• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wierd things that bother you in games..

Freeman76

Was just thinking while playing God of War, one thing that has always bugged me in some games is the footstep sound effects.

God of War, Destiny 2 are two examples that spring to mind where you are this hulking great character that has dainty footstep noises like you're fucking Bambi. It really grates on me when devs don't get this small thing right.

I realise thats a petty thing to be annoyed about, and wondered what wierd little grievances other Gaffers may have?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
When the driving camera wants to snap back to its default position. No, I'm controlling this camera, fuck off, let me look where I want to look. I don't like having camera controls ever taken away from me during gameplay. Alan Wake got it right, if there's something interesting for me to see, give me a button prompt to snap my camera towards it, that way I'm still the one in control.

The way your 3rd person character or NPCs look when they are walking up/down stairs. Sometimes it looks bad with the feet phasing through the stairs or other times it looks very awkward with characters taking absurdly large monster steps.

Also, when there is no transitional animation between walking and running and the sticks are super sensitive. You may be trying to walk around a cool new location your discovered and then suddenly your character is sprinting for no reason.

Soodanim

Was just thinking while playing God of War, one thing that has always bugged me in some games is the footstep sound effects.

God of War, Destiny 2 are two examples that spring to mind where you are this hulking great character that has dainty footstep noises like you're fucking Bambi. It really grates on me when devs don't get this small thing right.

I realise thats a petty thing to be annoyed about, and wondered what wierd little grievances other Gaffers may have?
In all honesty, that's probably on purpose to preserve player sanity as that might get grating over time. Heavier sounding footsteps might also be tempting to pair with slower, heavier movement and that's a path no one wants to go down.

Little things that bother me in games tend to be UI or control based, where there's a little moment where your inputs do nothing that might as well be eternity for me. The original Modern Warfare 2 had absolutely no restrictions and it was bliss, you could muscle memory your way into whatever you wanted before each screen even displayed. All games should aspire to be like that.

Freeman76

In all honesty, that's probably on purpose to preserve player sanity as that might get grating over time. Heavier sounding footsteps might also be tempting to pair with slower, heavier movement and that's a path no one wants to go down.

Little things that bother me in games tend to be UI or control based, where there's a little moment where your inputs do nothing that might as well be eternity for me. The original Modern Warfare 2 had absolutely no restrictions and it was bliss, you could muscle memory your way into whatever you wanted before each screen even displayed. All games should aspire to be like that.

I dunno, when they get it right it makes a difference to me. Guild Wars 2, Horizon FW, are 2 recent of examples I've played that nailed the sound effects without them being overpowering. I know its wierd but its always something I notice.

I disliked that they added sprint to Skyrim when the games before didn’t have it. If there’s a button to press with a visible timer, that’s all I’m going to be doing while exploring and it just killed the open world for me.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
One of the most grating things to me is a floating health bar in a shooter. It just primes me to expect bullet sponge enemies. If they aren't bullet sponges, the fuck is the point of this health bar? I also just find it aesthetically unpleasing.
Even when I have the option to disable them, the game was still designed around their presence, and in a tight spot I actually need to keep track of which bullet sponge is closest to death. I hate you, Far Cry New Dawn.

I kind of felt suffocated in ZombiU, because the player can't freely jump or crouch. Of course the game is designed so neither is necessary, but I found it uncomfortable to play without either function. Lots of third-person games feel fine without either mechanic, but in first-person it sure felt wrong to me. I started Dying Light right after. That was liberating.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
When on the last menu option you can't press down to revert to the one on top. If that makes sense.

A snappy and intuitive menu/map does a lot for me.

Fuck forced walking as an excuse for exposising. Fuck unskippable intro's and cutscene.

Fuck bad hitboxes
Fuck poor to non existent hit detection

And fuck my poor e English

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The Japanese girl that scream a lot.

The '' rock-pop'' japanese loud or high volumen.

Like these generic Japanese songs, they sound almost identical in any ending or opening theme, but are annoying at high volume.

Press a boton or combo in a tutorials to go the other level... You dont it... You won't pass.

Shoot in the head with a shotgun a enemy and only have 5% of damage.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Not letting me save the game anytime or having places dedicated to saving.
No i want to leave now, i dont have time to play another 10 or however many minutes itll take to reach the save room. Get fucked Resident Evil and Like a Dragon.

Bartski

Gold Member
Bad inverse kinematics, especially while walking or riding a horse.

1n1B4hp.jpg

coffinbirth

One of the most grating things to me is a floating health bar in a shooter. It just primes me to expect bullet sponge enemies. If they aren't bullet sponges, the fuck is the point of this health bar? I also just find it aesthetically unpleasing.
Even when I have the option to disable them, the game was still designed around their presence, and in a tight spot I actually need to keep track of which bullet sponge is closest to death. I hate you, Far Cry New Dawn.

I kind of felt suffocated in ZombiU, because the player can't freely jump or crouch. Of course the game is designed so neither is necessary, but I found it uncomfortable to play without either function. Lots of third-person games feel fine without either mechanic, but in first-person it sure felt wrong to me. I started Dying Light right after. That was liberating.
I'd like to think that was a purposeful design decision, because that game really managed to make me feel tense and claustrophobic like none other, specifically on Wii U, when you had to look away from danger whilst digging around in your backpack. Good shit.

No i want to leave now, i dont have time to play another 10 or however many minutes itll take to reach the save room. Get fucked Resident Evil and Like a Dragon.
I like the tension added from not being able to save at any point, but I must admit, I don't have a lot of responsibilities that require me to have to put a game down ASAP. Could easily see how this would infuriate busy people (e.g. parents)

Fuz

Banned
Agree with this but no, in Resident Evil makes sense and it's used to build tension. It gets a pass.

ZoukGalaxy

Wobbling/head bobbing.

Oh my toad, I hate it, it's so stupid like if in real life our head were wobbling left and right like that or like we walking waving like in a very old car taking speed bump perpetually.

Ridiculous, weird and it bothers me so much.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I'd like to think that was a purposeful design decision, because that game really managed to make me feel tense and claustrophobic like none other, specifically on Wii U, when you had to look away from danger whilst digging around in your backpack. Good shit.
To me it didn't make the game feel scarier (and the zombies in that game really did nothing for me), it sorta made it feel cheaper. Sort of like a mobile game with limited inputs. Dying Light felt intense, being able to scramble up buildings, and finding that some zombies could scramble after me. Of course I'm not blaming ZombiU for not being Dying Light, but the limited controls really didn't work for me.

I've remembered another thing I dislike.
When a game series has a beautiful compass bar, and then switches to a dumdum stupid minimap for the next entry. Borderlands 1 had a compass bar, its sequels and remaster use minimaps. Far Cry 5 had a compass bar! Far Cry 6 has a minimap :lollipop_angry_face:
I hope Assassin's Creed never regresses back to the minimap (I last played Origins, oh god please don't tell me they've already switched back to minimaps).
It's also disappointing to me when a fantasy RPG like The Witcher 3 uses a minimap instead of a compass bar, it's like a blemish on the face of near-perfection. I think I only prefer minimaps for modern urban settings, like in crime sandboxes.

Last edited:
Letting me wait because the game wants to check something online, I don’t care about at the moment (like loading the Highscore list when I just want to replay the level or checking for new dlc when I just want to play the game).

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Your character not being able to traverse an ankle-high obstacle.
The equivilant of this in Uncharted 4 drove me nuts. Guy is fucking parkouring all over the place, but this shoulder high wall has VINES on it and is completely impassable.
Oh and I hate the animations they have when you try and do this, the half hearted ' I tried' jump.

Last edited:

Pelta88

The plastic low visual fidelity look that works for Fortnite but looks like zero effort was made in every other ip that copies that visual aesthetic.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Not being able to open drawers or doors that otherwise look interactive.

Also, clipping through objects that have no collision.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
As a motorcyclist it bugs me when characters shoot (or other actions) with their throttle hand instead of their clutch hand.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bad driving game camera angles
Maybe I'm just a shit driver, but I always find hood view or first person view way easier to control the car than third person views. Nudge the analog stick left or right in hood/first person mode and the car turns smooth. Nudge the analog sticks in third person view and the car jerks way harder even though I thumbed the analog stick the same amount.

But at least they can be changed on the fly
You can change camera angles in racing games on the fly. But for lots of other games you have to go to options, choose one, go back to the game to test it. If it sucks, repeat and repeat.

The same cliche element effects or magic spells
"Hey gamers, our studio is making a super innovative game..... your magic spells are based on: fire, earth, water and air.

"Up to 30 fps replays"
Actual gameplay is 60 fps, has AI, probably MP online gaming at the same time, some physics and animations etc.... The game goes to a canned cutscene or instant replay at it probably tanks to 25 fps.

Last edited:
Changing controls being forced on us. Apex Legends recently altered the buttons for swapping weapon attachments or inventory items and it's driving us all mental. Fuck me. You cannot even alter it via button mapping either, as it's only when in menus. Similar happens in MCC from time to time, the game defaults your controls back and you lose all your tweaked, tried and tested settings. I have resorted to taking photos of my settings so I can restore to what I had.

Iced Arcade

- Fighting soulless generic robots like Gears 4 with the DBs and Halo 4/5 with the prometheans 😴

- When a game won't let you create a waypoint.

- non skipable cutscenes.

- when a series changes control layout for no reason other than its a new game.

and agree on the weighted steps.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

Quest dialog during gameplay. I cant play the game and pay attention to the dialog at the same time :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Like in GTA, you there driving at 160km/h, and the guy is explaining the quest to you.
This.
I think it was Halo 2 or 3 where Cortana filled you in on lore and whatnot whilst you were fighting off hordes of elites.
Tell me later, I'm fucking BUSY!!
Why on earth would you start telling me this NOW?!, while I'm in a firefight?!
I only have partial hearing, so this is especially annoying for me.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Low frame rate NPC at a distance is the latest trend that annoys me
Are you referring to the ones that at a distance fit into pixelated 2D figures and when you get closer they become 3D?

For example the skelletons?

1:09

Last edited:
Top Bottom