• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why is nintendo the way that they are?

buizel

Banned
iqigjiyhdn561.jpg

chad psp vs virgin loser nintendo.

why does nintendo tech look like it was made with my grans 3d printer?

why does 15 year old psp with its slick cyberpunk futuristic stylish gamer design look lightyears better.

nintendo needs design classes from nokias n-gage team

Boss Mog

I dropped Nintendo after the Gamecube and DS. I don't regret it one bit. Between the shitty gimmicks, the cheap parts and feel of their systems, the way they're vastly overpriced, the fact that they mostly just release the same 6 games over and over that never drop in price, there was no need to continue supporting them. When I wanna play a handheld, I just play on Vita which is still an amazing system 9 years later.

iqigjiyhdn561.jpg

chad psp vs virgin loser nintendo.

why does nintendo tech look like it was made with my grans 3d printer?

why does 15 year old psp with its slick cyberpunk futuristic stylish gamer design look lightyears better.

nintendo needs design classes from nokias n-gage team

Yoboman

Nintendo aims their games and products at kids 4-12. Durability and fun factor are more important than a Premium feel.

RaZoR No1

probably cheaper and better fit for children?
A child just wants to play, they dont care if it looks luxurious or not 😅

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I've been asking myself this since the pea green gameboy vs the game gear and Atari Lynx

I was a child back then and Nintendo made no sense to me

Fbh

Same reason they've made some of the laziest and most barebones ports and "remasters" this gen.
They know it will sell so why bother.

Nintendo aims their games and products at kids 4-12. Durability and fun factor are more important than a Premium feel.

Is the Switch actually specially durable?
To me it doesn't feel any sturdier than a Vita or PSP. It actually feels like it would have died from some of the falls that my phone has survived.
Hell, the Joycons already don't attach very firmly (I can remove them without pressing the button) and I've literally never dropped it or had it hit something

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The Nintendo Switch mini has a bigger screen and it is more comfortable. I would say it is the superior hardware by far. I couldn’t play PSP for more than an hour without getting a headache.

teezzy

Banned
Because their main demographic is children and they're continuing to hone on that as the strategy seems to be working still.

I left Nintendo behind for a reason. PC and Xbox for life

PotatoBoy

Lmao OP you're such a dork. The PSP is campy as hell. Nintendo has class, they make TOYS for people who want to play GAMES. Don't try to pretend you're some classy dude playing star wars battlefront on your shiny black rock PSP. Maybe when Sony finally makes a PSP 3 they can bundle it with some slick sunglasses and a privacy film so people think you're conducting important business on your little palm pilot instead of running around shooting Ewoks.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Lmao OP you're such a dork. The PSP is campy as hell. Nintendo has class, they make TOYS for people who want to play GAMES. Don't try to pretend you're some classy dude playing star wars battlefront on your shiny black rock PSP. Maybe when Sony finally makes a PSP 3 they can bundle it with some slick sunglasses and a privacy film so people think you're conducting important business on your little palm pilot instead of running around shooting Ewoks.

When you take out your PSP on the bus all women go:

evdYW78.gif

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Yet, Nintendo is successful with their systems that include the 3DS and Switch and let's not forget that the 3DS took the PS Vita out of the competition. Yet somehow you think Nintendo and the way they make their systems look childish?

Trimesh

Banned
I've been asking myself this since the pea green gameboy vs the game gear and Atari Lynx

I was a child back then and Nintendo made no sense to me

But they obviously knew what they were doing, and Gunpei Yokoi's assessment that small size and long battery life would count for more in the market than a better screen was correct.

OK, he later came up with the Virtual Boy - but I guess nobody is perfect.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The Nintendo Switch mini has a bigger screen and it is more comfortable. I would say it is the superior hardware by far. I couldn’t play PSP for more than an hour without getting a headache.
The fuck is a switch mini

The DS Lite is probably the best looking gaming device ever made to be honest. At least in my opinion.

The switch is an ingenious design, but it's build quality is absolutely shite which is its problem.

Why do they keep doing it? Because people still buy it and they like their margins. Nintendo are a company that are comfortable with the Lev of success that they have and apparently don't really see the need to be like Sony or Microsoft.

Those don't even look like official joycons. I think you got some off-brand garbage. Joycons don't even come in that color.

Or is that the Switch lite? I guess it looks a little cheaper than the normal Switch.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I am a boomer. You know what i meant, the smaller version of the switch, the one pictured. A coworker had one at the office and it had a pretty good screen.
The new Switches have those screens lite or not though. Quality is still lacking sadly.
Those don't even look like official joycons. I think you got some off-brand garbage. Joycons don't even come in that color.

Or is that the Switch lite? I guess it looks a little cheaper than the normal Switch.
That is the Switch lite.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Because they design their systems for profitability and use by children.

Sony used to design their systems for sleekness. (used to, lol PS5)

Last edited:

Handel

It's more important for a handheld device to feel good to hold/use, be durable, have a good battery life, and have a good sized screen then to look sleek. Nintendo has dominated handheld gaming for a reason, they know what they're doing and no edgy Sony pony is going to make them rethink their design choices.

I'm guessing OP buys books/games/movies based on just the cover.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I find Nintendo minimalism more attractive... Very attractive in fact, they finally got rid of 3DS/Wii/Wii U Fisher Price look and feel... You may say Switch Lite looks "too much like a toy", but once you hold it, you see it's actually not that cheap.

Also fuck glossy plastic, the only reason I hated 3DS look is the fucking glossy plastic.

Neff

OG PSP was garbage in terms of ergonomics and practicality

Slim was legit but came too late and had its shit pushed in by the DS Lite

PSP was ultimately the far superior platform over DS

Neff

It was solid as a rock, but it was incredibly uncomfortable to hold in my large hands. 2000 wasn't ideal either but it was a huge improvement over the 1000 imo. The smoother edges, lighter load and significantly improved d-pad made it much more pleasurable to play.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Why is Nintendo the way they are? Could be upbringing. Maybe that time they spent in a Turkish prison or watching movies about gladiators.

jaysius

Banned
Fanbois fight tooth and nail over the dumb/awful shitty things Nintendo keeps doing, and Nintendo keeps making too much money for the low effort they're putting out there, they're not learning fuck all, and won't as long as their fanbase keeps defending awful moves.

Top Bottom