• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the DS Rocks - Official Game Recommendation Thread

stuminus3

This freakin' system is killing me, I have a DS backlog that's bigger than some people's entire videogame collection, and the damn thing just keeps on giving. I could have made the DS the only system I bought since 2004 and I'd still never run out of awesome games to play.

Ironically, I was one of those people who thought Nintendo were out of their minds when they first announced it, I pretty much ignored it until after the Lite was out.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Dragon Quest V and Henry Hatsworth are two excellent recent releases. And Rhythm Heaven is coming out soon, wooo!

mollipen

stuminus3 said:
This freakin' system is killing me, I have a DS backlog that's bigger than some people's entire videogame collection, and the damn thing just keeps on giving. I could have made the DS the only system I bought since 2004 and I'd still never run out of awesome games to play.

Not even getting into the amount of DS backlog I have period, I currently have 15 unopened DS games sitting on my shelf.

Ironically, I was one of those people who thought Nintendo were out of their minds when they first announced it, I pretty much ignored it until after the Lite was out.

I bought the DS for one specific reason: a friend of mine in Japan got a job at Nintendo, and the first game she worked on was Wario Ware Touched. Supporting her by buying the game was the only interest I had in the system, and I thought I'd be lucky to maybe find a few more games worth buying at some point. I thought the DS was going to be a "quaint" gaming platform, but that's about it.

Now I have 80+ games and it is by far my most played system of the current gen, and I've purchased five DSs so far. (Three for me, two for my wife.)

Oh yeah, how is Wario Ware: Touched, by the way? I've heard that it's one of the best, if not the best, Wario Ware games. Is it multiplayer?

WOA! FUCKIN 80 GAMES! WOW!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The original WW and WW Twisted are both significantly better than WW Touched, IMHO. But that doesn't make Touched a bad game.

TheGrayGhost said:
Henry Hatsworth is my kind of game. I think I'll pick it up over GTA.

Now, what do you guys think about March of Minis? From the videos I've seen, the visuals are sprucy and poilished, and the presentation is much improved over the GBA game. I love that it uses touch-only controls, but how is the game?

I liked it. But it's different from DK 94 and Mario vs DK.
If you played Mario vs DK, it's like the Mini Mario levels, only more developed and of course with stylus controls. It also has a level creation mode, which you can share via WFC.
Not a must-have, but I'd recommend it.

stuminus3

TheGrayGhost said:
Any opinions on March of the Minis? Generally, from what I've read, it's just decent. That's good enough for me. Anyone else?
March of the Minis is great, I think it's under-rated because it doesn't play like DK94 or the original Mario vs DK but it's actually pretty fantastic. It's like a cross between Lemmings and that old Krusty's Fun House game. Trying to get the gold star on every level will drive a man insane.

TheGrayGhost said:
Oh yeah, how is Wario Ware: Touched, by the way? I've heard that it's one of the best, if not the best, Wario Ware games. Is it multiplayer?

WOA! FUCKIN 80 GAMES! WOW!
Touched! is the weakest in the series, I personally find a couple of the boss stages are really crappy (that one where you scratch rainbows into a bucket doesn't even look like development on it was even finished), and the Mike levels are totally stupid and annoying, but otherwise it's pretty superb.

I have quite a few more than 80 DS games... I should take a picture... :lol

leroidys

TheGrayGhost said:
Henry Hatsworth is my kind of game. I think I'll pick it up over GTA.

Now, what do you guys think about March of Minis? From the videos I've seen, the visuals are sprucy and poilished, and the presentation is much improved over the GBA game. I love that it uses touch-only controls, but how is the game?

I enjoyed it a lot. Definitely NSTs best creation. Quite a bit of content and great reuse of some classic but not often visited mario universe assets.

stuminus3 said:
Touched! is the weakest in the series, I personally find a couple of the boss stages are really crappy (that one where you scratch rainbows into a bucket doesn't even look like development on it was even finished), and the Mike levels are totally stupid and annoying, but otherwise it's pretty superb.

I have quite a few more than 80 DS games... I should take a picture... :lol

:lol I love the rainbow bucket boss. The guy is obviously tripping on acid at the club.

I agree that touched is the weakest of the wario ware games, but if you can get it cheap there's a lot of fun to be had. I think both gba games and smooth moves (which I really enjoy, despite gaf) are better.

braves01

Banned
stuminus3 said:

I don't know. I think Smooth Moves is easily the worst in the series, and Touched! is still holds its own against the other ones.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
GTA:Chinatown Wars, which I remember scoffing at during the E3 presentation, talking bullshit about it with gems like "this cash-in project it's going to be one big turd of a game" and "yay, it'll rival the GBA game as the game that shamed Rockstar", it's now laughing at me, easily sitting in my TOP 5 DS Games.
It is, without any doubt, my favourite western developed game on the platform.
I mean, even the minigames are actually fun and make sense, and how shocking it is to see non-gimmicky use of the DS' features? Ace.

Don't shoot me, but I've never liked the 2-D top down GTA that much, so I'm also glad that the game chose an isometric-like dynamic camera, it certainly adds a lot to the gameplay.

Oh, and the game is visually brilliant, don't get fooled by the screenshot and look around for some videos (or visiti the official thread I guess).
Fucking A, a true must-have.
...especially if you got fooled by GTAIV :p

Has anyone played Real Soccer 2009 by Gameloft? It's only $10, and the stylus controls look very interesting. I may just give it a go at such a great price but wanted to hear from any Gafers that may have had spent some time with it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
There's gotta be a good 100 games you oculd own if you got every good title plus a dozen or so niche titles that may appeal to you on this system.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
In fact, I'll make a list right now, just glancing through the titles in the DS category on gamefaqs.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Age of Empires: Mythologies
Age of Empires: The Age of Kings
Animal Crossing Wild World

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
ASH
Avalon Code
Big Brain Academy
Blue Dragon Plus

Brain Age
Break Em All
Bust a Move DS
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Chibi Robo: Park Patrol
Children of Mana (okay, maybe not)
Chrono Trigger DS
Clubhouse Games

Contact
Contra 4
Diddy Kong Racing
Disgaea DS
Donkey Kong Jungle Climber

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Elite Beat Agents

Etrian Odyssey
Etrian Odyssey II
Feel the Magic XY/XX
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles DS
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Game Center CX
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Hotel Dusk
Kirby Squeak Squad
Kirby Super Star Ulta

Kirby Canvas Curse
Legacy of Ys: Books 1 and 2
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Lost in Blue
Lost in Blue 2

Lost in Blue 3
Lost Magic
Luminous Arc
Luminous Arc 2
Lunar Knights

Magical Starsign
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Mario & Luigi 3
Mario Basket 3 on 3
Mario Kart DS

Mario vs Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Double Team
Mega Man Star Force
Mega Man Star Force 2
Mega Man Star Force 3

Mega Man ZX
Mega Man ZX Advent
Metal Slug 7
Meteos
Meteos: Disney Magic

Metroid Prime Pinball
Metroid Prime Hunters
Nanostray
Nanostray 2
New Super Mario Bros.

Nintendogs
Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
Pac 'n Roll
Peggle Dual Shot
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations
Picross DS
Planet Puzzle League
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Polarium
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Resident Evil: Deadly Silence
Rhythm Tengoku
Rune Factory

Rune Factory 2
Shining Force Feather
Soma Bringer
Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure

Space Invaders Extreme
Star Fox Command
Suikoden Tierkreis
Super Mario 64 DS
Super Princess Peach

Tetris DS
Trace Memory
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble!
Wario Ware Touched
The World Ends With You
Worms: Open Warfare 2 (1 is awful)
Yoshi Touch & Go

Yoshi Island DS

... by my count, I just listed 112 games. Jesus christ o_O

And I'm sure I forgot some games.

Not to mention I deliberately left out some japanese exclusives, like Goemon DS and Jump Super Stars.

I really must give a nod to Suikoden. As a fan of the series, this certainly satisfies a big chunk of what Ive been missing. Sure, its not 100% suikoden 1 and 2, but its got a log going for it. The battle system has the EXACT same flow and speed as 1 and 2, which alleviates a ton of the doubt that I had for it. Im only 3 hours in, and its been a great experience so far. Go pick it up, as its a nice rpg so far. As a suikoden fan, I can say that Im happy.

Its much closer to what we wanted than we first thought...it definitely seems to have the suiko-touch gameplay wise.

Insaniac

I'm kind of burnt out on the DS. Some if it's due to lack of research on DS games that have been coming out lately (thus a lower excitement/interest) and some of it's due to lack of money, and some of it's due to the fact that my brother's DSL is busted and there's been no multiplayer.

However I want to jump back in, but I need recommendations:

I enjoy games like FFTA/FFTA2 style and good puzzle games (loved Meteos, Tetris DS)

Been thinking about grabbing Fire Emblem and Scrabble so far.

braves01

Banned
Insaniac said:
I'm kind of burnt out on the DS. Some if it's due to lack of research on DS games that have been coming out lately (thus a lower excitement/interest) and some of it's due to lack of money, and some of it's due to the fact that my brother's DSL is busted and there's been no multiplayer.

However I want to jump back in, but I need recommendations:

I enjoy games like FFTA/FFTA2 style and good puzzle games (loved Meteos, Tetris DS)

Been thinking about grabbing Fire Emblem and Scrabble so far.

Have you considered Peggle or maybe Henry Hatsworth? Neither one is a straight up puzzle game, but I think both might be appealing to puzzle gamers. Plus, Peggle's only $20 at Gamestop right now.

Nice puzzle platformer for $20:

943161_103132_front.jpg

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 is damn addictive. Despite my having several issues with it. It's certainly better than FFTA1 so if you like that it's pointless to resist.

m14

Blablurn said:
does the DS have a good football manager game?

I think there is only Football Director DS, which looks worth trying despite some mixed reviews.

http://www.footballdirector.com/

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/DS/Football+Director+DS/review.asp?c=9294

http://www.gamerankings.com/ds/950869-football-director-ds/index.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001DCKXQU/

EDIT: Apparently you can only manage as English teams, although you can still buy players from other nations. :(

Vinci

Danish
Archie said:
3D Picross is cum worthy. Best game on the DS and probably the best handheld game ever.

DAMN IT

I knew I was forgetting a game on my 'To-Buy' list. Thanks for the reminder.

Finally picked up The World Ends With You. Truly a stunning game in terms of presentation and gameplay. SO accomplished and fun. The music suffers a bit being on a cart (it's fun at first but oh man the basic themes get repetitive).

Not just one of the best DS games I own, but easily one of the best RPGs as well.

Jazzem

BenjaminBirdie said:
Finally picked up The World Ends With You. Truly a stunning game in terms of presentation and gameplay. SO accomplished and fun. The music suffers a bit being on a cart (it's fun at first but oh man the basic themes get repetitive).

Not just one of the best DS games I own, but easily one of the best RPGs as well.

I didn't pick it up until six months or so after its release, and it's ended up becoming my favourite DS game. The gameplay is spectacular and it's furiously addictive. I'm still playing it post-completion so I can 100% the game :) Something I rarely do in RPG's.

Broseybrose

Jazzem said:
I didn't pick it up until six months or so after its release, and it's ended up becoming my favourite DS game. The gameplay is spectacular and it's furiously addictive. I'm still playing it post-completion so I can 100% the game :) Something I rarely do in RPG's.
same situation here. IT'S THAT GOOD!

legend166

Any impressions of Fire Emblem? I'm about to finish Chrono Trigger, so I need something. I've never played a FE game before, but I love Advance Wars, so I can do Strategy/RPG.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I actually get overwhelmed and mildly stressed out over how many fuck awesome games are on the DS, and just below the fuck awesome you have a load of great games and below those a bunch of games that are just my type that I can't get anywhere else and then you have the sublime remakes of amazing games I never played right alongside re-releases of games I would love to replay.

I own about 40 DS games and there are EASILY another 80 I want.

never happened with any other gaming machine. I'm not just some hyper active game whore either, I've ignored huge games like Halo, Starcraft, half life, virtua tennis etc etc

I'm picky as hell and yet this machine drives me nuts. I actually quit playing cos the ocd in me got annoyed that I could never play it all so I might as well go do something else.

but today booted up Trauma Centre 2 and PW Trials & Tribulations, even yu gi oh and had a blast with 3 games that simply would not work for me on any other system.

DS LOVE.

Jon

I can't get over how great Henry Hatsworth is. This game should win all the "Best New IP" awards at the end of the year. It's still early, but it is my game of the year so far.

Baconbitz

Banned
Could someone explain the premise of contact? Give me details and impressions? I have been wanting it. Also Touch detective 1 and 1 and 1/12th.

Llyranor

legend166 said:
Any impressions of Fire Emblem? I'm about to finish Chrono Trigger, so I need something. I've never played a FE game before, but I love Advance Wars, so I can do Strategy/RPG.
They bear some similarity. Both are made from the same developer. The main difference is that instead of building up new units every mission, your characters level up and carry over throughout the game. If your characters die, they're gone for good (which is awesome). You can either restart your missions to make sure no one dies, or you can just play 'iron mode' and let people die when it happens (you should have enough of a character pool to not have that ruin your game). It follows a weapon/magic triangle, more or less like the rock-paper-scissors mechanics of AW.

If you love AW, you really should give FE a try.

bounchfx

Jon said:
I can't get over how great Henry Hatsworth is. This game should win all the "Best New IP" awards at the end of the year. It's still early, but it is my game of the year so far.

agree. the game is SO good.

and this thread is pure win.

DS is a fucking amazing beast. I just really hope that the rest of the FF games are remade like 3 and 4 were. full catalog(well most) on one system = win

I would like to see an update to the OP, as it hasn't been updated in over a year. Although then again, the OP already is ridiculously big, and I fear how much bigger it would have to grow to include all the games that have had information about them released in the last year.

There are tons of games, but most from third parties that don't really interest me. After Rhythm Heaven, I have my eye on Mario and Luigi 3, and, of course, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. I'm getting hot just thinking about it. With any luck, it'll surpass PH as the best DS game, ever. <3 <3 <3

Christopher said:
what good games are coming out this year???

anything??

Hmm...
- Mario & Luigi RPG3
- WarioWare Made in Me
- Zelda Spirit Tracks
- Great Giana Sisters DS -- still has to release in NA; pretty good old school platformer.
- Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times -- an Animal Crossing clone by Konami (already out in EU)
- Gyakuten Kenji -- who knows if it'll make it out these year in English, though...

And probably a million RPGs I don't care about.

BTW I tried Tokyo Beat Down a couple days ago and it's pretty mediocre. Get TMNT GBA if you want a good portable beat em up.

Actually there's not a lot on the schedule as of yet for 2009, but still some great ones to look forward to.
Mario and Luigi
Phantasy Star 0
Knights in the Nightmare
Scribblenauts

i'm guessing we will see Professor Layton 2
and if Dragon Quest 9 doesn't get delayed again i think we will see it in the 4th Q

legend166

bounchfx said:
agree. the game is SO good.

and this thread is pure win.

DS is a fucking amazing beast. I just really hope that the rest of the FF games are remade like 3 and 4 were. full catalog(well most) on one system = win

Cool thanks, I think I'll pick it up.

Top Bottom