• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why The Pre-Sequel is the Best Borderlands Game (LTTP: TPS and BL2)

Having recently beaten The Pre-Sequel and Borderlands 2 for the first time, I’d like to share my feelings about the two. As a disclaimer, I have not played the DLC for either game nor Tales from the Borderlands, but plan on working through the DLC in the next week or so. Listen to the amazingly chill and ambient soundtrack as you read along!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OjKorsH_H8

Let me start by saying that TPS felt unfairly ridiculed near its release. Complaints included legendaries being recycled from 2 and the season pass falling a bit short, value wise, compared to 2’s. While these are both valid complaints, this set an incredibly negative tone around the launch of the game for two relatively minor points. If you’re one of the goobers who buys a season pass without knowing what’s in it, that’s your own fault. It also has very little to do with the base game and should not have been considered in the game’s scoring. TPS faced the same glorified expansion pack accusations that 2 did, and it was just as wrong then as it is now.
5vZEErV.jpg

I preferred the humor in TPS compared to 2’s, vastly. 2 felt insanely grating to me at times, like someone repeatedly asking you to pull their finger and staring at you in ass-clenched anticipation. They just couldn’t wait for you to pull their fucking finger, and you knew exactly what was going to happen, yet they could barely contain their own laughter. That’s what the entirety of BL2’s humor felt like: forced, predictable, and flat.

The plot and main quest line in both are pretty much on par. Nothing amazing, but serviceable. TPS’s main quest line is slightly shorter, but I liked that it didn’t overstay its welcome. It tries to humanize the antagonist of BL2, which was an interesting spiral downwards and doesn’t feel contrived. The final boss in TPS was much better, having several forms and interesting mechanics vs BL2’s largely static fight. The side quests in TPS are far superior, too. NPCs are full of life and personality. I can remember almost all of the colorful side characters, whereas the majority of side quests in 2 were given by the cast from 1 and the rest were from boring NPCs with little personality or purpose. References feel appropriate for the setting in TPS: 2001: A Space Odyssey, System Shock 2, Star Wars, etc. Compare this to some of BL2’s hamfisted memes which rang hollow and haven’t aged well. 2’s desire to make a reference at any moment for the sake of making a reference also grew tiresome. It felt like they just wanted to cram as many in as they could, no matter how pointless and inane.

TPS improves on 2’s gameplay significantly. Almost everything is improved: movement, loot, elements, characters interacting during gameplay, the base cast having the most interesting action skills in the series...it’s wonderful. Antigravity, boosting, and butt stomps are great additions. They keep the flow of combat fluid, even when you’re reloading and popping heads while zipping through the air is immensely satisfying. It also helps address a major issue I’ve had with the series; moving through the big, open maps on foot is boring. Platforming up cliffs and across chasms keeps it fun and engaging, even when you’re just moving from point A to point B. There’s also a fun sense of adventure when you find hidden chests up high in hard to reach areas. Maintaining oxygen was never an issue for me, even when using a kit that gave me a measly pool of 50. Jump pads are a blast and I loved the platforming bits later in the game, probably some of the best first person platforming I’ve played. Thankfully there are very few flying enemies in TPS, though they’d be a lot less annoying with the additional vertical movement. They were truly a scourge on BL2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktgZ8kaS4Do

Loot drops felt much more balanced and shops are actually useful in TPS, so it’s always worth checking them. I found several legendaries in shops during my playthrough and it never broke the game’s difficulty while also giving money a use. I found just as many legendaries as I did purples in 2, whereas I was finding purples everywhere in TPS. Again, the game never felt too easy because of this, and kept the core gameplay loop of kill, loot, and use much more enticing. Whites had a purpose for a quest where 50 whites were needed and the grinder, which is a fantastic addition to the series. Combining useless loot for the chance to get something usable is just another enhancement that keeps you coming back. Moonstone, eridium’s replacement, finds more utility as it can also be used to make an improved piece of equipment, both in rarity and bonuses.

Gone is the tedious slag element that brought combat to a screeching halt due to needing to paint an enemy and switching to another gun. Cryo, which replaces it, is visually stunning and well thought out, giving a bonus to critical hit damage, explosive, and melee damage. During my playthrough, I used a character who specialized in this element. I was able to freeze enemies, glide to them, butt stomp, and bitchslap their face, causing them to shatter into floating ice chunks. If that’s not gaming bliss, I don’t know what is.

I loved how the characters regularly talked to themselves during combat, making comments about enemies, loot, and even what other players were doing. Frequently I’d hear my character tell everyone to stand behind Athena, who has a shield to block incoming damage. It helped the characters feel alive without being annoying and not just being a reskin of one another. The cast of characters in Pre-Sequel are the most interesting in the series, both from a plot and gameplay standpoint. Since all but one were featured in 2, it’s interesting to see their beginnings. All of the action skills feel great, including Willhelm’s, whose skill is closest to the dullest ones in the series (throwing a turret down). He has several skills to make it more active, such as picking a specific enemy to target, which will extend the duration of the skill if that enemy dies. Pre-Sequel also contains the most complex skill in the series, Fragtrap’s, which has up to 15 different outcomes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgr4O44rEc0

I could go on and on about this game. I bought this with relatively low expectations and was blown away. It’s my favorite of the three, by far, and changed my apathy towards the series. I’m now interested in playing Tales from the Borderlands, which I’ve heard is fantastic. The negativity surrounding TPS at launch and even now boggles my mind. Please, give this game a chance, even if you didn’t really care for the Borderlands series. It’s a wonderful swan song from 2K Australia and I’m going to be upset if the next Borderlands doesn’t follow the example set by The Pre-Sequel.

tl;dr: Either read it or play The Pre-Sequel, you prick.

BigDug13

I enjoy the game but the season pass was ridiculed because of the standard Gearbox set for the franchise in the previous 2 games. In comparison, this season pass was a joke. Borderlands fans blindly bought the season pass because the expectation of season pass content had already been set. They felt a bit betrayed by this one.

It's fine now in the handsome Jack collection, but I can definitely see why the $90 day one buyer felt burned.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Passed this up on the Steam Sale and kinda regret it now.

Seanspeed

Banned
Playing it right now and yea, it's really high quality. You're spot-on about the humor. It was a complaint of mine in BL2, but it's done well here.

I'm playing as Claptrap, and his sorta random skill use makes things really interesting, plus I just love Claptrap.

Could use a bit more environment variety from what I've seen so far. But yea, otherwise I'm having a great time with it. I also think it's a bit easier for solo players than BL2, which could get really difficult, frustratingly so at times.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. In my opinion, TPS is the worst Borderlands game, without a doubt.

That said, it is still a good game.

I didn't like how cheap it got near the end, what with jumping its enemies' levels up two or three on me and making the end fights a bitch as a result. I'd already done a ton of side quests and was leveled up pretty well. (In fact, that's one thing I'm not looking forward to via my second playthrough in the Handsome Collection which I already have.)

The Australian humour was also too intensive and in your face. I love Australia from abroad, but enough was enough. They weren't just making a game for Aussies.

The game didn't really push things forward all that much, either. It also wasn't as memorable.

BigDug13

Just no. The pre-sequel was an uninspired cash in that lacked any charm and wit of bl2.

I doubt the people at 2K Australia treated it like an uninspired cash in. That's a pretty hurtful description of something they obviously worked pretty hard on.

I liked it a lot, but it's not better. 80% of the game looks exactly the same thanks to the setting, the story is pretty uneventful in comparison to 2, the game is way shorter than 2, the game has tons of reused content from 2, the dlc is nothing compared to 2, and the characters aren't as fun to use as the ones in 2.
I only mention 2 because I didn't like 1.
TPS just has that feeling most sequel/presequels have when they're not made by the original creators. Like a lesser recreation. And it's no different here.

That being said, it's still a good game that if recommend to any fans of Borderlands 2 or anyone tired of Destiny's shit.

I only made it about 65% of the way through Borderlands 2 last gen, because I played too many games and it came out at a busy time. I was working my way through the rest and enjoying it, but then more games came out and the Handsome Collection was announced.

Right now, Borderlands 2 is what I've been focusing on, and I've beat its Captain Scarlet DLC plus a lot of its campaign. I'm nearing the end of the latter, based on a missions list I looked at.

It's a great game, and one I'd give a high review score to, but Borderlands was better.

I only made it about 65% of the way through Borderlands 2 last gen, because I played too many games and it came out at a busy time. I was working my way through the rest and enjoying it, but then more games came out and the Handsome Collection was announced.

Right now, Borderlands 2 is what I've been focusing on, and I've beat its Captain Scarlet DLC plus a lot of its campaign. I'm nearing the end of the latter, based on a missions list I looked at.

It's a great game, and one I'd give a high review score to, but Borderlands was better.

Done the Tiny Tina dlc yet? It's super rad.

Jyrii

Banned
Pre-Sequel is a bit like Arkham Origins; I have seen enough allready and it feels (is) more of the same.

I got excited after playing Tales from the Borderlands and bought it from the Steam sale, but it has been quite boring to play. Though it does not help I've been burn out from open world games.

I doubt the people at 2K Australia treated it like an uninspired cash in. That's a pretty hurtful description of something they obviously worked pretty hard on.

you could say this about about everyone in the industry..

anyways the presequel was alright i liked athena and jack as characters but after playing as those 2 i got bored and quit playing.

none of the new(or old) characters can top Krieg tho

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Tales from the Borderlands, man. Tales from the Borderlands. It's the Borderlands game you didn't know you were waiting for.

LOADERBOTTTTTTTT!!!!!

Re TPS. I'm really annoyed that the season pass was still priced at 20 bucks in the last sale. Way, way too expensive for what it contains. Hopefully we'll see a more reasonable ($10) price on it soon.

Despite being poor loot games, I've still gotten a lot of enjoyment out of this series. Haven't played The Pre-Sequel yet, mostly because the moon jumping has always been a turn off for me and I'm not sure if I'll be able to tolerate it for long in this game.

Seanspeed

Banned
Tales from the Borderlands, man. Tales from the Borderlands. It's the Borderlands game you didn't know you were waiting for.

LOADERBOTTTTTTTT!!!!!

Re TPS. I'm really annoyed that the season pass was still priced at 20 bucks in the last sale. Way, way too expensive for what it contains. Hopefully we'll see a more reasonable ($10) price on it soon.
A bit unfair to say it doesn't justify a $20 pricetag. It doesn't quite pack the same length/content as BL2 but not many games do.

Despite being poor loot games, I've still gotten a lot of enjoyment out of this series. Haven't played The Pre-Sequel yet, mostly because the moon jumping has always been a turn off for me and I'm not sure if I'll be able to tolerate it for long in this game.
The low gravity jumping is handled surprisingly well.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Can I just say that Tales From the Borderlands is the best Borderlands game? I really think it is. The other mainline games didn't grab me the way this did. The Borderlands lore is pretty rich, and I liked how Tales explores that. Love the characters and the humour too.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I agree with most of your post except the writing and humour. Sorry, but it was way better in BL2. Most of the humour in BL:TPS, particularly from the side-quests (main storyline was OK) either fell completely flat, or was downright try-hard and cringe-inducing. Their Star Wars reference/parody, for example, was probably some of the most unfunny and terrible shit out of all the games. I honestly can't believe you cite it as a good example, it was so lame. Side-quest design was generally better in BL2 as well. TPS was about on the level as BL1 in this regard I'd say.

Combat was better though. Freeze guns, low-gravity moon jumping, butt-slamming, verticality in level design, those are all great. And Athena is probably my favourite character to play so far (though Zer0 was seriously fun with the Kunai and B0re too).

I want the "trash" markers back though. Favourites + trash > just Favourites.

I feel like there's so little that BL2 did not improve on over BL1, so I'm really interested in hearing why you like the first the best.
Yeah I really don't get that. I have no desire to ever revisit BL1.

Nome

BL1 was unplayable after BL2, and BL2 is unplayable after TPS. It's clear to me, nostalgia aside, which the best game is.

This might seem like a strange opinion but to be honest the music was a huge part of Borderlands 2 to me. It helped set a really unique tone for the game and each area felt very distinct partly due to it. Pre-Sequel fell short musically in a profound way and it really impacted my enjoyment of the game. I think it's competent, and I think that some of the tweaks to its design were pretty well considered, but I just didn't have as good a time with it as I did with BL2.

chugen

bl1 was incredible and i loved it. bl2 was still good, liked it a lot, but it couldn't top the first. pre-sequel is a bad game.

Just no. The pre-sequel was an uninspired cash in that lacked any charm and wit of bl2.

I think it's a refined version of 2, with a more interesting cast of characters, some amazingly unique skills that far surpass 2's, and a simple addition to traversal that completely advances the game's feel and verticality. I agree with the OP that it's the best of the series, and I get the feeling that the only reason so many people hate on it is because it's only a minor advancement rather than a huge leap forward (hence why it isn't called BL3, what were you expecting?)

Really hoping for completely open world gameplay in Borderlands 3 though =)

BL1 was unplayable after BL2, and BL2 is unplayable after TPS. It's clear to me, nostalgia aside, which the best game is.

Just your opinion, I went back to the first and it still feels the better game.

The music and general vibe is better, the humour is less forced. The guns are better, particular pistols, there is Mordecai. The loot system felt better and the UI is better.

Just your opinion, I went back to the first and it still feels the better game.

The music and general vibe is better, the humour is less forced. The guns are better, particular pistols, there is Mordecai. The loot system felt better and the UI is better.

That's not saying much. This series has an atrocious UI. The colour scheme, windows everywhere all different sizes, excessive amounts of text, horrendous item management (on PC at least)... worst UI I've seen in a long time. Hopefully they take a good long look at Destiny's UI.

Zukuu

Banned
I'm inclined to not value your opinion seeing as how you described Borderlands 2 as having "charm and wit".

It introduced some cool NPCs and had tons of tons of funny references. Something Pre-Sequel lacks a big deal. My main complain with it is the level structure tho. They are SO uninspired and boring to be in.

Did they patch out the asinine air requirement? That killed it for me. I wasn't going to deal with a countdown timer for the entire game.

Fury451

Banned
I actually agree, the writing, humor, story, characters, and overall gameplay and guns are the best, and that's from a huge BL/BL2 fan. It's definitely the superior game, even with the slight annoyance of air cans.

I love the Oz Kits. Being in the vacuum of space with limited oxygen starts off being kind of a soft constraint very early in the game but very quickly morphs into an extremely fun combat mechanic once you get Oz Kits with combat modifiers for while you're "airborne" or when you do a stomp attack.

Athena with Xiphos and an Oz Kit is more absurd and fun a melee warrior than Brick or Zero.

Did they patch out the asinine air requirement? That killed it for me. I wasn't going to deal with a countdown timer for the entire game.

It's basically not even a constraint. It seems like it is very early in the game but it quickly becomes a really fun combat mechanic.

Seanspeed

Banned
Its really not bad at all in practice. I can see why it would sound annoying, but they handle it well and actually make it a worthy mechanic that shakes up the gameplay.

You can play as Claptrap and not worry about it, too.

Oh yea, another thing Presequel doesn't do as well as others is enemy variety. Its generally been one if the strengths of the series, but this one is lacking a bit from what I've played so far.

I hated the physics while in space, the bad humor, lame characters, so so story, bad level design, boring lasers, the jumping and Oz kits were annoying... they took a lot of steps back with this one. It looks prettier but it's clear it was made by an inferior team. The graphics are the only thing that was improved IMO. I am not even sure I can finish it after spending 150ish hours with 2.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I can't believe people actually prefer NPCs in TPS. Pretty much all of the new NPCs were bland and their defining character trait seemed to be little more than "Australian". Only Nurse Nina was actually amusing and memorable.
That's not saying much. This series has an atrocious UI. The colour scheme, windows everywhere all different sizes, excessive amounts of text, horrendous item management (on PC at least)... worst UI I've seen in a long time. Hopefully they take a good long look at Destiny's UI.
Ewww no. Maybe graphical design-wise, but that cursor manipulation shit was horrendous.

Xiraiya

Borderlands 2 felt too long for the kind of game it was, the Bunkers and Badasses DLC was by far the best part of BL2, as someone who always like to play the "Soldier" guy, Axton was okay but not especially interesting.

However, Pre-sequel had no downtime, it's opening parts of the game were the best of all the Borderlands games and it felt like a really solid and interesting experience until the very end, without overstaying it's welcome.
That and Athena is probably my favorite class of the entire series, I'm not a big female character player but she really grew on me.
So yeah TPS is the overall best Borderlands game to date in my opinion, really solid package, I enjoyed playing it the most.

Also as an Australian, they nailed the humor pretty well, I had a great time with it.

I can't believe people actually prefer NPCs in TPS. Pretty much all of the new NPCs were bland and their defining character trait seemed to be little more than "Australian". Only Nurse Nina was actually amusing and memorable.

Ewww no. Maybe graphical design-wise, but that cursor manipulation shit was horrendous.

They ranged from bland to pathetic in TPS. It's a humorless game trying to be humorous. But yes, being Aussie by itself isn't enough to make a character interesting.

TPS didn't have an option for me to play a Siren, so it can't be the best. Also, there's no meat bicycle built for two.

Seriously, BL2 is an amazingly well done game, and the (major) DLCs for it were fantastic. Tiny Tina might be one of the most memorable side characters except there's also EXPLOSIONS! (i.e., Mr. Torgue) Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep is probably one of most enjoyable DLCs I have ever done, for any game. If you haven't played it yet, you're missing out.

TPS didn't have an option for me to play a Siren, so it can't be the best. Also, there's no meat bicycle built for two.

Seriously, BL2 is an amazingly well done game, and the (major) DLCs for it were fantastic. Tiny Tina might be one of the most memorable side characters except there's also EXPLOSIONS! (i.e., Mr. Torgue) Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep is probably one of most enjoyable DLCs I have ever done, for any game. If you haven't played it yet, you're missing out.

If you like Krieg, you need to try Athena.

I didn't like how cheap it got near the end, what with jumping its enemies' levels up two or three on me and making the end fights a bitch as a result. I'd already done a ton of side quests and was leveled up pretty well. (In fact, that's one thing I'm not looking forward to via my second playthrough in the Handsome Collection which I already have.)

The game didn't really push things forward all that much, either. It also wasn't as memorable.

Huh, I didn't notice being under leveled but I made a point to do every side quest I could find.

Disagree on it not pushing things forward. I'm beginning to think many who prefer BL2 haven't played it in a long time. I think if you revisited it, you might change your mind.

gaige-borderlands-featured-550x309.jpg

Says hello.

What am I saying hello to? I played TPS and BL2 to completion with dlc characters (Aurelia and Krieg) while dabbling into the main cast on my own in single player.

Their Star Wars reference/parody, for example, was probably some of the most unfunny and terrible shit out of all the games. I honestly can't believe you cite it as a good example, it was so lame. Side-quest design was generally better in BL2 as well. TPS was about on the level as BL1 in this regard I'd say.

I didn't find it very good either, but it fit in well. Felt lazy but meshed with the setting, which is what I was addressing regarding parodies.

bl1 was incredible and i loved it. bl2 was still good, liked it a lot, but it couldn't top the first. pre-sequel is a bad game.

I've preferred 1 over 2 for a long time so it's interesting seeing others feel the same. Felt like a wildly unpopular opinion.

Care to share why you thought TPS was bad?

Oh yea, another thing Presequel doesn't do as well as others is enemy variety. Its generally been one if the strengths of the series, but this one is lacking a bit from what I've played so far.

I see this brought up often too and I'm not entirely sure why. They're about the same regarding the different kinds of enemies.

It could just be that some were in BL2 and were reused, I guess.

They ranged from bland to pathetic in TPS. It's a humorless game trying to be humorous. But yes, being Aussie by itself isn't enough to make a character interesting.

Aside from the BL1 cast, who did you enjoy? Tiny Tina and Torgue were pretty good but I'm drawing a blank on anyone else.

Done the Tiny Tina dlc yet? It's super rad.

No, not yet. I really want to, but I need to be level 30+ for that and I'm only level 26 or so.

Huh, I didn't notice being under leveled but I made a point to do every side quest I could find.

Disagree on it not pushing things forward. I'm beginning to think many who prefer BL2 haven't played it in a long time. I think if you revisited it, you might change your mind.

I did lots and lots of side quests, but not all of them. I tend to be very thorough, though, and I'm the type to overlevel.

Once I got near the end, the enemies jumped upwards two levels, or so, and it happened abruptly. Others I spoke to mentioned the same issue.

Seanspeed

Banned
I see this brought up often too and I'm not entirely sure why. They're about the same regarding the different kinds of enemies.

It could just be that some were in BL2 and were reused, I guess.
Yea, most of the enemies are just a reskin of bandits/skags with a couple little differences(like flying enemies), but it just doesn't feel there's a whole lot outside of them. That I've seen so far. It's not a huge deal. It's still a good variety by normal game standards, it just doesn't hold up to the amazing variety we got in BL2.

No, not yet. I really want to, but I need to be level 30+ for that and I'm only level 26 or so.
It's so so good. Blew me away.

Eh, I respectfully disagree with you. TPS just missed some of the scale that BL2 had and was a bit too short, you say it didn't overstay its welcome but for me BL2 didn't either
at least not till UVHM
I agree that TPS did a lot of stuff better: damage scaling/cryo/no slag/butt slams, but I feel that overall BL2 feels like a more complete and bigger game.

Also TPS only had 1 character I really enjoyed playing as, Athena, meanwhile I enjoyed playing as everybody except for Salvador in BL2.

Top Bottom