• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn't death as celebrated as much as life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pramod

Banned
If you think about death as part of the natural process, it's just as important as life.

If nothing ever died, we would soon be on a planet where we are swimming in everyone else's filth, unable to move since there's no more space. It would be worse than death, a living hell.

So when someone/something dies, like from a natural process, shouldn't that also be celebrated? That person/thing is giving up their spot/turn in the natural cycle so that others can get a chance to live on this planet.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Elon Musk Weed GIF

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If nothing ever died, we would soon be on a planet where we are swimming in everyone else's filth, unable to move since there's no more space. It would be worse than death, a living hell.
That's not how it would work. There are animals that are essentially immortal, but they don't get overcrowded because of other equilibrium forces exerted on their population.

Raven117

You need to talk to someone OP?

(but death is often celebrated as a part of this mortal coil… so I don’t know what you are really talking about)

tbf in Mexico when someone dies they party way hard
That’s the way to do it, that’s what my wife says she wants but it’s not really acceptable to her family. I saw something about a place in Africa where they prop up the corpse and dress them up with the things they enjoyed in life. Seems somewhat morbid but also a better way to say goodbye than the typical american funeral.

T8SC

If you think about death as part of the natural process, it's just as important as life.

So when someone/something dies, like from a natural process, shouldn't that also be celebrated? That person/thing is giving up their spot/turn in the natural cycle so that others can get a chance to live on this planet.

We'll celebrate you when you die.

giphy.gif

Orion2

Banned
because it's not a choice and in some cases it's a loss, literally a loss as in humanity lost a great mind that could've created things for more people to enjoy, like Hendrix or somebody else, also if it's in a pair, a wife, something like that, why would you celebrate that you lost your most important other, the only way I see death could be celebrated is if we celebrate the death of a dictator or something like thank God he's gone

Last edited:

niilokin

well I agree funerals should also be about rejoicing the life of the deceased one last time not just purely mourning the passing, but that's how our culture been for a long time now. unless one's last days were like last season of GoT or some shit

All is transition...endless change.

"To fear death, my friends, is only to think ourselves wise, without being wise: for it is to think that we know what we do not know. For anything that men can tell, death may be the greatest good that can happen to them: but they fear it as if they knew quite well that it was the greatest of evils. And what is this but that shameful ignorance of thinking that we know what we do not know?"

...Plato

All problems are of the mind, problems of judgment, desire and attachment. Death is but another condition. Death is to life as sleep is to wakefulness. Just part of endless cycles of change/motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom