• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why not skip all the BS and give us a real super robot movie?

pramod

Banned
So Pacific Rim 2 is coming out.
Wasn't a big fan of the first, and this one isn't exciting me that much either.
I guess it's hard for someone who has grown up on UFO Grendizer, Gundam, Getta Robo, and Mazinger to get excited about these wanna-be giant robots and monsters. They look nowhere as cool as the shows I grew up with, no matter how more "real" they look.

So I wonder what's stopping Toei or Hollywood from just making a live action Voltron or Mazinger movie? Why beat around the bush and waste time with these wanna-bes?

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
Neon Genesis Evangelion-movie. AAA-production by Hollywood. Choose charismatic asian actors where necessary (Shinji and family), white-wash where it doesn't matter (Katsuragi), and give Asuka a bigger role equal to Shinji, as she'll be the relatable white protagonist for the western audience.

Keep everything else as close to the anime as possible. WIN.

Last edited:

Osukaa

Neon Genesis Evangelion-movie. AAA-production by Hollywood. Choose charismatic asian actors where necessary (Shinji and family), white-wash where it doesn't matter (Katsuragi), and give Asuka a bigger role equal to Shinji, as she'll be the relatable white protagonist for the western audience.

..... I'd watch this day 1.

Jon Neu

Banned

The problem is: you'll need at least a trilogy of movies to give the characters a similar arc with all the psichological and philosophical themes of the original Eva. Also top tier CGI to make EVA's, angels and the post apocalyptic world look good. And then you will obviously have to hire good actors that sell well to a broader audience. That's like a lot of budget for something that is not known outside of anime/manga circles.

I guess in a trilogy of 3 hours each movie you can take away some of the angels and have like 2/3 angels attack for each movie, and then the last movie be the last episodes of the series + The End Of Evangelion.

KevinKeene

Banned
The problem is: you'll need at least a trilogy of movies to give the characters a similar arc with all the psichological and philosophical themes of the original Eva. Also top tier CGI to make EVA's, angels and the post apocalyptic world look good. And then you will obviously have to hire good actors that sell well to a broader audience. That's like a lot of budget for something that is not known outside of anime/manga circles.

I guess in a trilogy of 3 hours each movie you can take away some of the angels and have like 2/3 angels attack for each movie, and then the last movie be the last episodes of the series + The End Of Evangelion.

I mean, 26 episodes divided by 3, and you arrive at under 9 hours for the whole story. A movie trilogy should easily cover everything.

I a'so think IF there's an anime that can justify a big budget Hollywood production, it's NGE. Dear god, can you imagine just how cool the EVA-units would look? Pacific Rim's robots would look like baby toys in comparison.

Ofc, it's just a dream.

Fnord

I'm pretty sure James Cameron was attached to an Evangelion movie, but got sidetracked with countless Fern Gull... er... Avatar sequels.

Shouta

Mazinger Z: Infinity just released in Japan and they had special airings of it in some US theaters a few days ago. It's not live action but that's probably for the best. It was great.

Mohonky

I would watch it but no way you could condense it to a movie.

On top of that there are so many themes going through that series the Eva stuff wouldnt be front and center, but if you made it front and center it would no longer really be Evangelion.

Movies like Pacific Rim work because they are big dumb action movies that are just fun to watch so its easier for mass consumption

Been wondering that about Giant monster movies. Please just give us big things beating the shit out of each other in a city. Those 10 minutes in the Godzilla movie were great but damn it's a two hour movie that could have been an hour twenty tops.

Brofist

F that Misato's gotta be Japanese

Catphish

What we need is a faithful recreation of G1 Transformers with Vince DiCola doing the score.

It'll be a great movie, with a 40% chance of ushering in an era of global peace.

lifa-cobex

Don't forget fan service.

Top Bottom