• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why is *only* facebook targeted for killing authentic news and spreading fake news

I don't get why everyone and their mothers go after facebook so much for killing off real news.

I feel like the blame is shared by all social media and the majority of shitty websites that publish those articles and clickbait. its part of what the internet is and has evolved into. I think the media and opponents are targeting facebook and singling them out as a scapegoat.

it feels like this is all part of a smear campaign against them and the unregulated internet as a whole.

the hand-wringing about "fake news" on facebook and twitter is entirely, 100% a pretext to censor right-wing content on the biggest platforms

we all know the kind of person who is going to calling the shots about what fake news is, and is not

Because on boomers use facebook now and boomers are the worst

0cc.jpg

Dontero

Banned
I think Tim Pool completely lied down why and how it got to this point. The most hilarious part is that he did it for Sargon channel which was demonetized apperently for fakenews/alt-right ties or something:

The corruption is from top to bottom and there doesn't seem to be any other answer than listening to multiple sources and fact checking yourself because the media will no longer ever cover anything without bias.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
the hand-wringing about "fake news" on facebook and twitter is entirely, 100% a pretext to censor right-wing content on the biggest platforms

To be fair the biggest source and consumption of made up BS is from the right. They love to wallow in lies that reaffirm their beliefs and there is no shortage of suppliers.

Liberals don't live in an echo chamber of lies. They read papers, listen to NPR, etc. Even the "fringe" left media sources are not making stuff up, they just tend to get into the weeds and fail to look at the big picture.

NickFire

To be fair the biggest source and consumption of made up BS is from the right. They love to wallow in lies that reaffirm their beliefs and there is no shortage of suppliers.

Liberals don't live in an echo chamber of lies. They read papers, listen to NPR, etc. Even the "fringe" left media sources are not making stuff up, they just tend to get into the weeds and fail to look at the big picture.
That's cause they don't have to. They can just wait to comment on the shit the mainstream left media makes up.

ROMhack

Facebook has been embroiled in some fairly significant problems so we definitely shouldn't brush them under the carpet but you're right that it is weird how it gets more hate.

I think Twitter, by contrast, gets less hate because it's a necessary tool for the same media who would otherwise attack it. It holds the same values as they do: transparency and accountability. It also lets them find information quickly. I imagine Facebook being a closed network is something that journalists - the people who hold the power to bring these problems to light - simply don't like.

I personally view both Twitter and Facebook as problematic but for different reasons.

Last edited:

lol

come on breh. have you heard of buzzfeed?

between the peepee dossier, this "jussie" guy, the catholic kids, and the recent fake story from BF about the Mueller investigation, the left has had several very high profile fake story controversies, even in the last few weeks

I feel you're beeing wilfully ignorant on this or disingenuous

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned

Well if you want to make such statement than maybe you should first hand try to see what those other side news cover and how they cover it. Unless you do that you will unfortunutelly look like a fool.

Seriously don't read information from one island. It is very bad especially now that media responsibility for devlivering unboiassed news is of no value.

Last edited:
lol

come on breh. have you heard of buzzfeed?

between the peepee dossier, this "jussie" guy, the catholic kids, and the recent fake story from BF about the Mueller investigation, the left has had several very high profile fake story controversies, even in the last few weeks

I feel you're beeing wilfully ignorant on this or disingenuous

I reaaallly don't think you want to go down this route. Not to say the left doesn't have it's fair share of 'fake news!' shit, because they do, but...right wing media definitely takes the cake in terms of pure numbers.

oagboghi2

"You're "honest" leftist media have been spinning Russia conspiracy bullshit for the last 2 years. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sit down dude.

Academia even accepts Mein Kampf substituted with feminist wording as valid research. IT is an echo chamber of politically correct papers that fail in replicability.

Don't know what they're teaching, but I think some youtubers have seen some women almost start to cry at the mere mention that men are stronger on average than women, such facts are apparently too difficult to handle.

Top Bottom