• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the DS Rocks - Official Game Recommendation Thread

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Gamecocks625 said:
Hmm...never heard of it :lol jk

I did pick up Call of Duty today, however. I'll post impressions later. I'm particularly interested in the Wifi aspect of it.
Woah. Just watched a video. It looks good... and online as well? May pick this up myself.

Fantastical said:
Woah. Just watched a video. It looks good... and online as well? May pick this up myself.

Online kicks major butt. Seriously, this is one of the top online games for the DS and a must have for any DS FPS fan. Online runs silky smooth (even better than single player) and the controls are excellent. Using the stylus to look around reminds me of a mouse on a PC shooter. While online is only 2v2, the maps are just the right size (I think there are 10 or 11 multiplayer maps) and are designed very well. This is my surprise online game of the year for the DS. It's like a mini version of SOCOM on the go.

If you end up picking it up, leave your friend code in the online thread.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Gamecocks625 said:
Has anyone played Call of Duty: World at War? It just came out and was wondering if it's any good for multiplayer. I saw that it got good reviews.

Not too interested in the online, but the single player campaign is, so far, quite a bit better than Modern Warfare on the DS. I'm rather liking it so far.

Haunted

Gamecocks625 said:
Online kicks major butt. Seriously, this is one of the top online games for the DS and a must have for any DS FPS fan. Online runs silky smooth (even better than single player) and the controls are excellent. Using the stylus to look around reminds me of a mouse on a PC shooter. While online is only 2v2, the maps are just the right size (I think there are 10 or 11 multiplayer maps) and are designed very well. This is my surprise online game of the year for the DS. It's like a mini version of SOCOM on the go.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Why hello thar - can someone please give me their recommendation for a DS Strategy game?

I really wanted an RTS, but it seems there aren't many at all. I already purchased Lock's quest, and it's excellent... So it looks like I have to go for an RTS turned TBS if I want it on the DS.

So here's what I'm looking for...

RTS like RTS or TBS.
Lot of emphasis on base/nation building with some combat. Can be simple combat, as I prefer gathering/base building over a stronger combat oriented game.
More enemies the better.

I've also been considering Robocalypse but it sounds like the grunt control is a little lame with the flag system, but if the base building is strong, I would certainly consider it.

Hmm, well guess that is all I require actually. So should I go Age of Empires: Myth, Age of Empires: Kings, Sid Meier's Civilization, or .... ?

Hive

Banned
Gamecocks625 said:

Cool, i'll pick this up ASAP~ By the way, have u gotten around to trying Anno 1701 yet?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Gamecocks625 said:

Surprisingly, I met up with a cousin and he happen to have this game. I hit up online and it's really good. Didn't go much into the single player. Unfortunately there seemed to be a lot of disconnects or errors to connect. I might pick this one up.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
DemDereNads said:
Hmm, well guess that is all I require actually. So should I go Age of Empires: Myth, Age of Empires: Kings, Sid Meier's Civilization, or .... ?
I've never played a Civ game and I thought the DS one was quite fun and I played it for hours in the car driving to Florida. Take that as you will.

xfactor

Banned
DemDereNads said:
Why hello thar - can someone please give me their recommendation for a DS Strategy game?

I really wanted an RTS, but it seems there aren't many at all. I already purchased Lock's quest, and it's excellent... So it looks like I have to go for an RTS turned TBS if I want it on the DS.

RTS like RTS or TBS.
Lot of emphasis on base/nation building with some combat. Can be simple combat, as I prefer gathering/base building over a stronger combat oriented game.
More enemies the better.

I've also been considering Robocalypse but it sounds like the grunt control is a little lame with the flag system, but if the base building is strong, I would certainly consider it.

Ninjatown is a tower defense RTS game like Lock QUest. Personally i find Ninjatown is better than Lock Quest due to its simplicity. If you like Lock quest, you'll like Ninjatown

DemDereNads said:

RTS like RTS or TBS.
More enemies the better.

For turn-based strategy, I defy anyone to disagree that the Advance Wars series by Nintendo's Intelligent Systems isn't the leader in the genre. Such addictive, charming, and polished series of games.

2d368bb34ad31d60f1a5241b2fb0eaea.jpg

advance-wars-days-of-ruin.jpg

And, of course, the previous two for the GBA are also great.

fe367e21238401f7e9290f50cca357f5_n.jpg

Advance_Wars_Coverart.jpg

Hive said:
Cool, i'll pick this up ASAP~ By the way, have u gotten around to trying Anno 1701 yet?

Not yet. I still have Sim City Creator. I'll have to check out some reviews/video of Anno. But yeah, definitely pick up Call of Duty: World at War. The only thing I don't like is the spawn killing, but that's not an issue if you play with good people.

TheGrayGhost said:
For turn-based strategy, I defy anyone to disagree that the Advance Wars series by Nintendo's Intelligent Systems isn't the leader in the genre. Such addictive, charming, and polished series of games.

advance-wars-days-of-ruin.jpg

I'd have to agree. I hadn't played any Advance Wars games (or any turn-based strategy games for that matter) before, but I really enjoyed - and still do- Days of Ruin.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
there is a new Advance Wars game on DS since Dual Strike? How did I miss that?

Any good? Loved advance wars 1&2 on GBA, Liked Dual Strike.

joelseph

mrklaw said:

It has a different feel but at the core is the same game. Once I got used to the new style and tone I grew to like it more than the older games in the series.

mrklaw said:

Yes, it's very good. Having not played Dual Strike, I can't make any comparisons, but from what I've heard, the theme and graphical style is darker/ more serious (which I prefer for a war game). You have something like 50 slots available for creating your own maps, you can download new maps or exchange them with friends, CO powers are not overdone, wifi multiplayer with voice chat, great touch screen controls, etc.

xfactor said:
Ninjatown is a tower defense RTS game like Lock QUest. Personally i find Ninjatown is better than Lock Quest due to its simplicity. If you like Lock quest, you'll like Ninjatown

Thanks, I actually went looking for Ninjatown before Lock's quest, but Kmart didn't have it for me to use my $25 coupon, but I ended up getting in on the gamespot $15 deal, but still haven't received it yet.

I also already have AW Dark Ruin - certainly a fun game, although I have yet to see any base type building, although I'm only a few missions into it.

Hive said:
Any consensus on which is the better story? Dual Strike or Black Hole Rising?

Black Hole Rising, obviously. Dual Strike's story was complete idiocy. But Days of Ruin is better than both of them, because it actually makes SENSE.

Christopher said:
Portrait of Ruin is the best game on the DS I must say after playing it.

*laughs*

Did you play OOE? If not, don't come back till you do.

...and if you still think that POR is the best game, you should hand in your gaming license.

Christopher

Death_Born said:
Black Hole Rising, obviously. Dual Strike's story was complete idiocy. But Days of Ruin is better than both of them, because it actually makes SENSE.

*laughs*

Did you play OOE? If not, don't come back till you do.

...and if you still think that POR is the best game, you should hand in your gaming license.

Everyone on EvilB says taht OoE sucks hard.

D-Pad

Death_Born said:

Is it that bad?

I'm still waiting for my copy of Dawn of Sorrow to arrive. :((( The wait is killing me. This is going to be my second Castlevania experience (my first was Super Metroid, oooooooh snap).

teiresias

D-Pad said:
Is it that bad?

I'm still waiting for my copy of Dawn of Sorrow to arrive. :((( The wait is killing me. This is going to be my second Castlevania experience (my first was Super Metroid, oooooooh snap).

I've tried to play through Dawn of Sorrow twice without success - I just get bored with it halfway through or find a spot I need a certain soul to pass and no matter how many of them I kill they don't give up a soul and I stop playing out of frustration. I really want to try OoE though, so I'm once again playing through DoS, hoping to finish it this time around.

I haven't tried PoR, but I haven't enjoyed a Metroidvania since the GBA games tbh - and I guess I still rank SotN as my favorite of that style of Castlevania.

