• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is there no video footage of Mars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

time lapses are now videos?

A time lapse video IS a video.

Or maybe I'm just too lazy to find it in a swath of links to "OMG LIFE ON MARS ITS TRUE NASA LIED" videos. But, if I recall correctly, Curiosity is able to make video (at low frame rates). Why are there none released by NASA yet? Did they take videos at all? Not enough bandwidth or transmission problems?

I would love to see Mars in motion.

Given the bandwidth of 2MB/sec (Link for the lazy) and the fact that you're pretty much continually staring at video that needs to be post-processed to actually be interesting AND you're pretty much staring at the ground 99% of the time (Link for the lazy) as the cameras aren't really there for mars photo shoots, one would wonder who would really bother.

That said, there is a data feed (albeit slow) that is running 24x7 and posted on the NASA site. Just select the camera you want to see the images from.

Link for the truly interested

HaL64

I would love to see Mars in motion.

I think an HD HFR 3D IMAX video of Mars in motion would be great publicity for NASA. But publicity would really be the only reason to carry the equipment to do that.
NASA is focused on the science, and they don't really even need color images to do the science. Curiosity does have the ability to take high res videos, but low framerate. I don't know why we haven't seen those yet. Probably because yeah they only have a certain amount of bandwidth a day and it hasn't been a priority.

James Cameron has your back...
http://www.space.com/11241-nasa-mars-rover-3d-camera-james-cameron.html
Maybe we'll get something on the next mission.

Gustav

Banned
I think an HD HFR 3D IMAX video of Mars in motion would be great publicity for NASA. But publicity would really be the only reason to carry the equipment to do that.
NASA is focused on the science, and they don't really even need color images to do the science. Curiosity does have the ability to take high res videos, but low framerate. I don't know why we haven't seen those yet. Probably because yeah they only have a certain amount of bandwidth a day and it hasn't been a priority.

James Cameron has your back...
http://www.space.com/11241-nasa-mars-rover-3d-camera-james-cameron.html
Maybe we'll get something on the next mission.

Make it happen, Jim!

Loxley

"That's not video, that's just a series of still images shown in quick succession to create the illusion of movement."

Neogaf.gif

Zona

I've never considered the implications of getting a live stream from such a distance ....so how do they steer this thing with no visual cues to guide them?

Rover sends back pictures-

NASA Techs look at them-

NASA Techs decide what rover should do next-

Instructions sent to rover-

Rover executes instructions-

Rover sends back pictures....

That and programming to avoid the more obvious hazards.

stuff is happening on other planets and there's no one there to witness it

isn't that crazy

gonna watch interstellar trailer again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom