• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is the site so crap on Mobile?

lmimmfn

I'm using a Samsung s21 and only in the past 3 weeks has this issue appeared. It makes the site unusable for posting replies.

If reply to a comment it gets embedded in the Quote part of the comment, if I move the cursor outside of that all is ok until the reply text is over one line long, then all the text of the reply becomes embedded in the quote.

It's ok if the site only supports desktop browsers, I just thought I would mention it as its infuriating lol

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'm using on a 4-year old Galaxy A20 and no issues. However, GAF is best used on desktop IMO

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Laptop is by far the best for me.

When I read GAF on my company iPhone 8 it barely loads the screen half the time or doesn't refresh. I have to shut down the browser, reopen it and if I'm lucky GAF works. Maybe it has to do with loading the ads. I dont know.

Other sites work fine. Never have an issue with ESPN.

HoodWinked

hmm that's interesting

I've seen replies with broken quotes from time to time, you'll see weird bracketing guess that's what the cause.

anyways what browser are you using? i've used chromium based browser on mobile and never had this issue tho.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I do like 90% of my GAFfing on mobile and it’s great except for the fact I have a ridiculous amount of typos that I feel shame and embarrassment for which I take out on an oak tree with a festive spoon.

But really I just got back and edit my posts a lot so I look less dumb

Drew1440

Xperia 1 IV with Brave browser, sometimes I get issues with quoting messages where the cursor will wrap around to the beginning. Refreshing the page seems to fix it.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Gaf works best using an N-Gage in my experience

nokia_n-gage.jpg

wondermega

I get ads that pop up over the hamburger all the time (with a little collapse/expand arrow for the ad), so it is a drag to try and go back and forth from a thread to a subPage

Another annoying thing about browsing, ad-balls-out is that some of the ads look like posts from GAF users. Is that shit intentional? Color scheme and everything. WTF.
To Clarify: my complains are for mobile. probably fixed.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I think its your browser. I also have this issue sometimes on my S22 (and I had the same issue on my S20) using Ecosia browser. Chrome has no issues though.

Sleepwalker

The annoying thing about browsing the site on mobile is that huge white bar that pops down from the top of the screen and then you have to click it to go away EVERY. TIME. YOU. GO. TO. A. NEW. PAGE.
This is super intrusive and awful. I understand ads are a neccesary evil and I dont have an adblocker for the site but everytime I browse on my phone I get closer and closer to getting one.

Flutta

Banned
I have issues with that stupid ad banner on the top. It covers the whole header you have to unfold it every time when you navigate the forum.
Seriously get rid of it or replace it with something else that is more suited for mobile use.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For me, my issue is GAF sometimes on my phone just doesn't load or refresh. It either doesn't load at all, or it loads up and only the first page shows up. Scroll down the page and it's blank white space. Press refresh and nothing happens. Close down and reload the browser and maybe it fixes it self. Sometimes it repeats. I dont have ad blocker on my phone. So I think it has to do with all the ads that pop up. But I dont know. Maybe it has to do with Incognito Mode.

It's surely a browser or GAF issue as I never get this with sports apps, Gmail app, weather app, or checking out sports sites on the same browser as GAF. I've never seen this issue checking my work programs either like Outlook email, Teams, or dual authentication apps.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Tomorrow is Festivus Gafting Time and my french canadian elves got you in their sights bucko 😃
But we do need those 90's ads to pop up. Can you imagine what it'd be like to see those popping up on different pages? If that's going to happen my good brother -- you'll have to trademark the tradition. Gafting gold. Like that sound.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I updated my Google app on my phone. Works great now. No issues anymore. So looks like my issues were browser related (crossing fingers).

nocsi

KHNAPnZ.png

Whose idea was it to give a fat ad banner a sticky div. If you’re going to do that then at least attach it to the navbar so it doesn’t cover it. You can’t even access the navbar if you minimize the ad. Btw consider this as proof that I don’t Adblock unlike the other scum on this site

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
KHNAPnZ.png

Whose idea was it to give a fat ad banner a sticky div. If you’re going to do that then at least attach it to the navbar so it doesn’t cover it. You can’t even access the navbar if you minimize the ad. Btw consider this as proof that I don’t Adblock unlike the other scum on this site
Hmm, 35-45...I'm not doing too bad.

Top Bottom