D-Pad said:
Is it that bad?

somaaaaa.gif

PoR isn't a bad game by any means. It's just not the best. The gameplay, characters, locations, etc. are all "meh." It's also a bit repetitive.

Dawn of Sorrow is very good, but OOE is better due to

a) higher difficulty
b) better artistic design
c) more cohesive plot

If you could say anything bad about OOE, it would be that some of the levels are a bit too straight-liney...more like Contra than Castlevania. Except not as hard.

I've tried to play through Dawn of Sorrow twice without success - I just get bored with it halfway through or find a spot I need a certain soul to pass and no matter how many of them I kill they don't give up a soul and I stop playing out of frustration. I really want to try OoE though, so I'm once again playing through DoS, hoping to finish it this time around.

I haven't tried PoR, but I haven't enjoyed a Metroidvania since the GBA games tbh - and I guess I still rank SotN as my favorite of that style of Castlevania.

Grinding exists in all the Castlevania games, but I have to say I spent the most time soul grinding in DoS and powering up the souls. It takes a while.

This isn't a recommendation. It's a command. If you're a FPS fan and you have a DS (which you should since you are reading this thread) get Call of Duty: World at War. Wifi is awesome with a smooth framerate and well constructed maps. A little GAF 2v2 action would be sweet.

DemDereNads said:
Thanks, I actually went looking for Ninjatown before Lock's quest, but Kmart didn't have it for me to use my $25 coupon, but I ended up getting in on the gamespot $15 deal, but still haven't received it yet.

I also already have AW Dark Ruin - certainly a fun game, although I have yet to see any base type building, although I'm only a few missions into it.

Wow, I dare anyone to attempt to explain how any DS game is better than Ninjatown!

Only downside is the game seems pretty short. Couple hours of played time, and I'm already 22% done? :( Don't leave me Ninjatown!

xSL4INx

Man, I always keep forgetting that I need to pick up Soul Bubbles, especially since it's like, $10 at Toys R Us right now. >_<

And I watched some game play for CoD:WaW for DS and it looks like it handles well.

xSL4INx said:
And I watched some game play for CoD:WaW for DS and it looks like it handles well.

It really does. That's what surprised me so much and am gutted that many will pass this game over even though, in my opinion, it's the DS multiplayer game of the year.

Xisiqomelir

Jeff-DSA said:
I play my DS...a lot.

stack.jpg

And that's with a few missing from each stack, but the most missing from the DS stack.

My collection stacked up looks exactly like this (except I don't even have the 360 or PSP piles)

Hive

Banned
Gamecocks625 said:
It really does. That's what surprised me so much and am gutted that many will pass this game over even though, in my opinion, it's the DS multiplayer game of the year.

A Call of Duty sequel was announced for DS a few days ago~ Surprise! :lol

I won't pick up a CoD title for the DS until I know that the best one has already been developed~

Hive said:
A Call of Duty sequel was announced for DS a few days ago~ Surprise! :lol

I won't pick up a CoD title for the DS until I know that the best one has already been developed~

It already has.

As for a sequel. Great! Looking forward to it late next year.

Hootie

Whoa, according to gamestop.com my local store has a used Electroplankton in stock!

I actually got this game at launch but like an idiot, I traded it away.

Man I hope it's a complete copy...

zigg

Xisiqomelir said:
My collection stacked up looks exactly like this (except I don't even have the 360 or PSP piles)

Yeah, my DS stack is about that high too, and I think there's probably a good 10-20 that I liked OK but not enough to keep. DS has such a great library, and $30 is so close to impulse-buy territory that I've rarely told myself "no".

Hive

Banned
Gamecocks625 said:
It already has.

As for a sequel. Great! Looking forward to it late next year.

by the looks of it, you're right~ The reviews for World at War are awesome and very surprising.. I'd like to see what the next iteration does before I decide to buy this, tho

Rufus

xSL4INx said:
Suck! Europe gets Fire Emblem DS today......U.S. doesn't even have a release date ;_;
It's usually the other way round, so stop whining. At least now you know how it feels. :p

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Days of Ruin > AW1 > AW2 > Dual Strike.

This ranking is in terms of pure strategy gameplay. The franchise was getting more and more unbalanced, until the balance got truly ridiculous in Dual Strike. And then IntSys reigned everything back in and made the best strategic AW experience yet, with Days of Ruin. They even exceeded AW1's pure strategery.

If you want to consider more than just strategy gameplay (storyline, extra features, etc.) Then I'd move Dual Strike above AW2 and maaaybe AW1 (AW1 is bare bones, Dual Strike is packed with extras), but otherwise the list is unchanged.

Hootie

Epic letdown in my search for Electroplankton

Went to Gamestop...looked for that blue case and found the generic gamestop used game case.

THEN, I look at the price tag and it's $60 goddamned dollars. Shit sucks...

Hootie said:
Epic letdown in my search for Electroplankton

Went to Gamestop...looked for that blue case and found the generic gamestop used game case.

THEN, I look at the price tag and it's $60 goddamned dollars. Shit sucks...

I saw an Electroplankton at a gamestop near me the other week. It was the real case and all, but $60 was just too steep for me. I really want the game though.

Hootie

Green Tentacle said:
I saw an Electroplankton at a gamestop near me the other week. It was the real case and all, but $60 was just too steep for me. I really want the game though.

Yeah I'd rather just take my chances trying to trade for it either here or at CAG

Dash

So what's the deal with the complete lack of hype for Rune Factory 2? The game has been reviewed by only a single site, and the official thread has only 20-some replies. Don't Harvest Moon-esque games usually attract a sizable following on GAF?

So I've got a $20 Best Buy gift card that's been sitting in my wallet since Christmas, and I'm feelin' the urge to buy a cheap new DS game since my Lite's been collecting dust in my room for a good while now. The last game I bought was Space Invaders Extreme.

So I went through Best Buy's website and assembled a list of $29.99 and under games that appeal to me and went over well with reviewers. I've listed them below with my comments.

Front Mission -- (a mecha SRPG from what I understand, didn't review too well but I enjoy SRPGs)
Bangai-O Spirits -- (been hearing about Bangai-O since the original but never played, heard this was good, also dirt cheap at $15.99)
Big Bang Mini -- (getting a lot of hype here on GAF lately)
Fire Emblem DS -- (I've been wanting to get into Fire Emblem for a long time since the GC one came out, SRPG love)
Metal Slug 7 -- (haven't played much Metal Slug but I rented Anthology for Wii and enjoyed myself)
Rune Factory 2 -- (luuuuuuurve Harvest Moon, heard these were great)
Castlevania OoE -- (again, heard this was great; I loved Dawn of Sorrow but Portrait of Ruin felt empty)
Dragon Quest IV -- (never played any DQ game ever, enjoy RPGs though)
Final Fantasy IV -- (never played any FF game for more than an hour, RPG etc)
Kirby Super Star -- (only Kirby game I've played through is Adventure, heard this is great)
Civilization Revolution -- (really enjoyed the 360 demo, love strategy games)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village -- (heard a lot of great things about this)

Here's my existing collection for reference:

Advance Wars Days of Ruin
Animal Crossing Wild World
Castlevania DoS
Castlevania PoR
Elite Beat Agents
Hotel Dusk
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Mario Hoops 3-on-3
Mario Kart DS
Meteos
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime Pinball
Nanostray
New Super Mario Bros.
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright 2
Sonic Rush
Space Invaders Extreme
Super Mario 64 DS
Tony Hawk's American Skateland

So here's where GAF hopefully comes in. I'm only buying one game. There are pros and cons for all of them. For example, I love Harvest Moon games, so I might get Rune Factory; but like I said, I love Harvest Moon games, and I own two already, just like I own two Castlevanias. I enjoy a good shooter too, but I already own several shooters. Still, Bangai-O at $16 is hard to walk away from. I'm leaning towards one of the RPGs since my library is shallow on that end, maybe Fire Emblem? I guess I can wait two weeks. I don't know. Opinions. Impressions. Commence.

Top Bottom