• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why were 80s cartoon's so merchandise driven?

Jubenhimer

A notorious theme of most 80s cartoons is that they were designed as a vehicle for toys and merchandise before anything else. Looking at some 80s cartoons, you obviously have ones that at least tried like Transformers G1 and GI JOE. But then you see producers starting to run out of ideas and having to resort to making shows about talking Rubik's Cubes (I'm not kidding, that's actually happened). This kind of shameless commercialization was the norm for animation and children's programing for much of the 80s. Of course, towards the end, channels like Nickelodeon would come in and reshape the idea of what kids shows can be in time for the 90s. But why was toy/merch driven content so dominant in the 80s? I understand animation can be expensive, especially for the decade, but was there more to it than that?

Toys, action figures, that stuff was huge back then. Collections were a mainstream sales approach.

“Gotta collect them all, buy the whole set!”

Now kids just play apps on their iPads

edit

When I was a kid we’d get new toys and bring them to a friends house to play with their toys and whatnot

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Also regulations were different and it was like the wild west in regards to what and how you could sell to kids.

Kagey K

Banned
This is actually the truth of it.

Basically the FCC used to limit the amount of time children could be advertised to and took out shows that they felt were advertising to children. A Hot Wheels one being one of the first examples.

In the early 80s Regan lifted some of those rules and toy companies teamed up with animation studios to create shows based on their toy lines, (essentially 30 min advertisements.)

It’s actually a pretty good read, if you are interested in the subject.

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
If I remember right most of the toy companies owned the studios that made the cartoons. What was really shameless were the adverts. People who think video game trailers are bad should've seen the straight up bullshit we had to put up with back then. I'm still buttraged about Total Control Racing.

See this here -

It's total bullshit is what it is

Last edited:

AaronB

Here's another great video that shows another aspect of it:

Hanna Barbera (Flintstones, Jetsons, Huckleberry Hound, etc.) dominated kids programming around the 60's and 70's, and it was merchandise tie-in action cartoons that were able to take that market from them. The merchandise was an essential part of the package.

DiscoJer

Star Wars. It basically created the kid-media merchandise thing.

Not saying there weren't stuff before that, but it was really Star Wars that started it being huge.

This is actually the truth of it.

Basically the FCC used to limit the amount of time children could be advertised to and took out shows that they felt were advertising to children. A Hot Wheels one being one of the first examples.

In the early 80s Regan lifted some of those rules and toy companies teamed up with animation studios to create shows based on their toy lines, (essentially 30 min advertisements.)

It’s actually a pretty good read, if you are interested in the subject.

I was going to mention this.

Part of Reagan's agenda was to supercharge American capitalism in order to help fight Communism, hence deregulation like this.

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
I just wish I'd known back then what them Star Wars toys would eventually be worth. We had a shit load of those things. At one time they couldn't give those things away cos all the kids had moved on to He-Man and the Turtles

lock2k

Banned
They still are. I watch several cartoons with my daughter and the line of toys is impressive. Even though we have digital stuff, toys are huge sellers and there is more variety nowadays than when I was a kid in the 80's The stores here in São Paulo are massive.

nkarafo

They should make a cartoon about Tablets vs Phones. Kinda like Transformers mixed with that Rubic's Cube cartoon.

I didn't know the later even exists, i'm impressed.

Kagey K

Banned
Well first of all that's a movie.
So was Star Wars. Didn’t stop it from getting mentioned here. (Yes I loved Wicket and the Ewok cartoon, but I don’t think that’s what DiscoJer DiscoJer was referencing.)

Best/Worst Movie, Animated Series, Toy is still My Pet Monster though and it covered all 3.

Just for the record though, movies were actually exempt from the advertising rules that TV shows had.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
80s cartoons were garbage made to sell toys. Only boomers think otherwise.
Why would boomers think 80’s cartoons were great? They’d remember the good old days of Superman radio plays and Fred Flinstone advertising tasty cigs during the bumpers.

The good old days when they wrote verses about Marlboro into the Beverly Hillbiliies theme song.

They thought 80s cartoons were trash, because they had kids that wanted them to buy the toys the shows were selling.

Shit some shows you needed the toys to play along with.

That shit was ahead of its time.

brap

Banned
Why would boomers think 80’s cartoons were great? They’d remember the good old days of Superman radio plays and Fred Flinstone advertising tasty cigs during the bumpers.

The good old days when they wrote verses about Marlboro into the Beverly Hillbiliies theme song.

They thought 80s cartoons were trash, because they had kids that wanted them to buy the toys the shows were selling.

Shit some shows you needed the toys to play along with.

That shit was ahead of its time.

80s cartoons were trash though. Toys first cartoons second. Eat your vegetables, say your prayers and don't forget to buy the new GI Joe action figure young jimmy! It's a slight step up from the hannah barbara garbage but still :messenger_poop:
Shitty ass animation even worse than todays cartoons.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
80s cartoons were trash though. Toys first cartoons second. Eat your vegetables, say your prayers and don't forget to buy the new GI Joe action figure young jimmy! It's a slight step up from the hannah barbara garbage but still :messenger_poop:
1530105947432.jpg

Toys, action figures, that stuff was huge back then. Collections were a mainstream sales approach.

“Gotta collect them all, buy the whole set!”

Now kids just play apps on their iPads

edit

When I was a kid we’d get new toys and bring them to a friends house to play with their toys and whatnot

Kids and manchildren these days just collect virtual, digital cards and toys for real money.

Kagey K

Banned
There was trash then, and there’s trash now. You can’t tell me Paw Patrol or Fireman Sam or half the shows on TV now aren’t merch driven as well.

Sure some shows were animated poorly, but there is a charm to it that I feel like the newer digital shows are lacking, you have to remember that all those old shows were hand drawn and it took a long time to put out even 30 mins of poorly animated tv.

Add to that the writers were handicapped by only producing content the toy line was making and its easy to find the answer. Somewhere in the mid 90’s that changed and mass production made it easier for the show and the toys, but the philosophy behind them didn’t change much.

It’s still the same shit.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
80s and 90s cartoons were awesome. 2000+ cartoons are trash.
Fuck that. Teen Titans go! Is as funny as Ren and Stimpy or Beavis and Butthead used to be.

Like both those shows it probably won’t age well, but as a product for it’s time they are great.

Ownage

DIC used to make some good 80s animation cartoons. I'd laugh out loud as some child voice used to say such a dirty word in post credits.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
There was trash then, and there’s trash now. You can’t tell me Paw Patrol or Fireman Sam or half the shows on TV now aren’t merch driven as well.

Sure some shows were animated poorly, but there is a charm to it that I feel like the newer digital shows are lacking, you have to remember that all those old shows were hand drawn and it took a long time to put out even 30 mins of poorly animated tv.

Add to that the writers were handicapped by only producing content the toy line was making and its easy to find the answer. Somewhere in the mid 90’s that changed and mass production made it easier for the show and the toys, but the philosophy behind them didn’t change much.

It’s still the same shit.

Paw Patrol is merch driven as fuck. It's designed to sell the toys, no doubt.

And my daughter likes the rejects Rocky and Tracker. lol

It's hard to find toys that aren't Marshall, Chase or Skye.

Drake

Do they even make new cartoons anymore? I remember when I was around 8-10 I would watch TMNT, Thundercats, etc. What do boys that age watch now?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
In many cases the cartoon was literally an afterthought created to sell toys. He Man was like this, the toys came first.

That said, I don’t think it was that big a shift, when you look at historical marketing to kids, from Dick Tracy decoder rings to western tv shows and all the toy guns they used to sell, they have always used entertainment to sell stuff

Still some good stuff came of all that. I love Inhumanoids and Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light, created by one of the og Dungeons and Dragons folks (he also did the GI Joe cartoon I believe)

Last edited:

Antoon

Banned
Cartoons were still in the Dark Age of animation (started in the 60's), but then in the early 80's the Western exects saw how well the Japanese were driving the toy lineups with anime and manga. So the Western toy era was born, where glorified half-hour commercials were a guaranteed success to sell whatever garbage youre offering. BTW most of the shitty shows that came from the 80's were made in Japan/SE Asia. Notice how often they used the flashy seizure inducing special effects in all of those intros. They found the most hypnotic ways to make trash like Transformers be suddenly appealing.

lock2k

Banned
Do they even make new cartoons anymore? I remember when I was around 8-10 I would watch TMNT, Thundercats, etc. What do boys that age watch now?

All the time.

We Bare Bears, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Apple & Onion, Gravity Falls, Star vs the Forces of Evil, OK K.O., to name a few.

klosos

also back in the 80's kids were bombarded with adverts,. Also Transformers and Thunder cats were always garbage cartoons , the Best cartoons of the 80's was , Visionaries , Mask , Brave Star and Centurians . Facts don't care about your feelings bro

Barnabot

From a western perspective, yes. Nowadays seem to be less and less merchandise driven cartoons. But if we think about Japan there are tokusatsu shows such as Kamen Rider and Super Sentai series , even animes, which are made primary to sell merchandise there. It's always a new gimmick/theme they try to sell to you every year. The a story is built around the new theme.

Last edited:

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Cartoons were still in the Dark Age of animation (started in the 60's), but then in the early 80's the Western exects saw how well the Japanese were driving the toy lineups with anime and manga. So the Western toy era was born, where glorified half-hour commercials were a guaranteed success to sell whatever garbage youre offering. BTW most of the shitty shows that came from the 80's were made in Japan/SE Asia. Notice how often they used the flashy seizure inducing special effects in all of those intros. They found the most hypnotic ways to make trash like Transformers be suddenly appealing.

Space trainnnnn get us out of here!!!

kunonabi

They do but they are more aimed at tumbler/ college kids than for actual kids most of the time.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
read the Wikipedia entry on one Flint Dille. he is a fascinating figure in the world of animation and pop fantasy, having worked on many of the popular animated tv shows. cool thing is he has for real ties to fantasy culture (his grandfather published the original Buck Rogers strip) and he has ties to the original Dungeons & Dragons guys as well. so for a lot of 80s pop culture, there were these heavy 70s fantasy influences, showing up in animated form. dystopian science fiction, hyper militarization, dark fantasy, etc. all these genres began to see initial commercial success through these experiments with marketing in the US. ironically, this sort of predicted how the same properties would be marketed to us as future adults.

as far as being merchandise driven, tv is a commercial medium and always has been. what really changed was American businesses ramping up the off-shoring of jobs, hiring Asian animators at cheaper rates than their more pricey, union-demanding American counterparts. though US animation suffered (even Disney was basically ripping off it's own tired rotoscopes at this point) there was a lot of cool stuff and collaborations between, say, US writers and Japanese artists. in a way, most of 80s animation was closer to Japanese anime than traditional US cartoons, and i think this novelty, this cool style, is what made it so appealing. the stylized art was entrancing to me personally, i love the style of things like The Real Ghostbusters, and despite it all being capitalist nonsense, the spectacle could be very entertaining.

about Flint Dille:

Dille was born in Chicago, Illinois, the son of Robert Crabtree Dille and Virginia Nichols Dille. He attended Glenbrook South High School. In 1977, he graduated from U.C. Berkeley with a Bachelor's degree in Ancient History and Classical Rhetoric. He received a Master of Fine Arts in Professional Writing (Cinema) from the University of Southern California. He lives in Los Angeles, California.

Flint Dille is the grandson of John F. Dille, publisher of the original Buck Rogers comic strip, and is part of the Dille Family Trust, which owns the rights to the character.

After grad school, Dille worked as a freelance script reader, production assistant, and assistant art director before getting his first writing job from Joe Ruby at Ruby-Spears as a Saturday Morning Development writer. This led to writing scripts for Mr. T., The Puppy, and RoboForce. Later, Dille went to work for Sunbow Productions and served in various capacities as Writer, Story Editor, Associate Producer, and Co-Producer on several shows, including The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Inhumanoidsand Visionaries.

Dille was a story editor for the first season of G.I. Joe (1985). He also wrote the episodes "The Gamesmaster," "Eau De Cobra," and ""Skeletons in the Closet," and co-wrote the episodes "The Pit of Vipers," "The Wrong Stuff," "Grey Hairs and Growing Pains," and "G.I. Joe and the Golden Fleece."

Dille joined the production team of The Transformers as a supervising story editor in the show's second season (1985-1986) and also co-wrote wrote the episode "Prime Target" with his G.I. Joe colleague Buzz Dixon. Dille worked on an extensive rewrite of Ron Friedman's screenplay for Transformers: The Movie (1986); although Friedman contractually received sole screenplay credit, Dille was credited onsceen as the film's story consultant. After the movie, Dille served as a story editor for the third season of The Transformers (1986-1987) and wrote the season's five-part opening story, "Five Faces of Darkness."

Dille returned to G.I. Joe after the series was taken over by DIC Entertainment, co-writing the episode "Injustice and the Cobra Way" for the show's first DIC season (1990-1991).

Dille worked briefly at CBS on the in-house production of Garbage Pail Kids, before working with Amblin Entertainment on several projects, including An American Tail: Fievel Goes West, Tiny Toons (as a movie), and We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story.

Last edited:

demigod

Fuck that. Teen Titans go! Is as funny as Ren and Stimpy or Beavis and Butthead used to be.

Like both those shows it probably won’t age well, but as a product for it’s time they are great.

I'm not a fan of teen titans, dexter's lab, powderpuff girls.

Let me name the cartoons I watched during the 80s and 90s.

Thundercats
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Dinosaucers
Transformers
Denver the Last Dinosaur
Captain Planet
The Simpsons
He-Man
Ducktales
Inspector Gadget
Chip 'n Dale
The Smurfs
Garfield
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Heathcliff
Bucky O'hare
Bravestar
Silverhawks (I had the lunchbox)
Saber Riders
Voltron
And for some girly stuff that I did watch, lol.
Carebears
Jem
Barbie

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Everything that can be merchandised usually is. EVERYTHING.

Toys usually keep the show running. If toys don't sell, the show is canceled. At least that is what I heard when Cartoon Network canceled Teen Titans.

Top Bottom