• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why not let the Southern US be its own country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adj_noun

The whole "let the erring sisters go in peace" movement kinda died in 1865. Loons aside, the south doesn't want to leave.

Toxi

Banned
I don't have any study to cite here, but my gut says yes. The GOP already throws around a lot of dog whistles: "real" america, states rights, referring to dems as "liberal elites" in "big cities", confederate flags, etc. There's a lot of us vs. them terminology that's directly linked to the Civil War to this very day.
Your gut is wrong. The majority of southerners do not want to secede.

I can't help but compare this to Quebec's past.

I wonder just how many southerners would choose to form their own country if a referendum was held. You have to keep in mind that strong opinion can be extremely influential. A referendum decision would heavily based on cultural, religious, and political ideals. Seems to me the south is heavily influenced by this.

If you base a referendum platform in being pro-south, pro-christian, pro-conservative, anti-liberal, anti-Obama you just might be surprised just how much support the idea would get. Convince people that a referendum no vote is anti-south pro-Obama, definitely a highly plausible strategy, and referendum voting follows political voting very closely.

just like Quebec, there is also a demographic shift of children of 1st gen immigrants making 2nd gen children then 3rd gen grand-children which over-time makes separation (or secession in the US) more and more impossible

in 1995, 90% of the so-called ''ethnic'' vote voted No in Quebec. Now today in 2015, the number of ''ethnic minorities'' have exponentially grown. Rendering Quebec separation impossible

NH Apache

Banned
Your gut is wrong. The majority of southerners do not want to secede.

The South is the most 'Merica part of this country. No way in hell do they want to secede. Some ideals may differ, but this is the new South. You'd be surprised how forward thinking some districts are.

The South is the most 'Merica part of this country. No way in hell do they want to secede. Some ideals may differ, but this is the new South. You'd be surprised how forward thinking some districts are.

the North won the Civil War making the North the ''real'' Merica

aly

I see that the OP is mostly contrite about not thinking this one through, but this is a prime example of how paying too much attention to political theater can influence your perception of reality. There are so few people in the South who would seriously advocate secession, and only slightly more who would drunkenly do so. Don't let the political fighting and relatively minor ideological differences between some states and the Federal government confuse you. Most Americans are for the fixing of America, not the dissolution of it.

Also, some of the states aren't as separate ideologically as you seem to think from much of the rest of the country.

This. I really used to think most people were joking when they give this weird idea of reality that they have of the south. But apparently not and we still live in slave times down here.

Yamauchi

Banned
I'm of the opinion that if a region of a country wants to secede, it should be given that right. That's not to say that I think most southerners want to secede.

Only the crazies want secession, the only time it comes up is when an occasional politicians rant against the "liberal agenda" in a hunting manner. Some if you acting like there's a real seperatist faction or something.

Jenov

Wow op, your ignorance is astounding. The North and South are not as far apart politically as you seem to think, there are huge populations in the South (mostly in large urban areas) that are very liberal, and if you actually look at electoral maps (which have been posted here already I see) you can see politics shifting all the time. Get out of your little bubble and throw away these childish notions, it's insulting and shows your naivety. Also people throwing stupid barbs like 'lol who wants another 3rd world country' are equally as moronic.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I don't have any study to cite here, but my gut says yes. The GOP already throws around a lot of dog whistles: "real" america, states rights, referring to dems as "liberal elites" in "big cities", confederate flags, etc. There's a lot of us vs. them terminology that's directly linked to the Civil War to this very day.

Your gut is very wrong.you are imagining a caricature ofSoutherners not a real people.

cFoHq1o.gif

Talking as somebody who is not well versed in the subject, has this actually worked before? I know they tried to do this in my country and it ended badly.

Enron

Banned
My gut tells me this new South USA would become an impoverished pseudo-theocracy, but that's what they're voting for so that's what they'll end up with.

What the fuck?

The hard-on that GAF has for hating conservative states is amazing.

Do you REALLY think these states would all of a sudden just turn into a theocracy all of a sudden simply by removing the federal government from the equation?

Zeke

I'm offended op is lumping Texas with the south. I hate when people try and lump us in with the south or southwest. Texas is just Texas. As far as the premise of joining the csa? Fuck no. I'd rather the state just be independent. Then we can sell oil/gas to both the northern and southern states at a higher price. Hell might even make our cattle industry a little more valuable and we already supply 20% of the nation's beef.

Josh7289

In addition to many other reasons, it's because different regions of the US are mutually beneficial to each other.

For example, the South benefits from federal spending on welfare programs that are paid for by the richer regions. While the other regions benefit from lower labor costs in the South in the form of lower prices on end products.

Other 'red state' regions like the South and Midwest are also the major energy and food producers in the country, which is obviously beneficial to everyone.

Also, philosophically, just because I don't agree with someone on every point doesn't mean I want to disassociate with them entirely. On the contrary, I'd rather have national discussions with varying opinions so that we might better arrive at the truth in the end; I don't want to live in an echo chamber.

Something tells me there are obvious reasons this would be a bad idea that I'm overlooking, but I feel like both new countries would be able to govern a lot more efficiently if they weren't in a constant push-pull over which direction to lead. My gut tells me this new South USA would become an impoverished pseudo-theocracy, but that's what they're voting for so that's what they'll end up with. I get that letting the south do what it wants may come across as, like, a human rights violation to some, but as long as democracy is held intact you can't be upset that people are choosing to cut taxes and restrict rights to their detriment.

To be specific, I'm talking about Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky and Tennessee being made into their own country.

So, what say you gaf? Why not push for something like this?
throw in north and south carolina

I live in north carolina and as far as I'm concerned this place sucks and is fighting as much change as possible

And why is the south the most american part of the country? America was built in the industrial centers of major cities. NYC is a monument to the American spirit and work ethic.

Also the North won so.

Alchemy

Many southern states would be super unhappy to lose federal funding. Texas is the only one actually pays in more then they receive.

Jag

And why is the south the most american part of the country? America was built in the industrial centers of major cities. NYC is a monument to the American spirit and work ethic.

Also the North won so.

It is the differences that make this country strong and great. Just like immigration is what helped make us a world power.

I would argue that those who would prefer to see it separate are the weak links.

Speevy

Banned
Sometimes I think those of you who have only lived in northern states need to take a trip to Tennessee or somewhere, have yourself a nice meal, meet with some nice folks, and relieve yourself of these misconceptions regarding southern culture and attitudes.

Any person who grows up in either a rural or disadvantaged part of the country is subject to being around people who hold ignorant, less progressive opinions.

What you do with those people is not to wipe them off the map. Instead, you ask yourself what their understanding of social issues says about how much further we have to go as a nation. You ask yourself why otherwise decent people could disagree with you so strongly. What experiences have led them to their opinions?

Every culture (not just the US) has experienced some form of a debate over social issues. If you actually regard your southern neighbors as people rather than talking points, you might discover their views are not so different than yours.

Also, fear of change is a human condition that affects us all.

Sometimes I think those of you who have only lived in northern states need to take a trip to Tennessee or somewhere, have yourself a nice meal, meet with some nice folks, and relieve yourself of these misconceptions regarding southern culture and attitudes.

Any person who grows up in either a rural or disadvantaged part of the country is subject to being people who hold ignorant, less progressive opinions.

What you do with those people is not to wipe them off the map. Instead, you ask yourself what their understanding of social issues says about how much further we have to go as a nation. You ask yourself why otherwise decent people could disagree with you so strongly. What experiences have led them to their opinions?

Every culture (not just the US) has experienced some form of a debate over social issues. If you actually regard your southern neighbors as people rather than talking points, you might discover their views are not so different than yours.

Also, fear of change is a human condition that affects us all.

No way man, it's way easier to view them as stereotypes and caricatures. Truly this will make it easier for us to unite as a country.

Mindlog

That is beautiful.
Come back and read it again in a year.

JABEE

I don't think there is any real demand that exists for secession. There isn't really any issue that is so contentious in this country that would have one or both sides want to take their ball and go home. We're all Americans.

Speevy

Banned
lets be real - even without atlanta and six flags AND athens, Ga is still better than Alabama. Just not at football.

I live in Columbus, so a lot of the people I work with and meet in town are actually residents of Alabama. I'm sure the same is true of many other Georgians.

Speevy

Banned
I don't think there is any real demand that exists for secession. There isn't really any issue that is so contentious in this country that would have one or both sides want to take their ball and go home. We're all Americans.

Exactly. Gay people are getting married in Alabama.

Imagine uttering that sentence 10 years ago.

akira28

Only if they were willing to leave America and move to some uninhabited scrub land and start fro scratch working for their own to build their own, without slavery or forced labor.

We'll allow them to take the clothes on their backs, the shoes on their feet, and some farming and building tools.

Now go get fucked.err I mean Go rise again.

God help me and all of us if I ever get a time machine. I will go back and fuck the south. Oh how I will fuck the south. And they had it coming, and mostly still do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom