• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why must everything G4 touch turn to sh*t?? (TSS related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senretsu

I'm referring to the new format of The Screen Savers, bleh. I've been going the past few months without cable since i started my job out east, so for christmas when I finally get back home for the holidays, 7:00 rolls around and I was ready to watch The Screen Savers. But unsurprisingly, G4 has completely fucked it up. Gone are the hosts we barely had time to get used to (kevin and that other new guy), replaced with two new people.

This used to be a great show back in the day with Leo and Patrick, even though i already knew a lot of the stuff they did on it, sometimes I'd learn about some things that slip by like the registry cleaners or shortcuts. Not only that but they changed the hosts, again, and the new ones make the show is almost unwatchable. I knew things were bad but then read a recent post on kevin rose's blog where he acknowledges the problems the new format of the show is facing (not to mention the expose that Dan Huard did right before new years). Well according to him, the higher ups want the show to focus on gaming and gamer life style full of generic questions like "which game should I buy?" And if that wasn't bad enough, the "live calls" are now canned, they're done by staff members and friends posing as real live callers. Not that it matters much but it just makes the show more stupid. Anyway i've had it with this show, it's not worth it at this point.

I wasn't sure if this should go in the gaming forum or here, because the show doesn't even know what it's supposed to be.

Macam

Banned
Let me save you the trouble: Don't watch G4 or TechTV any more. It sucks, period. I love tech and I love games, but to loosely paraphrase a Penny Arcade comic, I'd rather hammer a nail through my dick than endure that garbage for 5 minutes.

Kon Tiki

Banned
I've only seen 6 mins of G4 in my life. In that 6 mins they said 'fanboys' at least 12 times and 'she (Samus) is like some kind of cyborg'. I was amazed.

G4 totally destroyed all that was Tech Tv. Tech Tv was a one of a kind show that wasn't afraid to be what it was intended to be. G4 is a shallow skeleton of TechTV's former self. I will never watch it another minute of my life. I hope the executives at G4 are happy with the way they dismantled and destroyed what was an awesome network. Heck, I even liked Unscrewed.

Hmmm... this raises an interesting question. Considering that G4Tech is *ahem* "attempting" to reach out to casual gamers, do you think they'd have more success going for a more hardcore audience?

I mean, what if they ditched half the crap like Arena, Cinematech, and whatever the hell that sports show is called (can't remember) and on Judgement Day and X-Play didn't do extended 10 minute segments with interviews of programmers of that new[Tallarico] "totally wicked" racing game [/Tallarico] and instead focused on underdog games, had segments on what's going on in Japan, developer stories, etc. Hell, there was that documentary on the Rogue Leader disc about the "Making of;" I wouldn't mind watching that on G4Tech. Of course, there'd have to be segments on what was popular in the market, but there have been COUNTLESS times when I flip through the channels, and see coverage of "average game with a gun" while actual quality games get reduced to a footnote.

It's sad; I enjoyed various parts of TechTV a lot, embracing the geek culture. Now the channel is mostly G4, with a few TechTV shows thrown into the mix, and the only G4 show I liked was Icons and Starcade.

Vibri

Banned
IAmtheFMan said:
Hmmm... this raises an interesting question. Considering that G4Tech is *ahem* "attempting" to reach out to casual gamers, do you think they'd have more success going for a more hardcore audience?

....and instead focused on underdog games, had segments on what's going on in Japan, developer stories, etc. Hell, there was that documentary on the Rogue Leader disc about the "Making of;" I wouldn't mind watching that on G4Tech. .

Actually they DO all of these things, and I think that's part of the problem. I saw Katamari featured on G4 (I think cinematech?) pretty much the same week it first appeared on 1UP.com, IGN etc way bck when, and they've covered it to almost painful degrees in pretty much every show I've seen since. And how many people will care? This is a mass market TV network right?

I turn on the network and all I see is Ziff Davis/IGN editors arguing over the top whatever games of all time, or another endless making off special (they bore me to death). If anything it's TOO hardcore gamey. It's like GAF TV.

Watch TSS and it's like they dredged the topics on GAF and spent an hour talking about it. What's the point of a daily TV show aimed at people who already wil have read exactly the same information on the internet?

This begs the question: how do you make interesting game television? Seriously, I don't think it's even possible. Games = interactive. TV = NOT. We see the same thing when Hollywood tried to make movies out of games. These people don't get it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Vibri said:
Actually they DO all of these things, and I think that's part of the problem. I saw Katamari featured on G4 (I think cinematech?) pretty much the same week it first appeared on 1UP.com, IGN etc way bck when, and they've covered it to almost painful degrees in pretty much every show I've seen since. And how many people will care? This is a mass market TV network right?

I turn on the network and all I see is Ziff Davis/IGN editors arguing over the top whatever games of all time, or another endless making off special (they bore me to death). If anything it's TOO hardcore gamey. It's like GAF TV.

Watch TSS and it's like they dredged the topics on GAF and spent an hour talking about it. What's the point of a daily TV show aimed at people who already wil have read exactly the same information on the internet?

This begs the question: how do you make interesting game television? Seriously, I don't think it's even possible. Games = interactive. TV = NOT. We see the same thing when Hollywood tried to make movies out of games. These people don't get it.

I think you're the first person ever to accuse G4 of being too hardcore.

Silkworm

BTW, did they completely scrap Pulse? It was kind of nice to have a 1 hr show that wrapped up the weeks gaming news. Sure most of it was old hat by the time they went over everything but it was a nice recap and sometimes highlighted some news I missed. Oh well, too bad. Pulse, Cinematech and Icons is about all I like about G4. As already mentioned, TechTV got the shaft in this merger. :-(

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I've only ever watched TechTV for the gaming stuff so I don't have a problem with the channel at all. I just wish they would have new shows once in awhile. I haven't seen a new icons or filter or players for a long long time.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Silkworm said:
BTW, did they completely scrap Pulse? It was kind of nice to have a 1 hr show that wrapped up the weeks gaming news. Sure most of it was old hat by the time they went over everything but it was a nice recap and sometimes highlighted some news I missed. Oh well, too bad. Pulse, Cinematech and Icons is about all I like about G4. As already mentioned, TechTV got the shaft in this merger. :-(

They merged it with The Screen Savers.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just saw this info on OA's forum...some new shows...

http://www.joeytheintern.com/blog/index.php?p=21

Formula D — Debuts March 2005

Tire-screeching, rubber-burning, heart-thumping action. Hot girls and tricked out cars. Underground street scene meets cultural phenomenon. G4techTV, the first ever network to cover Drifting as a television event, will burn up the screen and a few tires with Formula D this spring. The burgeoning sport of Drifting involves racers who maneuver their cars using a combination of clutch kicks, emergency brake pulls and quick steering, as they fishtail through hairpin turns on a conventional race track at close to 100 miles per hour. As the exclusive broadcaster, G4techTV will provide superior race day coverage featuring profiles and interviews with the sport’s hottest stars, expert race commentary and analysis, trackside reporting, drifting tips and tricks from the pros plus the inside line on the drifting lifestyle.

Panel to include:
–Peter Green, Senior VP of Programming & Production, G4techTV
–Ryan Sage, the 24-year-old creator of Formula Drift, who is responsible for bringing Drifting to the U.S.
–Ken Gushi, rising 18-year-old star in the Drifting scene and one of the youngest drivers on the Formula Drift circuit

Girls Gone Wired — Debuts May 2005

Girls Gone Wired is THE digital beauty pageant for the 21 st century, a special series featuring the hottest 2D and 3D women on the planet. Video game vixens like Tomb Raider’s Lara Croft and Hitomi from Dead or Alive will vie against Final Fantasy’s Yuna and the girls of Konami’s Rumble Roses for titles like “Hottest Newcomer,” “Sexiest Voice” and “Most Likely to Kick Enemy Ass.” Contestants will strut their stuff before a panel of celebrity and expert judges. Finalists will be announced online and G4techTV viewers will have a chance to vote for the pageant’s top beauty. Titles and tiara will be handed out at a very special awards show sure to be the sexiest night of 2005!

Panel to include:
–Laura Civiello, VP of Acquisitions & Development, G4techTV
–Jade, (Mortal Kombat), Girls Gone Wired contender
–Additional panelist TBA

“Icons”: Icons will be the “Biography” show for the G4 viewer. The goal is to release the biographies in conjunction with major movies in 2005. The show is interested in producing shows on: Frank Miller, George Lucas, Pixar, James Bond, Stan Lee and Peter Jackson. Once the icons are set, we will be setting up interviews with their friends and associates.

So looks like they killed another good show, Icons. What the fuck

Wendo

Vasectomember
Senretsu said:
I'm referring to the new format of The Screen Savers, bleh. I've been going the past few months without cable since i started my job out east, so for christmas when I finally get back home for the holidays, 7:00 rolls around and I was ready to watch The Screen Savers. But unsurprisingly, G4 has completely fucked it up. Gone are the hosts we barely had time to get used to (kevin and that other new guy), replaced with two new people.

This used to be a great show back in the day with Leo and Patrick, even though i already knew a lot of the stuff they did on it, sometimes I'd learn about some things that slip by like the registry cleaners or shortcuts. Not only that but they changed the hosts, again, and the new ones make the show is almost unwatchable. I knew things were bad but then read a recent post on kevin rose's blog where he acknowledges the problems the new format of the show is facing (not to mention the expose that Dan Huard did right before new years). Well according to him, the higher ups want the show to focus on gaming and gamer life style full of generic questions like "which game should I buy?" And if that wasn't bad enough, the "live calls" are now canned, they're done by staff members and friends posing as real live callers. Not that it matters much but it just makes the show more stupid. Anyway i've had it with this show, it's not worth it at this point.

I wasn't sure if this should go in the gaming forum or here, because the show doesn't even know what it's supposed to be.

Wait, what was this expose?

arter_2

This is really dissapointing all I want right now is old tech tv back I liked shows like call for help, the real screen savers, tech live [ even thought they repeated segments from older shows] and even Unscrewed with martin sargent wasn't bad [compared to what crap is on g4 now]. Also all those imported random british shows like conspiracys and secret strange and true they where great. All they need to do was keep tech tv the way it was and add pulse, icons, and filter. Thats it, now what they have is a failing shell of both of the channels that is just a drab mess and to think at first I was excited and happy for the merger. How stupid was I.

Bog

Junior Ace
Wario64 said:
Formula D — Debuts March 2005

Tire-screeching, rubber-burning, heart-thumping action. Hot girls and tricked out cars. Underground street scene meets cultural phenomenon. G4techTV, the first ever network to cover Drifting as a television event, will burn up the screen and a few tires with Formula D this spring. The burgeoning sport of Drifting involves racers who maneuver their cars using a combination of clutch kicks, emergency brake pulls and quick steering, as they fishtail through hairpin turns on a conventional race track at close to 100 miles per hour. As the exclusive broadcaster, G4techTV will provide superior race day coverage featuring profiles and interviews with the sport’s hottest stars, expert race commentary and analysis, trackside reporting, drifting tips and tricks from the pros plus the inside line on the drifting lifestyle.

Panel to include:
–Peter Green, Senior VP of Programming & Production, G4techTV
–Ryan Sage, the 24-year-old creator of Formula Drift, who is responsible for bringing Drifting to the U.S.
–Ken Gushi, rising 18-year-old star in the Drifting scene and one of the youngest drivers on the Formula Drift circuit

Welp, just because this show exists, I will never turn on G4TechTV again.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Wario64 said:
Girls Gone Wired — Debuts May 2005

Girls Gone Wired is THE digital beauty pageant for the 21 st century, a special series featuring the hottest 2D and 3D women on the planet. Video game vixens like Tomb Raider’s Lara Croft and Hitomi from Dead or Alive will vie against Final Fantasy’s Yuna and the girls of Konami’s Rumble Roses for titles like “Hottest Newcomer,” “Sexiest Voice” and “Most Likely to Kick Enemy Ass.” Contestants will strut their stuff before a panel of celebrity and expert judges. Finalists will be announced online and G4techTV viewers will have a chance to vote for the pageant’s top beauty. Titles and tiara will be handed out at a very special awards show sure to be the sexiest night of 2005!

Panel to include:
–Laura Civiello, VP of Acquisitions & Development, G4techTV
–Jade, (Mortal Kombat), Girls Gone Wired contender
–Additional panelist TBA

:lol

Seriously,
what
the
fuck

I have a mental image of who runs this station, and it's not flattering. Do they think putting on stuff like this will actually get people to watch it?

Senretsu

Macam said:
Let me save you the trouble: Don't watch G4 or TechTV any more. It sucks, period. I love tech and I love games, but to loosely paraphrase a Penny Arcade comic, I'd rather hammer a nail through my dick than endure that garbage for 5 minutes.

yup, I plan on it. The thing is, back in early sept before I took a hiatus from The Screen Savers, it was the last good show on the channel (besides Icons), the only show that still had some of it's TTV identity. Now it's all fucked. I learned a lot of my photoshopping skills from that show.

and shit, now it looks like Icons is history too

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
It's too bad the execs at G4TTV weren't in Shrilanka and ravaged by the tsunami.

hobbitx

“Icons”: Icons will be the “Biography” show for the G4 viewer. The goal is to release the biographies in conjunction with major movies in 2005. The show is interested in producing shows on: Frank Miller, George Lucas, Pixar, James Bond, Stan Lee and Peter Jackson. Once the icons are set, we will be setting up interviews with their friends and associates.

Unfucking believable! This is just the saddest thing I've heard about G4 yet. That show was like the only quality show on the channel. It always had it's up and downs, but I always figured things would improve over time, now there gonna pull this? It seems like it would be smarter to give a show like that it's own space.

People never complain about Cheat! Cheat! is the worst show on TV.

Cheat is pretty corny, but I have found it pretty tolorable from time to time when there's a game I really like. Now Players and Sweat, those are two are the absolute worst of the worst. Complete shit from start to finish, especially Players, what an insult to gamers. Finding out Players is cancelled only to discovery it's about to remanifest itself is just pure hell. I cannot fucking wait until this channel goes under so I can laugh my ass off.

Not only do they chase away all the new viewers from TechTV after the merger, they produce another strong set of failure lineups, and when that's just not enough, they decide to ruin the only good original G4 show to make it fit with mainstream audiences. :lol Fuck, monkies could do better. *looks at the Nielson ratings* :lol. Well deserved, I can't wait to watch the network fall into the abyss. Karma sure is a bitch.

Mainline

enjoy bell woods said:
People never complain about Cheat! Cheat! is the worst show on TV.

You are correct. Why on earth does this show even exist when you can easily look up everything you needed on the internet. Fine, I'll accept that some people don't have the internet, but by the time they write in to Cheat, they tape the show, then the show airs, assuming that 1 person is even watching it, it will have been a large chunk of time, who would wait that long on a cheat? Worst show AND host ever.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I Tivo exactly two shows on G4 these days Cinematech and Xplay.

I watch Cinematech since I'm not downloading as many game movie clips these days.... and I laugh at Xplay reviews.

That's pretty much it... oh wait I have been tivo'ing Judgement Day but I need to pull that out of my season pass. I watched the holiday show... and that was enough.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I actually watch G4 :( I love watching Cinematech, Pulse, Electric Underground, and Icons. Icons especially I mean where else do we get this? Who cares about Screen Savers? "geez, how do i change my destop wallpaper?" F that give me more video games!

And whoever complains about Icons doing a show on Pixar and Frank Miller should be shot on the spot.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Mainline said:
You are correct. Why on earth does this show even exist when you can easily look up everything you needed on the internet. Fine, I'll accept that some people don't have the internet, but by the time they write in to Cheat, they tape the show, then the show airs, assuming that 1 person is even watching it, it will have been a large chunk of time, who would wait that long on a cheat? Worst show AND host ever.

What I find even more hillarious is that, in my area at least, it comes on at 7PM. This is the best thing they can find to put in that timeslot? I'm not sure how the guy hosting it got the job and I'm not sure I want to. He ain't exactly TV-pretty and he certainly has zero charisma.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Doc Holliday said:
I actually watch G4 :( I love watching Cinematech, Pulse, Electric Underground, and Icons. Icons especially I mean where else do we get this? Who cares about Screen Savers? "geez, how do i change my destop wallpaper?"

I think you're confusing Call For Help with TSS. The latter was about an hour (depending on when you started watching) of pure geek, but not the insulting, degrading, "Hey, you never leave the basement, do you?" kind. Anyone, from hardcore gamers to just tech-minded normal users could appreciate the genius of Yoshi's Box; they weren't afraid to bitch about Bay Area Sprint service; the tips offered in those segments were practical, and weren't always as mundane as changing wallpaper (although I'm sure it was covered on occasion.)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
watching the latest X-play, it appears Morgan Webb got a breast reduction. Infact I KNOW she did. Looks even more like an amazon now.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
xsarien said:
I think you're confusing Call For Help with TSS. The latter was about an hour (depending on when you started watching) of pure geek, but not the insulting, degrading, "Hey, you never leave the basement, do you?" kind. Anyone, from hardcore gamers to just tech-minded normal users could appreciate the genius of Yoshi's Box; they weren't afraid to bitch about Bay Area Sprint service; the tips offered in those segments were practical, and weren't always as mundane as changing wallpaper (although I'm sure it was covered on occasion.)

Agreed. Hell, TSS are the ones that convinced me to mod my xbox. To claim that all they were doing is teaching you is how to change your wallpaper only shows that you never watched it in the first place.

isamu said:
watching the latest X-play, it appears Morgan Webb got a breast reduction. Infact I KNOW she did. Looks even more like an amazon now.
...wtf? That was the ONLY thing she had going for her. G4 has gone too far now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom