• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 is Wii U

JCreasy

Another Lego game? This is the new graphics push?

Really? Is this really the Cafe project?

Please confirm.

LQX

I think the fact it looks so much like the Wii atheistic wise and shares the name may be a bad thing as I can see some parents saying but you already have a Wii.

The name is bad but names have been so bad lately that you learn to just accept it and not give a fuck.

I'm more annoyed at the controller. Not that I didn't expect it...but talk about gimmicky. Nintendo is really losing me.

201106073524.jpg

JGS

Banned
Name makes total sense to me. It remains universally pronounceable and is a successor to Wii so...

Hopefully they'll taylor the controller a bit and not wait until late 2012.

Jay Sosa

Rofl first Vita now U...what shitty names. Not that I care at all what the console is named but still..

Nooooo why didn't the switch the d pad with the stick or with the buttons :C

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
slopeslider said:
woo, another console :-\
New consoles are exciting and I love sequels as much as the next guy, but Smash Brothers? Hopefully it's actually something new this time as each game has been largely the same thus far.

That said, I suppose I can understand the excitement. I was being a bit harsh.

Fucking hell so many people are missing the point of this thing. Imagine the interactivity of the DS' two screens and touch screen on top of HD graphics and a massive TV.

KingJ2002

Didnt like the Wii name... but it grew on me.

Didn't like the Xbox 360 name.... but it grew on me

Don't like the Wii U name... but im sure it will grow on me.

marketers have reason to name it Wii U... so yeah... it will most likely grow on all of us too.

right now... my thing is the right control stick... why is it at the top of the controller and not underneath the buttons?

and how much is that controller going to cost???

Joei

it's still going to fly off the shelves, have fantastic 1st party games and make Nintendo truck loads of cash... I think that's what they're really concerned about

XAL

A sub-HD underpowered console with a new gimmick based entirely around...a really horribly uncomfortable and expensive oversized controller.

NO THANKS.

Joei said:
it's still going to fly off the shelves, have fantastic 1st party games and make Nintendo truck loads of cash... I think that's what they're really concerned about
Is it? The controller is'nt very appealing and it is just showing games you can already get on other consoles. I don't see how this is going to change anything.

Ok I take back what I said. Thought it was just another controller and not a new console. I just hope that its not another "dudebro" console.

shaowebb

some quick notes I jotted down during the controller talks. Forgive sloppiness they're still talking.

dual analog controller/dpad +4 face button/switch from tv to playing ON THE CONTROLLER so you can watch tv and play without turning off system/

its a damned cintiq stylus/

has mobile games on itself/

tilt vapabilities and motion sensing/

has a free from tv wii fit that works with board/

acts as a site for a gun/

video calls from controller/

touch screen internet browsing/

share files from your controller to tv directly/

acts as item HUD for games/

has a stand/

6.2 in screen

/backwards combatabilty with other peripherals/

4 bumpers/

rumble feature/

microphone/

speakers/

accelerometers and gyroscope/

camera/

no latency wireless transmission/

allows for you to surf online save images and send them to tv for everyone to see/

dark10x said:
New consoles are exciting and I love sequels as much as the next guy, but Smash Brothers? Hopefully it's actually something new this time as each game has been largely the same thus far.

That said, I suppose I can understand the excitement. I was being a bit harsh.
Think about the possible crossplay between the two

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Zoe said:
Probably needs to the processing power to stream stuff in parallel to the controller.
Hmm, potentially the same issue as 3DS then. 3DS is held back quite a bit by its need to render in 3D.

slopeslider said:
Think about the possible crossplay between the two
Smash Brothers is a fighter and those games are simply better one a single screen. I think the ability to use the Wii U screen for multiplayer is VERY interesting, however, but I don't think it's a big deal for a fighter.

mAcOdIn

Trin3785 said:
i am also confused if i need a new system or can use my current wii. lol
Gotta be a new console, The amount of work to get the Wii to act like that would be insane, plus at the start they said it's backwards compatible which would be a given if it were just a new controller. Whether it's just a rebadged Wii with some updated internals or something really better I don't know but I'm confident it'll be a new box you have to buy.

XAL said:
A sub-HD underpowered console with a new gimmick based entirely around...a really horribly uncomfortable and expensive oversized controller.

NO THANKS.

It looks to be on par with X360/PS3 judging by the games shown. Though I understand some of you are disappointed that it not a next-generational leap or anything.

Joei

Rahxephon91 said:
Is it? The controller is'nt very appealing and it is just showing games you can already get on other consoles. I don't see how this is going to change anything.

Yeah, I will agree, the controller doesn't look nice at all. It looks kind of big and not as intuitive as the regular Wiimote, but I'm sure it will sell well.

What's up with all the idiotic misinfo "no HD" ect. There are several sights doing live feeds such as engadget. Why don't you tune in, and stop bogging down this board with BS.

Top Bottom