• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why must computer chairs always break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Never fails, the damn things last 2 years and by the end of year one they are already falling apart.

Can't they just build a damn chair that doesn't break because I'm sitting in it?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
It's probably because you're buying a cheap piece of crap that costs under $100. Spend a little more money.

And lose some fucking weight!

jk

I've never understood why computer chairs are built so cheaply.
Even relatively expensive ones come out of the box with faults.
You can buy a plush quality leather single seater lounge chair which can last a decade yet you spend 2X as much on an office chair and it wont even last 2 years. Fuck that shit.

Shoogoo

IKEA? My previous one was from there and it sucked donkey balls. Now I have one from an office that changed all their furnitures and it's pretty solid.

big_z

i've had mine for at least 5 years but the stupid thing wont stay up... always deflates at random. anyone know hot to fix this problem or is it time for a new chair?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have got to agree, my chairs always end up looking a bit like this..

bokenchair.jpg

I then replaced that chair with this one:

otherchair.jpg

which also met the same fate.. :lol

Even if I buy the damn expensive ones they fall apart so damn fast!

Blutonium

big_z said:
i've had mine for at least 5 years but the stupid thing wont stay up... always deflates at random. anyone know hot to fix this problem or is it time for a new chair?

Replace the gas cylinder I guess.

Mik2121

The chair I used back in my house in Spain was already 5 years old when I started using it, and it lasted another 7 years in perfect conditions until one day I had an 'accident' and it broke into two parts!..

Now where I live I actually have a very low table and I can use it sitting on the floor (with some nice cushions and whatnot, of course) so I won't have that problem :D

blueICE

Banned
I'd say because the boy sitting on the office chair was only 14 years old . . .
He was probably going . . .

up..down up..down up..down up..down up..down up..down up..down
up..down up..down up..down up..down up..down up..down up..down up..down up..down up..down up..down

. . . and then it went bang.

Kyoufu

You need to get a sofa chair instead. That way you can have maximum comfortability with maximum chair life.

Label said:

bokenchair.jpg

I have that exact same chair and it's starting to get like that. When I'm bored I start tearing out the material covering it. Since I sit in it while doing so it probably won't end up in the same fate as yours. The wheels are also falling off but that's another problem altogether.

Mine broke a few months ago while I was playing Left4Dead. I got slammed by a tank, and leaned back. The back leg snapped and I flopped backwards. I would pay money to have that on video.

Wraith

Maybe go for fabric over leather and spend a bit more? We have Leaps at work and they seem to be holding up pretty well and I've heard similar stories about the Aeron and other "holy grail" chairs.

Darklord

Banned
After mine broke I pulled up a couch chair as a short term replacement. I liked it so much I kept it. Nothing like relaxing on a big comfy chair while you surf the net.

Coins

Banned
I was an intern on a Windows Admin team last year. The guy I replaced was the biggest dude Id ever seen in my life. 6'9" and he was really overweight. The company was nice and special ordered him a chair to accommodate his size. You know how important ergonomics is now. So this chair was like a throne to me. I told them Id keep it because it was full of air bladders and EVERYTHING on it was adjustable, it was awesome. I thought I would be funny one morning and I put on a Darth Vader mask and greet my boss that way. She would come into our area in the mornings with doughnuts. So I hear someone walk behind me, assume its her and I start making Darth Vader breathing noises and as I turn around slowly I say, "This better be good!"

It was the CIO welcoming me aboard.

:D

I've had my Aeron chair for 10 years with no problems. If an office chair is something you spend a lot of time on, start thinking of it as a required expensive purchase. My father has an Aeron also, but I hated sitting in it because he had the seat adjusted so low with no tension. One day I just couldn't take it anymore and raised it and cranked up the seat tension. The next day, my dad asked me, "What did you do to my chair? It's so comfortable!" He'd never adjusted it at all.

Koomaster

When you buy an office chair, buy a warranty.

I haven't had to pay out of pocket for a chair since sometime in the 90's. A 3yr warranty from OfficeMax is only an extra $20 onto the chair price. (although it might be less if you are buying a really cheap chair)

I actually cashed in my latest warranty around two months ago. Called up the hotline and was told what I had to do (send a letter with pics of the damage + copy of purchase receipt) then I received a giftcard for the full amount of the chair+warranty a few weeks later and was able to go and buy me another chair.

boo7z

AK Designs chairs fucking own. I bought 2 from Best Buy (Octane). Yeah it is a "gaming chair" but it functions fine as an office chair as well.

product_octane_big_left.jpg

They added a new version "EVO" for the shallow self-centered people.

product_evo_big_left.jpg

Zaptruder

Banned
In an effort to replace the aging, venerable chair that I'm currently sitting on, I tried out a couple other chairs. Well, bought them really. Alas, I bought them from less than reputable sellers, so they came with a couple problems; first one was off the internet, and the alignment of the chair was noticably off. Decided to not bother returning it (more like procrastinated until I couldn't) due to shipping fees. Second chair I thought would be cool; a racing seat office chair. Except that one sucked so bad, but I couldn't refund it, only return it due to it been slightly out of alignment. But the new one which wasn't... sucked anyway. Sucked so bad that I was having sharp pains in my hip by the end of the week. So now I'm back on my old leather throne, which has its own share of problems, but nothing as severe as the other two.

I'm just gonna ride this one out until it falls apart... or I save up $3000 AUD to buy an Embody chair.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Label said:

bokenchair.jpg
I've had this chair for about 6 or 7 years now and aside from the fact that it's a bitch about reclining, it's still in pretty good shape.

Torquill

I've got a fairly inexpensive assemble at home Wal-Mart level chair. Nothing fancy like gas cylinders and what not. No signs of breaking at all.

Kryptonic

boo7z said:
AK Designs chairs fucking own. I bought 2 from Best Buy (Octane). Yeah it is a "gaming chair" but it functions fine as an office chair as well.

product_octane_big_left.jpg

They added a new version "EVO" for the shallow self-centered people.

product_evo_big_left.jpg

This is what I have. Works great.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Buy a used Aeron from any one of a million failing businesses.

:O

seriously. Your chairs are probably breaking because you are buying an IKEA, Target, or Office Depot chair. Instead of replacing chairs every couple years, do it right the first time and spend more on a chair that will last years. An Aeron chair will serve you well.

Gallbaro

Banned
Giant Robot said:
:O

seriously. Your chairs are probably breaking because you are buying an IKEA, Target, or Office Depot chair. Instead of replacing chairs every couple years, do it right the first time and spend more on a chair that will last years. An Aeron chair will serve you well.

When my chairs kept breaking, I just got a cheapo wood one that was on sale at the time, figuring it would be sturdier than plastic and it is. Just not as comfortable.

http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...ess_Supplies_2_10051_SC2:CG32:DP3893:CL159509

Man when I bought it on sale it was sooooo much cheaper.

jakncoke

Banned
Label said:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/Label0/bokenchair.jpg[img]

I then replaced that chair with this one:

[img]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/Label0/otherchair.jpg[img]

which also met the same fate.. :lol

Even if I buy the damn expensive ones they fall apart so damn fast![/QUOTE]

God damn, did you get hungry and eat the chair. damn that thing was jacked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom