• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirata

Pocks said:
I hope they're as good as the Wiimote speaker.

I can't wait to hear orchestrated music by Koji Kondo piping through those speakers. It'll be like throwing the Mona Lisa onto a pile of shit.

Neiteio

Smision said:
is this a joke about the "last wii feature" that wasn't announced at the conference?

i seem to remember them being like "THERE'S ONE LAST FEATURE WE HAVEN'T ANNOUNCED YET!!!" Then the next day it was like "oh yeah, there's a speaker on the wii controller or something."
No joke, actually. I really am curious how sound will be represented on the controller, if the idea of the screen on the controller is in fact gaming away from the TV/with the TV off, as the French article suggests.

That being said, while my curiosity is sincere, I probably could have picked a less cartoony way to ask it.

*glances around*

SPEAKERS.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
DECK'ARD said:
Well the proof will be in the pudding, and we will have to wait and see.

But this would be a very surprising area for Nintendo to dive into and pull off perfectly, as there still isn't even a standard for wireless streaming and they are so incredibly fussy about controls. All the ones we know about how their downsides as well.

Oh well, roll on the Investors Conference but I do hope there is a bigger idea than basically giving every player their own tiny screen.

You said the same thing last time, and the slightly misplaced concern still remains.

Either you believe Nintendo is "so incredibly fussy" about controls and they figured out a way to realize their needs with this new controller, or you they're not that fussy, or you believe they don't know what they're doing, or you believe they're making a massive misstep.

I'm guessing they have a perfectly fine SNES/PS2/GC/WiiClassic controller with a tablet slapped in the middle, and the controls will be fucking fine, like always. Of course, I tend to believe the simplest explanation is usually the best.

The rumors surrounding the controller are promising to me. I'd love the idea of streaming content and it'll give me a chance to get away from the TV for a while. They'll also pack a new and improved Wiimote since they'll need something to use as a standard controller and motion gaming is here to stay. This is especially important since it strengthens the position of the Wiimote as the possible base control scheme for the FPS titles of the next generations(If we get enough exclusives and they sell while the Stream has the field all to itself for a year or two).

Seamless switching between controller and TV for Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Super smash brothers sounds absolutely awesome. If the rumors of a system more powerful than the PS3 are true I hope the ram and CPU are up to par with the GPU inside of this machine.

They also have one chance to get the online aspect correct. They better not fuck that up because it's the defining feature...

What does cafe mean?

A cafe is place where social people hang out together with their laptops and drink overpriced coffee, while being quiet, but waiting expectantly for someone to compliment their macbook. Maybe the controller is detachable and everyone can stream from it remotely, playing off their own console, while the controller drips Starbucks Via into their cups.

How do you guys think this thing will handle Backwards compatibility? Will nintendo just throw the ol broadway and hollywood cpu and gpu in there and have those handle the streaming and processing for the controllers when playing Wii 2 games?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AstroLad said:
Yup. Another cool thing would be implementing those virtual d-pads that are all the rage on iOS.
And a dedicated "microphone blowing" button.

snesfreak

Banned
Nintendo is doomed!
bender-doomed.jpg

New system, same bullshit.
I'll be there day one (or whatever day UPS delivers it.)
It's Nintendo, it WILL be awesome.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Neiteio said:
No joke, actually. I really am curious how sound will be represented on the controller, if the idea of the screen on the controller is in fact gaming away from the TV/with the TV off, as the French article suggests.

That being said, while my curiosity is sincere, I probably could have picked a less cartoony way to ask it.

*glances around*

SPEAKERS.

There's a multitude of problems/downsides to the screen/streaming things.

But we have to assume if this is true that Nintendo being Nintendo have overcome them. It's going to be a very interesting 48 hours assuming we get concrete info from the Investor's Meeting.

carlo6529

Neiteio said:

*glances around*

SPEAKERS.

It will have to have its own speakers with a jack to plug in a headset. How you supposed to play a game away from the tv without sound? Probably same speakers found in 3DS.

Instro

artwalknoon said:
has anybody seen these yet?
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9259/wii2q.jpg
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/1408/wii2b.jpg
Probably fake, and it looks like a hard drive. And its based off the design from those "leaked" presentation slides. But at least the lighting on the console looks nice.

I haven't seen those specifically, but the leaked presentation slides that those are based off were fake so its unlikely that those shots are even close to what the console actually looks like.

Pimpbaa

lwilliams3 said:
Just like when Nintendo doubled the rendering power of the 3DS to enable 3D, Nintendo most likely significantly boosted the GPU and RAM of the system so it can render numerous screens and still meet its performance target on the TV screen.

Most likely it will only be rendering 1 screen at a time where the action is happening. If you are using the TV, multiple people can play as just the interface, virtual buttons, map, etc... are being rendered on the controller screens (like the DS and 3DS). Away from the tv, it would be just streaming video to a single player. That's my guess anyway.

I wouldn't knock the streaming idea just yet.

I mean, they did make a glasses-less 3D portable. they also have shit fuck tons of money to throw into research.

that said...it sounds like the name for the console should be Nintendo Wat

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. Why wouldn't if have a headphone jack, guys?

artwalknoon said:
has anybody seen these yet?
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9259/wii2q.jpg
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/1408/wii2b.jpg
Probably fake, and it looks like a hard drive. And its based off the design from those "leaked" presentation slides. But at least the lighting on the console looks nice.

2. So someone saw that mockup IGN posted and rendered it? Nice job making it look real. I love the could-be-a-speakerbox texture they used. Reflection is a nice touch.

watershed

Banned
Nirolak said:
That looks kind of small given the rumored hardware.

There's a lot of heat to dissipate.

Yeah I'm sure its fake but its a nice mock up based on those other fake images. Also the OP says the ability to stream different media with the console acting as a terminal. Does that mean one person could be playing a game on their screen while another could be watching a movie on their own? Is this a feature that has been rumored?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
PantherLotus said:
You said the same thing last time, and the slightly misplaced concern still remains.

Either you believe Nintendo is "so incredibly fussy" about controls and they figured out a way to realize their needs with this new controller, or you they're not that fussy, or you believe they don't know what they're doing, or you believe they're making a massive misstep.

I'm guessing they have a perfectly fine SNES/PS2/GC/WiiClassic controller with a tablet slapped in the middle, and the controls will be fucking fine, like always. Of course, I tend to believe the simplest explanation is usually the best.

Yes Nintendo is Nintendo, but this would be a *very* un-Nintendo area to jump into, as there's not an agreed standard and it isn't a mature technology. And lag of any sort would kill games dead to the level Nintendo want.

It's not to say it's impossible, and you have to assume Nintendo wouldn't adopt anything less than good enough. But with the nature of what we are talking about it is a concern. Even with stereoscopic displays for example they waited until the technology had been matured enough to a decent enough degree. But still not perfect.

Controls for Nintendo though really have to be perfect. Anyway, definitely going to be an interesting time on GAF the next couple of days.

PantherLotus said:
I don't see why people are freaking out about motion anyway. It'll probably come with a sensor bar or something.

Because if there is a Cafe-mote and it's not the standard controller, it will be extremely easy to not support for third-party ports. Also, very little will be built from the ground up for it. It'll likely get the support of Move or Kinect, which isn't that much when not directly supported by the first-party.

Worse would be support of the Wiimote, at which point you couldn't even guarantee each Cafe owner had one. Basically, we barely scratched the surface of the potential for pointer controls. I'd hate to see it go away so soon.

Instro

snesfreak said:
Nintendo is doomed!
bender-doomed.jpg

New system, same bullshit.
I'll be there day one (or whatever day UPS delivers it.)
It's Nintendo, it WILL be awesome.

UPS always delivers super late at night for me, really defeats the purpose of launch day shipping when it arrives at like 8pm.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
artwalknoon said:
Yeah I'm sure its fake but its a nice mock up based on those other fake images. Also the OP says the ability to stream different media with the console acting as a terminal. Does that mean one person could be playing a game on their screen while another could be watching a movie on their own? Is this a feature that has been rumored?
What's in the OP is about as detailed as it got, but yes, that bullet point could have a lot of different potential implications.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
So some people think a 6" screen is huge, and others think it is tiny. Go figure.

At 16x9 it's going to be wide as fuck. I'm sure it'll end up being comfortable, Nintendo's engineers know what they're doing.

Christine

I say: fake. The 4-LED thing looks ripped from a wii remote, doesn't make sense as an indicator on a console, and is magically lit despite the fact that the console isn't plugged into anything.

Then again, maybe it's battery powered. So who knows? The tablet controller might be effectively portable as long as you carry the base unit around strapped to your belt.

DECK'ARD said:
Yes Nintendo is Nintendo, but this would be a *very* un-Nintendo area to jump into, as there's not an agreed standard and it isn't a mature technology. And lag of any sort would kill games dead to the level Nintendo want.

It's not to say it's impossible, and you have to assume Nintendo wouldn't adopt anything less than good enough. But with the nature of what we are talking about it is a concern. Even with stereoscopic displays for example they waited until the technology had been matured enough to a decent enough degree. But still not perfect.

Controls for Nintendo though really have to be perfect. Anyway, definitely going to be an interesting time on GAF the next couple of days.
Considering it is Nintendo I wouldn't be worried. They've probably thought over everything on here that's been said x10000.

EmCeeGramr said:
That looks really fake. At least I hope it is. It looks ugly, like a modem or a generic TV box.

Indeed. To plasticy, you know?

Ut looks straight up like a wireless router, which is cool considering its all about streaming info.

mattx5

I'm sure this point is obvious and was made when the rumour first hit, but it literally just occurred to me that, with the right processing power/configuration, this could allow one person to be playing their single player campaign on the TV screen while their friend/significant other/family member plays from their save file on the controller - simultaneous access of different scenarios from one game (though this might require data to be accessed from a hard drive). No more fights over who gets to play and when.

CoffeeJanitor said:
Considering it is Nintendo I wouldn't be worried. They've probably thought over everything on here that's been said x10000.

No doubt. Things like this are planned for years. Iwata's Nintendo is proactive one. I love this era.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
CoffeeJanitor said:

Well yeah I'd imagine so, so the details and what exactly they are using are going to be interesting.

Neiteio

I want the new system to be called the Nintendo Rush Hour, with Jackie Chan emblazoned on one side of the console, and Chris Tucker on the other, and when it boots up you hear "DO YOU-A SPEAK-A ANY ENGLISH?" or "DO YOU-A UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMIN OUTTA MY MOUTH?" And the main menu is a copy/paste of the spinning Chinese food takeout box from the main menu of the Rush Hour 2 DVD.

or they could call it stream i'd be cool with that too

dwu8991

Banned
carlo6529 said:
It will have to have its own speakers with a jack to plug in a headset. How you supposed to play a game away from the tv without sound? Probably same speakers found in 3DS.

Yeah, sounds about right!!!

carlo6529

Nirolak said:
That looks kind of small given the rumored hardware.

There's a lot of heat to dissipate.

Iwata likes his consoles small. On another note though, pretty sure its fake, ugly as hell to boot and where the fuck am I supposed to put my coffee?

Big One

Banned
The shape and size looks exactly like a case that Microsoft uses for their software and OSes nowadays. Looks like a modified version of that...plus, the system itself should have gloss, and I doubt it has wireless electrical abilities...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
DECK'ARD said:

Wait wait wai...what's not a mature technology? Touch screens? Streaming? You can't be serious.

And again, of all the things one would worry about with Nintendo, why controls, why now? If anything that's their singular brand promise that they've never strayed from.

Freezie KO said:
Because if there is a Cafe-mote and it's not the standard controller, it will be extremely easy to not support for third-party ports. Also, very little will be built from the ground up for it. It'll likely get the support of Move or Kinect, which isn't that much when not directly supported by the first-party.

Worse would be support of the Wiimote, at which point you couldn't even guarantee each Cafe owner had one. Basically, we barely scratched the surface of the potential for pointer controls. I'd hate to see it go away so soon.

I think you guys should read what Amir0x writes more often. You can probably forget about the WiiMotes altogether, honestly. The pointer is obviously dead, and touch screens killed it. And forget about Move and Kinect -- if you haven't really seen or absorbed that Nintendo doesn't really base decisions off of their competitors, you're not really paying attention.

And to suggest that any of this is based on 3rd party support? I'd say going back to a traditional control system with a nice fat tablet in between the main buttons is the way to get that back, but seriously, Nintendo still doesn't really care about exclusives or w/e imaginary hard core 3rd party strategies you guys think up around here.

I dunno. I just think a lot of you guys aren't seeing the big picture here, and are assuming this is actually Wii2, and not a brand new Nintendo console. Maybe it'll have motion, but I'd take a decently large bet that the console isn't built around that at all. I could be very wrong.

Neiteio

Pretty funny we're going from a split controller to a dual-analog accordion-sized behemoth with a built-in widescreen tablet. NINTENDO, YOU KWAZY. And I love it, Day One. Or should I say, Day Fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom