• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 is Wii U

C-Jo

I don't understand at all. Is there new hardware? Is the controller the hardware? Where I put game?

They did a REALLY bad job of informing the public just how strong the console is, what the actual console looks like, and what they're doing for online.

IDK, not enough information.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
140.85 said:
Really I don't understand this. What were you expecting?
Seriously? THe HW is what I thought it would be BESIDES THE CONTROLLER.

I will buy all the 3rd party games on PC/36/0/PS3.

Nintendo dropped the ball.

Blackface said:
1. So far only ports announced
2. No new online system, or functionality like PS3 and 360 have.
3. Huge controller nobody is going to want to hold for four hours.
4. Most people are still confused on wtf it is

GOOD JOB NINTENDO.

I partially show up here just to continue reading comments like this. If the level of doom that is already being generated towards this system is any indication. This will be to most successful console ever.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Resume of the third-party interview reel: "Can't wait to port our games to that thing!"

Daft_Cat

WiiU seems pee-you. That's got to be the worst attempt at explaining your product in the history of E3. A reflection of Nintendo's conference though, not the product itself.

DaBuddaDa

Like every single Nintendo console in the history of Nintendo consoles, I will purchase one as soon as there is a Mario and a Zelda game announced for it. I really don't care about anything else it provides.

Tron 2.0

Hey, remember when Nintendo named the successor to the Nintendo DS the Nintendo 3DS and it was confusing to consumers because they didn't do enough to differentiate the two?

1. No specs
2. Only info on controller
3. Footage of multiplatform titles from ps3/360
4. Just a mention of smash bro in development
5.Terrible looking Wii/Mii visuals on the reveal trailer
6. Nice looking small tech demo?

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE CONSOLE IS CAPABLE OF.

What a weird reveal.

Nose Master

That controller is fucking N-Gage bad. Ugh.

"Hardcore gamers, we've got you covered this year. /makes no game announcements."

Net_Wrecker said:
They did a REALLY bad job of informing the public just how strong the console is, what the actual console looks like, and what they're doing for online.

IDK, not enough information.
Yeah, it's baffling that they didn't show the actual console. It just confused everyone into thinking it was a Wii peripheral.

Jangocube

Banned
So, ya, I don't know much about the system, haven't seen any real games, but damn man, what the fuck.

I feel like I don't anything about this system, which is the opposite of what a conference is supposed to do.

soldat7

2v2w3dj.jpg

Looks kinda small now.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Blackface said:

GOOD JOB NINTENDO.

nobody wants to hold any controller for four hours in a row jesus

Replicant

Blackface said:

They should have hold off on announcing it. Now people are confused. It doesn't help the name is the same as Wii. At least give it a different name if they want to launch a new console. Wii U is not enough differentiation.

I still need to absorb all this, but the first things that comes to mind:

• Good seeing some decent third-party support, at least initially.
  • Damn, that thing is huge and looks uncomfortable to hold.
  • A 6.2" touchscreen and sensors everywhere... how much is this thing going to cost?
  • Tech seems to be about 360/PS3 level (which might explain all the third-party games being ports or games currently being worked on on other systems).
  • What type of storage is it going to use? Will it have HDMI? Need more specs in general.
  • No talk of online.

So yeah, right now my feelings are mixed, partly because Nintendo didn't really give much information at all.

seady

They seem to really want to stick with the Wii in some form (instead of fully abandoning the Wii and move 100% to the new console). Just look at the games they showed still use the Wii remotes and only one Wii U controller.

Smart I think, as it make people feel like they are upgrading, and not feel like jumping to a new system altogether. Kinda like getting a Kinect with the 360, except Nintendo is doing the other way around.

AbsoluteZero said:
To the haters: IT'S NOT FOR YOU.

Who is this for? That's the problem, I think.

Hardcore gamers that liked the Wii remote set up?

Casual gamers that didn't care about HD nor having access to a traditional dual analog set up?

Hardcore gamers that already invested $300 in systems this powerful and already were getting Darksiders or Battlefield?

Or just the Lego GTA crossover audience?

Vestal

Gold Member
Epic disapointment..

2k6 HD graphics..

0 Mention of how they will work out their network infrastructure for online gaming

The controller looks fucking huge and expensive.. Not exactly something I would like my kid using.

No real spec information on the "console" released something that should be already divulged

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Let's see... ridiculous name, gimmick for the casuals, has attracted third parties...

Looks like Nintendo's on top for another generation

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Lynn616 said:
I think we are not going to see a Xbox 720 or PS4 for a long time now.
2013 or 14. And the HW will make everything now obsolete.

Again, I know this was to be expected. THe HW is a PS3 or 360 in power. We're seeing more multiplats and SEEN NO REAL NINTENDO GAMES ON THIS THING. Nothing to write home about.

XAL said:
Except all of the tech demos (meaning highest potential of specs) and Zelda demo looked horrible. No anti-aliasing whatsoever, graphics definitely not nearly on par with stuff that came out in the first year and second years of 360 and PS3.

The power is near, but not nearly on par with the current gen MS and Sony consoles - good horsepower, not equal or better like people were anticipating.

You can't disagree with that statement.
Did they actually release specs? Where is there a list of games announced?

To be honest, I'm kinda interested in how developers can use the Wii U controller. I really liked the Dreamcast VMU and was disappointed at how very little games [well, at least the ones I played] took advantage of it.

Top Bottom