• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the hell did Microsoft shoot their gun so EARLY? (NO ONE GETS ITT!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah we had the patents and everything. and insiders that also leaked pretty good specifics about the hardware said they are actually implementing these locks. and that was really close to the final reveal... and after the reveal Sony higher ups dodged questions about these patents when asked if used games would work on PS4, they were not able to just say yes they danced around it giving vague answers.

basically the system would lock the serial code that was unique to each disc (stored in the inner most lane on the disc) and that disc would then be only playable on the PS5 you installed it on first.
If this was true, then this would've been common knowledge and talked about on the countless of game websites.

I'm gonna file this under the folder "petty conspiracy theories".

Jtibh

Banned
Is this a Twin Peaks reference!?
rsz_1rsz_5z1dito.png

SP6PXQ6.png

phil_t98

#SonyToo
That's very true.

I guess my concern is why did they release it in such an anticlimactic way through an article? I know Mark Cerny did the same thing, but Xbox reveals these kind of things in a rather monumental way alà The Game Awards 2020.
Because when they show it for realy it will be all about games this time. Last time they did tv blah blah blah. This time the specs are revealed the design is revealed so the next phase is showing games. They are a step ahead of Sony at this point, just showing what they got. Who knows they may release it soon than expected?

Banned
If this was true, then this would've been common knowledge and talked about on the countless of game websites.

I'm gonna file this under the folder "petty conspiracy theories".

I'm pretty sure you can easily find these reports still and maybe even the interviews where they danced around the question when asked.

also the patents are publicly available as well so they should be easy to find too

edit:

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
I'm just completely shocked that Xbox would reveal its specs in such an anticlimactic way rather than having a full-blown reveal event like a Mark Cerny Extravaganza.

Did Xbox suddenly realize that PlayStation has a beast of a console with a very similar Teraflops benchmark? Is this the reason why they wanted to get ahead of the game so quickly and nonchalantly to the point that I had to find out this news on GAF and not on the Big Stage of E3?

Mark Cerny is one scary dude if he forced Xbox to shoot its biggest load prematurely like this. I just can't wait to see how PlayStation 5 is gonna look like, sound like, smell like, and most importantly, play like ;)

Did you say the same thing when Sony revealed the PS4 early instead of waiting for E3? I doubt it. Sony was so confident that their system was more powerful and also sure that it was too late for MS to change course, that they revealed it early. Sounds to me like the situation has reversed this coming gen, MS is so confident that their console is more powerful and know that it's too late for Sony to make any significant changes.

Last edited:
Because its simple, they got nothing to fear. If Sony are waiting for Microsoft to give them something then there is it

They gave them lots of info and shat on them so its okay Sony, its time to get out off the basement.
I'm pretty shocked that Sony kind of dropped the ball when it comes to controlling the momentum/narrative of Next-Gen hype.

I hope they realize gamers even myself are gonna start to get worried if no info gets released soon enough....

Banned
Imagine wasting my time when the reality was Xbox publicly tried to do this and danced around the questions, not Sony.

the thing is the guy who leaked that the PS4 would block used games also leaked basically the exact hardware config of the second dev kit (the 4GB one)

and I am glad that Microsoft got shit for that so hard that Sony and eventually Microsoft both dropped it. if Sony didn't have time to prepare their asskicking at E3 2013, Microsoft might have gone through with their plans

Mista

Banned
Not really. If this was the case, then they could've saved this at E3, but they didn't.
Why waste the limited time of E3 when you can get rid of this info and concentrate fully on games?

I'm pretty shocked that Sony kind of dropped the ball when it comes to controlling the momentum/narrative of Next-Gen hype.

I hope they realize gamers even myself are gonna start to get worried if no info gets released soon enough....
Everyone should be worried at this point including me. Like for fuck sake you dominated the current generation why are you acting the way that Microsoft should act and not you?

Did you say the same thing when Sony revealed the PS4 early instead of waiting for E3? I doubt it. Sony was so confident that their system was more powerful and also sure that it was too late for MS to change course, that they revealed it early. Sounds to me like the situation has reversed this coming gen, MS is so confident that their console is more powerful and know that it's too late for Sony to make any significant changes.
That may well be the harsh truth of the reality that we are in, but atleast Sony did it with a fantastic reveal event that truly helped them propel to the next level last gen.

I'm just still shocked at how nonchalantly Xbox revealed this megaton info today without any anticipation.

CyberPanda

Banned
That may well be the harsh truth of the reality that we are in, but atleast Sony did it with a fantastic reveal event that truly helped them propel to the next level last gen.

I'm just still shocked at how nonchalantly Xbox revealed this megaton info today without any anticipation.
It's like someone throwing cummies on you and running away. And you don't even know the cummie is on you.

Why waste the limited time of E3 when you can get rid of this info and concentrate fully on games?

Everyone should be worried at this point including me. Like for fuck sake you dominated the current generation why are you acting the way that Microsoft should act and not you?
That's very true.

Which makes this announcement from Microsoft even more peculiar as to what the intention behind it was. Sony needs to say something very soon or else they're gonna have a rough start to the next gen.

I'm still very disappointed in them fir not having a Mark Cerny Extravaganza event this month, and I really hope they don't hide behind the coronavirus bullshit any longer.

So far, Microsoft 1 - 0 Sony

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I just feel like Microsoft could've kept this huge load of info until E3 to maximize the effectiveness of their E3 presentation.

Instead, they pulled a Mark Cerny and revealed it online. The difference between the two was giving a tidbit of info and literally firing on all cylinders.
Maybe they havent blown their entire load yet, as you say. We dont know the details of the SSD, we dont know the clock speed. We still havent seen gameplay of halo infinite or what The Initiative is working on. We dont know what exactly that port on the back of the box is for. We dont know exactly what the deal between them and Samsung means.

Id hardly say we've seen everything Microsoft is planning this gen

GymWolf

OH BOY I CAN'T HECKIN WAIT TO PLAY THE NEWEST ENTRIES IN THE GEARS, HALO, FORZA, AND HELLBLADE FRANCHISES ON NEXT GEN
GAMES DON'T MATTER JUST THE CONSOLE SPECS

DaufpjI.gif
i mean, i'm sure santa monica, guerrilla, nd etc. are gonna deliver even with 9 tf, but can you onestly say that you hate the thought of santa monica, guerrilla, nd etc. with 12+ tf under their asses?

more is always better with console power.

nice gif 😆

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I admit: Microsoft officially raised the bar very high for Sony to match their 12TF, an achievement even I can't deny on a traditional gaming console.

Which is why i made this thread and questioning as to why they blew their load so early into the next gen hype phase?
Call me crazy but, I think because their confident about the power crown, so its about getting the specs out of the way. The 1st party offerings will be on another level too for XGS. So, maybe, shake up the community with banger specs, then come E3, whip out banger 1st party games that shows MS are also about exclusive games in general. Gotta remember, Xbox has never had the investment or backing in the exclusives like they do now. E3 will be all about new games and new 1st party initiatives in conjuction with Gamepass.

brap

Banned
i mean, i'm sure santa monica, guerrilla, nd etc. are gonna deliver even with 9 tf, but can you onestly say that you hate the thought of santa monica, guerrilla, nd etc. with 12+ tf under their asses?

more is always better with console power.

nice gif 😆
I don't really care tbh. Games look just fine now. Focus on the games instead of the power. Microsoft gets so much shit on here because they don't make anything new. A more powerful console isn't gonna make gears, halo and forza feel any less stale.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
OH BOY I CAN'T HECKIN WAIT TO PLAY THE NEWEST ENTRIES IN THE GEARS, HALO, FORZA, AND HELLBLADE FRANCHISES ON NEXT GEN
GAMES DON'T MATTER JUST THE CONSOLE SPECS

DaufpjI.gif
This is accurate. Cept for Gears. I can wait for that. But Hellblade...oooo nom nom. Halo? Get it right or pay the price. Forza? Bitch please...that shit is gonna melt faces.

Not to mention whatever else they got up their sleeves.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I don't really care tbh. Games look just fine now. Focus on the games instead of the power. Microsoft gets so much shit on here because they don't make anything new. A more powerful console isn't gonna make gears, halo and forza feel any less stale.
Your forgetting they have invested heavily in new studios. Also the multiplatform games are important to. Everybody seems to forget at the beginning of this gen Microsoft had the better games to start with but the PS4 had the power and people went with the power

Call me crazy but, I think because their confident about the power crown, so its about getting the specs out of the way. The 1st party offerings will be on another level too for XGS. So, maybe, shake up the community with banger specs, then come E3, whip out banger 1st party games that shows MS are also about exclusive games in general. Gotta remember, Xbox has never had the investment or backing in the exclusives like they do now. E3 will be all about new games and new 1st party initiatives in conjuction with Gamepass.

7JRV9JG.jpg

Gavon West

Your forgetting they have invested heavily in new studios. Also the multiplatform games are important to. Everybody seems to forget at the beginning of this gen Microsoft had the better games to start with but the PS4 had the power and people went with the power
Yeah, my mans reached ALLLLLL the way back to 2013 for that response. That's crazy! Their first party initiative has changes dramatically! I can guarantee it won't be just Gears, Forza and Halo next gen. Again, some of the kats see what they wanna see.

GymWolf

they have new studios tho.

Gavon West

I'm starting to think Sony may have messed up deciding not to attend next E3 already. At first I was like, "well. Guess they think its best". Though I didn't agree with it. Now, I'm starting to think they definitely messed up.

brap

Banned
lol what? Their output was trash this gen. If they have all these new studios they should tease something. Only fanboys care about specs.
Killzone Shadow Fall is legit one of the worst games I've ever played but I wouldn't act like Ryse or DR 3 are leaps and bounds ahead.

Gavon West

lol what? Their output was trash this gen. If they have all these new studios they should tease something. Only fanboys care about specs.
Killzone Shadow Fall is legit one of the worst games I've ever played but I wouldn't act like Ryse or DR 3 are leaps and bounds ahead.
Dude you try way too hard. Fucking sad...

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Specs aren't as big of a deal as some pundits seem to think, and they'd make for a boring powerpoint presentation at best in any console launch extravaganza.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Dude you try way too hard. Fucking sad...

Yeah Brap.. Sad

As4QS63.jpg

Gavon West

Lmao what the fuck is wrong with you? You suck phil spencers cock every waking moment and I'm the one trying too hard for not getting hyped up about specs like some kind of mouthbreather? Jesus christ.
Thanks for proving my point. Fucking sad and salty AF! You're just a ray of sunshine, ain't ya princess?? Lol The fuck outta here..

urmie

Cerny working that overtime to use that "rapid packed math" for more flops firmware that he never released for the PS4 onto the PS5. Just you wait, fp16 power!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom