it feels 75% better to me. I think my driving style doesn't help matters as I make quite small adjustments, so I'll still probably stick to the N64 version myself.
That said, it'll probably be fine for anyone who doesn't have a 60Hz N64 original version.
So I assume also patched in Japan and I hope it launched patched in America.

Now I see why F-Zero GX had a calibration setting.

Top Bottom