• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the DS Rocks - Official Game Recommendation Thread

Barrett2

So what are the thoughts on Fire Emblem? I don't like Advance Wars, but I really enjoyed Age of Empires. Im' burnt out on JRPGs right now, but I thought Fire Emblem might be a good fit.

kaskade

I just picked up Henry Hatsworth based the the glowing recommendations. I'll be playing it during the Easter traveling.

Struct09

lawblob said:
So what are the thoughts on Fire Emblem? I don't like Advance Wars, but I really enjoyed Age of Empires. Im' burnt out on JRPGs right now, but I thought Fire Emblem might be a good fit.

In terms of gameplay there's lots of parallels between Fire Emblem and Advance Wars, so it would be hard to recommend FE if you don't like AW. I personally find both series to be great.

leroidys

Allan Holdsworth said:
Hmm...
- Mario & Luigi RPG3
- WarioWare Made in Me
- Zelda Spirit Tracks
- Great Giana Sisters DS -- still has to release in NA; pretty good old school platformer.
- Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times -- an Animal Crossing clone by Konami (already out in EU)
- Gyakuten Kenji -- who knows if it'll make it out these year in English, though...

And probably a million RPGs I don't care about.

BTW I tried Tokyo Beat Down a couple days ago and it's pretty mediocre. Get TMNT GBA if you want a good portable beat em up.

I thought a NA release for Mario and Luigi was still not announced? Please tell me I'm wrong.

lawblob said:

I don't like advance wars either, but FE is really good. I also love AoE (never played the ds games though, so I don't know if this applies, I assume you're talking about these.)

Advance Wars to me is just more about finding the 'solution' for clearing a map than actual strategy, where as FE games have far far more freedom and allow you to use any tactics that you want. A much better strategy game to me.

Another not so well known puzzle game with some platforming elements is Loopop Cube: Loop * Salad DS

02.jpg
03.jpg

04.jpg
06.jpg

Here is a trailer
and a review.

BobM

I recently bought and am playing

Big Bang Mini - AWESOME schmup. Great visuals, excellent pacing, and PLENTY challenging. Oh, and the music aint bad either.

GTA Chinatown Wars - This game is taking up alot of my time. The visuals are sooo cool, playing a GTA game from an isometric POV is so much fun. The driving feels just right, the controls feel great, AND using your DS as your in game i-phone is so cool.
The missions are great for a portable game so far as well. None of that 4 part mission BS (at least not so far) The missions so far (and i am still very early on) are creative as well. So far there has been a surprising amount of variety compared to what i have come to expect from a GTA game. I also foudn a fun bum killing mini game that is a blast tp play.

Mystery Dungeon Shiren the Warrior - Addicting old school roguelike. This game is about as hardcore as it gets, and i love every bit of it. This game IMO is a CLASSIC. Right up the with the greats.

KORG DS-10 - Emulating a KORG MS-20 Synthasizer, this game comes packed with almost every feature you could want (except for midi) This "game" is a full blown syth with 2 dual voice oscilators, all the knobs and sliders you need. We are talking ADSR, Envelope Generators, Portamento, the works. Use preset sounds if your a noob, or make every sound from scratch from a base waveform. No samples here young lad. Top that off with a 16-step sequencer, song matrix, and effects and you have everythign you need to make your own masterpiece on the go.

Chrono Trigger - need i say more? Fucking Chrono Trigger on the go bitches!

xSL4INx said:
Everyone that has $15 needs to go pick up Boing! Docomodake. I'm playing that right now and absolutely loving it.
Does GAF have an official thread for this? I might be more interested in it if it did. As it is now, though, I can't find much information about it.

leroidys said:
I thought a NA release for Mario and Luigi was still not announced? Please tell me I'm wrong.

That is correct. NoA last scheduled DS release is in June.

Which is The Legendary Starfy. I forgot about it because I already have the Japanese version. Good game for platformer fans, but it's not as good as the 2nd & 3rd GBA ones, and it's very easy. Still, I guess it can be included in the "interesting upcoming games" list.

On another note,
Good puzzle-platformers/puzzle action or whatever?
Mario vs DK 2
Docomodake
? Loopop Cube: Loop * Salad DS -- looks interesting at least, although I'm not a fan of pushing blocks

Anything else?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
14064.jpg

I can't stop playing this game. It's so addicting and fun. I love that you can play with others over Wi-Fi, but unfortunately I haven't added anyone to my friend's list yet and I've only played with random people. In my three times playing with random people, there was some noticeable lag and sometimes jumping and combat would be impossible (when I was playing with people from Japan), but within my region (US), it seemed to be somewhat decent. I love the single player experience though!

I impulse bought Docomodake over the weekend (but I paid $20...where is it $15??) and it is pretty neat. It's been a long time since I found a hidden gem! It seems like everything worthwhile is somewhat-known nowadays.

ltse1 said:
Black Sigil delayed 'til 5/12/09.....come on, this team really is dragging its feet on this project.
Delays such as this are common from smaller publishers. It may not be the team's fault.

Volcynika

Rummy Bunnz said:
Delays such as this are common from smaller publishers. It may not be the team's fault.

Just asking, do you remember when the title was actually announced? :p

It's almost approaching 3 years since they announced it was heading for the DS (originally for the GBA).

I'd like to stand up for Super Princess Peach. I'm playing through it again and having an absolute blast. Sure it's easy, but it's fun, and it looks fantastic. Highly recommended for any platformer fan. If you can find it, you should pick it up. It's still one of my favorite DS games.

Volcynika said:
Just asking, do you remember when the title was actually announced? :p

It's almost approaching 3 years since they announced it was heading for the DS (originally for the GBA).
Yeah, but it's not a big delay! It's a little one. They're common. So I'd cut them a teeny bit of slack.

(This is the game that looked like it ripped sprites from SNES Square RPGs right?)

Chairhome

So, I'm thinking about getting Civilization Revolution. I've played Civ IV pretty moderately on the PC, and I loved it. I tried my friend's copy of Civ Rev and it was pretty nice, it felt like Civ IV but toned down. But I also hear great things about Anno 1701. I know almost nothing about the series, but I hear its a great game, too. Is Anno turn-based or real time?

Which would you recommend?

JodyAnthony said:
I'd like to stand up for Super Princess Peach. I'm playing through it again and having an absolute blast. Sure it's easy, but it's fun, and it looks fantastic. Highly recommended for any platformer fan. If you can find it, you should pick it up. It's still one of my favorite DS games.

Agreed, its such a beautiful game. I remember playing it for the first time and just falling in love, it had been so long since I'd seen my beloved Super Mario enemies/characters in a 2D platformer (like the Gombas and Koopa Troopers etc). Wonderfully drawn and animated. <3

Plus its what got my GF into DS (her fav character is Princess Peach), now she plays DS all the time. :D

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
This video is a pretty good rundown on Docomodake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNrqXBCUgXQ

I still haven't picked it up yet, but it is definitely on my to-buy list. I just have to clear away more of my backlog before buying anything new.

... speaking of which, I wholeheartedly recommend Henry Hatsworth and Rhythm Heaven.

Dragmire

Allan Holdsworth said:
Hmm...
- Mario & Luigi RPG3
- WarioWare Made in Me
- Zelda Spirit Tracks
- Great Giana Sisters DS -- still has to release in NA; pretty good old school platformer.
- Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times -- an Animal Crossing clone by Konami (already out in EU)
- Gyakuten Kenji -- who knows if it'll make it out these year in English, though...

And probably a million RPGs I don't care about.

BTW I tried Tokyo Beat Down a couple days ago and it's pretty mediocre. Get TMNT GBA if you want a good portable beat em up.
Okay, I hadn't heard of WarioWare Made in Me, and I loves me some WarioWare, so I looked it up. This is what it said on 1up:
1up said:
But the most intriguing new title revealed isn't for the DSi Ware store at all: Called Made in Me, it's a new DS game created by the WarioWare team that allows you to make your own WarioWare-styled mini-games. You can then play the games on your DS, or -- with an accompanying Wii game -- you can upload and play them on your console. We imagine something close to Little Big Planet, only completely insane.
That sounds so awesome. I hope this comes to the US. If Rhythm Heaven can (with Beyonce ads no less), this surely can.

Also, Docomodake is definitely a game I would enjoy. I just can't afford it right now, nor do I have the time to play any more games. :p

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Dragmire said:
That sounds so awesome. I hope this comes to the US. If Rhythm Heaven can (with Beyonce ads no less), this surely can.
If there's any sense of justice left in NoA or NoE, Made in Ore must be localized. I think it will but we never know for sure these days.

So has there been any word about the CycloDS Evolution working with the DSi lately? I haven't been able to find any info from this year at the team's page and their forum seems to be MIA for me.

sk3tch

onegoodlogan said:
So has there been any word about the CycloDS Evolution working with the DSi lately? I haven't been able to find any info from this year at the team's page and their forum seems to be MIA for me.

It will likely require a new card...that's what Acekard had to do.

bridegur

JodyAnthony said:

Yeah, fantastic game. I'd say it was as much fun for me as NSMB.

Any impressions of Great Giana Sisters?

Great, thanks a lot douchebag.
Now I'm going to buy a DS.
As if I didn't have enough shit to waste my money on as it is.

Seriously, man. Excellent thread.

DubloSeven said:
Can anyone here recommend Civilization Revolutions for the DS?

I love the concept and really enjoyed playing it. It's a great little distilled form of Civ with alot less micromanagement. The only possible problems are an experienced Civ player or 3X strategy gamer may find it limited in scope and the AI is a little weak once you really learn the game. If you don't take it too seriously it can be great fun.

I really hope they make a Civilization Revolution DS 2 with an improved AI/difficulty and more customizable settings.

Or better yet Alpha Centauri DS.

DubloSeven said:
Can anyone here recommend Civilization Revolutions for the DS?

YES.

The game is fine on the console, but with my computer and Civ IV I feel no urge to sit on the couch and play it. On the DS, though, it's a blast, and the lite ruleset makes for a great portable experience. If you like Civ, get it. If you don't like Civ, get it and you will.

womp

bridegur said:
Yeah, fantastic game. I'd say it was as much fun for me as NSMB.

Any impressions of Great Giana Sisters?

Shockingly good, very polished. Starts out a bit easy and the levels are mere minutes long but it is very fun. It's worth picking up just based on its history if anything and the fact it not only exists but on a Nintendo console to boot.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Any impressions of Knights in the Nightmare yet? Not like I need to waste 60+ hours on another strategy RPG, but.. :D

BitchTits

Baconbitz said:
Could someone explain the premise of contact? Give me details and impressions? I have been wanting it. Also Touch detective 1 and 1 and 1/12th.

Anyone?
Contact, to me, felt like an homage to 16-bit. I enjoyed it, but not without frustration, kinda like many older games really!

It's a very simple action RPG, the combat is that time based Chrono Trigger type (I don't like it, but what they hey). I think the combat could use some work, a sequel might've straightened out a lot of the kinks. It kind of breaks the forth wall story wise, it's fun. but I felt it didn't explain the mechanics of the game to me very well - cooking, the sticker things. (GameFAQs filled in the gaps with the dog, etc).

It was a lot of fun, I stuck with it to the end despite it's flaws. Worth getting cheap no doubt.

Chairhome said:
So, I'm thinking about getting Civilization Revolution. I've played Civ IV pretty moderately on the PC, and I loved it. I tried my friend's copy of Civ Rev and it was pretty nice, it felt like Civ IV but toned down. But I also hear great things about Anno 1701. I know almost nothing about the series, but I hear its a great game, too. Is Anno turn-based or real time?

Which would you recommend?
Anno is real time. If you're from EU/PAL, there's a newer Anno game out there. I prefer Anno over Civ IV. Though Age of Something games are also fun.

Dragmire

Dragmire said:
Also, Docomodake is definitely a game I would enjoy. I just can't afford it right now, nor do I have the time to play any more games. :p
Wow, I had forgotten that I posted that. I actually ended up buying it for $20 on Amazon and loving it and beating it. It's a really clever platform puzzle game that's really well designed. And it's just happy. I love games like that. I highly recommend it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
Which of the 3 Castlevanias is the best? I'm aware this has prob been asked a million times now and I don't have a preference for classic vs. metroidvania

100% of people would say either Dawn of Sorrow or Order of Ecclesia.

I think most of those people would say Order of Ecclesia because it actually varied up the formula for once and because it's hard in a good way.

Which of the 3 Castlevanias is the best? I'm aware this has prob been asked a million times now and I don't have a preference for classic vs. metroidvania

Order of Ecclesia changes the formula around the most, and it also had a 2-year development cycle instead of just 1; it recevied an extremely enthusiastic response upon release here. You'd definitely get this as your most common answer for which of the three is best, although there'd be some support for DoS too, especially because it has the best post-game alternate mode of the three.

Almost nobody's going to say Portrait of Ruin. It's got some system problems but the big issue is that it just doesn't feel like a polished, finished product; the level design is lousy and later on the game starts repeating the themes of areas you've already passed through instead of bothering to have new designs.

Wizpig

Play all 3 Castlevania DS games in order, starting with Dawn of Sorrow which is also the best.

I've only played Dawn of Sorrow (first) and Order of Ecclesia (third) and found the latter to be the better game.

Emotions

Avalon Code (Matrix Software)
Theresia (WorkJam)
Moon (Renegade Kid)
Rondo of Swords (Success)
Luminous Arc 1 & 2 (Image Epoch)

aren't bad either

Top Bottom