• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why not let the Southern US be its own country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
The problem with this is that there are conservative and liberals in every state. Just because a state is liberal doesn't mean that almost close to half the population isn't conservative. Same goes for conservative states and liberal citizens. The country may be split down the middle in terms of parties, but the states don't geographically split ideologically down the middle that way.

Imagine how angry all the northern conservatives would be over this? Or how angry all the southern liberals would be? You expect these millions of people to uproot and all switch geographical locations to fit with the new divided liberal north and conservative south?

So even in a practical sense it's not realsitic. And again, you have to realize how many conservatives are in the north and liberals in the south. It's a lot. And this isn't even getting into the issues of how the country depends on these these states for economic power. And then the issue of military/foreign issues.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Yes, because that's the way a democracy works. When you don't agree with someone or something you just walk away and take your ball (or thin this case the entire half of the country) with you...

Because it'd massively reduce America's power and international stature? Because the vast majority of Americans living in the South don't want to secede? Because the South is increasingly economically important?

I was just gonna say money, but this works too.

Vinci

Danish
Yes, because the way a democracy works. When you don't agree with someone or something you just walk away and take your ball (or thin this case the entire half of the country) with you...

And even imagining for a moment that the regions are split by such extreme ideologies as the OP seems to suggest... Which they aren't in reality... Then it seems odd to suggest that one or the other would be undoubtedly doomed to fail or succeed. He and others seem to think that the South in such a scenario would up and die, and that's horribly ignorant given the growing economies there.

Red Mage

I don't have any study to cite here, but my gut says yes. The GOP already throws around a lot of dog whistles: "real" america, states rights, referring to dems as "liberal elites" in "big cities", confederate flags, etc. There's a lot of us vs. them terminology that's directly linked to the Civil War to this very day.

Stop listening to your gut, it's an idiot.

It would not turn into a Theocracy, any more than the North would turn into a Communist Regime. Both sides are active in the character assassination of their opponents, so I don't see how that is supposed to be used as evidence. Aside from this, the majority of people on both sides don't want secession.

nateeasy

Banned
Democrat, Republicans, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Atheists, Black, white, Hispanic, straight, gay, rich, poor, old, young. We're all Americans. And we are stronger together than we are a part.

jblank83

Besides the economic impact already mentioned multiple times, there would be significant cultural and political turmoil, both domestic and international, as well as significant military implications, from loss of strategic ports and bases to new border vulnerability concerns (what if "The South" formed military pacts with, say, Russia or China?), a loss of a large portion of our recruiting pool for troops ("The South" contributes a disproportionate percentage of new recruits) and so on.

Democrat, Republicans, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Atheists, Black, white, Hispanic, straight, gay, rich, poor, old, young. We're all Americans. And we are stronger together than we are a part.

Correct

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Losing the Texas economy alone would be almost crippling to the rest of the country.

Isn't the only reason the Republicans have any power due to insignificant little districts full of ignorant people? I really feel it should all just be a popular vote, the majority wins. If small, backwards nobody towns get screwed then so be it.

andycapps

This.

captive said:
Losing the Texas economy alone would be almost crippling to the rest of the country.

Losing the Dallas airport and the Atlanta one would hurt as well. Atlanta one is busiest in the country (maybe world?). Cruise ships leaving Florida, vacations to Florida would likely be more expensive from everyone from the north, etc.

Red Mage

Isn't the only reason the Republicans have any power due to insignificant little districts full of ignorant people? I really feel it should all just be a popular vote, the majority wins. If small, backwards nobody towns get screwed then so be it.

You realize that if was how it worked, we'd probably still have legal segregation, right?

We should just let California secede so they can be the perfect Utopia they think they could be without the rest of us, then we can bring in Puerto Rico.

Sami+

We voted for Obama twice!

Its nearly impossible for a Republican to win the presidency without Florida. They wish they could just have the state. Florida is a fake south state through and through.

Unless you're in the northern part of Florida. Then its the south.

Born and raised in Tallahassee haha. We're the resident college town though so it's not too bad.

Mudcrab

When you look at this map does it really seem as if Republicans only have power in insignificant districts?

countymaprb1024.png

What is the reason for all the counties along the south part of the Mississippi river voting Democrat?

Usually more urban areas tend to lean to the left despite whether or not they are in the North or South. Rural areas tend to lean right which is why massive swathes of middle America is Republican controlled.

pantsmith

The big cities in the south are typically liberal and very important to the overall economy. It would be a major loss to the country.

When you look at this map does it really seem as if Republicans only have power in insignificant districts?

Usually more urban areas tend to lean to the left despite whether or not they are in the North or South. Rural areas tend to lean right which is why massive swathes of middle America is Republican controlled.

That's right, and a lot of the population is In those Urban areas, no? That seems to be growing too, though I'm not 100% sure about that.

I just don't get why anyone would vote for the current republican party, it just boggles my mind (Well, I do get it but the reasons are so stupid). And this doesn't mean democrats are saints either, far from it. Just the lesser of two evils

You realize that if was how it worked, we'd probably still have legal segregation, right?

I'm not entirely sure, wpuld you explain?

captive

Good grief man, could you be any more insulting? As if anyone who disagrees with your point of view is some ignorant racist redneck not worthy of life.

Ronin Ray

Nah don't lump us (Texas) with the rest of the South. We would straight become our own country and probably invade mexico hahahahaha

Good grief man, could you be any more insulting? As if anyone who disagrees with your point of view is some ignorant racist redneck not worthy of life.

That's not what I said though. Urban centers with much, much great populations should have more power and sway, especially as they keep being bigger and bigger.

Also, you're throwing my comment way out of proportion here. I'm not saying anyone who disagrees with me deserves death, just that a lot of the Republican's is born out of ignorance which I don't think anyone will deny. The Republican party of old, is dead for now and I can only hope it returns one day.

The electoral college is a joke

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Yes, because the way a democracy works. When you don't agree with someone or something you just walk away and take your ball (or thin this case the entire half of the country) with you...

Well - if two wolves and a sheep are voting on a dinner menu, the sheep would be better off by taking its ball and running instead of hanging around to vote...

That is why Democracy is a terrible system. Majority rule is never a good idea. That is why we are a representative republic and why the electoral college exists.

The system is breaking down now due to democracy - and the abuse of it through gerrymandering by those with power.

captive

That's not what I said though. Urban centers with much, much great populations should have more power and sway, especially as they keep being bigger and bigger.

Also, you're throwing my comment way out of proportion here. I'm not saying anyone who disagrees with me deserves death, just that a lot of the Republican's is born out of ignorance which I don't think anyone will deny. The Republican party of old, is dead for now and I can only hope it returns one day.

The electoral college is a joke
No, you said quote "insignificant little districts full of ignorant people" so you've just called anyone that disagrees with your point of view as ignorant.

However, you can find ignorant democrats as well. Just go look for videos titled "Obama's going to pay my rent" and other stupid shit like that.

Captive: A true fighter for the common man.

Did you have a point against something I said or were you just going to mock me?

Having a country basically forced to believe and practice one ideology. Something tells me that wouldn't end well...

You think modern day gerrymandering is bad? (it is). Watch what would happen with this.

Parch

I can't help but compare this to Quebec's past.

I wonder just how many southerners would choose to form their own country if a referendum was held. You have to keep in mind that strong opinion can be extremely influential. A referendum decision would heavily based on cultural, religious, and political ideals. Seems to me the south is heavily influenced by this.

If you base a referendum platform in being pro-south, pro-christian, pro-conservative, anti-liberal, anti-Obama you just might be surprised just how much support the idea would get. Convince people that a referendum no vote is anti-south pro-Obama, definitely a highly plausible strategy, and referendum voting follows political voting very closely.

HylianTom

Banned
The big cities in the south are typically liberal and very important to the overall economy. It would be a major loss to the country.
You aren't kidding. New Orleans went >80% for Obama in 2012. If the North ever wants an island playground/port city at the mouth of the river, we'd willingly come along. :p

No, you said quote "insignificant little districts full of ignorant people" so you've just called anyone that disagrees with your point of view as ignorant.

However, you can find ignorant democrats as well. Just go look for videos titled "Obama's going to pay my rent" and other stupid shit like that.

Did you have a point against something I said or were you just going to mock me?

Of course we can find ignorance everywhere but are You really tellibg me the republican base isn't mostly the rich and ignorant. Why would people vote against their best interests? Ignorance. just look at the policies these guys try pushing.

And as I said, democrats aren't saints either but I'll take them over the crazy right any day. I also firmly believe that anyone who gives people like Palin, Cruz, and Bachmann power are entrenched in ignorance because I just don't see how else anyone would vote for those lunatics.

Red Mage

I'm not entirely sure, wpuld you explain?

If the system was basically "winner takes all" then we probably never have gotten rid of segregation when we did, among other things. Heck, the reason the Senate was originally elected by the State Governments was to keep the country from having mood whiplash like crazy.

I just did a quick count on the GDP of states and the red states make up 33% of the economy so they wouldn't be poor by any means. The blue state's gas would probably increase significantly with losing Texas and Alaska. Plus most of the fracking is done in the red states. So energy would be an issue for the blue states. Food prices would increase for the blue states since they would be losing the entire midwest. The big problem is that you end up dividing the north in two because you have red states in between. The red states would lose important port cities. That would be a big loss. It's interesting to think about.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
So we'd have issues with how a major trading partner has massive humans rights issues not just overseas to the east but also directly south of us.

Sounds to me like OP wants us to GTFO but is doing the whole Inception crap of pretending it was our idea.

"No no it's not that I want you to leave, but come on you'd be happier right?"

Africanus

Oh dear >.>
I was making a joke based off your tag.
I support your statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom