• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why won't WB drop Zack Snyder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleepey

Calm down.

Snyder's line is pretty clear: in his style of moviemaking, his vision of a "dark" superhero movie, a guy like Batman could get raped in prison. But, the idea of Batman getting raped in prison is significantly different from how Grant Morrison wrote Talia raping Batman. You're consistently trying to equate the two as if the're the same ("well Morrison wrote Batman getting raped, so what's the big deal if Snyder says Batman could get raped in his movies?") when they are completely different situations and, more importantly, with completely different reasonings behind those situations. Morrison's depiction of rape was a plot point to set up a larger story; Snyder's, more off-the-cuff, suggestion of rape is just to meant to be "look at how DARK and EDGY my shit can get."

Just because Batman was raped in the comics, and under completely different circumstances, does not make Snyder's idea of "Batman could get raped in prison in my kind of movies" any less juvenile or wrong-headed.

It's also something he didn't say.

Bleepey

The sad thing is the trolling and whining about MoS casualties ended up messing up the MCU as well, now we have bullshit where heroes have to fly out to 'empty areas' to fight. Like I'm sure a smarter villain is going to care about that.

Powerful Aliens attacking a city with the express intent of levelling it and a superhero who's not fully in charge of his powers is going to be a mess, it should be absolutely terrifying like it was in MoS. People are going to die and it should be acknowledged.

But it's a Superman movie, it should be light hearted and shit! He should be smiling and cracking wise all the damn time and never kills, except when he crushes hands, throws people against the wall and cracks a rib forcing them to drown before he gets a superdicking. As much shit as Snyder's Superman gets at least he ain't like animated series Superban who punched villains threw children's hospitals and set bridges alight with people on them.

Blader

The sad thing is the trolling and whining about MoS casualties ended up messing up the MCU as well, now we have bullshit where heroes have to fly out to 'empty areas' to fight. Like I'm sure a smarter villain is going to care about that.

Powerful Aliens attacking a city with the express intent of levelling it and a superhero who's not fully in charge of his powers is going to be a mess, it should be absolutely terrifying like it was in MoS. People are going to die and it should be acknowledged.

It was already a part of the MCU. A large part of the Avengers' climax involves saving civilians, minimizing casualties, evacuating people, etc. Marvel hasn't moved away from involving this as part of their third acts, and the only one that did "let's fly out to the empty area" to fight was, well, Snyder. :p

The Icon said:
Let me cut you off right here. No one inquired about context.

Alright then.

It's also something he didn't say.

What? He says exactly that:

But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie.

The tone of Snyder's superhero movies -- in this case Watchmen, but really his style as a filmmaker overall -- is what he consider to be real darkness, where the idea of Batman getting raped in prison is something that could happen, whereas it wouldn't happen in, say, Nolan's movies, which are, in Snyder's eyes, a lighter shade of dark than his own movies. Right?

This is a pretty asinine argument anyway, because it all kind of misses the point that Snyder thinks the idea of someone like Batman getting raped in prison makes a movie dark and edgy, which is a really juvenile and tryhard mindset.

The tone of Snyder's superhero movies -- in this case Watchmen, but really his style as a filmmaker overall -- is what he consider to be real darkness, where the idea of Batman getting raped in prison is something that could happen, whereas it wouldn't happen in, say, Nolan's movies, which are, in Snyder's eyes, a lighter shade of dark than his own movies. Right?

This is a pretty asinine argument anyway, because it all kind of misses the point that Snyder thinks the idea of someone like Batman getting raped in prison makes a movie dark and edgy, which is a really juvenile and tryhard mindset.

I agree. Also, Snyder took dark to a new level with Batman.

I mean damn...
giphy.gif

After just stabbing him...Instead of seeing intimidation, I see a killer in those eyes and that's exactly who he is.
giphy.gif

This is why I like Batman as a character.
killer06.jpg

Bleepey

It was already a part of the MCU. A large part of the Avengers' climax involves saving civilians, minimizing casualties, evacuating people, etc. Marvel hasn't moved away from involving this as part of their third acts, and the only one that did "let's fly out to the empty area" to fight was, well, Snyder. :p

He was not given the opportunity to save as many people like the Avengers because it was just 1 guy against another dude who would exploit his willingness to save people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8EydFeuPK8

Alright then.

What? He says exactly that:

He wasn't cast as Batman director then. He was talking about Watchmen during the Watchmen press tour.. Jesus Christ can someone not me explain it to him?

You stubbornly ignoring the context or inability to read or understand is telling. Pick one or both options.
The only person stubbornly ignoring context and lacking reading conprehension here is you, because you want to protect Snyder despite his stupid comment. Trying to make this equivalent is stupid, period. I dont know why you want to protect him so much, maybe as a take that at fans against his movies, but it's not going to work.

Axiology

As ridiculous as this argument about the Zack Snyder quote is, I'd like to point out that when he says "That could happen in my movie," he's definitely not talking about Watchmen. It's crystal clear that he's talking about what he might do if he were to direct a hypothetical Batman movie.

It's irrelevant whether or not he was on the Batman property at the time. It's like us here when we talk about what we would do if we were in charge of a franchise. It makes no sense for him to be talking about Watchmen unless you twist the logic of his words (like Snyder twists logic when he says Batman kills "by proxy" in BVS.)

Timu

As for this topic, beats me, this guy hasn't made a great movie in years. Maybe because he's important to them for some reason. I mean he directed a scene in Suicide Squad, is doing the story for Wonder Woman and is directing the biggest movie of the year this year.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
JL1 will probably be the last straw, if it turns out decent they'll keep him for JL2. If it's awful he is most likely not getting involved with any of these movies ever again.

They brought in Johns to steer the ship in the right direction, he looks heavily involved with WW and JL1, as in actually calling the shots, so we'll see.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I agree. Also, Snyder took dark to a new level with Batman.

I mean damn...
giphy.gif

After just stabbing him...Instead of seeing intimidation, I see a killer in those eyes and that's exactly who he is.
giphy.gif

This is why I like Batman as a character.
killer06.jpg

by far the best scene in the movie. I liked how they actually hurt him, too, but he brushes it off like nothing.

As ridiculous as this argument about the Zack Snyder quote is, I'd like to point out that when he says "That could happen in my movie," he's definitely not talking about Watchmen. It's crystal clear that he's talking about what he might do if he were to direct a hypothetical Batman movie.

It's irrelevant whether or not he was on the Batman property at the time. It's like us here when we talk about what we would do if we were in charge of a franchise. It makes no sense for him to be talking about Watchmen unless you twist the logic of his words (like Snyder twists logic when he says Batman kills "by proxy" in BVS.)

He's talking about Watchmen. It's a response to the interviewer drawing a comparison with TDK and Watchmen. He immediately follows talking about Watchmen. The entire interview is framed around Watchmen. He says some confusing thing in part due to dyslexia, and some silly thing like the Batman manslaughter quote, but that quote ain't one of them. I get that people read it the first time earlier this year on blogs and such framed a certain way.

And seriously, the guy made Sucker Punch. You don't need to resort to misinformation and lies to put a lens to his past work having questionable attitudes towards sexual abuse.

Axiology

He's talking about Watchmen. It's a response to the interviewer drawing a comparison with TDK and Watchmen. He immediately follows talking about Watchmen. The entire interview is framed around Watchmen. He says some confusing thing in part due to dyslexia, and some silly thing like the Batman manslaughter quote, but that quote ain't one of them. I get that people read it the first time earlier this year on blogs and such framed a certain way.

And seriously, the guy made Sucker Punch. You don't need to resort to misinformation and lies to put a lens to his past work having questionable attitudes towards sexual abuse.

Well, one new point of difference is make them more grim and gritty, like Hancock or The Dark Knight, which seems to also work in Watchmen‘s favor —

Everyone says that about [Christopher Nolan's] Batman Begins. "Batman's dark." I'm like, okay, "No, Batman's cool." He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that's how that would go. I believe that pop culture is just, like, so ready for Watchmen. We tried so hard to ride that wave between satire and reality, and all the things that make you still care about the character, but you don't miss the commentary about them. Nite-Owl is Batman. The guy has a fricking cave under his house! No doubt a fanboy will look at the movie and not get it. "He looks just like Batman!" Precisely. When people saw our version of the Ozymandias costume on the Internet, some were like, "It's like a Joel Schumacher Batman movie! The costume has nipples! That's crazy!" And I'm like, "Yeah, but that's the point!" With their comic, Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons were saying, "Superheroes are kinda funky, aren't they?" We build upon that with a movie that acknowledges that superhero movies have affected pop culture.

Ok, so it seems like it's somewhere in the middle. He's not saying he would make a movie where Batman specifically was raped. Instead it seems that he's talking about a hypothetical superhero movie that he could make in which a character would be raped in prison. He is still complaining about the perception of Batman Begins as a dark story when it doesn't have something as dark as rape in its narrative, though, which is pretty screwed up.

He's definitely not talking about Watchmen, though. He starts talking about it right after, but that's a separate point.

JL1 will probably be the last straw, if it turns out decent they'll keep him for JL2. If it's awful he is most likely not getting involved with any of these movies ever again.

They brought in Johns to steer the ship in the right direction, he looks heavily involved with WW and JL1, as in actually calling the shots, so we'll see.

I mean, these things are pretty much written in stone by this point, correct? He and his wife being producers for these flicks and all? He'd pretty much have to voluntarily walk away in order for him not to be directing. Am I looking at this the wrong way? No expert..

I mean, these things are pretty much written in stone by this point, correct? He and his wife being producers for these flicks and all? He'd pretty much have to voluntarily walk away in order for him not to be directing. Am I looking at this the wrong way? No expert..

Unless WB are complete idiots (maybe?) I'm assuming Snyder can be released from his contract if the films don't gross a certain amount.

Unless WB are complete idiots (maybe?) I'm assuming Snyder can be released from his contract if the films don't gross a certain amount.

But isn't that (allegedly) happening already? Again, just asking questions. I understand no one here has any definitive answers to most of the questions brought up here, but many do study these companies and their ins and outs. Notice it stated many times that the movie should have made more money and that the studio (WB) has reacted as a result. Is there anywhere to verify such a claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom